Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Jostling Mob of Morons

1 hour ago, Aggy said:

Why do we need police and army as suggested in this thread? If shops don’t sell more than 2 (or 4) items of a certain product and actually enforce that, then I reckon it would solve most of the issue. 

Is the panic buying because of worries about Coronavirus, or because people are worried that there won’t be anything left because of other idiots stockpiling? If there was a guarantee people couldn’t take more than two of anything, and it was actually being enforced, then I’m sure people would just shop in their usual way.

The shop where she works has been restricting the number of items that people can buy to 3 since Wednesday Aggy (and they have been enforcing it) - it has made absolutely no difference. And of course some people fill up their trolley with as much as they are allowed - take it to their car - and then come back in again for another go. 

5 minutes ago, ricardo said:

If you dont  have enough to last until then you have failed to prepare. There were plenty of warnings and more than enough time to make sure you could survive for two or three weeks without going out.

I don’t know about you Ricardo but I have a family of five, I haven’t got room to store all the food we would need for 3 weeks mate.

Edited by Rivvo
Number
  • Like 4

If you don’t have enough it is because other people are selfish and stupid and People encouraging people to stock up on social media. As the PHE said  shame on you for encouraging this shameful behaviour. There is no problem with supply. There is a problem with demand In the UK because of a problem with UK society. There is no problem in other European countries with more severe restrictions. It is a problem with the selfish mentality of British  people and those that encourage this sort of behaviour on social media. People will stock up and stops will restock. It is a temporary delay and disruption due to a 1bn worth of selfish idiots in the UK.  Shameful and embarrassing and idiotic behaviour by the British and those that encourage such behaviour on social media. Personally I’ve had  no problem whatsoever because I live in a far less selfish less individualistic society. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rivvo said:

I don’t know about you Ricardo but I have a family of five, I haven’t got room to store all the food we would need for 3 weeks mate.

Indeed, I perfectly understand your predicament. Its just me and Mrs R so it wasn't a huge problem to get a little extra each week and build up enough should it become necessary.

54 minutes ago, Indy said:

To be honest we did a three hour walk with picnic around Dunwich  woods, lots of people with dogs keeping their distance, it was absolutely lovely. Then stopped at Aldi, bought some fruit n veg no issues.

Stopped to do lottery at the paper shop, outside stood six or seven teenagers all smoking and laughing, couldn’t have been 15 or 16 at most. I bet it was their parents at Asda this morning. No social morals just selfish arseholes,

I started smoking at 11. Not sure what your point is.

17 minutes ago, Rivvo said:

Exactly this. Likewise not everyone can afford to have been buying excess food for weeks on end. A food shop for a family of five probably isn’t the cheapest at the best of time, never mind paying for extra stuff you might need in a month.

Unfortunately, there are people in the “risk” category who are as inconsiderate of the circumstances of anyone who is “non risk” as well.

Edited by Aggy

2 minutes ago, T said:

If you don’t have enough it is because other people are selfish and stupid and People encouraging people to stock up on social media. As the PHE said  shame on you for encouraging this shameful behaviour. There is no problem with supply. There is a problem with demand In the UK because of a problem with UK society. There is no problem in other European countries with more severe restrictions. It is a problem with the selfish mentality of British  people and those that encourage this sort of behaviour on social media. People will stock up and stops will restock. It is a temporary delay and disruption due to a 1bn worth of selfish idiots in the UK.  Shameful and embarrassing and idiotic behaviour by the British and those that encourage such behaviour on social media. Personally I’ve had  no problem whatsoever because I live in a far less selfish less individualistic society. 

Couldn't have put it better myself.

3 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

I started smoking at 11. Not sure what your point is.

My issue is that they were all in very close proximity to the entrance of the shops acting as if nothing has changed, being little chavs. Had their parents actually done parenting than they would be responsible and respectful to the current issues.

Edited by Indy

18 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

The shop where she works has been restricting the number of items that people can buy to 3 since Wednesday Aggy (and they have been enforcing it) - it has made absolutely no difference. And of course some people fill up their trolley with as much as they are allowed - take it to their car - and then come back in again for another go. 

