Herman

Small Claim To Fame.

1 minute ago, minestrone said:

Stayed at a very ordinary hotel in Jersey about 1983 with an ex girlfriend. Downstairs in the hotel was a function room where they held  ‘entertainment’ each night. The host was Shane Richie in what was probably one of his earliest jobs. He took a shine to us (maybe her only?) and gave us a copy of a single he had just had made! Saw ex Lib Dem MP, while he was still on the tele regularly, at a tube station after we played away to Charlton, probably in the 80’s.

Stood next to Steve Bruce in the toilets at The Buck at Thorpe River Green. Can’t remember the year but he still played for us. Usual polite nods were exchanged.

Had loads of contact with football people of many levels through previous job, weirdest one was Roy Keane while he was still manager down the road. Pleasant but intimidating! Also Jeff Sterling and some of the Saturday football pundits on the Friday night at a hotel in West London.

Sorry MP was Simon Hughes.

21 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I once stood behind Helen Mirren in the queue at airport security. That's about my lot.

Same, although it was in the pub at Stansted departures.

I also used to be related to Rick Parfitt.

I have a John Peel story, which does go on a bit, so I shall keep it as brief as possible.

20 odd years ago, maybe more, I was involved with a local Suffolk and Ipswich League team which ran three sides at various levels. One of John Peel's (John Ravenscroft's) sons signed on for our 'A' team - Tom Ravenscroft, who was in his late teens at the time. He was a really good and popular lad.

At the same time I got involved in a little social / drinking group, maybe 6 or 8 of us who met in the same pub every Friday. We dabbled in wholesaling organic wholefoods, just as a sideline, and always had a good laugh when we got down to the pub. We put more effort into drinking than we put into marketing.

One particular night we were having an impromptu pop quiz which ran on and on into the early hours as the beer flowed. There reached a point where we were deadlocked over the answer to a particular question. One of our group - Mick O - insisted that a sixties singer 'Clarence Frogman Henry' had recorded a certain tune. None of the rest of us had even heard of Clarence Frogman Henry, so we refused to accept the answer. Mick dug his heels in this, and the dispute went on and on and on.

Bear in mind it was after 2am and we had been drinking for hours, because what happened next does us no credit. Suddenly, Mick O got to his feet and walked over to the telephone which sat on the bar and said 'I know how to settle this'. Now, Mick managed the football team that Tom Ravenscroft played for, so he had John Peel's home telephone number. So, no matter the unearthly time, he rang the number, with us inanely giggling in the background.

The phone rang and rang and eventually an extremely bleary John Peel answered. Mick simply asked 'Sorry to trouble you John, but have you heard of Clarence Frogman Henry?' With minimal hesitation, John Peel said 'No I haven't', and hung up.

That should be the end of an embarrassing little story, but it wasn't. About two years after, on a sunny Sunday lunchtime, I found myself with Mick O and families at a North Suffolk pub called Cotton Trowel and Hammer. We were in the beer garden where there was a large swimming pool which drew the crowds in as soon as the sun shone.

Sitting in the beer garden, Mick O suddenly reacted like dog which had got the scent of a rabbit.  He had spotted John Peel and his family a few tables away, and like the naive guy he was he upped and walked across to JP's table and fixed his stare quizzically upon the world famous broadcaster. 

Eventually, John Peel enquired 'Do I know you?, to which Mick replied with three fateful words - 'Clarence Frogman Henry'.

It is fair to say that JP was not amused. He said ' Do you know I had to go ex-Directory because of you, you c**t'. And that was it, end of conversation.

I still find the story embarrassing and amusing in equal measure. The evils of alcohol!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I remember Don Estelle singing and selling his records in Hunstanton Woolworth's for a few summers in the 1980's. Always thought it was a bit sad. bless him....

Stood next to Gary Moore at a ZZ Top gig at the old Hammy Odeon.

Bob Wilson used to stay at his Mum's in Brancaster some summers, we once, village kids, summed up the courage to knock on the door and ask for an autograph....he was out.

Sat in a Jacuzzi with Sir Alex Ferguson

Played football against Wayne Rooney

Was part of channel 4's documentary Sweet16 which was on everyday for a weke.

43 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

OK, this one is going to beat you all hands down.

I'm good friends with the chap who just won 'Best Beagle' at Crufts.

