Sign in to follow this  
ctid

worthy's best tactics

I have had this thought for some time now and it started as a seed just before the end of last season ,but I now believe I have solved the problem of our managers applied tactics. We got lucky in a few games and stumbled accross a system that got us promoted: with a team that grew in confidence and defined it''s own tactics based on workrate and togethernesss. This bred above average performances. Which is all that is needed to get out of this "sunday league". We then turned up in the premiership: bought some reasonable players of notable pedigree for a price that did not break the bank and maintained the club''s policy of prudence. The management team thought they had the tactics sussed and either did not play the new acquisitions or played them out of position. They got injured( probaly more mentaly than physically and dissappeared) whilst the management team struggled to find the "right balance". Commonly known as "not knowing your arse from your elbow". Xmas came, got desperate bought a striker, decided we were down, played the internationals, went on a bit of a run playing without any of the boring "keeping what we have got" and put a few points on the board. Nearly pulled off the great escape !

I am close to the point now. This season, how many times have we started poorly, gone behind and then had a better second half because we have ditched the "tactics" and just gone for it ?. However, you can only start poorly and get away with it so many times until the rot sets in permanently, confidence and purpose is lost and defeat is expected in the sub-conscious. Thats where we are now. Who knows our best team ? unfathomable because no one at the club knows how we should play from one week to the next regardless of personnel. Are Reading such a quality team due to great individuals ? No, they are a unit with a game plan ; each knowing their responsibilties, able to produce consistent above average performances that the rest of cannot match. Will Sheff. Utd survive in the premier ? Not playing that "gung ho" style because premier teams are too clever for that. The truth is, Nigel is a genuine decent man, gave all his clubs loyal unstinting service, did not let them down with his work rate or application but never set the game alight with bouts of genius. These are facets he has brought to management.

I sincerely hope I am wrong. Up until recently I have liked the way the club has been run, but now I think it is time for a wholesale change. Perhaps the replacement is the man who has mugged us home and away this season. Adie Boothroyd knows the club and has done an excellent job with nothing like the funds the current management ( I include more than just NW in this) has had available.

Welcome ctid. Well laid out and very close to what many of us have been saying for a long time. If a team the size of Norwich, with it''s level of support and given the money we have spent compared to most in this division, experiences poor performance on the pitch over a long period of time, there comes a point where the manager ( or fans that align themselves with him ) pointing the finger at the players as not performing as the issue, in and of itself,  just does not come across as being credible.

No wonder Septic liked this post it is about as unintelligible and rambling as one of his. I had to read your reply three times to make sense of it Septic; try using punctuation.

It is about time there was a word limit on posts so the authors were forced to make clear and concise points.

And as for you grammar Septic I suppose she is in her rocking chair, on the porch with the screen door creaking in the breeze.

Well I had no problems reading your post ctid and I found it clear and thoughtful. There have been many posts of far greater length than this one.

I agree with yankee- many (but not all of course) on this Boad have held this view for a while now, even to the extent of realising that the departure of Boothroyd was a great loss and he would have been an ideal manager-in-waiting as when Mike Walker took over from Stringer, who took over from Brown who took over from Bond.

The lack of a game plan and proper organisation and discipline has been evident for 18 months now. The question I ask myself with a manager is: does he get more out of the team than as a collection of individuals. In the days of Stringer and Walker (version 1) the answer was an unequivocal yes. Now it seems to be a resounding no. We do actually have a strong squad now, despite Ashton going. But the team is continusously underachieving, despite the injuries. That is why I am in favour of a change in manager.

In hoping that this isn''t "unintelligible and rambling", yours

TW.

I like the article Ctid and would agree with almost all of it.  AB would be my immediate choice of management potential if he would be able to forget that the  Board of management in existance were stupid enough to let him leave.

He has brought Watford to a good level of performance.  As you say with not too much financial assisstance.

They, the board, that is, would be IMHO the greatest stumbling block in any change of fortunes that may be envisaged to turn the City FC in a forward direction.

Not least, the ownership of the clubs assets, would the present owners be prepare to sell out?  I have my doubts.