I think it’s probably a case of not doing enough sooner (not your girlfriend’s place specifically,  but supermarkets more generally). Unless and until everywhere strictly enforces such a policy then nobody will change.

I suppose there’s also the fact people could buy stuff up and then drive down the road and do the same again elsewhere. Not sure how even the police or army etc would stop that, unless you had a “ration book” (which would still be far too OTT at the moment in my opinion).

10 minutes ago, T said:

Agreed with this (and have run out of “reactions” to like it!). 

On the positive side, the increased demand in shops and of food producers has generated jobs which could well still be needed. Plenty of people have already been laid off and I dare say the companies who have taken such action already are probably unlikely to take the employees back on so they can benefit from the government’s new wage subsidy proposals. Good to see places such as Bernard Matthews offering longer term jobs but also shorter term ones in the press yesterday - a good stop gap for people who might be out of work and unable to find work in their normal sectors until all of the Coronavirus stuff has died down a bit.

Yes people will move from example  hospitality to retail and delivery. Another reason why it is temporary and no need to panic. 

10 minutes ago, T said:

Yes people will move from example  hospitality to retail and delivery. Another reason why it is temporary and no need to panic. 

Probably only food retail. Many non- food high street retailers will suffer significantly. Most are already struggling - a month or two of having next to no customers could easily be the end for a lot of household high street names. 

10 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Probably only food retail. Many non- food high street retailers will suffer significantly. Most are already struggling - a month or two of having next to no customers could easily be the end for a lot of household high street names. 

The trouble is Aggy we’re all guilty of using the easy option of the internet and this has really killed off the high street.....maybe we’ll all have a reset to using local shops again and hopefully supporting our local towns to grow again.

2 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

My girlfriend works in one of the Asda's in Norwich.

She came home from work this morning in tears.

She has been working all this week and says it has been a nightmare, but this morning it was far, far worse...........

Hope she is ok, it is absolutely ridiculous (and disgusting) that anyone should have to put up with this kind treatment whilst trying to do their job.

I don't consider myself remotely authoritarian in outlook but I've never understood why we so readily accept the vile abuse of/assaults on NHS staff in NHS A & E departments every single Friday and Saturday night for as long as I can remember (and probably other days as well!) when that kind of behaviour would result in people being arrested in any other context. Unfortunately in the current crisis your girlfriend and many like her are also in the front line as far as these selfish idiots are concerned.

This morning, for the first time I went out shopping first thing - although in the overall scheme of things its a minor thing I was getting a bit teed off that I haven't even seen a bag of flour for a couple of weeks at least, so I thought see if the early bird did actually.........

Went to Aldi first (busy but not rammed) then Morrisons (not even busy, for clarity neither in Norfolk) and got most of what I needed but still not even a sighting of flour! And the thing that struck me most was that (presumably following yesterday's announcement about the pubs closing) all the beer and wine had been striped from the shelves by the stupid idiots. Even while toilet rolls, flour, pasta etc etc have disappeared from the shelves there has been absolutely no problem with booze and I'm sure there are warehouses full of it.

We are not all in this in together, and quite frankly we're never going to be, because whilst we have many good people trying to do the right thing we also have a huge bunch of morons and worse than that a bunch of morons who think they are fully entitled to do whatever they like irrespective of the impact on those around them. We have a sick and divided society and IMO it is pretty scarey that not even a crisis on this scale is uniting us to combat it.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Indy said:

The trouble is Aggy we’re all guilty of using the easy option of the internet and this has really killed off the high street.....maybe we’ll all have a reset to using local shops again and hopefully supporting our local towns to grow again.

Agreed although I  think a lot of retailers have failed (or refused) to adapt. Those who are doing best tend to either have diversified and/or have some sort of “experience” element or have become very niche. They need to draw the customers in now - make me want to go there instead of shopping. 

