Sign in to follow this  
Disco Dales Jockstrap

Films and books to make the days and weeks ahead that little easier

5 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Has anyone read the autobiography of Anthony Kiedis ? I’ve heard it’s pretty good

A colleague at work read it and highly recommends it. He didn't stop talking about it after. From what he said how Kiedis is still alive is the amazing thing.

Keith Richards book is decent, if a little bit long for me. 

Ive also read Michael Bailey’s ( bass player for the Undertones ) book. They really were incredibly naive and signed a really poor record deal. I liked the fact the Fergal had to ask for a day off work so they could go on Top of the Pops ! 😁

Edited by FenwayFrank

4 hours ago, The Raptor said:

I'm not a fan of the band at all and I don't think you don't have to be to enjoy it. The Metallica documentary 'some kind of monster' is a great watch. The band pretty much fall apart on screen. 

Same, never been into them and never will be, but I have no doubts that would be a very interesting documentary indeed, a lot has certainly gone down within that band for sure - thanks for the heads up, Raptor 👍🏼

3 hours ago, Making Plans said:

If you are a muscian or if you just like music then this is a very interesting & informative Youtube Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/pegzch

It's run by a very knowledgable and talented American guy called Rick Beato.

He posts new videos 2 or 3 times a week, mostly they run for 15 to 20 minutes and he concentrates of 3 main areas -

1. What Makes This Song Great - here he takes mostly well known songs and disects them bit by bit, instrument by instrument and section by section. There are nearly 100 songs and even if you only have a casual interest in music I think you'll find these interesting.

As Steve Lukather & Toto are mentioned above the video below is a good place to start

2. Music Theory and Composition - probably of interest only if you are a muscian

3. Top 20 Countdowns - self explanatory and interesting

There are a couple of other sections covering Film Scoring and Guitar Videos.

Cheers MP, funnily enough, as coincidence would have it, I have just started watching this guys channel of late, he just did one of these ‘What makes this song great?’ on one of my friends bands songs haha

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

In a similar vein The Story of Anvil is also a brilliant, uplifting doc about a metal band. You don't and probably won't like their music but their attitude is great. A band that nearly made it but didn't stop dreaming. A real life Spinal Tap.

I’ve seen that, it’s brilliant - your summary of ‘a real life Spinal Tap’ is spot on, I seem to remember feeling really gutted for them but it does have its uplifting moments. Like you say, some of these documentaries, you don’t even have to be a fan of the music to enjoy the story, this would be one of them for many I’m sure.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Has anyone read the autobiography of Anthony Kiedis ? I’ve heard it’s pretty good

I like the Chili Peppers, although not read his bio. Although I watched the 1991 movie 'Point Break' with Swayze and Keanu for about the 4th time the other day (saw it when it first came out at the Anglia Square cinema, blimey life flies by).....Anyway, then realised that Kiedis plays a character called 'Tone' in the movie......Says a lot about my attention to movie detail......

40 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Haven’t heard of this but my sort of thing even though it’s not my sort of music. Might get it to read on holiday, if I ever get out of the country ! 

Worth every penny mate, I’m only 2/3rds of the way through it, and Slash’s pet cougar has just attacked some woman in his living room whilst they’re all doing rock star things in the kitchen of his LA retreat haha. Oh and the Chips actor, Eric Estrada, who actually (sadly) thinks he’s a copper in real life too haha

30 minutes ago, kick it off said:

My mum is a big music books fan - will have to grab the gospel one as she won’t have read it and sounds right up her street. Thanks for recommendation 

In that case she’ll 110% love it, KIO 👍🏼

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Just about to order it now, I know a bit about that bands back history but this is another book that has evaded me thus far, cheers for the heads up Fenway 👍🏼

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

Yes. It's pretty good. I do love a good biography. Got fleas one out of the library at the moment. Just started that. 

9 hours ago, The Raptor said:

'The emperor and the wolf' great book about kurosawa and mifine and the films they made together. Well worth a read if you can get hold of it. 

Thanks for the top tip Raptor! I will defo buy!

OTBC

On 21/03/2020 at 11:44, Canary Wundaboy said:

I plan on using video games to pass the time, have a massive pile of shame built up and can’t wait to start ripping through it.

If you have access to a PC and Steam, can I recommend 'Deep Rock Galactic'. A cooperative game involving mining space dwarfs...

OTBC

16 hours ago, kick it off said:

Let me know how you get on with it!

Couldn’t find it on Netflix but have got most on YouTube. First episode took a while to get going but enough for me to stick with it!

12 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Couldn’t find it on Netflix but have got most on YouTube. First episode took a while to get going but enough for me to stick with it!

On Amazon Prime - just checked. Apologies

19 minutes ago, kick it off said:

On Amazon Prime - just checked. Apologies

👍

For anyone that likes a modern day gangster tale  ' love/ hate' is on  the rte player. Several series following the  antics of a bunch of Dublin hoods.   Not sure if on iplayer or all4 as I think both bought it from the Oirish.

• Thanks 1

There are hundreds of good films out there for free.

Just watched A Man For All Seasons & The Big Heat. Superb films in very different ways.

been reading a few William Boyd novels lately. Easy to read but still moving, very human & humane. Got a few poetry collections as well to keep me going.

Everyone should read Bertrand Russell's A History Of Western Philosophy. Idiosyncratic, entertaining, witty, intelligent & highly readable; probably the best guide to life, the universe & everything.

