Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Jostling Mob of Morons

7 hours ago, Sideshow Tim said:

Totally agree Ricardo. 

We have been through our cupboards, fridge and freezer this afternoon putting a list of what we have and hoping that we have at least 2 weeks of provisions. We don't but we're in a better place than many and we'll deal woth it as we need to. I certainly won't allow 'stock piling' but I don't want to be judged if we decide that we need to shop at 6am to get what we need to get for the week. 

God knows how the proper elderly and NHS staff are getting by! 

I stand by what I've said before..... Ban shopping trollies! 

Im afraid it is exactly this kind of attitude which is causing a problem in the UK that does not exist in other countries with severer restrictions.  The more people that refuse to be a sheep and just buy what they need the sooner the problem goes away. Just buy an alternative and it will be there soon when the shops restock.  If people can’t be trusted to show solidarity on this basic point than god help the UK as it escalates. Just stop and think am I being a decent rational human being or are you being a selfish inconsiderate irrational person.  People are not consuming anymore than before and the shops are restocking as before so the behaviour in the UK is just shameful and embarrassingly irrational. Take a look at yourself and don’t join in. Be part of the solution not the problem. 

Wonder if this would work ? On items people are trying buy in bulk just increase the price of it if you have more than the allowed amount. For example : one pack of toilet rolls £5.99 two packs £ 50.99 . Two bread £ 1.00 each a third £10.00 and so on ....... I know it won't suit everyone but surely would stop bulk buying . And as for the supermarkets making large profits,the extra money should go to help fight this virus . Just a thought .

8 hours ago, Sideshow Tim said:

We have had a delivery every week for the past 2 years and can't get another until 10th April. Won't bother after this week anyway as the majority of it wasn't available. 

I have a sensible solution to this..... Ban shopping trolleys...... Baskets only. Everything will get back to normal pretty quickly and it takes the pressure off of supermarket staff that have to try and implement pathetic company procedures that people don't listen to 

Yep Sideshow.  Same with us.  My wife is not fully mobile and I had been working long hours so have used home delivery from Tesco since it first started.  Never had a problem booking a delivery slot.  Now its four weeks to a free slot!  And yes, online can restrict numbers of items to 3.  But, they can only deliver what is on your order, if it is in the store they are picking your order from.  So for the first time ever, we didn't get 15 items in the most recent delivery, some of which most people would consider essentials.  But we did get the more expensive Catsan at the price of the cheaper alternative we usually get.  However I'm now going to have to go to a supermarket for the first time in years for the weekly shop next week.  Wish me luck.  

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51991566

That collective societies are coping better then individualistic societies as illustrated by panic buying in the UK is a deep underlying problem for the UK on Covid 19. Think of others to help protect everyone including yourself. 

1 hour ago, JF said:

Went to Tesco’s yesterday and Tesco’s have bizarrely closed the scan as you shop, presumably because of the amount of people that would be handling them, so every person had to go though the people on the checkouts. All they had done is taped a square on the floor that you couldn’t stand in but none of the checkout staff were wearing gloves. Surely this is putting the checkout staff at unnecessary risk? I’d have thought that closing the checkouts and only having the scan as you shop open would put far less people at risk, and have a team of people with anti bacterial cleaner, cleaning the scanners as they are handed back.

Must be a reason for the closure of scan as you shop at that particular store as I know for a fact all Tesco’s are being told to prioritise SAYS to the extent of having greeters at the front of the shop asking customers to use the facility to reduce the amount of contact with staff and lower queuing times

2 minutes ago, T said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51991566

That collective societies are coping better then individualistic societies as illustrated by panic buying in the UK is a deep underlying problem for the UK on Covid 19. Think of others to help protect everyone including yourself. 

The panic buying is caused by those who failed to heed the warnings and now find themselves unprepared.

When the Tsunami alarm sounds, informed sensible people move to higher ground in adequate time. The vast majority wait in case its a false alarm and eventually grab their belongings and panic when they see the wall of water on the horizon.

There are even some who stand on the beach as the water drains away and shake their fists, complaining that the government didn't  build the sea wall high enough.

