Sign in to follow this  
pete

EPL meeting today

5 hours ago, BigFish said:

Agreed, "the football community" is not covering itself in glory at the moment

Agreed. 

6 hours ago, pete said:

Hopefully we shall get more clarity today.  Clarity is the new watchword schools want clarity I would have thought cancelled for the foreseeable future except for certain exempt pupils was pretty clear.

I'd be very interested to see exactly how "clear" you felt it was if you'd been dealing with 150 upset Year 11s all day, panic stricken as they knew there would not be exams but no idea on how they will receive grades as the government didn't tell them.

Or if you had been dealing with enquiries from 700 parents all at once, whilst trying to sort out the year 11s, who were wanting to know if their job was exempt, but you weren't able to tell them because the list of who is and is not exempt has still not been published by our glorious leader.

Or if you were trying to arrange staffing for Monday and the start of skeleton schooling without any kind of idea about the pupil numbers involved, or what you were meant to be doing with the kids who do come in - is it education or is it childcare?

Maybe better not to comment on things you clearly know **** all about, although I grant you that doing so would leave you with very little to say about anything.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BigFish said:

Possibly, but what do you then do with a shortened 2020/2021 season that already contains the UEFA Nations League, the delayed 2020 Euros and the World Cup qualifiers?

Too much football, some will need scrapping

Yes, you might be right - something has to give somewhere. 

All that has been done is the can has been kicked further down the street. I am with ricardo on this.

• Like 2

This article suggests how some time could be caught up next season. Some are quite sensible - scrap mid season break; no cup replays; "rest" the EFL cup - others are more extreme - e.g. a temporary restructuring of PL - which I think looks a bit questionable.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/premier-league-postponed-delay-next-season-champions-league-fewer-games-knockout-liverpool-man-city-man-utd-chelsea-spurs-tottenham-arsenal

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

This article suggests how some time could be caught up next season. Some are quite sensible - scrap mid season break; no cup replays; "rest" the EFL cup - others are more extreme - e.g. a temporary restructuring of PL - which I think looks a bit questionable.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/premier-league-postponed-delay-next-season-champions-league-fewer-games-knockout-liverpool-man-city-man-utd-chelsea-spurs-tottenham-arsenal

The bit I liked was " member clubs accepting their positions at the point of suspension to avoid legal action".

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Where do they find these idiots?

9 minutes ago, ricardo said:

The bit I liked was " member clubs accepting their positions at the point of suspension to avoid legal action".

To be fair, he was making the point about the future that there ought to be some sort of contingency written in so that if it happens again - and he does preface it with "perhaps" - but I take your point!

23 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Now we know why the EPL broke away. Unbelievable isn't it! 

4 hours ago, ricardo said:

Its not, its just playing for time.

Which they will find that they don't have.

Fingers crossed your right😄

Pl clubs were told today that they would have to pay back £762 million if this season can’t be finished, some believe it could put them out of business and there is a very clear need to complete this season. Others believe that players won’t play if their health or those around them are at risk

Edited by JF

If the PL clubs have already received the £792 million they should tell Sky to go pound sand. And let them claim the money back from their insurance company. Or put 11 players in each half of the pitch and have one of them kick the ball around between them for 45 minutes while the other jogs laps, and then switch around at half time. 

There, contract fulfilled. 

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1

Its pretty typical all in all...here we have the biggest virus  threat to a nations and globes health for over a century and yet the football associations and clubs cannot make the only possible outcome left until  the very last minute when  the sands of time run out. Im sure by now  a majority of actual fans who go to pay and watch their clubs..even the Liverpool and Leeds types..can see and have accepted that the season is done. What do they do in 2 or 3 weeks time...push it back to mid May?..its just dumb.

1 hour ago, JF said:

Pl clubs were told today that they would have to pay back £762 million if this season can’t be finished, some believe it could put the out of business and there is a very clear need to complete this season. Others believe that players won’t play if their health or those around them are at risk

That works out at less than £39 million each, and much less than the cost of relegation. So painful but not fatal.

Money will talk, so all you have to do is follow the highest values. The PL clubs will happily see internationals, the Carabou and even the FA Cup scrapped before they suffer. UEFA will attempt to protect the Champions League & Euros. Everything else can go hang, this could be the end of the pyramid/relegation/promotion etc.

1 hour ago, JF said:

Pl clubs were told today that they would have to pay back £762 million if this season can’t be finished, some believe it could put the out of business and there is a very clear need to complete this season. Others believe that players won’t play if their health or those around them are at risk

If this is true this will influence their decision making, sadly football sold its soul to the money men and women long ago and as big fish says the PL will look after number one above the integrity of the football world. 

• Like 1

Rather than pay back, maybe deduct the money from the next seasons payments.  If the season is scrapped. 

