Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Jostling Mob of Morons

2 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Ricardo, it’s not an emergency for me personally - I’m following social distancing measures because it’s an emergency for thousands of other people, like (I understand) yourself and could become a much larger emergency if people act selfishly. I don’t want my grandparents to catch it because they’re at risk. I don’t really want anyone to catch it if they’re at risk. Likewise, I don’t want the single mother who can barely afford a weekly food shop to be out of work, scraping around to buy food which is no longer on the shelves while other people have three weeks of frozen chips and a three month supply of pasta in their cupboard.

You’ve confirmed you have continued to get food deliveries. You’ve confirmed you are fully aware that even in a China where the lockdown is far more significant than it is here, people could go into shops and/or get food delivered. You’re clearly aware you currently are and will continue to be able to get food. You’ve given absolutely zero justification for stockpiling food other than “the s might hit the fan”. You’ve taken absolutely no account of people who can’t stockpile because they can’t afford to or haven’t got room. You’ve taken absolutely no account of people who can barely afford a weekly shop. You’ve ignored government and expert advice not to stockpile. You’ve done all of the above solely for your own good, fully in the knowledge that you’ll be able to go out and buy more food in a few weeks anyway (or get it delivered). 

See the problem now is that you’ve got more food than you need. Other people haven’t got enough. If you hadn’t stockpiled weeks ago, guess what the position would be... that”s right. Everyone would have enough. You could still get your food delivered or go to the shops to get some. Your next door neighbour could do so too. As could the single mother who can only afford to get the bare minimum for her child.

Then you follow it up with a post like “If you dont  have enough to last until then you have failed to prepare.” 

I’ll leave it there so Midland isn’t forced to read pages of things he doesn’t want to read 😉

I am not stockpiling food, I have a normal sized fridge and integral freezer. I have ensured there is enough to get through a couple of weeks also there are enough tins of basic dried foodstuffs in the cupboard if I am ordered to stay indoors for ten to fourteen days because of my and my wifes vulnerabilities. I consider this to be the basic minimum that every responsible citizen should already have done.

I have also ensured that I have enough cleaning and sanitary materials to cover at least this period. I have ensured we have enough medication and will be resupplied when it runs out. I have ensured my car is fully fueled in case of any other emergency and that I have all the necessary info and phone numbers if required.

I seriously doubt if a family of four could exist on my store cupboard for more than a week so I don't  believe my preparations taken 6 weeks ago have had any material effect upon empty shelves in the supermarkets. People are milling about outside Tesco's  at 6am because they waited till the last minute and are now buying everything in sight and it was all totally predictable that this would happen. I make no apologies for being aware of it.

Well I have to say before dropping off my mother’s day present, I stopped to pick up some bits for her at our local Morrisons and have to say it was more normal, shelves fairly stocked and people behaving, noticeable more staff about.

Well done people we’re maybe turning the tide on stupidity of hoarding pointless provisions.

Edited by Indy

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I am not stockpiling food, I have a normal sized fridge and integral freezer. I have ensured there is enough to get through a couple of weeks also there are enough tins of basic dried foodstuffs in the cupboard if I am ordered to stay indoors for ten to fourteen days because of my and my wifes vulnerabilities. I consider this to be the basic minimum that every responsible citizen should already have done.

I have also ensured that I have enough cleaning and sanitary materials to cover at least this period. I have ensured we have enough medication and will be resupplied when it runs out. I have ensured my car is fully fueled in case of any other emergency and that I have all the necessary info and phone numbers if required.

I seriously doubt if a family of four could exist on my store cupboard for more than a week so I don't  believe my preparations taken 6 weeks ago have had any material effect upon empty shelves in the supermarkets. People are milling about outside Tesco's  at 6am because they waited till the last minute and are now buying everything in sight and it was all totally predictable that this would happen. I make no apologies for being aware of it.

You spoilt that Ricardo with your last 6 lines. 

9 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

You spoilt that Ricardo with your last 6 lines. 

Its a hard life MY as we are all soon to discover.

Indeed Indy this is going to go for a long time and many people are going to look very foolish and selfish very soon including some on here. 