The time to choose in which group you want to belong has now passed.

9 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

If the situation has reached the point where supermarkets need bouncers then society is seriously broken.

Unfortunately this is exactly what’s happening. Extra security guards have been employed for all large Tesco stores simply to marshal the queues outside before opening and to then monitor the most in-demand items (toilet roll, meat, pasta, medicines).

Working in food retail is a scary place right now

Edited by Fiery Zac

32 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Must be a reason for the closure of scan as you shop at that particular store as I know for a fact all Tesco’s are being told to prioritise SAYS to the extent of having greeters at the front of the shop asking customers to use the facility to reduce the amount of contact with staff and lower queuing times

Ah ok. Thought it was a bizarre decision 

4 minutes ago, ricardo said:

The panic buying is caused by those who failed to heed the warnings and now find themselves unprepared.

When the Tsunami alarm sounds, informed sensible people move to higher ground in adequate time. The vast majority wait in case its a false alarm and eventually grab their belongings and panic when they see the wall of water on the horizon.

There are even some who stand on the beach as the water drains away and shake their fists, complaining that the government didn't  build the sea wall high enough.

What absolute nonsense.

There was no need to panic buy. That some cretins decided to do it because they believe the world will shut down and have no consideration for the rest of the population is the problem. Prepare yourselves yes, but that’s not what’s happening. We’re talking scared, thoughtless, selfish greed. There’s no pause for thought, no sensible planning or listening to advice. Just panicked reaction, greed.

I can only speak for one chain of supermarket but can confidently say the plans in place to supply and distribute stock was (and is) in hand and it is only the actions of these morons who started the panic buying that has caused a ripple effect where those that listened to the retailers and government warning against panic buying, were then forced to became part of the herd because there was risk and worry that the whole retail network would collapse and they would then have nothing. Had everyone listened and shopped as normal, retailers would have continued to supply as normal (or near enough, there would obviously be an effect but on a much smaller scale). 

This fiasco is the fault of those that are greedy and selfish, who upon hearing of the first few cases and subsequent deaths, decided to stock pile far more than ever needed and rob those continuing with their lives whilst still being worried and cautious of what to do next, of daily essentials (and as we are now seeing it’s all too often from those fighting the virus on the frontline - NHS staff)

Those that began the panic buying are those that would push others into the oncoming tsunami to save themselves.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Fiery Zac said:

We’re talking scared, thoughtless, selfish greed. There’s no pause for thought, no sensible planning or listening to advice. Just panicked reaction, greed.

What did you expect would happen?

Went to Tesco’s yesterday and our normal weekly shop is over a hundred quid, we struggled to spend £60 as it was that bare. People who are that way inclined can surely only panic buy once so I’d hope it will calm down now 

1 minute ago, JF said:

Went to Tesco’s yesterday and our normal weekly shop is over a hundred quid, we struggled to spend £60 as it was that bare. People who are that way inclined can surely only panic buy once so I’d hope it will calm down now 

People only have so much storage space, though I did see somewhere that the sales of chest freezers has rocketed.

Eventually the curves of supply and demand will converge again.

Those encouraging stockpiling on social media are part of the problem. Shame on them. if people are stupid enough to ignore expert advice on this one and it is just simple commonsense then you can see why the UK govt is reluctant to bring in delay measures earlier when large portions of UK society can’t follow expert advice

Shame on those too dismissing expert advice.  previously this attitude just cost time money and jobs now this attitude costs lives 

It will calm down as people are stocked up.shops restocked and delivery capacity increased and people realise what complete and utter lemons they are. 

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Sorry but this is absolute utter nonsense. It isn’t caused by people being unprepared. Unprepared for what? Unprepared for .... being allowed to go to the shops?

How many tsunamis have you been in? You often don’t get any time to do anything. And as the tsunami hits, you can’t just swim down to your local for another loaf of bread as forty feet waves come crashing down on your home destroying everything in its path. Ridiculous and, frankly, slightly offensive nonsense Ricardo. You’ve been asked to stay in doors as much as possible for a few weeks and you’re allowed to nip to the shop (or order online) as and when you want. 

