Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Remedy To Stop Panic Buying.

Get supermarkets to remove trolleys and make everyone  use a basket.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

When I nipped in Sainsburys at 4.15 there was hardly anything left to fill a basket😁

22 minutes ago, ricardo said:

When I nipped in Sainsburys at 4.15 there was hardly anything left to fill a basket😁

A friend of mine who lives in Grove Road and is over 70 thought he would get up early and walk to Sainsburys Queens Road for pensioner hour and he said the car park was full before 7am !

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

And you reckon Til’s Pervy ! 

Hahaha! Didnt even think how that looked

I have run out of toilet paper but i found a lettuce in the fridge so had to use a leaf. It was the tip of the iceberg.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Haha 1

Went to the local tesco at 6:15am today- it wasnt quite full on craziness but if you'd told me it was Saturday afternoon I wouldn't have been shocked, it was that full.

20 minutes ago, king canary said:

Went to the local tesco at 6:15am today- it wasnt quite full on craziness but if you'd told me it was Saturday afternoon I wouldn't have been shocked, it was that full.

Nothing at 8.30am waitrose this morning fresh meat wise...Or toilet roll wise, or most things wise...

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Nothing at 8.30am waitrose this morning fresh meat wise...Or toilet roll wise, or most things wise...

What was the avocado, Puy lentil and Kalamata olive status? 😂

Apples

• Haha 1

How big are peoples fridges and freezers? I saw a lady pushing a trolley that basically frozen chips. Where the hell was she going to put them? In our local Tesco you could buy Magnums or Aunt Bessies Yorkshire Puddings.

I went in to buy for neighbours but had to keep walking in and out with baskets as I couldn't find a trolley.

At least the local Co-op was accessible. With the school next door being shut, none of the Mammajammas were sat in their 4 wheel drives in the car park smoking their tabs and moaning about thin women.

I have been saying that people in this country will not wear being told what to do. No draconian measures will work. Perhaps that is why Boris is asking rather than telling. He knows what we are like.

22 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

How big are peoples fridges and freezers? I saw a lady pushing a trolley that basically frozen chips. Where the hell was she going to put them?

I work for a transport company that frequently delivers industrial catering equipment, and in the last week alone, the amount of chest freezers that have been getting delivered has gone through the roof, normally you might get 1 maybe 2 a day if you're lucky, yesterday I delivered ELEVEN of them and 85% of the 18-ton lorry was loaded with just them, totally bonkers.

I also spoke to a chap who sells them onto customers, and he normally orders about 30 per week, and this week alone he's had over 150 ordered - five times as many, to the point where normal retailers like Curry's etc, have run out...

So I can totally see where the lady mentioned may well be storing the chips, but the absolute madness leading to this sort of behaviour is ridiculous.

My wife went to Aldi just after 8am this morning, they've hired security guards because of the amount of abuse and attacks they've been getting, they've introduced a 2 item limit on everything, and still most of the shop was empty despite having had 1 delivery beforehand. She saw one woman trying to get round the limit with 2 item limit by having one of each different type of bread (brown bread, white bread, rolls, tiger bread etc) and another with 8 packs of flavoured water who when told she was limited to only 2 said "That doesn't count as they're different flavours"...

No fresh meat available, only 1 tin of new potatoes on the shelf,  only 1 packet of grapes and 1 bunch of bananas in the fruit section, the wine section totally decimated without a single bottle of ANYTHING available, just WTF are people thinking with this sort of behaviour???????

Seriously, why is the UK like this? The coronavirus problem in Italy is far worse but there are no shortages of anything in the supermarkets; the shelves are replenished just as they always are.

If everyone in England had just continued to buy as normal from the very start, this situation would never have happened. It seems incredible that some people decided to start bulk buying products without any need, including perishables that will likely be thrown away.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

It shows that what we are used to in this society is a very delicate balance of supply and demand - and the demand has temporarily exceeded demand.   What makes it worse is it being reported all the time making everyone think they have to go and buy stuff - but what it really needs is the reporting of shops getting new stock delivered and news of supply chains working so people realise they DON'T need to buy up everything in sight.   It needs everyone to calm down a bit and realise that there is enough for everyone - AS LONG AS THEY STOP bulk buying. 

There will always be some that will panic, but most of us are sensible enough to realise this is only temporary and as soon as people calm down a bit, there will be a bit more on the shelves - and then people like my sister who has a disabled partner and with no car can walk to the shop and buy the one loaf of bread she needs every day or two and other ongoing items that she can just about carry in two bags, rather than have the added stress of wondering if there is enough food in the house to feed her and her vulnerable partner!  And there will be many many people in her position, as opposed to the reams of selfish so and so's, filling up their big cars with trolley upon trolley load of stuff.  

If people don't calm down, it will require further restrictions on buying stuff - even ration cards maybe - and unlike the 2nd world war, the ration cards would be as a result of people's own stupidity rather than any real threat to food supplies.

