Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Good vibes thread

Right, there is an awful lot of negativity at the moment, understandably given what's going on, but let's change the narrative for a thread and have a positive one.

This thread is where you can share those random acts of kindness that are going on up and down the country at the moment, or any other positive message you feel like sharing.

I'll start - Given schools are out for a while - I rejoined Twitter last night to ensure my students can get the access to the non-curriculum geography we often discuss in lesson, and I could share videos/links/photos to inspire the wanderlust in them, in the same way The Beach by Alex Garland left an indelible mark on my life.

One of the first things I did was tweet out a message about a non-curriculum reading list for Geography - my #1 book would have been the Beach but the adult themes within it meant probably not appropriate. So I went with the second most inspirational to me - Blood River by Tim Butcher - following Morton Stanley's footsteps in the Congo basin during the height of the Civil war in the DRC. I tagged Tim Butcher in the tweet.

This morning, I received a reply from Tim - offering to do an online lecture/lesson/Q and A for my students. He didn't have to even acknowledge the tweet - I didn't really expect him to if I'm honest - I thought that offer was a quality gesture that went above and beyond.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At the moment we are shopping for some neighbours. It makes sense. They are the same ages, don't have transport and would have to walk to the supermarket only to find they didn't have what they wanted. And that means less people having to go shopping. And we can drive around to get more less exactly what they want.

We have been discussing what will be the outcome of this all and we are genuinely hoping that as the crisis deepens in the UK, as it surely will, that those who are inclined to be self first at all times at the moment may well end up realising that to help and give is just a natural thing to do and it becomes much more of a normal thing to do.

Lets hope the era of closing and locking doors to each other will be over and friendships blossom without the need of social media.

• Like 1

Kick it off, we live in a small cul de sac and have an open app connection thus if our neighbours run out of essentials we come calling. Working really well. Some elderly, families and some alone. We’re also offering any requirements from shops if we’re there to help other stay in.

• Like 1

Nice post Keelan. I'm hopeful we will create a better form of capitalism and that we truly value what is most precious. Proper funding and support for communities. Yet, also we find in our own communities what we can do for our neighbours.

• Like 1

While I too am ever hopeful that the selfish will have an epiphany and join the efforts to spread the load of distribution of essentials and loneliness relief, the greatest difference could be made by a change of narrative. Cease the use of words like apocalypse, lockdown and shortage  by the media, instead give the people balanced unsensational information.  

As many have told, there is much good work being done, though little of it by the media in its many guises. 

Well I suppose we can all say Bill was right, looks like Brexit won’t happen any time soon! Who’d have thought it!😂

• Haha 1

Mrs KG had to feed her horses this morning and driving back she saw one of the town's homeless people. Usually there are many who assure he has enough to eat and drink but there are not so many people about. She came home and made him a flask of coffee and something to eat. He said it was becoming tougher. He has a shed to sleep in but it is warm food he is missing at the moment.

I do hope that when this is all finished, we can really help ourselves by helping those less fortunate. We are a wealthy nation and can do something. We must do something to help the genuine homeless people. Even if we can't get them anywhere to live, maybe just make sure they are fed and watered.