Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Jostling Mob of Morons

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Lol.

250,000 died in a couple of hours in the 2004 tsunamis. There were no warning sirens in most of the countries. Quarter of a million dead. Youve just said they would have been fine had they been more sensible. 
 

Perhaps think before you post a Ricardo because you’re beginning to look ridiculous.

Oh dear straw men appearing now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Fully agree Aggy and FZ comments. . Still no explanation why problem far greater in UK than other countries. No answer because there isn’t one other than UK attitudes personified by the messenger. 

Edited by T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

The shops are empty because the unwary panicked when they finally accepted the reality of what was happening.

Nope. 
 

The idiots that started the panic buying scared others into following suit in fear the retail sector would collapse. I have been on a conference call where a VERY senior member of a retail company expressed their concerns that production could grind to a halt because of the early actions of the panic buyers. Had advice been followed to continue a normal shoppping routine, distribution and supply would be much better prepared to deal with the inevitable consequences of the virus. 
 

Ignore the naive ramblings, it was the first wave of panic buyers that have caused the problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Aggy said:

What has the advice been Ricardo? There hasn’t been any advice to stockpile. In fact, the advice has been the exact opposite. You’re making it up to justify your own selfishness aren’t you?

What you mean, is that you’ve been stockpiling for weeks against all actual advice, and are now calling people stupid for not doing so. This ignores anyone who can’t afford to buy extra food each week. Some people can barely afford a weekly shop, never mind adding extra on. Stupid aren’t they!

It ignores people who have large families and can’t store food for three weeks for a family of five. stupid aren’t they! It ignores the elderly who don’t have internet for home delivery and can basically bring home what they can carry (not three weeks worth  of tins of dry food). Stupid!

Had people, including you, followed the actual advice (don’t stockpile, there’s no need), then there would be enough for everyone. You’ve been selfish and are now calling others out for not being selfish. You’ve confirmed you were aware that even in China people could still go to the shops and could get deliveries, so there’s no need to panic buy and stock up for weeks in advance. Yet your only justification for doing so is some “advice” which you’ve just made up. You called me out on another thread a few days ago for suggesting that the economic impact on millions of non-risk people could be just as disastrous as anything else. Really Ricardo you’re looking out for yourself and that’s all. 

You have every right to do so of course. Just perhaps consider that your preaching says more about the sort of person you are than it does those you’re criticising.

Perhaps you should have been looking at the non football thread where the warnings of what was happening were freely available six weeks ago. I have made nothing up, many disputed the evidence given at the time. Every bit of it has proven correct.

The advice was freely available, some of us took it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel Ricardo is being unnecessarily vilified here. 

This crisis, the Coronavirus crisis had been bubbling away in China for many weeks before it crossed our shores. Ricardo was simply pointing out to people that it would be wise to quietly prepare for the possibility of movement restrictions and the consequences of some unprepared people panic buying. 

It seems to me he has called it pretty much right and my thinking is thus;

1. By having a reasonable stock of some goods he has obviated the need to go out shopping.

2. The extra demand that was put upon the supermarkets was slight and they would have taken that up in their supply v=chain easily.

3. He is one less person ramming supermarket aisles.

The problem as I see it, is those that reacted to the news when it became very bad has been to panic.

I myself have watched things unfolding in China and made certain plans accordingly, I have also been able to largely avoid crowded (and pretty un-stocked) supermarkets.

Ay no point was I panicking or am I now.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ricardo said:

Perhaps you should have been looking at the non football thread where the warnings of what was happening were freely available six weeks ago. I have made nothing up, many disputed the evidence given at the time. Every bit of it has proven correct.

The advice was freely available, some of us took it.

Hahahaha 😂 

The non football section has all the answers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I direct you to my post dated Feb 11th on the Wuhan Virus Thread

ricardo

On 11/02/2020 at 14:37, Van wink said:

Nice one👍 About time to be honest!
What are the suitable precautions and why do you think they will be effective?

I would say that if any of your income is exposed to the stock market you need to take action now. Supply chains from China are bound to be adversely affected. Also a basic two week supply of essentials need to be available. No need for panic but sensible and timely action is required.

There may yet be no panic but the sensible time to take action is before queues form.

 
  •  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

I feel Ricardo is being unnecessarily vilified here. 

This crisis, the Coronavirus crisis had been bubbling away in China for many weeks before it crossed our shores. Ricardo was simply pointing out to people that it would be wise to quietly prepare for the possibility of movement restrictions and the consequences of some unprepared people panic buying. 

It seems to me he has called it pretty much right and my thinking is thus;

1. By having a reasonable stock of some goods he has obviated the need to go out shopping.

2. The extra demand that was put upon the supermarkets was slight and they would have taken that up in their supply v=chain easily.