4 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

There are hundreds of good films out there for free.

Just watched A Man For All Seasons & The Big Heat. Superb films in very different ways.

been reading a few William Boyd novels lately. Easy to read but still moving, very human & humane. Got a few poetry collections as well to keep me going.

Everyone should read Bertrand Russell's A History Of Western Philosophy. Idiosyncratic, entertaining, witty, intelligent & highly readable; probably the best guide to life, the universe & everything.

I've read his ' In praise of Idleness '

Can recommend. 

In terms of 'how the hell are they still alive or not in prison for life' the dirt by motley crue. Not a fan of the music but loved the book. The film is toned down a bit but well worth a watch. Crazy fools!

'dear boy' biography of Keith moon a great read. He cramed alot into his 38 years. Will always be my favourite drummer 

23 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

In terms of 'how the hell are they still alive or not in prison for life' the dirt by motley crue. Not a fan of the music but loved the book. The film is toned down a bit but well worth a watch. Crazy fools!

'dear boy' biography of Keith moon a great read. He cramed alot into his 38 years. Will always be my favourite drummer.

Edited by ron obvious
replaced with louder version
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

For anyone that likes a modern day gangster tale  ' love/ hate' is on  the rte player. Several series following the  antics of a bunch of Dublin hoods.   Not sure if on iplayer or all4 as I think both bought it from the Oirish.

Not on either but I'm going to try and dig it out - tried to watch on RTE player with VPN but it clocked the VPN and wouldn't play...

EDIT: Found it - not heard of it before so hope it's good!

Edited by kick it off

11 hours ago, kick it off said:

Not on either but I'm going to try and dig it out - tried to watch on RTE player with VPN but it clocked the VPN and wouldn't play...

EDIT: Found it - not heard of it before so hope it's good!

Well done kick it offo. I watched it on tv as it was released, now block bigeing a few episodes at a time, am on series 4 ep 6 tonight.  I felt it was an excellent no pulled punches drama, series one was made very cheaply as  not  much was expected from it,  but it proved a hit here and consequently , production values were upped for further series. There are some young fresh faces in it that youll possibly recognise as it launched a few careers.  Gotta love Nige the anti hero, more comcerned about his balding pate than he is about his wife, 'mates' and pretty much anything really, except clawing his way to the top.

Inner city scum bags given power, money , drugs, guns and girls........how could it possibly go smoothly. Chuck in a bit of IRA  interest in their activities and you get the picture.

Best line..... "No, not jimmy, he was the most peaceful bomb maker I know.".....classic.

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, The Raptor said:

'dear boy' biography of Keith moon a great read. He cramed alot into his 38 years. Will always be my favourite drummer 

The very last performance by Keith Moon. Now if this doesn't cheer you up probably nothing will. Real music played by real people.

On 22/03/2020 at 08:46, FenwayFrank said:

It didn't sell very well...so he's been having to give it away, give it away, give it away now. 😂

Apples

• Haha 2

It may not work so well on the small screen (as it's small on the big screen) but I saw The Lighthouse a few weeks back and it was incredible. 😱👍

Apples

On 21/03/2020 at 13:35, PurpleCanary said:

I like the Shardlake books although I thought Tombland was overlong and not well plotted, with too much plodding around on horseback. As a starter book I would much more recommend Sovereign, set in York.

For those who appreciate atmospheric spy books and haven’t discovered Alan Furst you are in for a treat. But ignore the last four, which have been awful by his standards. The books (apart from two set mainly in France) don’t have to be read chronologically, so anything among the first eleven, from Night Soldiers through to Spies of the Balkans, will have you wanting to read the other ten.

For viewing the original Das Boot is excellent, as is the recent TV series follow-up, but I think for the latter you may need access to Sky Atlantic or get the box set. On Netflix there is Godless, a spectacular western series with Michelle Dockery and Jeff Daniels.

PS. Drazen, I agree about Kurosawa, having just finished a box set of all his classics.

In a very similar vein to the Shardlake books there is the John Shakespeare (brother of William...) series by Rory Clements. Perhaps not quite so well written but just as page-turning.

There is a series on Netflix called The English Game which is a drama about the invention of football. I've just started watching so I'll report back 

I'm a bit confused as to how so many people suddenly have so much free time, I have a pile of films, games and books I've accrued over the last few years, but with the wife being a key worker and me being able to work from home I think I'm going to actually have less time as we now have to home school a 3 year old and a 7 year old which means the little pretence free time I did have in the evenings is now being taken up with the work I didn't get done during the day! 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

I'm a bit confused as to how so many people suddenly have so much free time, I have a pile of films, games and books I've accrued over the last few years, but with the wife being a key worker and me being able to work from home I think I'm going to actually have less time as we now have to home school a 3 year old and a 7 year old which means the little pretence free time I did have in the evenings is now being taken up with the work I didn't get done during the day! 

We're old🙄

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

There is a series on Netflix called The English Game which is a drama about the invention of football. I've just started watching so I'll report back 

Just watched the first episode. A bit too much like Downton Abbey for my liking but nevertheless a good insight into the history of the game. 

It reminded me that I read a book called The Inverted Pyramid about the history of football tactics. Absolutely fascinating. The Scots were the first to play a passing game and as a result were accused by The Times of cheating when they used the tactic to beat England. The English were still at the stage of charging people in a big group 

Edited by dylanisabaddog