Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Jostling Mob of Morons

My girlfriend works in one of the Asda's in Norwich.

She came home from work this morning in tears.

She has been working all this week and says it has been a nightmare, but this morning it was far, far worse. When she got to work just before 8am there was already a huge queue stretching all the way across the car park. When the doors were opened the crowd surged in and stripped some of the shelves bare within minutes - even though there were restrictions on how many items people could buy. 

She said that the store was crammed so full that you could hardly move and that it was little different to a rugby scrum.

Meanwhile in a parallel universe the government is advising us to keep social distance as much as possible and many people are self isolating in their own homes.

What's the point - tens of thousands of people are going to get infected in Asda, Sainsburys, Morrisons, Tesco, Waitrose etc - and this includes the poor staff who have no choice but to be there. 

And our government? Asleep on the job and making half-hearted pleas for people to 'shop responsibly'. There's no point in closing down pubs, restaurants and cinemas if people are crammed in like sardines in our supermarkets just because they are literally dying to go shopping. 

If the government is remotely serious about stopping the needless deaths of tens of thousands of people they need to bring in either the police or the army to restrict the numbers of people in supermarkets to a sensible number - whereby social distance can be maintained - at any one time. 

Sadly it sounds like the only way and I suspect the further pleas from government today for people to behave rationally are the precursor to a more enforcement based approached. What a bunch of whankers they are.

15 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

If the government is remotely serious about stopping the needless deaths of tens of thousands of people they need to bring in either the police or the army to restrict the numbers of people in supermarkets to a sensible number - whereby social distance can be maintained - at any one time. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

She has been working all this week and says it has been a nightmare, but this morning it was far, far worse. When she got to work just before 8am there was already a huge queue stretching all the way across the car park. When the doors were opened the crowd surged in and stripped some of the shelves bare within minutes - even though there were restrictions on how many items people could buy. 

She said that the store was crammed so full that you could hardly move and that it was little different to a rugby scrum.

Meanwhile in a parallel universe the government is advising us to keep social distance as much as possible and many people are self isolating in their own homes.

What's the point - tens of thousands of people are going to get infected in Asda, Sainsburys, Morrisons, Tesco, Waitrose etc - and this includes the poor staff who have no choice but to be there. 

And our government? Asleep on the job and making half-hearted pleas for people to 'shop responsibly'. There's no point in closing down pubs, restaurants and cinemas if people are crammed in like sardines in our supermarkets just because they are literally dying to go shopping. 

Unfortunately thayt is not what is intended. It is to regulate where possible to number of cases needong hospital treatment, so as to be able to manage the 'flow'

At the moment the NHS is still clearing out what they refer to as 'winter pressure' ie an increase due to seasonal flu, novirus etc among the old. The level of dfeaths will not change much, it will simply be flattened out.

As to ASDA and the others I have every sympathy  for your girlfriend. Staff should not be put on the frontline dealing with people's greed..... and the greed of the supermarkeys. While some have put up token '4 only items' signs it is patently obvious this is no more than a tick box exercise as virtuallky nothing is being done in the way of enforcement. 

Shooting (my prefered method) may be a tad harsh but having a supervisor checking what people are buying and telling them they will not be served with an excess of one product is not difficult. If that is their intent. It is not.

It is a case of pile it up and sell it off, and listen to the till.

A weak government led by a spineless PM is allowing this to continue with nothing being done bar handwringing requests.

Wait till the Daily Mail starts running scare stories that there is going to be a petrol shortage.

Edited by Bill
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Apparently the UK now has £1bn worth more food in its cupboards and freezers than usual. We must be getting to the point when the cupboards are full. Apart from the mental and physical health of people like your girlfriend the real issue is what will happen to all this food. I suspect it will eventually be thrown away. 

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Bill said:

While some have put up token '4 only items' signs it is patently obvious this is no more than a tick box exercise as virtuallky nothing is being done in the way of enforcement. 

Sorry Bill but this isn’t correct, quite a few supermarkets are enforcing these rules, not going to say all, but some are. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

That sounds very unpleasant indeed for your girlfriend Thirstyo. Some people really need to have  a word with themselves. Though I dont know you or your girlfriend, try to reassure her that by staying in work and serving these selfish feckers, she is going beyond what would previously be expected of a shopworker. The sooner the ignorant masses realise that they should show the workers in foodstores the respect they would other frontline workers, for that is what they have become, the better. Anyone prepared to risk their own safety in order to serve the needs of others deserve more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is not a problem with UK govt. It is a problem with UK society. As reported elsewhere I’m living in what is officially termed a disaster zone or state of erergency or curfew. However you want to translate it. No queues. Just polite and orderly and shops naturally restocking. Just ignore the herd and buy what you normally need. As PHE said shameful behaviour in the UK. Don’t be a sheep. 

Edited by T
  • Like 1

It is so sad to see that there are such selfish scum living amongst us. 
social media is good at self promotion and calling out those that were going to the pub. I do not know why the same social media has not shamed the pond life that stack trollies and use children with their own baskets to get around buying restrictions. 
photo and shame these to55ers. 
I don’t see it as a Government problem, they are already having to demonstrate to thick tw@ts how to wash their hands and clean their phones. 

Thankfully I've missed all the scrums by staying indoors for a week.

All supermarkets deliver.

Why do we need police and army as suggested in this thread? If shops don’t sell more than 2 (or 4) items of a certain product and actually enforce that, then I reckon it would solve most of the issue. 

