Sign in to follow this  
pete

EPL meeting today

13 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Does anyone still think the season is going to be completed by june 30th?

Does anye think the intent is to finish the season by then ?

9 minutes ago, Bill said:

UEFA

6 minutes ago, ricardo said:

UEFA

Have they said anything about not wanting the PL finished by 30th June ?

16 minutes ago, Bill said:

UEFA has ruled 30 June due to players contracts. The FA didn't have its hearing aid in

4 hours ago, Van wink said:

Of course all the carp about the season being played out behind closed doors is total bollards, it will be abandoned and City will be in the EPL again next season, whenever that begins.

Yesterday Bill Hill were offering 11/2 that it's abandoned and 1/10 it's completed.

The outsider in a two horse race wins more often than you might think so lump on

11 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Yesterday Bill Hill were offering 11/2 that it's abandoned and 1/10 it's completed.

The outsider in a two horse race wins more often than you might think so lump on

oops

I will lump on

how do you    tackle       with  a       2 m         separation

Edited by Van wink

3 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

It is not about what will happen, it is at this stage a case of what is the intent

and that is something that will have an effect on the former

as to contracts there is talk about extending contracts to beyond 30th June...which rather suggests what the intent is

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I think its an outsider of three....especially if its a grey

22 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Not exactly correct as it is about being abandoned, or not

So it might be abandoned ie no more games

but the current positions will stand as the final results

32 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I have never believed it will be completed and still don't.

Best get down the bookies - a win on the season being abandoned  could easily pay for next season’s season ticket!

They’ll try to complete somehow even if they have wait and wait, however pointless that may be.  But there surely has to be a cut off before completely ruining next season as well as this...all for what.

Neither the Uefa nor the PL/EFL/FA statements this week commits anybody to anything. Not to restarting the season and finishing by June 30, or to voiding the season or taking it as final as it is and acting accordingly if it cannot be finished by then, or to completing the season no matter what and how long that takes.

But reading and listening to supposed analyses of the position in the national media there are some points that seem not to be understood (even though they have been here). You would be surprised how often. Discussion focuses on the PL as if either it exists in a self-contained universe or is all-powerful and whatever it decides will force everyone else worldwide into line.

1) One is that any move to allow clubs to extend contracts beyond June 30 misses a crucial point or two. That clubs, particularly in major continental leagues, that have loaned players to PL (and Championship clubs) would presumably have the right to demand them back. Equally those players whose contracts run out on June 30 would also presumably have the right to refuse to carry on with a club they no longer wanted to work for. So clubs could argue that thry were were being unfairly penalised in their efforts to avoid relegation by having lost key players.

2) The Championship and indeed the rest of the pyramid never seem to get mentioned, but there is limited point in playing the PL to a close unless the other divisions do the same, to enable promotion and relegation. If the PL has to be finished so clubs can justifiably be relegated then their replacements have to be equally justifiably promoted, and so on down the pyramid.

3) The solutions that include playing matches behind closed doors miss what should be the obvious point – that whether there are spectators there is a subsidiary factor to whether clubs have to go into lockdown halfway through the restarted season. The moment that happens the ‘solution’ disappears.

4) It is hard to see how finishing the English season sometine well into in the summer, which is at least what we are looking at, as opposed to by June 30, can possibly work unless at least all the other four major continental leagues follow suit, because of problems with contracts and transfer windows, but this is another stumbling block that is rarely mentioned.

A fifth point is that any serious delay to finishing the season, such as going well into the summer, will threaten the ability of clubs in Leagues One and Two and perhaps even in the Championship to stay in business. If clubs cannot carrying on playing to complete all their matches for that reason then the league tables will be rendered nonsensical.

Edited by PurpleCanary

Doesn't look good for restarters and completers there then.

What can't  happen, won't happen.

What the PL really think will ultimately happen and what they know that they have to be seen as doing, which is everything they possibly can to complete the season, are two different things.

Edited by norfolkbroadslim

I think the EPL would try and do their own thing if enough pressure from the clubs in any direction is evident.The clubs at the CL end would need two thirds support. And that would come from every club in the bottom six who feared the worst. And quid pro quo, those top clubs would support the bottom six in their quest to stay up.

I can honestly see, depending on the length of time this virus hangs around, a declaring of null and void with positions as they are as qualification for UEFA competitions.

I've come full circle on this now (not to say I might not use all my now spare thinking time to change my mind again). Voiding only makes sense if it enables the 2020/2021 season to start with enough time to complete and that requires the virus to be in a state to enable us to get out of lock down by August. Anyone think that likely?

The season could be voided and yet the 2020/2021 season might still might need to be heavily truncated to close before the Euros. Nothing would have been gained. Say we remained in lock down until January and mothballed the current campaign, we would then have a ready made cut down season to run through to May, with the added bonus of enough time to reschedule the Nations Cup & postponed World Cup qualifiers.

Relatively easy to organise, no legal challenges and the integrity of competition remains. The down side, of course, is that the Prem loses an entire season of TV money. But money is the problem with all the solutions. With player wages protected and zero income for the foreseeable future some clubs are in real problems.

1 hour ago, BigFish said:

I've come full circle on this now (not to say I might not use all my now spare thinking time to change my mind again). Voiding only makes sense if it enables the 2020/2021 season to start with enough time to complete and that requires the virus to be in a state to enable us to get out of lock down by August. Anyone think that likely?

The season could be voided and yet the 2020/2021 season might still might need to be heavily truncated to close before the Euros. Nothing would have been gained. Say we remained in lock down until January and mothballed the current campaign, we would then have a ready made cut down season to run through to May, with the added bonus of enough time to reschedule the Nations Cup & postponed World Cup qualifiers.

Relatively easy to organise, no legal challenges and the integrity of competition remains. The down side, of course, is that the Prem loses an entire season of TV money. But money is the problem with all the solutions. With player wages protected and zero income for the foreseeable future some clubs are in real problems.

That thought had crossed my mind but in truth the problems escalate the longer you leave it and then corrupts any eventual following season. Players contracts, no TV monies (will all the PL let alone EFL clubs remain solvent or viable) and so on. 

If it can't be completed by end of June 2020 (just in case you thought I meant 2021) then it has to be canned as null and void. Yes there will be some contractual issues with Sky etc but it is the only answer. Tough in a way on everybody but all the other solutions strike me as wholly impractical 'fantasy' football solutions by those who have done too much heading! 

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1

Th  e PL doesn't believe the season can be completed by June 30th but cannot state this specifically.  As to state this will cause major issues with EFL/FA.  PL must at least make attempts to begin Season 20/21 at the soonest opportunity for it to meet its contractual obligations to its customer i.e. broadcasters around the globe who pay the figures that allow the PL as lucrative as it is.  Sky and BT making noises about being compensated for losing 1/4 of Season 19/20.  PL apparently asking current PL clubs to contribute to meet its financial liabilities.

Start behind closed doors maybe for entire season to complete in time for Euro 21.  Expect announcement by end Apr that season cancelled.