I think some of you may have been wise to have started reading the virus thread when it first started. There were a number of us that recognised the danger with a virus that has the capability to infect others while the host is without symptoms, and the reaction in China was a bit of a give away. Quite a few were dismissive, fair enough, but those that saw the danger will undoubtedly have taken a few measured and sensible precautions. Absolutely the correct thing to do, it’s what anyone with any common sense would have done!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, T said:

Indeed Indy this is going to go for a long time and many people are going to look very foolish and selfish very soon including some on here. 

T

• T
  • Members
  • 3,487 posts

I’d fully agree that is makes sense to stock up with medication for a month and no harm in building up a stock of staple products and essentials to cover a 2 week self isolation period of those things you would buy anyway.

• You mean like this post of yours where you agreed exactly to the letter with what I had proposed😀
  • Perhaps you could explain what has changed your mind in the last three weeks.

Edited by ricardo
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Its a hard life MY as we are all soon to discover.

I don’t think everyone who was in a supermarket queue at 6am was taking part in a hoarding shopping spree. I worked twelve hour night shifts last week so did pop my head in after the last one on Friday. I managed to get a fresh loaf and an Easter egg which turned out to be a satisfying breakfast.

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I don’t think everyone who was in a supermarket queue at 6am was taking part in a hoarding shopping spree. I worked twelve hour night shifts last week so did pop my head in after the last one on Friday. I managed to get a fresh loaf and an Easter egg which turned out to be a satisfying breakfast.

Yes 12 hr night shifts are no fun, I spent far too many years doing the 2 12 hr days followed by 2 12 hr nights, so I know what it feels like. I found 7-7 slightly better than 6-6 but niether are much good for the human body.

46 minutes ago, ricardo said:

It was three weeks earlier. An extra three weeks supply for you, and none for the family of four because that wouldn’t have fed them all for three weeks anyway. It might have fed them for a week or two but never mind. It might have fed the little old widow down the road for three months but hey ho.

Most of the people at Tesco stockpiling aren’t stockpiling because they’re worried they might get coronavirus. This is where you’re fundamentally missing the point. They’re stockpiling because everyone else is doing so. A few ridiculous folk went out and stockpiled, spurred on by ridiculous comments such as yours earlier in the thread. That meant there was hardly any left for anyone else, so when ’anyone else’ did find something, they decided to take it all in case there was none left next time. This meant there was even less left for the next person to come along. Had the ridiculous scaremongering not taken place in the first place, then none of the cycle would have started.

To be honest Ricardo, having seen your comments on another thread about your own position, I don’t really have all that much of a problem with you taking the actions you have done. I at least understand why you have done so. My main irritant is that you have routinely told others they have been stupid for not following suit. Many people simply can’t afford to build up a surplus supply even over a three week period. You’ve actually told people to ignore government advice and look after themselves. You’ve told people they lack common sense if they don’t stockpile. Yet as you’ve shown yourself in this thread by your lack of actual response to this point, there is no good reason to stockpile or do any of the things you are telling people to do.

5 hours ago, ricardo said:

Lots of stray cats round our way.

WHAT!......I've heard it all now.......You're taking things to the extreme and going to resort to CANNIBALISM?.....Who's gonna be first on your spit roast.....Brian Setzer, Lee Rocker or Slim Jim Phantom?.....(Not much meat on the latter....hence the name Slim Jim)......

16 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

WHAT!......I've heard it all now.......You're taking things to the extreme and going to resort to CANNIBALISM?.....Who's gonna be first on your spit roast.....Brian Setzer, Lee Rocker or Slim Jim Phantom?.....(Not much meat on the latter....hence the name Slim Jim)......

After them there is Cat Stevens and the Pussycat Dolls.

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'm sure you'd hate to sink your teeth into Nicole Scherzinger.

I was not expecting you to be first to reply Wacky 😛😂

57 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Most of the people at Tesco stockpiling aren’t stockpiling because they’re worried they might get coronavirus. This is where you’re fundamentally missing the point. They’re stockpiling because everyone else is doing so. A few ridiculous folk went out and stockpiled, spurred on by ridiculous comments such as yours earlier in the thread. That meant there was hardly any left for anyone else, so when ’anyone else’ did find something, they decided to take it all in case there was none left next time. This meant there was even less left for the next person to come along. Had the ridiculous scaremongering not taken place in the first place, then none of the cycle would have started.

