pete

Will Coronavirus derail the PL gravy trai?.

Probably not, but will dramatically impact their finances.  Apparently trying to get PL clubs to relinquish a chunk of PL money looks to be about 1/3 of revenue when only 1/4 of season lost at present.  Obviously PL anticipating a financial hit from the delay in completing the season.  Good luck getting money from any relegated club.  The PL are right to be worried as they pulled the plug on the season too early, not saying cancelling was the wrong reason.  But they made the decision to suspend without sanction from UK government, UEFA or FIFA, in fact all sports are seemingly subject to the question in that each has taken unilateral to suspend its sport.  This leaves them open to legal action by the likes of SKY, BT and every broadcaster showing the PL across the globe.

In addition it is mooted there may be legal challenges from the EFL and clubs missing out on promotion which when including those who might have made the play offs, this on top of broadcasting organisations.  The costs may be enormous.  Expect the next round of PL negotiations not to be as lucrative to the PL and PL clubs.

Of course it can all be avoided if season is played out but who thinks that a possibility?  However there may be provisions regarding the timing of when the football is to be shown which may negate completing the season as PL will still be liable for the delay.  Also it is doubtful the PL can recover monies from the PL clubs they can ask of course.

Look forward to next season sometime but expect behind closed doors for PL to meet its contractual commitments.  A season starting in December will not work.  Null and void is still the obvious way this season will end.  

The World Snooker championships has just been postponed till July or August. That seems like a sensible approach. 

Quite how that would work with football is another matter. Just blindly saying we'll finish it whenever suggests that a 10 year old child is in charge 

Well returning 1/3 of the broadcast rights fees when only 1/4 of the season is left is not going to fly when that gets to court. The very British Law test of “reasonableness” will kick in and broadcasters (Sky/Comcast) will have to acknowledge that they got their 3/4 of a full season’s value. So they may get 1/4 back, but not 1/3. Not unless they have concrete data showing advertising and subscription revenue trends week by week through the season, but I doubt that it would increase much as the season draws to a close. And even if they can, is it reasonable to assume a season could not be concluded because of a pandemic? The fact that the League suspended its games over health before the national government did so for them should not make much of a difference in the end. 

Edited by Surfer

Let’s hope against hope this drama doesn’t kill the gravy train off. I’d sooner Norwich take an honourable bow to the Championship than the season end in a farce. 

My son came up with a brilliant idea.

Delia should go to the EPL meeting and say, relegation is fine it does not bother us and we couldn't care less. We value other things a little higher than this cheap vulgarity.

10 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The World Snooker championships has just been postponed till July or August. That seems like a sensible approach. 

Quite how that would work with football is another matter. Just blindly saying we'll finish it whenever suggests that a 10 year old child is in charge 

If we were top of the Championship right now would you honestly think the same ? 

5 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

If we were top of the Championship right now would you honestly think the same ? 

I'm sure Leeds and WBA are very upset but like all of us they must be baffled by the current lack of a plan. 

Sad how all thoughts of NCFC, the squad selection, the players and management and our PL plight, have totally gone to the back of my mind now. Ipswich? Who are they? Their plight used to be a source of fun yet now I've lost interest.It seems trivial.

For as long as I can remember City have been paramount in my thinking.

How quickly I have virtually lost interest. Yet we will need all our passions to be to the forefront of our thinking in the next few gruelling months in order to keep our minds active.

Sad times, but I'll still tune into the PinkUn every day and chip in occasionally as usual.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 4

It is difficult to say as we are not in that position but the fact is just like yesterday's announcement about shutting pubs etc, a decisive measure was taken. everyone knows now. And it is the same with football as far as I am concerned. This crisis presents a great opportunity for the excesses of the last decade and more  to stop. Stop the season now. Realise how badly affected less fortunate clubs and players are and make this an even greater game.

For Tranmere to say their income for each home game is the thick end of 300K brings shame on the EPL. And the greater financial crisis that will affect nearly everyone puts the worries of what division and loss of TV money into perspective. 

Their should be a HoC committee inquiry when things return to normal about how  football can be made more inclusive.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

It is difficult to say as we are not in that position but the fact is just like yesterday's announcement about shutting pubs etc, a decisive measure was taken. everyone knows now. And it is the same with football as far as I am concerned. This crisis presents a great opportunity for the excesses of the last decade and more  to stop. Stop the season now. Realise how badly affected less fortunate clubs and players are and make this an even greater game.

For Tranmere to say their income for each home game is the thick end of 300K brings shame on the EPL. And the greater financial crisis that will affect nearly everyone puts the worries of what division and loss of TV money into perspective. 

Their should be a HoC committee inquiry when things return to normal about how  football can be made more inclusive.

You are quite right but in this country we have 3 football authorities who don't exactly get on with each other. Only one of those has any money. It will take the Government's intervention to sort it out and they are going to have more important things to worry about for a long time. I just look with envy at Germany and wonder why on earth we can't be like that.