In Manchester where I’m currently based, Next now has a barbers, I think it has a nail bar, a restaurant/bar, a Paperchase pop up type section with cards and stationery, and regularly has other pop ups as well. It does clothes but also home stuff and also has a gifts section. It’s one of the most successful Nexts in the country (other than I think a couple in London which have similar “experiences” in the stores already). Other stores give you a drink when you go in or samples, or tell you some sort of “story” while you’re walking round. I went into a book store the other day which had a “park” in it - AstroTurf with a kiddies play area for the children and “park benches” for adults to sit and have a drink before/after perusing the books. I expect more of the high street will have to move in that sort of direction if it wants to survive. 

Coronavirus effectively shutting down stores though isn’t going to help regardless of how successful they’ve been until now.

Edited by Aggy

Us supermarket workers generally get treated like dirt pretty much all year round so this is nothing new, people know we'll lose our job if we stand up for ourselves so they cowardly find great pleasure in belittling and trying to bully us, it always amuses me how different people speak to me when I'm in uniform and out of it . But now it seems people feel like they're entitled to go even further, one of my colleagues at Kings Lynn Iceland was punched in the face today by a customer. We're all working extremely hard doing crazy hours and leaving ourselves exposed to infection yet many people are still acting like rude, entitled, petulant brats. Wouldn't surprise me if we hear many more cases of fights between staff and customers in the coming weeks with so many people acting like brainless morons. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Us supermarket workers generally get treated like dirt pretty much all year round so this is nothing new, people know we'll lose our job if we stand up for ourselves so they cowardly find great pleasure in belittling and trying to bully us, it always amuses me how different people speak to me when I'm in uniform and out of it . But now it seems people feel like they're entitled to go even further, one of my colleagues at Kings Lynn Iceland was punched in the face today by a customer. We're all working extremely hard doing crazy hours and leaving ourselves exposed to infection yet many people are still acting like rude, entitled, petulant brats. Wouldn't surprise me if we hear many more cases of fights between staff and customers in the coming weeks with so many people acting like brainless morons. 

Sorry to hear that, we have a fantastic coop locally with brilliant friendly staff.

9 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Sadly Christoph I don't think there is any 'acting' involved -  as you say yourself, even in normal times there is a plentiful supply of entitled morons in this country who, quite bizzarely, seem to think that this crisis gives them a licence to ramp up their stupidity 😧

Since the recent closure of club-lands, pubs, bars and bazaars around the country......Why not re-employ/utilise the current out of work door staff, security (bouncers) both male and female to maintain order in and around our supermarkets......?  Just a thought......

• Like 1

Just now, Mello Yello said:

Since the recent closure of club-lands, pubs, bars and bazaars around the country......Why not re-employ/utilise the current out of work door staff, security (bouncers) both male and female to maintain order in and around our supermarkets......?  Just a thought......

If the situation has reached the point where supermarkets need bouncers then society is seriously broken.

5 hours ago, T said:

This is not a problem with UK govt. It is a problem with UK society. As reported elsewhere I’m living in what is officially termed a disaster zone or state of erergency or curfew. However you want to translate it. No queues. Just polite and orderly and shops naturally restocking. Just ignore the herd and buy what you normally need. As PHE said shameful behaviour in the UK. Don’t be a sheep. 

You are totally right T that it is a problem with UK society (in reality a section of UK society). However, when there is a problem with a section of society it is up to the government to act to protect the decent majority of society. That's why we have a police force, courts and jails. 

I am sorry to hear this OP. 

Supermarket staff don't get paid near enough to put up with all of this. They are also putting themselves and their families at risk of infection to ensure we can buy food. 

B&Q was very busy today with customers and the usual shoplifters (want to buy some cheap spotlights?) as people bought their DIY projects for the shutdown. 

Is it true stores are now short staffed as older staff have been stood down? 

I was impressed by the good nature of the young man on the till with a long continuous queue. 

What needs to happen is for stores to shut for a day if staff are being abused or to restrict entry. Be polite or lose the facility. 

Please tell your girlfriend many people really appreciate the shop staff who are very much 'key workers.' 