This. People are scared they will run out of food. I've been shopping twice this week to two different supermarkets and in both cases there were a lot of empty shelves with very little fresh meat or veg and no pasta or rice at all. We're certainly not going to starve and have enough in the cupboards to get by but I can understand why some people are worried. Of course this doesn't excuse some of the behaviour that's been seen, but this is yet another area where the supermarkets and government were slow to act.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Aggy said:

It was three weeks earlier. An extra three weeks supply for you, and none for the family of four because that wouldn’t have fed them all for three weeks anyway. It might have fed them for a week or two but never mind. It might have fed the little old widow down the road for three months but hey ho.

To be honest Ricardo, having seen your comments on another thread about your own position, I don’t really have all that much of a problem with you taking the actions you have done. I at least understand why you have done so. My main irritant is that you have routinely told others they have been stupid for not following suit. Many people simply can’t afford to build up a surplus supply even over a three week period. You’ve actually told people to ignore government advice and look after themselves. You’ve told people they lack common sense if they don’t stockpile. Yet as you’ve shown yourself in this thread by your lack of actual response to this point, there is no good reason to stockpile or do any of the things you are telling people to do.

They’re stockpiling because everyone else is doing so.

No they are stockpiling because everyone else is panicking. What did you think would happen?

and that is why I said this on feb 24th

You should also have at least a couple of weeks food and medicine in stock. Those who waited for the general alarm in Italy are now finding empty shelves.

I am not advocating hoarding but a sensible preparation for emergencies is needed.

A perfectly sensible suggestion in the light of what is happening and I doubt very much if millions of people are now heading off to TESCO's because of what I said and certainly nothing to get your knickers in a twist over.

Although many may well wish they had taken things more seriously a month ago.

There is an element of stockpiling of course but one reason could be that so many people are filling a trolley at 7am and when people go at the normal time, half the shelves are empty or near enough empty.

We had to get some shopping for our neighbour and are choosing the Co-op rather than Tesco and one of the staff we know well said the best time to shop there was after 2pm when the daily delivery had been put on the shelves. So go looking for bread at 7am and you won't find any.

12 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

There is an element of stockpiling of course but one reason could be that so many people are filling a trolley at 7am and when people go at the normal time, half the shelves are empty or near enough empty.

We had to get some shopping for our neighbour and are choosing the Co-op rather than Tesco and one of the staff we know well said the best time to shop there was after 2pm when the daily delivery had been put on the shelves. So go looking for bread at 7am and you won't find any.

probably sensible not to go looking for anything in the next fortnight if you can help it. I spoke to my neighbour who had been out for a walk up the cemetary. I bet that lifted the spirits.

probably sensible not to go looking for anything in the next fortnight if you can help it. I spoke to my neighbour who had been out for a walk up the cemetary. I bet that lifted the spirits.

Is his name Sexton?

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, ricardo said:

They’re stockpiling because everyone else is doing so.

No they are stockpiling because everyone else is panicking. What did you think would happen?

and that is why I said this on feb 24th

You should also have at least a couple of weeks food and medicine in stock. Those who waited for the general alarm in Italy are now finding empty shelves.

I am not advocating hoarding but a sensible preparation for emergencies is needed.

A perfectly sensible suggestion in the light of what is happening and I doubt very much if millions of people are now heading off to TESCO's because of what I said and certainly nothing to get your knickers in a twist over.

Although many may well wish they had taken things more seriously a month ago.

Err yeah and everyone is panicking because of the nonsense like you’re posting. Glad we agree.

4 hours ago, ricardo said:

Seems like a perfectly reasonable statement. 

11 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Err yeah and everyone is panicking because of the nonsense like you’re posting. Glad we agree.

Doesn't tally with the above. 

5 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

This does though:

“The panic buying is caused by those who failed to heed the warnings and now find themselves unprepared.

When the Tsunami alarm sounds, informed sensible people move to higher ground in adequate time. The vast majority wait in case its a false alarm and eventually grab their belongings and panic when they see the wall of water on the horizon.

There are even some who stand on the beach as the water drains away and shake their fists, complaining that the government didn't  build the sea wall high enough.

The time to choose in which group you want to belong has now passed“

As does Ricardo’s multiple posts in the last week or so explicitly tellin people to ignore the government’s advice, that he doesn’t trust the politicians and people should look out for themselves, and multiple posts stating anyone who hasn’t stockpiled is stupid and has themselves to blame.