18 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Seriously, why is the UK like this? The coronavirus problem in Italy is far worse but there are no shortages of anything in the supermarkets; the shelves are replenished just as they always are.

If everyone in England had just continued to buy as normal from the very start, this situation would never have happened. It seems incredible that some people decided to start bulk buying products without any need, including perishables that will likely be thrown away.

It kind of sticks a pin in all the talk about us plucky Brits and our blitz spirit- first hint of a crisis and it is all 'me me me' and generally driven by those who like to call younger generations selfish and self obsessed.

Our supermarkets are being very well monitored and stocked, after the initial pasta panickers and bog roll binge buyers. Plenty of everything. On commercial radio the supermarkets are paying to send out messages of plentiful supply and requesting  people to be considerate in their purchases. The stories coming out of uk should make the culprits hang their heads in shame . Disgraceful,  selfish behaviour. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, king canary said:

It kind of sticks a pin in all the talk about us plucky Brits and our blitz spirit- first hint of a crisis and it is all 'me me me' and generally driven by those who like to call younger generations selfish and self obsessed.

?  Don't follow that reasoning.  Can you explain?

Just now, lake district canary said:

?  Don't follow that reasoning.  Can you explain?

Everyone I've seen panic buying or stockpiling has generally been 40+. Bit of a generalisation but I've seen far more middle-aged people buying 50 toilet rolls than people in their 20's.

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

Everyone I've seen panic buying or stockpiling has generally been 40+. Bit of a generalisation but I've seen far more middle-aged people buying 50 toilet rolls than people in their 20's.

They most likely have a family, probably some 20 year olds 😉

However the 'over buying is being done by those who cann ie spare money and the time

For all the ta;lk the supermarkets are doing very little

Three times now I have kicked of and each time the person either walked out or were asked to replace the items

First one was last week with 60 bog rolls. Monday 5 big size washing powder boxes and this morning some c*** with a whole trolley full of veg.

It got a bit 'tasty' with the security saying I would have to leave etc - but eventually the c*** left the trolley and left as I was pointing him out tp others with the words "I hope no one else has taken more than they need - if so you should be ashamed etc "

Yep. I appreciate I can physically do this but those who can should be prepared to speak up on behalf of those who can't

and yes the majority are old coughin; dodgers'

Been to Lidl in North Walsham this morning. Store quite quiet for a Friday and they had pretty much of everything we wanted.

They are limiting people to 4 of the same item which is a bit bizaar because I could buy 48 bottles (4 packs) of beer but they only let me have 4 bottles of wine.

That wasn't because it's in short supply as they had about 80 cases of the same sort stacked up just inside the door.

So that's another trip this afternoon for another 4.

So much for self isolating.

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

They most likely have a family, probably some 20 year olds 😉

However the 'over buying is being done by those who cann ie spare money and the time

For all the ta;lk the supermarkets are doing very little

Three times now I have kicked of and each time the person either walked out or were asked to replace the items

First one was last week with 60 bog rolls. Monday 5 big size washing powder boxes and this morning some c*** with a whole trolley full of veg.

It got a bit 'tasty' with the security saying I would have to leave etc - but eventually the c*** left the trolley and left as I was pointing him out tp others with the words "I hope no one else has taken more than they need - if so you should be ashamed etc "

Yep. I appreciate I can physically do this but those who can should be prepared to speak up on behalf of those who can't

and yes the majority are old coughin; dodgers'

Good work  Billo.👍

The tragedy is that in a couple of weeks a lot of this stuff bought because of panic buying will be chucked in the bin unopened because it's gone out of date.

• Like 1

The tragedy is that in a couple of weeks a lot of this stuff bought because of panic buying will be chucked in the bin unopened because it's gone out of date.

And when they stop recycling before stopping rubbish collection, there will be a lot of boxes, cartons etc going in the rubbish.

Did Mr and Mrs Wynn Jones look embarrassed?:classic_rolleyes:

What resolved the second 'contretemp' was my saying that I would take this to the newspapers - that a man was thrown out for standing up for the vunerable, the old and the NHS staff

(you have to lard it up a bit)

byt it needs folk to speak out

because there are those on low wages, those who don't have some 4x4 and space in their home to carry huge amounts of stuff back

There are those on shift work who do not have the time to queue up

Soufor those who  are offended by this then speak up. Complain to the supervisor/manager - quitely point out to the one grabbing the stuff

There are plenty who need people to speak up for them - one day it will be you who needs someone to speak up for you

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Did Mr and Mrs Wynn Jones look embarrassed?:classic_rolleyes:

no, but the nephew pushing the trolley did

I head Delia tell Michael that they should led him have a push to get used to it

ps I think it was young master Webber behind them occasionally whispering in their ear

Edited by Bill