Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Who am I ?

Recommended Posts

Born 6 weeks before Mr Moore lifted the Jules Rimet

he began his career up the junction before heading to Brummie land

pizza land was where he next washed up at club with a name like a Welsh sounding resort

 then ip north to fiat in with some stripes

 then back south,.but soon to set sail from there as did Signor Columbus

not to the the new world but a club who had similarly crossed water

finishing his days with a handful of games by the water - a famous river

he also managed to play a large number of games for his country and had a few spells as a manager

 

naming the player should not be too difficult but the clever bit is in naming his seven clubs as the 'clues' above should point to

answers after 10pm please - so as to let others have a try as well

=

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pleased to say I got this quite quickly - Went on to Ecosia to check my answer only to be confused momentarily by the fact that his doppelganger features on a soapy northern street. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It was a bit easier - the challenge is to make it enough to think, but not be too cryptic

no looking up until you are certain

and remember KG part of it is wading through my clues to name the clubs

and there is nothing in the clues that is not 'general knowledge'

and hush TL

he also coached for a club who owed a big thanks to Neil Young

Edited by Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Know the player and the clubs, although I’m struggling to make the penultimate clue match the club - probably something obvious I’m missing!
 

not to the the new world but a club who had similarly crossed water

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Know the player and the clubs, although I’m struggling to make the penultimate clue match the club - probably something obvious I’m missing!
 

not to the the new world but a club who had similarly crossed water

Arsenal used to play in South London when they were first formed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Arsenal used to play in South London when they were first formed.

Well that’s given that clue away 😉 I did double check whether the move from Highbury to the Emirates crossed any water but needed to go back further evidently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Well that’s given that clue away 😉 I did double check whether the move from Highbury to the Emirates crossed any water but needed to go back further evidently.

Their original name was Woolwich Arsenal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ricardo said:

Their original name was Woolwich Arsenal.

Did know that but wouldn’t have been able to tell you where Woolwich was!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Did know that but wouldn’t have been able to tell you where Woolwich was!

South of the river.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worked the clubs out now Bill. Senior moment I'm afraid. These are good for the old grey matter. If I could be so bold, can you produce some more?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Worked the clubs out now Bill. Senior moment I'm afraid. These are good for the old grey matter. If I could be so bold, can you produce some more?

yep, I'll sort out some more

up the Junction - Crewe  railway junction

Midland - Villa

Welsh resort, Barry Island - Bari

Fiat owned - Juventus

Columbus set sail from Genoa, home of -Sampdoria

Moved over the Thames from Woolwich to Highbury - Arsenal

By famous river, Trent - Forest

Neil Young scored FA cup winner for - Man City

David Platt - 10th June 1966

Edited by Bill
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A new one

Born a few days before our own Stephen Fry this lad started his club crawl with a bit of claret

before a short walk next door for a Madness song

followed by a couple of years with a different Madness song (yesterday's men )

before heading north to a Law abiding club

then over the pennines when his career finally got the chop

and inbetween at some point he played along side the Wensum

 

did he manage - just about, after three seperate goes

a bit trickier so hold off till Sun eve, ta

 

Edited by Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I have got it, but pedant that I am it should be "Wensum" not "Yare", keep them coming.........

all clubs ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bill said:

A new one

Born a few days before our own Stephen Fry this lad started his club crawl with a bit of claret

before a short walk next door for a Madness song

followed by a couple of years with a different Madness song (yesterday's men )

before heading north to a Law abiding club

then over the pennines when his career finally got the chop

and inbetween at some point he played along side the Wensum

 

did he manage - just about, after three seperate goes

a bit trickier so hold off till Sun eve, ta

 

Harder one for me this Bill, given he retired from playing before I was born.... I got the clubs from the clues and then had to google the player who had played for them all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aggy said:

Harder one for me this Bill, given he retired from playing before I was born.... I got the clubs from the clues and then had to google the player who had played for them all. 

I'll pick a more recent player with the next one. Too mant are now overseas players who hop around from club to cleb

and if those clubs are non uk clues may not be so easily worked out

but it's good to see they are enjoyed

I will have a see if something can be done with young master Edward so we can raise a few quid for the PUPS via an online 'pub quiz night'

come up with some format that provides as much merriment as head scratching

and if you have to force a few drinks down yourself to get in the spirit then so be it

I'm sure the good chaps of this forum will rise to the occasion :classic_tongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Bill said:

I'll pick a more recent player with the next one. Too mant are now overseas players who hop around from club to cleb

and if those clubs are non uk clues may not be so easily worked out

but it's good to see they are enjoyed

I will have a see if something can be done with young master Edward so we can raise a few quid for the PUPS via an online 'pub quiz night'

come up with some format that provides as much merriment as head scratching

and if you have to force a few drinks down yourself to get in the spirit then so be it

I'm sure the good chaps of this forum will rise to the occasion :classic_tongue:

To be honest, I enjoyed this one more than some of the more recent payers - if you can guess the player easily you don’t have to figure out the clues! This one was more enjoyable overall! Thanks for putting them up.

 

P.S. Yes a PUPs quiz night sounds a good idea!

Edited by Aggy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bill said:

I'll pick a more recent player with the next one. Too mant are now overseas players who hop around from club to cleb

and if those clubs are non uk clues may not be so easily worked out

but it's good to see they are enjoyed

I will have a see if something can be done with young master Edward so we can raise a few quid for the PUPS via an online 'pub quiz night'

come up with some format that provides as much merriment as head scratching

and if you have to force a few drinks down yourself to get in the spirit then so be it

I'm sure the good chaps of this forum will rise to the occasion :classic_tongue:

Not a bad idea actually, but I guess the tricky thing is making questions/clues that are ungoogleable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Not a bad idea actually, but I guess the tricky thing is making questions/clues that are ungoogleable.

it will be more about testing yourself

I'm sure some will google to get the right answers but they will only be cheating themselves if they need to do that

the enjoyment will be in knowing a few other like minded souls are having a bit of fun, as their will be no prizes, just as the picture quizes have been enjoyable

perhaps it could be 'a pint for the pups' whereby those taking part can hand over the price of half a pint, or a packet of crisps etc to the pups fund

quiz will start at 7.45 with a break at 8.30 for 15 mins then 4 added questions at the end

send in pics of what you are drinking, or where you are..................hiding behind the sofa if the daleks are emntioned

 

and as if I remember Lakey put up that he had on;y managed 8 correct answers in the last pic quiz...would we have thought any better of worse if he had claimed to got all 16 right...no, it was the fun of taking part - and for those who don't see it as such then I think we can ignore them

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...