Herman

Small Claim To Fame.

Had a very long, very drunken chat with Dr. John Cooper Clarke at a party about ten years ago. It was wide ranging I seem to remember, but all the specifics have gone.

Oh, apart from a joke I gave him, gratis; astonishingly I haven't heard him use it yet.

Rang Ken Campbell up once & told him to flash mob The Dome (I was working there at the time). He seemed to think he was talking to some kind of nutter ...

2 of my closest mates are in a band calledĀ The Cure. Consequently met more rock and film stars than I can even begin to list, and some are now also friends, but all very good people - Robert is very selective about his guest lists, both here and abroad.Ā Iā€™ve played music with The Cure, will be again this September, coronavirus permitting, and also onceĀ sung (briefly) with Paul Weller. One of my ex girlfriends was a PA for Bon Jovi, another is the mother of one of Liam Gallagherā€™s children, and my last girlfriend from Ukraine runsĀ heavyweight boxer Aleksandr Usykā€™s official merchandiseĀ - she would spend more time on the phone with him than me, but at least he was a very nice and funny bloke I must say (until he gets in the ring that is).Ā In England, he is wrongly called ā€˜Oleksandr Usykā€™ - it gets on their nerves a bit, doesnā€™t help that Sky Sports spell it this way. Btw, heā€™ll do Anthony Joshua no problem - those Ukrainianā€™s are a different breed entirely, and Sashaā€™s certainly cut from a different cloth.

22 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

I waited while my brother had a drunken conversation with Roger Black after a Roddy Frame concert (my brother was drunk, Roger was completely sober). Also was followed into a toilet at another Roddy Ā Frame concert by actor Tony Gardner.

Roddyā€™s solo concerts are excellent arenā€™t they?

Graham Norton before he was famous, busking on the underground.

Jonathan King (yes,that one) before he was exposed, I refused him entry to the medical emergency acces area at the Freddy Mercury Aids gig at Wembley, he had every pass under the sun around his neck, even tried the old. 'dont you know who I am' routine. For a few minutes I was one hell of a Jobsworth....but without the low grade scampi. He left muttering about getting a supervisor, I was that supervisor!!! Vile man.

Often see Jeremy Irons, he has a castle nearby.

Lord David Puttnam. Again, lives nearby.

When I was a kid, Henry Cooper stayed in a holiday chalet near my parents house, myself and a friend waited at the holiday camp gates from 6 am. He eventually went past around 1030....without stopping.

Ā 

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

Roddyā€™s solo concerts are excellent arenā€™t they?

Yeah, although I enjoyed the smaller venues more than the bigger ones he does now.

A few out in the big wide World, but in the confines of my own house, we had Bradley Walsh round ours last year, for a couple of brews. Lovely bloke.

On a NCFC front, we've had Sandy Kennon round ours (funnily enough he had aĀ brew also!)

13 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

image.thumb.png.61b93fc8c99694bfe98abd51af296518.png

Youā€™ve got that framed and hanging up in your hall havenā€™t you ? šŸ˜‰

10 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

But of course has no idea whatĀ  happened once he'd handed into the justice system.Ā  He'd done his bit, arresting international terrorist Billy Bragg, recently seen introducing the people from' back in time for the corner shop' on bbc, to Skiffle.Ā  Another threat to society successfullyĀ  rehabilitated.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I confess to once having a copy of The New Musical Express in which it appeared but over the years lost it somehow FF.

Thinking about it appearing in The New Musical Express must classify as something not many posters can say. šŸ˜œ

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ricardo said:

I once bumped into Arthur Scargill on the underground at Kings Cross.

Never trust a bloke with a shredded wheat as a hairpiece......

Just now, Mello Yello said:

Never trust a bloke with a shredded wheat as a hairpiece......