Edited by Aggy

I cannot see where, what Ricardo has spoken of, in this and other threads that has contributed to the madness that has ensued in our supermarkets, nor can I make any connection to the OP's point with some careful forward planning 4 weeks ago either. 

I know it would not have mattered one iota whether I had 3 weeks food in my cupboards or none, the panic buying would have happened. The blame has come from the media IMO, with them bringing the story from a paragraph on page 6 to full size front page headlines. Much of it the usual tabloid sensationalism. 

• Like 1

Please explain why brits are doing this when other European countries aren’t   Please explain why you are critisizing people for not stockpiling when the govt and PHE has told people not too.

What it means is that there is far too many people who are too ignorant stupid and arrogant to follow expert advice at the expense of other people. Not only that but some people are encouraging such behaviour on social media.   The selfish arrogant I know better then Experts attitude of people will cost lives. Some people really need to stop and think about their views and attitudes. Just take what you need and there is no problem.  

16 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

Indeed, some just want an argument and blame others who have taken proactive action. I doubt my half dozen tins of peas and 8 pints of milk have caused many empty shelves. Nor an extra packet of toilet rolls and a couple of bottles of handwash.

Sensible provision is exactly what it says and it is extremely foolish to ignore it.

Aggy.

I have just read this thread and you seem hellbent on nailing Ricardo for ‘stockpiling’ some 6 weeks ago or more.

If I’ve followed it correctly, then from what I can see Ricardo has hardly been completely clearing shelves when there’s a little old lady behind him pleading for just 1 bag of spaghetti.

On the contrary, he’s WISELY and CAREFULLY built up some supplies some time ago, which is very different to the hypothetical scenario posted in my previous sentence.

Nowt wrong with that whatsoever - he is right, people arrogantly laughed this off as some sort of mild flu. As far as I can see in the ‘Wuhan virus’ thread, Ricardo’s called it spot on, and anyone with half a brain could see it was only a matter of time before we were facing similar circumstances.

• Thanks 3

Aggy, I don't need to fight Ricardo's battles for him, so I'll leave your above points for him to respond to, he's big and old enough I am sure.

From my point of though; 

I quietly went about ensuring that myself and wife, my elderly parents and my other nearest and dearest weren't going to be left without essentials if indeed the area we lived in suffered shortages for whatever reason.

I was not greedy, I never at anytime have taken anything that won't be consumed, and whilst I was doing this, the supply of everything was plentiful. 

Now, if most folk had planned like this 2, 3 and 4 or more weeks ago, I agree that there would have been a jump in demand, BUT, this would have been a much more subtle and gradual upward curve, and the supermarket supply chains would have been able to easily cope.

However, not many did this and as soon the first shelf was empty, the media got hold of it and it was then that panic buying commenced, starting a cycle that we have yet to see broken. As such I am happy that for now that I can avoid the packed aisles and can wait it out until normal service is restored. 

I am happy to defend the above position to anyone, events as far as I am concerned have vindicated my actions.

Edited by Daz Sparks
  • Like 1

I just saw this on Ebay for £38.97 ( 4 sold) when it sells in supermarkets for £3.97 - I did report it for price gouging

If you are short and want to order in individual tea/coffee/milk sachets search for Stix Sachets, these are very reasonable priced

image.png.c474b7d77423c596db0d2cce400c52b9.png

13 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Aggy.

I have just read this thread and you seem hellbent on nailing Ricardo for ‘stockpiling’ some 6 weeks ago or more.

If I’ve followed it correctly, then from what I can see Ricardo has hardly been completely clearing shelves when there’s a little old lady behind him pleading for just 1 bag of spaghetti.

On the contrary, he’s WISELY and CAREFULLY built up some supplies some time ago, which is very different to the hypothetical scenario posted in my previous sentence.

Nowt wrong with that whatsoever - he is right, people arrogantly laughed this off as some sort of mild flu. As far as I can see in the ‘Wuhan virus’ thread, Ricardo’s called it spot on, and anyone with half a brain could see it was only a matter of time before we were facing similar circumstances.

Thanks for the support Alex.

From what I have just heard from the PM if fear I may be one of those who have to stay in for 12 weeks. Not a very pleasant prospect but what can you do.

• Like 1

I think Ricardo gave the reasons for his actions some time ago and explained why he is so concerned with this virus. He will now be quarantined for 3 months and reliant on someone other than himself.

That is not a lifestyle choice. It is a necessity.

• Thanks 1