2020_BGL_BOB.jpg.0a51b8d83f20b14b9d2e784e0ab28da7.jpg

OTBC

Does the dog fire out its business like little rockets. 😀

5 hours ago, Pete Raven said:

I also used to be related to Rick Parfitt.

So that's one degree of separation  between us then Peteo. 

We did this as an ice breaker at a meeting at work, going round the table one by one until one guy said “I’ve had dinner with Nelson Mandela”. No point carrying on after that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

We did this as an ice breaker at a meeting at work, going round the table one by one until one guy said “I’ve had dinner with Nelson Mandela”. No point carrying on after that.

It is a bit of a Top Trump Nuffo , who beats  Mandela? .....Yoda?  I suppose turfing Genghis  Khan  out of his yurt for smelling of  horses  is quite impressive,  but I've  never done that. 

Had dinner with Ray Allen, who wrote "Some Mothers Do Ave Em", he put horse radish on his pudding.

• Haha 1

We met Rodney Bewes, who was manning a bouncy castle on a fun fair in Cornwall, during a family holiday in the late 70s.

Ooh, ooh, just remembered meeting several z list celebs via a family relationship with Steffen Iversen. Sarah Harding was one that springs to mind. And Jensen Button. Thierry Henri's ex wife ...

Apparently Steff's still playing football!

On 22/03/2020 at 13:35, PurpleCanary said:

My cricket team was on a tour in Nottingham (OK, alcohol was involved too) and Ken Clarke and his wife walked into the pub where we were having lunch, and he nodded to us.

Of course, but just to be clear, that incident was Ken Clarke's claim to fame...🤩

6 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

We met Rodney Bewes, who was manning a bouncy castle on a fun fair in Cornwall, during a family holiday in the late 70s.

He'd fallen on hard times then?

Now, everyone remembers 'that' milk advert with the two boys: "Accrington Stanley...Who are they?...Exactly". Well, I lived with a girl who previously 'went out with' the brother of one of those boys (not sure which one); and, by 'lived with', I mean: I lived on the ground floor of four in student accommodation and this girl lived in on the top floor on the opposite side so, while we lived in the same building, it was about as far apart as possible with that building.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Now, everyone remembers 'that' milk advert with the two boys: "Accrington Stanley...Who are they?...Exactly". Well, I lived with a girl who previously 'went out with' the brother of one of those boys (not sure which one); and, by 'lived with', I mean: I lived on the ground floor of four in student accommodation and this girl lived in on the top floor on the opposite side so, while we lived in the same building, it was about as far apart as possible with that building.

I think I might have mentioned this before but my wife was in a club in Liverpool and one of the lads in the advert was out celebrating his 21st birthday. I’m not sure which one. He was telling people that he was in the Accrington Stanley advert but she was the only one who remembered it!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

That's freaky......I was a young lad on an internal flight from Heathrow to Newquay Airport in the late 70s and sat next to Rodney Bewes on the plane.....I asked if I could have his window seat and he replied with a wry smile...."Not Likely Lad".....

I had two brushes with celebrity at Holborn tube station albeit some years apart.

Holborn tube sits on the corner of Kingsway and High Holborn. It’s quite a blind corner and can be a bit difficult to navigate when it’s busy. On this particular day I came bowling around the corner and ran slap bang into this fella. I bounced off him and after giving him the once over said, “You’re Phil Jupitas” he just gave me that smile he does that says “and you are a ****head”. I immediate confirmed this by saying “gosh, you’re a lot taller than I expected”. Oh dear!

The second was on the east bound platform of the central line at mid afternoon. When I got on the platform there was just me and this other bloke. I wanted to be where he was standing so I was near the entrance at my next stop. It’s a bit weird to go and stand right next to some stranger, so in an early form of social distancing I moved to about two metres away from him. It was Bradley Walsh. I looked at him and said “Alright?” and he looked awkwardly back and said “Yeah, you?”. I nodded and we then looked at our shoes for a couple of awkward minutes until the tube train arrived.

I just ignore anyone famous now as clearly I have nothing useful, clever or interesting to say to them!

