Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

EPL new plan

"New plan is 'for games to restart on June 1 and for them all to finish in six weeks'

If season can be finished this way, it would allow new campaign to start on time, August 8th

Under the Premier League's new plans, games will played behind closed doors 

FA Cup to be completed"

So that's 96 matches + FA Cup in 6 weeks

Deluded

😂😂😂😂😂😂 absolute bunch of clowns

2 or 3 games per day, on a rotation seems doable to be fair. Would be similar schedule to a euros or World Cup comp

Edited by kick it off

Leaving aside other obvious and crucial objections, what is odd is that six weeks would take the season past the June 30 date when contracts run out. I know there are plans to get round that, but such plans cannot force players or loaning clubs to go along with them.

The Scottish PFA rep who is a Motherwell player (I think) was interviewed about this on the radio this morning. He was a bit surprised that no one was speaking to the players unions. 

The EPL seem to be forgetting that the EFL are going to have to follow suit. That makes it over 400 matches in 6 weeks, all needing medical support. And what about European football? 

It's pretty obvious from the numbers that the FA Cup would have to be scrapped. If not, we will be putting out a youth team. 

A week ago I had quite strong feelings about this. But I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't really care any more. I've barely missed a game in 50 years and right now I'm not really bothered. Is it just me or have the government and football authorities misjudged public opinion. Doctors in hospitals or at football grounds doesn't seem a difficult choice at the moment. 

I would vote for relegation rather than this nonsense 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

The way this virus is taking a stranglehold in the UK starting on June 1st could still be a tall order.

It will only take one case of coronavirus to derail this plan, surely one is a likelihood.  Maybe some suspicious cases might come about from clubs who wouldn't want to see the season completed.  No names you can guess who this might be.

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

The way this virus is taking a stranglehold in the UK starting on June 1st could still be a tall order.

Exactly . You're not hitting peak infection rates in the UK for a few weeks yet. It'll be April 1st in Ten days. 

It's impossible.

First there's the issue of contracts. Many Premier League players are out on contract on June 30, however most of these would probably agree to a two-week extension. The players on loan or those who have agreed moves would be much more difficult to organise, because if either the player or one of the clubs involved, whether domestic or overseas, objects to a contract extension then there's nothing the Premier League can do to force them. If several players/clubs choose not to extend contracts then the final few games would see teams lose players 'unfairly', in a sporting sense.

Secondly, there are the other competitions. There are some clubs still in the FA Cup, there are some in a European competition and a couple of clubs are in both. What if UEFA wants to play their tournaments in June, as is their current plan? What if the FA wants to finish the FA Cup then? The teams still in all three competitions could potentially have 17 games to play if they reach the finals, so they would need nine or ten weeks to complete everything.

That's before we get to the obvious problem of the virus. We don't know what the situation will be like in ten weeks, and as has been said previously, one or two cases within a squad and the whole thing comes crashing down again.

This season will not finish before the next one is due to start.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

I know.. let just put all the teams in alphabetical order and call it season over.:classic_laugh:

There easy. Job done 

As sensible as some of the stuff these idiots are coming out with.

Surely this must be all fantasy stuff, designed purely to appease/blindside those who desperately don’t want a void season, and the broadcasters.

Come June the PL will have to say, ‘oh well- we tried’ best endeavours etc. but impossible still, force majeure don’t you know. Then they’re in a clearer position to resist the legal assaults.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

I know.. let just put all the teams in alphabetical order and call it season over.:classic_laugh:

There easy. Job done 

Arsenal fans are just gonna complain when Bournemouth insist on being called AFC Bournemouth

• Haha 1

Still the media are pushing for finishing this season before doing anything else. Why muck up two seasons when there is a chance to only curtail one.

Yet Southampton official waffling on about playing behind closed doors before the virus is fully clear.

1 hour ago, BarclayWazza said:

Arsenal fans are just gonna complain when Bournemouth insist on being called AFC Bournemouth

Well, as a special accommodation we can put the table in reverse alphabetical order.

There, all settled. 

• Like 2

Load of old tosh, players are going down with the virus, wont be match fit, you cant play footy and social distance, absolute nonsense.

If you dont like my listing teams by alphabetical order..

... what about by operating profit ?

Edited by Yellow Fever

Think about this. Medical support. Player injured as part of in-game, while VAR decides if it's a Red card for the goal keeper at the other end of the pitch....

"Hi 999 we decided to play sport of our own accord, please send an ambulance to our start £55m player who is currently critically injured."