As I recall, he got on the tube at Kings Cross and was wearing a light coloured raincoat with all belts and pockets.Didn't even apologise when he biffed me with his big leather bag. His Barnet was well akimbošŸ˜€

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

As I recall, he got on the tube at Kings Cross and was wearing a light coloured raincoat with all belts and pockets.Didn't even apologise when he biffed me with his big leather bag. His Barnet was well akimbošŸ˜€

As well as a shredded wheat barnet, he alsoĀ had sour looking 'piggy eyes'......Oink.....Ā šŸ·

14 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Which side are you on šŸ™„

Is that Tilly with an 1p5wich supporter?

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Is that Tilly with an 1p5wich supporter?

Nah, its on Clapham Common , theyre off to meet George Michael.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Darren Dorling said:

Bit of a contrast, sir Bobby Robson in the 80s and the lotto lout about 10 years ago in a bookies in Dereham!Ā 

Ha ha Mikey Carroll,Ā  ohĀ  boy what a silly lad he was/ is.Ā  From the moment he won the lotto the car crash started, he was a Sun reporters dream.Ā 

On the same flight out of GatwickĀ as Iain Dowie (Crystal Palace manager at the time) after our 3-3 draw with Palace in April 2005.

He saw me wearing my colours,Ā came over,Ā and started chatting with me beforeĀ boarding. Ā We talked about the game, and the season - heĀ was a genuine, friendly bloke.

Always thought a lot of him afterĀ that.Ā 

Ā 

10 hours ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

LOL!!!! That's so very specific. Love it!

OTBC

I actually have two relatively decent claims to fame too, tbf.

I went to sixth form with Kit Harrington (Jon Snow in GOT) and we had a lot of mutual mates, so knocked about together.Ā I always thought him incredibly dull tbh, you'd never have predicted him being the one that went on to stardom!

My gran's uncle was A.A Milne who wrote Winnie The Pooh

I once stood in an urinal next to Tommy Cooper. We nodded (as you do)and he left before I didĀ saying "Better out than in" and gave that famous laugh. Everything he did was amusing in some way. If most said such things it wouldn't be funny. He was just funny, full stop.

Ā 

We were Ā in the bar of the Station Hotel(?) Chatham and were sitting at the next table to TC and that trusted secretary of his.

It was noticeable the enormous amounts of large G & T she was fetching him at speedy intervals.

Ā 

He was due to play live in Chatham later that evening.It was sad in a way that even a seasoned performer like Tommy Cooper needed to get tanked up before a performance. His drinking habits were known, but probably arose as a result ofĀ occupational habit.

Two I can't claim as I stayed well clear of and you'll understand why.Ā 

A large queue outside Letchworth's Halifax. A bank run? No worse. It was to meet Howard.Ā 

A large queue outside Waterstones in Norwich. JK Rowling? No. Jordan.Ā 

Both lead me in the opposite direction. Quickly.Ā šŸ˜€

I used to Roadie/sound engineer for The Groundhogs, mid eighties, we were doing a xmas gig in whitehaven, supportingĀ  Status Quo, there was a messup with security, who didnt show up. Cue an evening double jobbing, first my regular gig then an hour or so trying to stop grown men invading the stage , had never seen such a sight, they were like teen girls at a bay city rollers concert. The after gig Party was fun , mssrs Parfitt and Rossi were very inclusive with the invites to jolly it up for a few hours, it was a laugh alreet, never beeb a quo fan but enjoyed the evening Immensely.

Stayed at a very ordinary hotel in Jersey about 1983 with an ex girlfriend. Downstairs in the hotel was a function room where they held Ā ā€˜entertainmentā€™ each night. The host was Shane Richie in what was probably one of his earliest jobs. He took a shine to us (maybe her only?) and gave us a copy of a single he had just had made! Saw ex Lib Dem MP, while he was still on the tele regularly, at a tube station after we played away to Charlton, probably in the 80ā€™s.

Stood next to Steve Bruce in the toilets at The Buck at Thorpe River Green. Canā€™t remember the year but he still played for us. Usual polite nods were exchanged.

Had loads of contact with football people of many levels through previous job, weirdest one was Roy Keane while he was still manager down the road. Pleasant but intimidating! Also Jeff Sterling and some of the Saturday football pundits on the Friday night at a hotel in West London.