I once sat about 6 seats down in the Jarrold Stand from Darren Huckerby who was injured at the time and sitting with his wife. Luckily he was too far away for me to engage him with my sparkling wit and conversation and he disappeared at half time 😬😳

• Like 1

It must be something to do with the Tube. Nobody seems to be on good form. As I double taked Mr McGrath he gave me the "don't even think about talking to me" look so I just nodded and walked on. I wasn't a big fan so I wouldn't have known what to say anyway.😀

Me and my mate once took the pi55 out of rotund arrow-chucker Leighton Rees at services just outside Brum in 1990. He was tucking into two portions of fish and chips.

We were on our way back from the 3-3 draw at Villa where Derek Mountfield scored a cracking og.

My wife and I went to Herts County show sometime in the 90s with our 2 dogs. She went to the toilet and while I was waiting outside with the dogs, Dave Lee Travis came by and admired them-can’t remember exactly what he said.

many many moons ago before I worked in the 'industry'

I was coming out of the Crown in Wells with the other half and we almost bumped into Odd Billy

as he got past I said "excuse me don't I know you..... and as he stared back I said " no....no. don't tell me...

......you're Tim Brooke Taylor " and turned away to say in aloid voice " see, I never forget a face..."

for every other charlie that spots them, you'll be the one they remember....more so if it's someone you don't like

19 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

My wife and I went to Herts County show sometime in the 90s with our 2 dogs. She went to the toilet and while I was waiting outside with the dogs, Dave Lee Travis came by and admired them-can’t remember exactly what he said.

Apparently he was a great admirer of puppies.

• Haha 1

On 25/03/2020 at 14:02, Nuff Said said:

He'd fallen on hard times then?

🎶  oh, what ever happened to you...🎶

Someone who mentioned Doctor Who just reminded me of the time I ended up going for a beer with someone from Only Fools And Horses. My friend, Anneke Wills, was in Doctor Who in the 60’s and she had many friends in the acting industry. She knew I loved OFAH, and she told me that she was good friends with Roger Lloyd-Pack (Trigger) and his wife, and I thought little more of it. A year or two later, I’m at home and playing my drums one sunny Dorset summers afternoon. By chance, I take my headphones off and at that moment I can hear someone knocking on my front door. I go downstairs open the front door, and there is Anneke. ‘Fancy a drink down the local?’ she said grinning as usual, and as I was going through quite a big Keith Moon and John Bonham phase, that was like a red rag to a bull ha ha. As I turn to start walking down the pub, she says ‘hang on!, there’s someone walking down the road that wants to meet you!’. As I turn around expecting to see the police, I can make out a tall chap walking down with a lady. My eyesight isn’t great at the best of times, but as they approach I suddenly realise it’s Trigger! I was a bit taken a back but managed to ‘play it cool, Trig’ and greeted him and his wife, and the 4 of us walked down into the pub. I won’t ever forget the look on some of the locals faces when we walked in there, Roger was obviously one of the most loved faces in TV history. Roger I quickly realised was a shy chap and only settled down once people respected his privacy and stopped asking for autographs. He was a lovely chap, a really genuinely nice and modest man, and we talked about all sorts of things over a few ales, and of course Only Fools And Horses. Him and his wife lived somewhere in either Norfolk or Suffolk but I can’t remember where it was, I think the Kings Lynn area, but he clearly loved living there and using the local market as much as possible, both him and his wife loved the quiet life away from the madness of showbiz. On our way back from the pub I offered a cup of tea at mine to relax after the madness, which was a bit surreal, and we all went in for a cuppa and further chat. I can remember putting the kettle on in the kitchen and pinching myself, thinking, WTF, f***ing Trigger is sat in my front room ha ha. Remembering I had every Only Fools And Horses DVD released, at the right moment, I gave him a copy and asked if he would sign it. I got more than I bargained for as he signed every single OFAH DVD I had. I was quite surprised at this as in the pub he’d politely refused autographs, not because he was up himself, far far from it, just I think he was too humble for that sort of thing, and was very shy when approached. Also he didn’t particularly warm to the ‘over the top’ landlord. Didn’t stop me asking though 🤦🏻‍♂️, but I got lucky. A really smashing chap, and it was a privilege to share his and his wife’s company for the afternoon, it was with great sadness that he died from cancer not so long after. RIP ‘Trig’, you definitely played it cool 👍🏼

492D0BD2-412A-48E6-A87F-EE3F9B5C0D1A.jpeg

• Like 2