Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

American And British Football - Let's Take The Best From Each

With Super Bowl Sunday happening this weekend, I thought it''s timely that we give thought to how the two sports might draw on each other for enhancements:

• With respect to huddling, I think the Americans should adopt the British method. One huddle at the start of the game should be all that grown men need, and as much as the rest of us can handle.
  • I think portly British footballers should be allowed to wear the American shoulder pads. This would enhance their image for the young female fans ( some of the older ones too ).
  • I quite like the American helmets and think they should be implemented in the British game, but only for the managers who are increasingly facing danger from restless fans.
  • I also like the American rule of one squad for the offense and another for the defense. So, for the British game, as soon as the football crosses from one half to the other, the referee would blow his whistle and the offensive eleven gets replaced by the defensive eleven. They could each have their own coach and, whichever squad performs best over a ten game stretch, the winning coach would have dibs on the club''s premium parking spot. This will get those buggers motivated. 
  • I do prefer the Britsh game with respect to it being a game of two halves. There is no sound reason why American football needs four quarters. They have a half-time show anyway and, based upon some of the games I''ve seen this season, as far as I''m concerned they could have thrown the towel in at the end of three quarters.

Well, there are some thoughts. Can you add anything to that list?

American Sports:

Football its just an overblown game of catch, in England we leave playing catch to the girls.

Baseball its just an overblown game of rounders, in England we leave playing rounders to the girls.

Basketball its just an overblown game of netball, in England we leave playing netball to the girls.

Having cheerful people come to YOU with Coke, popcorn etc, not having to queue up with 2000 other supporters.

Cheerleaders..........mmmm

I think four quarters would help City - more chances to do a huddle, more inspirational team talks, and more opportunities for the sell-out crowd to get some entertainment for our hard-earned cash!

Sunny weather would be nice - or a stadium with a roof.

The game itself? Nah, loada rubbish!

One is a sport the other isn''t.

Unfortunately we could well be heading that way if some of the halfwits have their way.

Like it. Breaker; always thought Norwich city could do with more breaks. and at first half kick off, maybe the whistle should be blown twice to make sure that Norwich are ready for the game.

There is only one American sport that I follow and I think is only the real decent one, and that is NHL Ice Hockey. For me American Football has to many stoppages and you cant get the non-stop tempo and thrill like you do with our Football. Basketball is OK but yet again its one end to the other just scoring so its pretty predictable. Baseball I could never get into so I wont go into that. So for me the only decent fun game to watch over in the US is the NHL. I am a Penguins fan [:$] 

''Soccer''  =  "No Helmets!" " No Pads!"............................. "JUST BALLS!" ;~)

"Don''t mind those luvverleee cheerleader''s though! YUM YUM! COR!

Love this post

As I am an englishman living in canada i have always wondered how they figured out the name of american and canadian football    As people have said throughout this thread  american football has 4quarters of which i could never undestand and even more mind boogeling is how they got the name of football  because if anybody in the uk has actually watched the game they only kick the ball maybe in the whole game 15- 20 times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!go figure

but i do agree with breaker and mell     love those cheerleaders though  and as for sports in canada  there are 2   ice hockey and the evergrowing as we call it soccer

comes from Rugby... which in Wales is referred to as "football" and our game as Soccer.. when I was at school we had a welsh PE teacher... every time he mentioned football he was talking about rugby!!!! its sort of similar to how the NFL version got its name

jas :)