I wonder if Norwich City Council would make an offer, and first to become a co-opperative ownership of a football team, with a Norfolk lottery system and every Norfolk Dumpling a shareholder, what a prestige lifter for the club, and indeed the City.  OTBC

Well I understood all of your post ctid and agree with pretty much all of it. I have posted several times that in football some managers ''get lucky'' at certain clubs with certain sets of players that makes them (the managers) appear more gifted than perhaps they really are. I include Mike Walker in this group. This is no criticism of NW as a man or manager, simply that he either needs to refelct on his own performance and change accordingly, or he needs to move on. If City reach the play-offs this season with a string of wonderful attacking performances I would willingly eat humble-pie!

This season in my view has been a stop start season all year injuries keep popping up the disloyal ashton saga seemed to drag on for weeks.I dont find it hard to understand the lack of fluency in our play this season due to two of the things i have just mentioned.The latest three signings are very good players apart from zesh someone dont know much about him.But i do feel worthy is starting to get a decent squad together allbeit possibly to late for this year but we do have next year to look forward to.

ctid, that is an excellent post. Many fans have posted similar well constructed arguments like this for months now.

Problem is the Board (Smith in particular) are blinkered by nostalgia and an emotional tie with the manager. All I ask from them is to look OBJECTIVELY at his reign and (in particular) the TREND of results and perfrmances since August 2004. They simply cannot bring themsleves to do that.

I have printed your post and will read out at the next SCG in March.Eventually the message will get home but I fear the mood will turn ugly before the Board admit defeat. 

I''ll try again as the moderator kicked the first one into touch,Rudolph what is exactly your point?You have taken three paragraph to explain that you don''t like ctid''s grammar or sentence composition,well done you for being a clever b***er,trying to belittle fellow posters neither makes you big or clever,and certainly adds nothing to adult debates on this board...if you don''t like long posts,don''t read ''em!

[quote user="nolegs"]I''ll try again as the moderator kicked the first one into touch,Rudolph what is exactly your point?You have taken three paragraph to explain that you don''t like ctid''s grammar or sentence composition,well done you for being a clever b***er,trying to belittle fellow posters neither makes you big or clever,and certainly adds nothing to adult debates on this board...if you don''t like long posts,don''t read ''em![/quote]

You will notice that certain KTF`s spend most of their time bashing the fans instead of their opinions

In politics this is called "attack dog".

It means if you cannot bash the message, bash the messenger.

WORTHY OUT NOW.

Although not a regular poster. I have been an avid reader of this board for some time. I enjoy reasoned debate and respect conflicting opinions. Hucker obviously has his. However, I feel that just saying "Worthy out" because we are not playing well has no value and is insulting to both the manager and the readers of this board. Criticisism must be underpinned with example and an explained process of thought. unfortunately this takes more than two lines and sometimes you have to stick with it to understand the whole plot. I make no apologies for my poor grammar. I am Norwich born and bred and "write like I speak". I want to hear what fans have to say and why they feel the way they do. The one line quotes say nothing about the club, but more about the individual and remind me of the rag that has thrown the F.A. into turmoil, months before a world cup where expectation for England was high. Disagree with any post by all means but please, show respect for all posters. It would not be like this if we were top of the league ! 

I am a country boy wholeft Secondary Modern education with a 20 yard swimming certificate...so what?

I thought the original post just stated the obvious rather than something original but never mind this probably goes down well with Norwich supporters who, after all have a high tolerance level for mediocrity and lack ''what do you reckon, Neil'' originality.

I can see though ctid that you wrote from the heart and of course your post is brimming over with validity. I think you got caught up a little in the crossfire between me and Septic who I have taken to giving a dose of his own patronising, analytical and condescending medicine.

Septic throws too many rocks around in his glass house and I have been testing him out. Unlike Rant, he cannot take it so should try getting off his high horse a little. And yes, I do find his posts difficult to read. He obviously writes like he talks too!!!

I am a conditional Worthy Outer by the way so do not believe I belong in any particular group.

Totally agree USACanary - not sure that it is just ''KTF'' posters who attack the poster though but it is that sort of post that infuriates and brings out the worst in me as I start to do the same to highlight what that poster is doing - perhaps I need greater self constraint[:$]

Give me a poster who will engage and I am far happier - Amarillo and FTFW are two who have and I have far more respect when that discussion takes place.  I come on here for a post match in the pub type conversation - I would nt be bullied or bully anyone over a pint but would talk about it and accept each others differences  - on here it far too quickly degenerates into finger pointing and mauls