The panic buying is because too many people are spouting nonsense like this. If people realised that you’re still allowed to go to the shops, then they’d just be buying what you normally buy. What do you need three weeks of chips in your freezer for? Just go again on Tuesday, it’s really not difficult.

The only thing I wish I’d “prepared better” for was that I had to have a frozen fish finger sandwich on Wednesday night when I really fancied one of those fresh pepperoni pizzas they make in Sainsburys. I just wished they’d started the tsunami sirens weeks ago so I could have avoided this disaster...

p.s. I bought the frozen fish fingers on Wednesday, I hadn’t stockpiled them up months in advance.

pps. Replied to this before seeing fz’s similar response.

Edited by Aggy
  • Like 2

A frozen fish finger sandwich.......euurgh!..... You could pop around to my gaff and I'd shove them under the grill for you.... 😉 

7 minutes ago, T said:

It will calm down as people are stocked up.shops restocked and delivery capacity increased and people realise what complete and utter lemons they are. 

It will probably come in a few months when they're eating pasta for dinner again for the tenth night in a row and they're faced with the choice of either consuming or throwing away frozen bread, milk and eggs.

A large of quantity of this stock-piled food won't even be eaten.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

A frozen fish finger sandwich.......euurgh!..... You could pop around to my gaff and I'd shove them under the grill for you.... 😉 

Not sure that’s allowed anymore unless I post them through the letterbox and you wear gloves! 

20 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Sorry but this is absolute utter nonsense. It isn’t caused by people being unprepared. Unprepared for what? Unprepared for .... being allowed to go to the shops?

Yes, you get the same angry response from people who have an accident on holiday who haven't  bought holiday insurance. Human nature I suppose.

Yes, you get the same angry response from people who have an accident on holiday who haven't  bought holiday insurance. Human nature I suppose.

Not angry at all Ricardo. More disappointed that otherwise sensible posters on here are proving themselves to be just like other panicking selfish plonkers who are causing as many problems as those they moan about for staying out at bars etc...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ricardo said:

P.s. what are you going to do when your stockpiled food runs out?

8 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Not sure that’s allowed anymore unless I post them through the letterbox and you wear gloves! 

Oh you're not getting them fish fingers back.....I'm gonna cook 'em an' stuff my chops......It's gonna be 'survival of the fattest'......

1 minute ago, Aggy said:

Not angry at all Ricardo. More disappointed that otherwise sensible posters on here are proving themselves to be just like other panicking selfish plonkers who are causing as many problems as those they moan about for staying out at bars etc...

I have not had to stand in any jostling queues as I prepared weeks ago. I am doing exactly as as the NHS instructed and staying at home ( apart from an enforced trip to the dentist). I am doing what I have been requested to do so as not to put unnecessary  strain on emergency service resources. One of the first things they teach you in management training is that failure to prepare equals preparing to fail. Its not just a buzz phrase, its practical advice that works.

8 minutes ago, Aggy said:

P.s. what are you going to do when your stockpiled food runs out?

Lots of stray cats round our way.

I have not had to stand in any jostling queues as I prepared weeks ago. I am doing exactly as as the NHS instructed and staying at home ( apart from an enforced trip to the dentist). I am doing what I have been requested to do so as not to put unnecessary  strain on emergency service resources. One of the first things they teach you in management training is that failure to prepare equals preparing to fail. Its not just a buzz phrase, its practical advice that works.

I’ll. say again, prepare for what?

Just now, Aggy said:

I’ll. say again, prepare for what?

Prepare for the lockdown that is now inevitable.

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

Lots of stray cats round our way.

Or, more likely, go to the shops/order more food. Of course you won’t say that because it proves there’s no reason to be stockpiling in the first place. 

Just now, ricardo said:

Prepare for the lockdown that is now inevitable.

Ah yes the governments grand plan to stop the spread of coronavirus. Starve millions of people so 20,000 over 70s don’t catch the flu.

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

The flu

Oh dear.

If only.

Funny you don’t respond to any substantive points raised. Scaremongering, selfishness. But hey, it’s everyone else who is being ridiculous because they haven’t stockpiled for months on end.