Herman

Small Claim To Fame.

Just for a bit of fun and take your mind off more pressing problems what lessen known celebrity have you met, brushed up against or tried to avoid. (This idea is blatantly stolen from Shaun Keaveny's 6music show.)

My most memorable one is seeing Don Estelle in Hatfield Woolco's when I was a kid.

image.png.5ed8d582d9268384f427de6029017304.png

And I have also seen the following group of A listers on the London Underground.

Charlie Stayt (i think.)

Chris Kamara

Rory McGrath

The singer from Doves.

NCFC related.

I once saw Mike Walker in a POW road curry house. My girlfriend at the time said well done on the win to him.😀

8 minutes ago, Herman said:

And I have also seen the following group of A listers on the London Underground.

Charlie Stayt (i think.)

Chris Kamara

Rory McGrath

The singer from Doves.

NCFC related.

I once saw Mike Walker in a POW road curry house. My girlfriend at the time said well done on the win to him.😀

I once bumped into Arthur Scargill on the underground at Kings Cross.

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

I bet you tried to push him off the platform 😀

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

My mate, a lifelong Labour voter, once saw John Prescott and was dissappointed to find him a bit rude, whereas Ken Clarke and Nigel Lawson were the perfect gents.

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

I bet you tried to push him off the platform 😀

No, but his comb-over went all of a squiff😁

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

No, but his comb-over went all of a squiff😁

Oh yes - the comb-over I had forgotten that! I always thought of Scargill as an capitalist establishment double-agent, a like Corbyn :classic_biggrin: "Plants" to ensure that at critical moments in our history credible arguments for alternative  actions were destroyed by implausible idiots.

I’m no Tory but Ken Clarke is a great chap, a dying breed of politician who I have a lot of time for compared to the bunch of (insert stoing word here) that we have now.  The way he was treated by his own party at the back end of last year was utterly disgraceful. 

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Herman said:

My mate, a lifelong Labour voter, once saw John Prescott and was dissappointed to find him a bit rude, whereas Ken Clarke and Nigel Lawson were the perfect gents.

I always had a lot of time for ken Clarke - although disagreed with him about a lot. I've got a selfie with him and a signed copy of his autobiography (sad or what!)

BTW, he says in it that Thatcher wanted to privatise the NHS, so we have him to thank for its continued existence!

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

Oh yes - the comb-over I had forgotten that! I always thought of Scargill as an capitalist establishment double-agent, a like Corbyn :classic_biggrin: "Plants" to ensure that at critical moments in our history credible arguments for alternative  actions were destroyed by implausible idiots.

LOL😁

I think it must have been during the strike. He had a big leather bag with him that bumped into me. I often wondered if it was stuffed with cash, looted from the NUM fund.😉

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I’m no Tory but Ken Clarke is a great chap, a dying breed of politician who I have a lot of time for compared to the bunch of (insert stoing word here) that we have now.  The way he was treated by his own party at the back end of last year was utterly disgraceful. 

Agree completely. Losing politicians like him and Nicholas Soames was a big mistake.

9 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I once stood behind Helen Mirren in the queue at airport security. That's about my lot.

Sham she wasn't behind you. You could've accidentally tripped backwards 😜

I was running from Camden to Euston to catch the last train after a Farmer's Boys gig in the early 80s when I saw Telly Savalas coming out of a Greek restaurant. I swore at him for getting in the way.

New Year's Eve 2016, I was at Nambucca in Holloway Road waiting for Rick Witter and Paul Banks from Shed Seven to do an acoustic concert. Someone sat down next to me and we started chatting about music. He said he'd had a Top 5 hit with Chase and Status and tried to send me a YouTube clip of him on Jools Holland's show but it wouldn't play. I played it when I got home. His name is Liam Bailey.

Much more recently, a friend of ours has been going out with Dave McCabe, lead singer of The Zutons and the writer of Amy Winehouse's hit Valerie so I've met him twice.

I saw Bruce Grobelaar at Heathrow once and also met Roy from Eastenders in the late 90s at a hydroelectric plant in north wales.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

My cricket team was on a tour in Nottingham (OK, alcohol was involved too) and Ken Clarke and his wife walked into the pub where we were having lunch, and he nodded to us.

17 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Fixed.