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 1

Nope, because that would roll over to the next accounting period. The money men want the contract fulfilled or a refund of monies sent out already ( I wonder if those payments have been made yet) Everything cleared within this season. End of story. 

Edited by Surfer

4 hours ago, JF said:

Pl clubs were told today that they would have to pay back £762 million if this season can’t be finished ...

BTW where does that math come from? P762M / 20 teams is P38M each. With 9 games not yet played out of 38 that is 24% of the season so they are “valuing” each teams season payout at P156M - it’s not anywhere close to that is it? 

5 hours ago, Surfer said:

BTW where does that math come from? P762M / 20 teams is P38M each. With 9 games not yet played out of 38 that is 24% of the season so they are “valuing” each teams season payout at P156M - it’s not anywhere close to that is it? 

Article in the athletic 

I've just read the statement from the FA following yesterday's meeting. I know football isn't important in the general scheme of things but it is probably the most important of all the unimportant things. If that makes sense. 

Surely we deserve better than this? A vague statement that we will finish the season at some point. There is no suggestion as to how this is going to be achieved. There also appears to have been no input from the players union. I don't care how much they are paid, their health and that of their families is the most important thing at the moment. 

47 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Surely we deserve better than this? A vague statement that we will finish the season at some point. There is no suggestion as to how this is going to be achieved. There also appears to have been no input from the players union. I don't care how much they are paid, their health and that of their families is the most important thing at the moment.

It's  going to be vague by the nature that everyting is 'vague'.

Can any of us know how this will be in 6n weeks time, and I suspect the players union don't want to be caught speculating with words that may well backfire, or be used in a legal matter.

It does appear to be that the intent is to finish the season. For the reasons I have said previously. There's too much money at stake.

Clubs will have fully committed what was due/expected.This is what did for the paupers. Racking up payments that could not then be met. Whether this turns out to be the straw that broke the bubble on the camels back (so to speak) we shall have to see.

But it maybe the long over due financial 'correction'.

They are certainly setting themselves up to look incredibly crass the way they are planning to try and get these matches on. We’re in a situation here where retired medics are being asked to come out of retirement to try and fight this. I can’t see any way any medics will be allowed to attend sporting events in these circumstances. They is no way any matches take place until this is over

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the PL clubs have already received the £792 million they should tell Sky to go pound sand. And let them claim the money back from their insurance company. Or put 11 players in each half of the pitch and have one of them kick the ball around between them for 45 minutes while the other jogs laps, and then switch around at half time. 

Sorry Surfer can't agree with that. Football has continued on its journey of excess for too long. If this brings its to its senses and the reset button is pressed I am all for it. Football will continue eventually and the staff at grounds will be needed. But if the players have to be confronted with new contracts then I can't wait.

And don't forget, SKY has employees who have to be paid. What if advertisers stop because there is no point? Surely we won't have to put up with just the BBC?

53 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Sorry Surfer can't agree with that. Football has continued on its journey of excess for too long. If this brings its to its senses and the reset button is pressed I am all for it. Football will continue eventually and the staff at grounds will be needed. But if the players have to be confronted with new contracts then I can't wait.

And don't forget, SKY has employees who have to be paid. What if advertisers stop because there is no point? Surely we won't have to put up with just the BBC?

It would nice be see the highly paid stars volunteering a pay reduction to help out.

Not holding my breath though.

• Like 1

SAGE - advice.

Social distancing for a year. Government advisory body!

That surely cans all the leagues - and may well spell the collapse of many a club in ALL leagues!

SAGE advice

it works well to make stuffing...............if you have the thyme

err.......Basil (or Rosemary)

ps it is Herbs you farkin witless yanks

Herbs with an H

as in your president Herbert Hoover, or Herbie Hancock

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Bill said:

SAGE advice

it works well to make stuffing...............if you have the thyme

err.......Basil (or Rosemary)

ps it is Herbs you farkin witless yanks

Herbs with an H

as in your president Herbert Hoover, or Herbie Hancock

Are you absolutely sure it's not haitch? 

Social distancing, about the only benefit of our zonal marking system.

Of course all the carp about the season being played out behind closed doors is total bollards, it will be abandoned and City will be in the EPL again next season, whenever that begins.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Strangely the much maligned BBC, that deserved to be shut down not long ago, now we see public broadcasting employees as being vital, strange how our values are becoming refocussed on the important things.

apologies if the following article from BBC Wales website has already been posted. 

The Welsh Rugby Union has cancelled all league and cup competitions for the rest of the season due to coronavirus.

The cancellation means there will be no promotion or relegation in any WRU league, with all teams remaining in their current division.

IMO the least bad and least complicated of all possible options. No procrastination. No confusion. Decision made.

• Thanks 1

Reviewing the situation every so often seems sensible to me, given how unpredictable the circumstances are.  I wish the government would do the same over the shutdown.  People I've spoken to find the vague open-ended nature of it most unsettling.