Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Remedy To Stop Panic Buying.

50 minutes ago, king canary said:

Everyone I've seen panic buying or stockpiling has generally been 40+. Bit of a generalisation but I've seen far more middle-aged people buying 50 toilet rolls than people in their 20's.

I don’t think it is a particular age group - it’s just about anyone, presumably mostly with kids so that they can sort-of justify it to themselves.  I say anyone, but the main age group excluded from that is older folk - they do rather need more assistance than they are getting. IMO the mistake of supermarkets was to make it the first hour of opening, far better shut at 10 or whenever, bring some held-back stock in (butterscotch, werthers and the like,lol) and reopen for them then.

One thing - is this the ‘blitz spirit’ we were promised if things got tough post-Brexit?! I can certainly see it being repeated next January....

Panic borrowing was in full swing at the library this morning, but I approve of that.  Never seen it so busy.  They're closing indefinitely from Saturday at 4pm, and are permitting x3 usual borrowing allowance with no overdue fines.  Too good to miss!

I'm looking forward to the council completing all their outstanding roadworks during the shutdown.  Of course they will - won't they??

Edited by benchwarmer

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Everyone I've seen panic buying or stockpiling has generally been 40+. Bit of a generalisation but I've seen far more middle-aged people buying 50 toilet rolls than people in their 20's.

Is that because all the people in their 20s are still in the pub spreading the virus ? Bit of a generalisation obviously 😉

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Seriously, why is the UK like this? The coronavirus problem in Italy is far worse but there are no shortages of anything in the supermarkets; the shelves are replenished just as they always are.

Probably because Italy is in lockdown and nobody is allowed out.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

What resolved the second 'contretemp' was my saying that I would take this to the newspapers - that a man was thrown out for standing up for the vunerable, the old and the NHS staff

(you have to lard it up a bit)

byt it needs folk to speak out

because there are those on low wages, those who don't have some 4x4 and space in their home to carry huge amounts of stuff back

There are those on shift work who do not have the time to queue up

Soufor those who  are offended by this then speak up. Complain to the supervisor/manager - quitely point out to the one grabbing the stuff

There are plenty who need people to speak up for them - one day it will be you who needs someone to speak up for you

I'm with you on this one, around here the nurses have all been moved into accomodation at the hospital (usually student digs) and because they are on shifts aren't able to actually buy any food at the shops and patients are emptying the horrifically overpriced vending machines...so my wife (Marie) is teaching the kids how to make cake so they can at least have a little treat.

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

I don’t think it is a particular age group - it’s just about anyone, presumably mostly with kids so that they can sort-of justify it to themselves.  I say anyone, but the main age group excluded from that is older folk - they do rather need more assistance than they are getting. IMO the mistake of supermarkets was to make it the first hour of opening, far better shut at 10 or whenever, bring some held-back stock in (butterscotch, werthers and the like,lol) and reopen for them then.

One thing - is this the ‘blitz spirit’ we were promised if things got tough post-Brexit?! I can certainly see it being repeated next January....

Sainsburys sent me an email at 2am on Thursday morning telling me they wanted the first hour on Thursday 19th for elderly and vulnerable people, and it wasn't clear if it was a one off thing or something they were doing daily. They should have opened an hour earlier, an hour outside advertised times, because it's too difficult to police.

Popped up to M&S Foodhall near Asda this lunchtime to find plenty of bread, milk and most fresh fish and meats plus a limited supply of fruit and veg. I understand M&S at Longwater was much the same picture according to another poster on here i rang up.

Hats off to you Fenway Frank, just keep up the good work. 😛

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Popped up to M&S Foodhall near Asda this lunchtime to find plenty of bread, milk and most fresh fish and meats plus a limited supply of fruit and veg. I understand M&S at Longwater was much the same picture according to another poster on here i rang up.

Hats off to you Fenway Frank, just keep up the good work. 😛

I won’t be doing any work for the next two weeks as Mrs Frank has got a “cold”. I believe  8-9am was for your age group too  😉

Edited by FenwayFrank

2 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Is that because all the people in their 20s are still in the pub spreading the virus ? Bit of a generalisation obviously 😉

What us miserable ****ers in our 30's?

It was obvious from day one selfish people were panic buying, and I feel the whole situation in regards to this continuing is due almost entirely down to the greed of the supermarkets themselves.

Christmas is a time when they make a huge profit. Generally nothing is reduced as they are very aware the great British public oes into panic mode as the shops are shut for a whole 24hrs!

It is therefore no surprise that when Christmas extra times five comes along that they allow unfettered access to stock on their shelves and continue to do so. They could have made an effort from the start to regulate the disgusting hording by many, but profit was their game and none of them took a stance UNTILL public pressure came into force. Even now only a few supermarkets are making a token gesture. What about the NHS staff, Police and other critical workers never mind the elderly?

Supermarkets need to hold their collective heads in shame.

And as far as relying on some sections of the great British public to be fair, responsible and community minded by thinking of others before hording? Not a chance!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Not very well informed are you? My son has been in italy up until monday just passed, in the north ,livorno,  to be exact, there is no problem going to the shops in italy, just as people are still going to work. What sensationalists call 'lockdown' is in fact restricted movement. All essential trips are fine, work , shopping, etc just no hanging around in pubs , cafes, etc. 

Dont believe the Hype!!! 

Please dont try to cover your mistake by saying you were Angling.  

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Not very well informed are you? My son has been in italy up until monday just passed, in the north ,livorno,  to be exact, there is no problem going to the shops in italy, just as people are still going to work. What sensationalists call 'lockdown' is in fact restricted movement. All essential trips are fine, work , shopping, etc just no hanging around in pubs , cafes, etc. 

Dont believe the Hype!!! 

Please dont try to cover your mistake by saying you were Angling.  

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/italy-charges-more-than-40000-people-violating-lockdown-coronavirus

4 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

We're allowed out to the supermarkets, for work and medical emergencies. We've been on lockdown for eleven days, and in that time I've been to the supermarket three times. There has been no issue whatsoever with the availability of any products.

3 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Like I said , it's a word used for dramatic effect, didnt have you down as a guardian reader  or are you just using it to 'prove' a point ? See Wackyos post above, being allowed to the shops is not lockdown.  There was an interview with a quite senior italian gentleman on TV the other day, he was out jogging, during the interview the cops drove past, didnt stop or arrest him.

Basically, what the UK government has been saying over the past week or so with regards to what people SHOULD be doing, such as not going out unless it's necessary, avoiding social engagements etc. is what Italy is doing, with the difference that in Italy you MUST do it. You're only allowed out to do grocery shopping, to work (as long as it is important enough) and for medical reasons.

In eleven days of quarantine, I've been in to work once (the rest of the time I've worked from home), the supermarket three times and the butcher's three times.

As Til's link pointed out, tens of thousands of fines have been given to people who were caught out and about without a valid reason, and the police are being pretty strict on this. I haven't been stopped personally but I know several people who have.