True, but Amy's was a bigger hit and is much more well known.

He also licked my wife's face once in a club in Liverpool 😳 And she burnt Pete De Freitas-Echo and the Bunnymen's drummer-with a cigarette.

And Pete Reilly from The View came to our wedding reception.

Met Magnus Pyke after he did a lecture at our school .

He who ? Say the younger amongst us . 

Wish he was still around to explain this Coronavirus to me properly in his own inimitable way . Marvellous eccentric . 

Edited by Pockthorpe
  • Like 1

I’ve served Steve Redgrave a glass of champagne, sold Rich Hall some cigarettes  and briefly met Sandi Togsvig. Tim Burgess from the Charlatans comes into the shop reasonably regularly, really nice bloke. I still get a bit of a buzz when he says “ hello mate, how are you” when he comes in. Rick Wakeman came in once or twice, miserable s0d.

I sat at the same bar with Ian and Liam Botham, who were visiting Sarah at the Ballymaloe Cookery School in Ireland. 

And I followed Steven Moffatt into the Doctor Who prom at The Royal Albert Hall a few years back. 

Jack Charlton (and his wife) was in the seat in front on our honeymoon flight. Next to Denis Law at an airport. And one more flight related one...was on same flight with Uri Geller (to Budapest). When we landed a red carpet was put out but just for him not any other passengers!

From work I used to have to show politicians round, Grant Schapps, David Davis from most recent politics. The latter was easy to talk to and was open about his leadership chances. He knew Cameron would win. My wife always ribs me saying "there's your mate" every time he's in TV (he is not my political flavour).

Finally, saw George Best stumble literally out on to the street in front of me from a night club on a rainy afternoon in London.

Met Wilco Johnson, Elvis Costello and a few more musicians. I supported Wilco when in a band in the 80s. Asked him if we could do more gigs backstage and he replied simply, "No".

Favourite people I've met have all not been famous.

Edited by sonyc

30 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

True, but Amy's was a bigger hit and is much more well known.

Yeah, I know, unfortunately. I like both The Zutons and Amy Winehouse, but the song was written and originally performed by The Zutons and their version is much better, in my opinion. Amy Winehouse is obviously much more famous so her cover of the song a couple of years later received a lot more airplay so the general public seems to think it's her song. I'm guessing The Zutons are pretty happy with the arrangement though as they've no doubt made a fortune in royalties from it.

14 minutes ago, sonyc said:
14 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Jack Charlton (and his wife) was in the seat in front on our honeymoon flight. Next to Denis Law at an airport. And one more flight related one...was on same flight with Uri Geller (to Budapest). When we landed a red carpet was put out but just for him not any other passengers!

From work I used to have to show politicians round, Grant Schapps, David Davis from most recent politics. The latter was easy to talk to and was open about his leadership chances. He knew Cameron would win. My wife always ribs me saying "there's your mate" every time he's in TV (he is not my political flavour).

Finally, saw George Best stumble literally out on to the street in front of me from a night club on a rainy afternoon in London.

Met Wilco Johnson, Elvis Costello and a few more musicians. I supported Wilco when in a band in the 80s. Asked him if we could do more gigs backstage and he replied simply, "No".

Favourite people I've met have all not been famous.

I saw Wilko in 1987-I didn’t get him at all-I thought his Duck Walk was a bit embarrassing really. What was your band called?

Edited by Mr Angry
Double quote

Just now, Mr Angry said:

I saw Wilko 

I saw Wilko in 1987-I didn’t get him at all-I thought his Duck Walk was a bit embarrassing really. What was your band called?

After a pub in Crewe, "The Bitter End"!

1 minute ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

I was in a pub with Frankie Howard once.

Saw Peter Ebdon at Banham zoo. He took 15 minutes to decide which ice-cream he wanted.

OTBC

Haha, I got the joke there, DDJ 😂

2 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

I was in a pub with Frankie Howard once.

Saw Peter Ebdon at Banham zoo. He took 15 minutes to decide which ice-cream he wanted.

OTBC

Was Steve Davis also in the queue?

I waited while my brother had a drunken conversation with Roger Black after a Roddy Frame concert (my brother was drunk, Roger was completely sober). Also was followed into a toilet at another Roddy  Frame concert by actor Tony Gardner.