He's obviously the bogeyman of all bogeymen at NCFC, through reasons not really of his own making. He's was far from the first footballer to stick to his contractual rights (as he apparently did at Norwich) in any case. However, everything I have read about the man's character and off-field activities has been positive:

(Google S.Naismith's charities.)

"Naismith is an ambassador for Dyslexia Scotland, launched a scheme to help ease the progress of injured ex-service personnel back into work, and supports centres for the homeless in Glasgow and Liverpool."

There is probably more.

He does seem like a good guy in general but as the OP says, easy for him to take the cut when he's been earning about £2m a year from us. Less easy for a younger player on £1k p/w.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

He does seem like a good guy in general but as the OP says, easy for him to take the cut when he's been earning about £2m a year from us. Less easy for a younger player on £1k p/w.

Yeah, imagine only getting five hundred quid a week for not playing football. Poor lads. 

14 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Yeah, imagine only getting five hundred quid a week for not playing football. Poor lads. 

Imagine having your income chopped in half unexpectedly- sure it isn't poverty wages but if you've got a mortgage, outgoing etc etc it makes a huge difference. 

Just now, king canary said:

Imagine having your income chopped in half unexpectedly- sure it isn't poverty wages but if you've got a mortgage, outgoing etc etc it makes a huge difference. 

I have had my income chopped, to less than half. So I do know exactly what its like. And I wasnt on as much as a grand a week ( before stoppages and exoenses)before losing several jobs for the foreseeable future.  The Joy's of self employment. Fortunately we have a vegetable garden, and my wife is old school proper cook from scratch, make do and mend kinda gal. Also only live half a mile from the sea which will soon be giving me shrimp, crab, the odd fish untill mackerel  arrive etc.  Footballers wages being cut,especially in top divisions, is a first world problem. Many lower league players, including league of ireland prem are not being paid at all as of now....they are the guys to feel for.

Dont mistake my posts for being uncaring, just feel young players  losing a chunk of already inflated wages comes pretty low down on list of major concerns.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

He's obviously the bogeyman of all bogeymen at NCFC, through reasons not really of his own making. He's was far from the first footballer to stick to his contractual rights (as he apparently did at Norwich) in any case. However, everything I have read about the man's character and off-field activities has been positive:

(Google S.Naismith's charities.)

"Naismith is an ambassador for Dyslexia Scotland, launched a scheme to help ease the progress of injured ex-service personnel back into work, and supports centres for the homeless in Glasgow and Liverpool."

There is probably more.

**** me, Naismith could have bought a £1 vase from Oxfam and that would contribute more to charity than he ever contributed to City! Biggest ripoff merchant ever, at least the others who never made the grade put some effort in, Naismith had the talent but couldn’t be arsed for us.

Edited by Indy