"sorry mate, we are too busy with the lives of people who are invaluable" hangs up. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Norfolk Dan said:

Think about this. Medical support. Player injured as part of in-game, while VAR decides if it's a Red card for the goal keeper at the other end of the pitch....

"Hi 999 we decided to play sport of our own accord, please send an ambulance to our start £55m player who is currently critically injured."

"sorry mate, we are too busy with the lives of people who are invaluable" hangs up. 

I’m adamant that the government won’t allow matches to happen, hardly social distancing having a full squad and staff in the changing rooms and then playing on the pitch is it!? Germany have just announced social distancing to the measures of only 2 people. Then you have the issues of medics and ambulances and a seriously injured player needing hospital treatment when the staff are ran of their feet treating the sick and dying. Can’t and won’t happen, they are simply kicking the can down the  road waiting for the government to take it out of their hands and pass the buck on the blame

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BarclayWazza said:

Zenit St Petersburg are none too pleased that this has been proposed in Russia............

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, GenerationA47 said:

Surely this must be all fantasy stuff, designed purely to appease/blindside those who desperately don’t want a void season, and the broadcasters.

Come June the PL will have to say, ‘oh well- we tried’ best endeavours etc. but impossible still, force majeure don’t you know. Then they’re in a clearer position to resist the legal assaults.

Nope, there is always going to be planning for various possibilities. Whether it is suitable to play in two and a half months time can be seen then. Not to plan for it is absurd, as two and a half months previous folk had barely heard of the virus.

As to times scale we played 7 games in 31 days in December - 8 if you add Jan 1st.

Regarding deaths the brutal fact is it is not about curtailing the number of deaths it is about spreading out the number needing treatment, so the hospitals are not overwhelmed. Much as A&E  would not be swamped with injured drunks at the weekend if the same numbers were spread over the full seven days.

I am sure there are plans for all manner of events in Norwich alone, mostly based on some sort of disaster, so it would be foolish to not plan just because it was not likely to happen. So let them get on with the planning and see what happens nearer the time.

Edited by Bill

9 hours ago, JF said:

I’m adamant that the government won’t allow matches to happen, hardly social distancing having a full squad and staff in the changing rooms and then playing on the pitch is it!? Germany have just announced social distancing to the measures of only 2 people. Then you have the issues of medics and ambulances and a seriously injured player needing hospital treatment when the staff are ran of their feet treating the sick and dying. Can’t and won’t happen, they are simply kicking the can down the  road waiting for the government to take it out of their hands and pass the buck on the blame

It's the Government that is encouraging this. The EPL says that the Government has contacted them and said it will be good for morale if foot starts as soon as possible. 

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It's the Government that is encouraging this. The EPL says that the Government has contacted them and said it will be good for morale if foot starts as soon as possible. 

Kind words from an uncaring administration. It's ALL spin. Their words mean nothing, or  taken at face value ,crass. Of course it would be good for morale for footy to start , but it wont happen until safely viable. It's all wind, just wind.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

The government needs the £3bn tax that football brings in. Money will talk

Disagree Zaco, even this bunch of cretins wouldn't be so stupid as to use medical staff for anything as irrelevant as  footy, until  the situation is contained and declining. Even then front line staff will need a rest. Fact is, we CAN live without it for a while.

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 1

£3 billion is a drop in the ocean compared to what is and will be spent over the period.

From yesterday's Sunday Times:

"The documents published by the government on Friday provide a long-term, if distinctly gloomy, framework for the coming year.  Tough social distancing measures may be required until autumn, with the possibility of occasional let-ups as the crisis moves into the next year."

I hope that is unduly pessimistic but, if not, that seems to provide little likelihood of anything happening for at least 5-6 months.  Of course, if the virus responds to summer as originally hoped then things might change. 

18 minutes ago, wooster said:

Of course, if the virus responds to summer as originally hoped then things might change. 

It's spreading through Africa and Australia. Warm weather has no impact whatsoever.

5 minutes ago, kick it off said:

It's spreading through Africa and Australia. Warm weather has no impact whatsoever.

100% this.  The virus may not relish warmer temps but they dont stop it. Too much clutching at straws.

2 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Sadly that appears to be the case,  it definitely continues to spread, I’m not sure if we know whether transmission is reduced however. Even simple stuff like being outdoors may reduce infection in a small way, perhaps more UV will effect how long it survives on surfaces, but it certainly doesn’t suppress it in the same way as a flu virus.