3. He is one less person ramming supermarket aisles.

The problem as I see it, is those that reacted to the news when it became very bad has been to panic.

I myself have watched things unfolding in China and made certain plans accordingly, I have also been able to largely avoid crowded (and pretty un-stocked) supermarkets.

Ay no point was I panicking or am I now.

Some of what he’s saying is true BUT he is fundamentally wrong when saying it is those that stockpiled first that have got it right. They have undoubtedly caused this mayhem by the excessive nature they’ve generally gone about it. It wasn’t a little preparation, it was full on panic and greed to save themselves and think of no one else. It went against all advice from govt and retailers.

Also, as I have asked, how much to stockpile? This will go on so he and many others will have to shop again at some point. 

Sensible shopping with consideration for others. This is what should have happened 

Edited by Fiery Zac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Fiery Zac said:

 

Also, as I have asked, how much to stockpile? This will go on so he and many others will have to shop again at some point. 

Sensible shopping with consideration for others. This is what should have happened 

Which is exactly what I proposed in the above post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I direct you to my post dated Feb 11th on the Wuhan Virus Thread

ricardo

I would say that if any of your income is exposed to the stock market you need to take action now. Supply chains from China are bound to be adversely affected. Also a basic two week supply of essentials need to be available. No need for panic but sensible and timely action is required.

There may yet be no panic but the sensible time to take action is before queues form.

 
  •  

I feel I’ve been clear all along. I’m not talking about a basic 2 week supply. The immediate reaction was panic and greed. It was these early reactions that have caused the problem. The reactions thereafter are more understandable as people are scared into shopping for anything that’s left

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway I’m done with this argument. I’ve made my point. I understand Ricardo has a much more respected position on this forum but feel he should be called out when making an ill informed judgement.

My point was and is, blame lies at those that started the panic buying. Working in retail I’ve seen it up close each day. It’s a scary time and the fact advice has been so blatantly ignored in favour of selfishness and greed, I dread to think what will happen next

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fiery Zac said:

Anyway I’m done with this argument. I’ve made my point. I understand Ricardo has a much more respected position on this forum but feel he should be called out when making an ill informed judgement.

My point was and is, blame lies at those that started the panic buying. Working in retail I’ve seen it up close each day. It’s a scary time and the fact advice has been so blatantly ignored in favour of selfishness and greed, I dread to think what will happen next

And that is exactly what I expected would happen when everybody rushed at once. People could have approached it sensibly as I suggested when there was still a choice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

They have undoubtedly caused this mayhem by the excessive nature they’ve generally gone about it.

Zac, I didn't stockpile, the mayhem was caused by those who were a  good 2-3 weeks after I had quietly filled my cupboards.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If people really think that stockpiling and encouraging stockpiling on social media are correct then please feel free to express this view when going to doctors and nurses for help. 
 

Just as the same people should feel free to express their xenophobic views to the Norwich management and players if they really think these views are acceptable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the take away is that ricardo and his ilk half emptied the supermarkets then encouraged others to finish the job all whilst saying 'I told you so'?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

So the take away is that ricardo and his ilk half emptied the supermarkets then encouraged others to finish the job all whilst saying 'I told you so'?

I’m out of reactions, have one of these 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

So the take away is that ricardo and his ilk half emptied the supermarkets then encouraged others to finish the job all whilst saying 'I told you so'?

 I didn't see any empty shelves until last week. The man in the supermarket queue with a loaded trolley wasn't me, it was the same man trying to close the door long after the horse had bolted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Perhaps you should have been looking at the non football thread where the warnings of what was happening were freely available six weeks ago. I have made nothing up, many disputed the evidence given at the time. Every bit of it has proven correct.

The advice was freely available, some of us took it.

Ah so you’re ignoring the government’s advice and you’re justifying your own selfish actions because of some advice set out on an Internet forum.

(oh and criticising those who followed the government’s advice for... not following advice on an Internet forum.)

Edited by Aggy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Which is exactly what I proposed in the above post.

No it’s not. You’ve said that people who have failed to stockpile haven’t prepared well enough. Backtrack away.

 

As for straw men, you said people who don’t move out of the way of tsunamis are stupid. You then said the coronavirus death toll will be “much higher”. Much higher than what? You knew exactly what you were referring to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

So the take away is that ricardo and his ilk half emptied the supermarkets then encouraged others to finish the job all whilst saying 'I told you so'?

Also out of reactions, but 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Aggy said:

No it’s not. You’ve said that people who have failed to stockpile haven’t prepared well enough. Backtrack away.

 

As for straw men, you said people who don’t move out of the way of tsunamis are stupid. You then said the coronavirus death toll will be “much higher”. Much higher than what? You knew exactly what you were referring to.

Here's another one for you from a month ago.