Is the panic buying because of worries about Coronavirus, or because people are worried that there won’t be anything left because of other idiots stockpiling? If there was a guarantee people couldn’t take more than two of anything, and it was actually being enforced, then I’m sure people would just shop in their usual way.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Our friend works in the local Co-Op, she had a woman get abusive towards her because she would not let her buy eight loaves of bread, what is wrong with people?.........

Sh it like that should mean an instant ban from the shop

Until these cretins grasp that greed and unreasonable behaviour has consequences then this will continue

Personall I would have dragged out of the shop and given herr a good kick, or two in the c***

There is an alternative viewpoint to this and while I wholeheartedly agree with condemning those who are stock piling and who are causing the problems in the first place and abusing staff, the simple truth is that some of those who have not been stock piling are finding that they can't get what they need and are having to get what they can when they can. It is like a viscious circle that gradually sucks everyone into it. 

But it will calm down, people will realise there is enough to go round and the situation will improve.  People are scared, that's all and are trying to deal with it all as best they can. Blanket condemning of people is not the answer - some people, yes, are acting like selfish idiots, but like my sister has not been able to get any bread in the last two days - is she to be condemned for going in early to a shop and buying a couple of loaves plus maybe one or two to freeze?  That isn't stockpiling, it is shopping so she can feed her family today and tomorrow and maybe the next day and she knows from experience of the last few days she hasn't been able to get what she needs.  

We're all in it together and the sooner it calms down the better, but not everyone that goes into a shop is trying to stockpile, many are just trying to get basics that they need maybe wanting to isolate and trying to buy enough so they don't have to go out shopping again for a few days.

The bottom line is that once people have full cupboards and freezers, then it will return more to normal and people will start buying more sustainably.  Keep calm and carry on is the message - yes, some will never get it and will always be ignorant morons, but most people recognise what needs to be done and it will calm down.  Some policing wouldn't go amiss though.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Why do we need police and army as suggested in this thread? If shops don’t sell more than 2 (or 4) items of a certain product and actually enforce that, then I reckon it would solve most of the issue. 

Is the panic buying because of worries about Coronavirus, or because people are worried that there won’t be anything left because of other idiots stockpiling? If there was a guarantee people couldn’t take more than two of anything, and it was actually being enforced, then I’m sure people would just shop in their usual way.

wise words

unfortunately enforcement costs money and costs sale s (money)

so it is a case of sell it off to whoever can afford it

however not so much with smaller shops I will add

If people have any human decency it does not have to be enforced by anyone else. People just need to look at themselves and act decently. 

To be honest mental really, but we went into Aldi at 4.30 not at all different to any other weekend, plenty fruit & veg, everyone acting normal and sticking to two items max per person. Sorry you’re other half he’d to endure the scum of society this morning. I’m sticking to shopping as normal just buying items as needed.

Edited by Indy
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, T said:

If people have any human decency it does not have to be enforced by anyone else. People just need to look at themselves and act decently. 

I agree. Its depressing that the army and police are being asked for because a load of grown ups can't shop by themselves. They should be personally embarrassed beyond all comprehension.

Also, I've seen shop assistants try and enforce themselves but they're getting abuse they dont deserve and aren't paid for.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Sorry Bill but this isn’t correct, quite a few supermarkets are enforcing these rules, not going to say all, but some are. 

Some of the self serve checkouts detect more than the limit and won’t let you buy.

• Like 2

To be honest we did a three hour walk with picnic around Dunwich  woods, lots of people with dogs keeping their distance, it was absolutely lovely. Then stopped at Aldi, bought some fruit n veg no issues.

Stopped to do lottery at the paper shop, outside stood six or seven teenagers all smoking and laughing, couldn’t have been 15 or 16 at most. I bet it was their parents at Asda this morning. No social morals just selfish arseholes,

Edited by Indy

22 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Thankfully I've missed all the scrums by staying indoors for a week.

Even the delivery companies like Ocado are struggling. God knows what people need.

12 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

I went to one supermarket last night, they had staff at the door letting one in for every one out 

Worked well, plenty of room in the store to keep 2m apart from everyone else 

apart from those outside 😊

I did my usual weekend routine of having a long walk that ends up at the local Waitrose around 11 so avoided the early mayhem; just picked up a few bits and bobs but most veg, bread, milk etc were gone or very close to it so it must have been a bit mad.  I’d rather miss out than join that gang of fools. 
 We have always had milk delivered wherever we live - firm believers in it and extra handy at times like this.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

apart from those outside 😊

Wasn't many outside, I only had to wait a couple of minutes to get in 

I take your point though 

Perhaps, in busier locations, they could implement a proper queuing system, if the public are really unable to manage themselves 

40 minutes ago, ricardo said:

As long as you are prepared to wait until 10th April 

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Unfortunately thayt is not what is intended. It is to regulate where possible to number of cases needong hospital treatment, so as to be able to manage the 'flow'

At the moment the NHS is still clearing out what they refer to as 'winter pressure' ie an increase due to seasonal flu, novirus etc among the old. The level of dfeaths will not change much, it will simply be flattened out.

Of course the intention is to reduce deaths.

The flattening out is to keep the number needing ventilators below the number available (and hopefully delay spread so that the research can pay dividends).

I suspect though that you already know this.  

The numbers are probably being swelled by second homers fleeing the capital.  It's happening all over the country.  Some Scottish islands are being closed off.

2 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

And when this is all done and she looks back she can honestly say to herself that in her own way she was a hero for a few weeks.

Others will be able to look back at a big pile of bog roll and shame.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

As long as you are prepared to wait until 10th April 

If you dont  have enough to last until then you have failed to prepare. There were plenty of warnings and more than enough time to make sure you could survive for two or three weeks without going out.