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

If the situation has reached the point where supermarkets need bouncers then society is seriously broken.

Not at all, utilising trained door staff allowing them to supplement and assist the supermarket security.....and to ensure that supermarket staff and sensible shoppers can go about their business without the less considerate and supercilious creating disorder or abusing folk ......The obnoxious of society would hopefully think twice and curtail their inappropriate attitude and boorish behaviour towards those wishing to shop and serve customers......I think those who may have a problem with that.....may have a problem......?

8 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

We have had a delivery every week for the past 2 years and can't get another until 10th April. Won't bother after this week anyway as the majority of it wasn't available. 

I have a sensible solution to this..... Ban shopping trolleys...... Baskets only. Everything will get back to normal pretty quickly and it takes the pressure off of supermarket staff that have to try and implement pathetic company procedures that people don't listen to 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Not at all, utilising trained door staff allowing them to supplement and assist the supermarket security.....and to ensure that supermarket staff and sensible shoppers can go about their business without the less considerate and supercilious creating disorder or abusing folk ......The obnoxious of society would hopefully think twice and curtail their inappropriate attitude and boorish behaviour towards those wishing to shop and serve customers......I think those who may have a problem with that.....may have a problem......?

I'm not opposed to the idea at all, by the way. That wasn't my point.

It's just a sad state of affairs that we're even discussing the idea of bouncers at a pissing supermarket.

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'm not opposed to the idea at all, by the way. That wasn't my point.

It's just a sad state of affairs that we're even discussing the idea of bouncers at a pissing supermarket.

It's more of a sad state of affairs that supermarket staff and customers can't go about doing their jobs and business without a small percentage of undesirable society members and their boorish and beligerent behaviour denying and disrupting staff and shoppers performing their daily functioning......Ok, 'bouncers' is an archaic term but they are a lot different to the 'old days' and must have training and SIA badges and including first aid etc.....

Look at France and the current Police enforcement during the current crisis......Is that a sad state of affairs?.....Or just a pi$$ing pain in the ar$e for the French populace?....

5 hours ago, ricardo said:

If you dont  have enough to last until then you have failed to prepare. There were plenty of warnings and more than enough time to make sure you could survive for two or three weeks without going out.

Totally agree Ricardo. 

We have been through our cupboards, fridge and freezer this afternoon putting a list of what we have and hoping that we have at least 2 weeks of provisions. We don't but we're in a better place than many and we'll deal woth it as we need to. I certainly won't allow 'stock piling' but I don't want to be judged if we decide that we need to shop at 6am to get what we need to get for the week. 

God knows how the proper elderly and NHS staff are getting by! 

I stand by what I've said before..... Ban shopping trollies! 

16 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

It's more of a sad state of affairs that supermarket staff and customers can't go about doing their jobs and business without a small percentage of undesirable society members and their boorish and beligerent behaviour denying and disrupting staff and shoppers performing their daily functioning......Ok, 'bouncers' is an archaic term but they are a lot different to the 'old days' and must have training and SIA badges and including first aid etc.....

Look at France and the current Police enforcement during the current crisis......Is that a sad state of affairs?.....Or just a pi$$ing pain in the ar$e for the French populace?....

I think you've missed my point again. I'm actually agreeing with you, but you seem to be trying to argue about something anyway.

Just answer this question: do you think it's a good thing that supermarkets need bouncers, or would you prefer it if they weren't needed?

Assuming your answer is the latter, then I think we're done here.

• Haha 1

Went to Tesco’s yesterday and Tesco’s have bizarrely closed the scan as you shop, presumably because of the amount of people that would be handling them, so every person had to go though the people on the checkouts. All they had done is taped a square on the floor that you couldn’t stand in but none of the checkout staff were wearing gloves. Surely this is putting the checkout staff at unnecessary risk? I’d have thought that closing the checkouts and only having the scan as you shop open would put far less people at risk, and have a team of people with anti bacterial cleaner, cleaning the scanners as they are handed back.