What is it about sage advice that you fail to understand?

ricardo

On 24/02/2020 at 10:21, Daz Sparks said:

What would you consider to be essential preparation Ricardo?

If your finances have any exposure to the market you should have been out last week.

You should also have at least a couple of weeks food and medicine in stock. Those who waited for the general alarm in Italy are now finding empty shelves.

I am not advocating hoarding but a sensible preparation for emergencies is needed.

Some people still think it's just a nasty bout of flu. Look at the wu flu live site for the true extent of things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ricardo said:

 I didn't see any empty shelves until last week. The man in the supermarket queue with a loaded trolley wasn't me, it was the same man trying to close the door long after the horse had bolted.

Yes, you were warning of the need to stockpile on 31 jan so I am guessing that you did so at around about this time. Plenty of time for resupply before shelves were stripped.

Problem is not so much people doing a big shop but the hysteria that causes people to shop irrationally.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ricardo said:

Here's another one for you from a month ago.

What is it about sage advice that you fail to understand?

ricardo

If your finances have any exposure to the market you should have been out last week.

You should also have at least a couple of weeks food and medicine in stock. Those who waited for the general alarm in Italy are now finding empty shelves.

I am not advocating hoarding but a sensible preparation for emergencies is needed.

Some people still think it's just a nasty bout of flu. Look at the wu flu live site for the true extent of things.

Ah so I was wrong. You’re not justifying your own selfish actions based on advice you read on an Internet forum. You’re justifying said actions on advice you actually posted on an Internet forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Ah so I was wrong. You’re not justifying your own selfish actions based on advice you read on an Internet forum. You’re justifying said actions on advice you actually posted on an Internet forum.

Indeed but what you fail to appreciate is that some people know better than the PHE and supermarkets. That some people still try to defend selfish and greedy stockpiling is contemptible but I’m sure if they are not really selfish they will gladly  donate their stockpile to those in need. I can safely prediction that they are not decent people. Some people really have no decency or shame. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

Lots of stray cats round our way.

Or as the Dutch called them during the war, Roof Rabbits.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Ah so I was wrong. You’re not justifying your own selfish actions based on advice you read on an Internet forum. You’re justifying said actions on advice you actually posted on an Internet forum.

So you haven't  made any sensible preperations for emergencies then?

Thankfully some have.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, T said:

Indeed but what you fail to appreciate is that some people know better than the PHE and supermarkets. That some people still try to defend selfish and greedy stockpiling is contemptible but I’m sure if they are not really selfish they will gladly  donate their stockpile to those in need. I can safely prediction that they are not decent people. Some people really have no decency or shame. 

Another one who finds it difficult to understand what sensible preparations for emergencies means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, ricardo said:

So you haven't  made any sensible preperations for emergencies then?

Thankfully some have.

 

Ricardo, it’s not an emergency for me personally - I’m following social distancing measures because it’s an emergency for thousands of other people, like (I understand) yourself and could become a much larger emergency if people act selfishly. I don’t want my grandparents to catch it because they’re at risk. I don’t really want anyone to catch it if they’re at risk. Likewise, I don’t want the single mother who can barely afford a weekly food shop to be out of work, scraping around to buy food which is no longer on the shelves while other people have three weeks of frozen chips and a three month supply of pasta in their cupboard.

You’ve confirmed you have continued to get food deliveries. You’ve confirmed you are fully aware that even in a China where the lockdown is far more significant than it is here, people could go into shops and/or get food delivered. You’re clearly aware you currently are and will continue to be able to get food. You’ve given absolutely zero justification for stockpiling food other than “the s might hit the fan”. You’ve taken absolutely no account of people who can’t stockpile because they can’t afford to or haven’t got room. You’ve taken absolutely no account of people who can barely afford a weekly shop, never mind afford enough to stockpile. You’ve ignored government and expert advice not to stockpile. You’ve done all of the above solely for your own good, fully in the knowledge that you’ll be able to go out and buy more food in a few weeks anyway (or get it delivered). 
 

See the problem now is that you’ve got more food than you need. Other people haven’t got enough. If you hadn’t stockpiled weeks ago, guess what the position would be... that”s right. Everyone would have enough. You could still get your food delivered or go to the shops to get some. Your next door neighbour could do so too. As could the single mother who can only afford to get the bare minimum for her child.

Then you follow it up with a post like “If you dont  have enough to last until then you have failed to prepare.”  (P.s. you also called me out when suggesting that the government might need to consider the economic impact of having millions of unemployed if the lockdown lasts too long. Who cares about unemployed people when you’ve got your three week supply of tinned salmon.)

I’ll leave it there so Midland isn’t forced to read pages of things he doesn’t want to read 😉

Edited by Aggy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed Aggy. I fully understand being prepared. Some people don’t appreciate when to stop digging and that stockpiling is selfish and irrational. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...