Sign in to follow this  
pete

EPL meeting today

Hopefully we shall get more clarity today.  Clarity is the new watchword schools want clarity I would have thought cancelled for the foreseeable future except for certain exempt pupils was pretty clear.

Every player of every generation screams the season must be completed even if it takes until the end of the year.  Liverpool former players most vocal inter alia Fowler, Aldridge, Thompson and Barnes reiterating this daily on SSN.  Cannot see this likely as this will disrupt the timetable for seasons to come and Euro 2021, Olympics and World Cups will need to be played.  Also PL will want to schedule next season to commence as normally as possible in Aug however unlikely, but failure to adhere as normal puts the commercial interest of PL customers i.e. foreign broadcasters who show the PL worldwide.  PL is more of a commercial venture whereas the football although important to its business may take a backseat and be of secondary importance to any outcome  today.

However don't expect any resolution today but down the line.  But expect this season to be cancelled sometime before the end of May and 20/21 to resume in Aug to comply with the  PL's contractual obligations.  This may be the result but initial games behind closed doors to commence on time however unpalatable.  The season will be held with 20 teams I am sure it is provided in PL rule book 38 game season with 20 clubs to change to 22 clubs may need agreement of current membership.

This scenario may be wildly off the mark driven by a desire to see Liverpool miss out on the title however deserved and Leeds staying firmly in their place.  But it is logical more logical than seeing the season being extended until an uncertain date later in 2020 or 2021.

Is the PL a voracious self interested organisation certainly it is.

The EFL will endorse UEFA's view that all games must be completed by 30th June.

Then it is merely a question of setting indicators which must be complied with before games can be played, either behind closed doors, or with public admission.

If those indicators are met, then games can recommence. Things like 'no positive testing within the immediate group for 14 days' and '90% of the playing squad 21 days clear of infection' (to allow a return to match fitness).

All of it will be subject to government advice on, for example, public assembly. I can't see how you can stage a televised game without an assembly of well over 50 people - players, support staff, medical staff, cameramen and technical staff.

This at least will give the clubs clarity. Even if these things can be achieved, it would only be prudent to test every attendee on arrival at the stadium to filter out and carriers. It's just about possible to satisfy requirements such as these, but realistically I can't see any games being played by 30th June.

Ultimately, even if the virus blows over in a matter of months the authorities will have a choice between voiding this season or cancelling/drastically restructuring next season. This season the draw for the Prelimery Round of the Champions League was 11th June, with the first games on the 18th June. Even if football restarted 4 April those dates look unachievable and no one thinks it possible anyway. Season 2020/2021 now has the Euros at the end, the lamentable Nations Cup and the start of World Cup qualification and some people think it is a good idea to add an extra 4 rounds of Premier League matches is a good idea!! Players contracts expire on the 30th June, and the transfer window opens on the 1st July, loans expire. There is simply too much football to fit in between when the season restarts and the 2022 World Cup. What would you be prepared to give up?

The easy thing would be to scrap the domestic cup competitions next season if necessary. But that has financial implications for smaller clubs. 

Top of the agenda today should be what the EPL is going to do for the EFL. But I'd be surprised if it was even on the agenda 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Its about the money.

Not a good look as casualties mount.

Agreed, "the football community" is not covering itself in glory at the moment

Whatever happens - if they try to 'relegate' clubs in any league with an incomplete season then I would expect court injunctions to be issued to stop any such new season starting without them. I will let you guess the 'delays' to sort that out! Perhaps by the 2021/22 season.

That's real problem with any 'arbitrary' solution.

Null and Void. Simplest & cleanest.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Null and Void. Simplest & cleanest.

Cancelling now, all football until September to allow the space to resolve the fall-out

So...postponed til end of April. 

Very predictable.

Edited by sonyc

Hahahaha

Long grass plus self delusion.

Edited by ricardo

It is the latest possible date they could have chosen that would allow all the relevant matches to be played in a vaguely normal fashion by the end of June assuming (which I don't and I doubt they do) it is possible to start playing again at the beginning of May.

10 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It is the latest possible date they could have chosen that would allow all the relevant matches to be played in a vaguely normal fashion by the end of June assuming (which I don't and I doubt they do) it is possible to start playing again at the beginning of May.

Give everyone time for the truth to become self evident

I know nothing about this but what would be the difference financially for clubs in the following situations

Restart this season in August, therefore not having any loss to finances this season (in terms of sky money)but ultimately causing next season to be delayed (and thus next season's tv money payouts etc)

Accepting the loss of any remaining TV money for this season but being able to start the 20/21 season on time.

I appreciate some seem to think we could be playing in may etc and possibly behind close doors but I don't think that would help much? Would people really be that interested in renewing sky subscriptions / watching those matches? They seem awful to me from what I've seen so far. 

The other issue is if we do restart this season but not until August - are we going to effectively need a pre season just to be finding ourselves needing another a couple of months later? Won't requiring just a single restart (albeit for a new season) be the lesser headache? - especially a month or two down the road when this season is beginning to disappear into the background, would more be welcoming of a fresh start ?

25 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Give everyone time for the truth to become self evident

I used to believe in self-evident truths until Trump became president...

What is self evident here is that the Football Association are a bunch of aged morons. Which is why the Premier League broke away in the first place. 

They have not provided any explanation as to what happens to our clubs with European football if they take this attitude. They are old and stupid. 

Oh dear

What do we all think? Is today’s outcome a dent in the possibility of this Season being called ‘null and void’ with extending the season ‘indefinitely’? Or is it simply an attempt by the PL to hang on until the last possible moment before declaring it? 

6 minutes ago, Mutley said:

What do we all think? Is today’s outcome a dent in the possibility of this Season being called ‘null and void’ with extending the season ‘indefinitely’? Or is it simply an attempt by the PL to hang on until the last possible moment before declaring it? 

There is a big difference between the FA and the EPL. The EPL is run by some very business aware people. The FA isn't 

3 minutes ago, Mutley said:

Playing for time but the hole below the waterline is taking in more water than can be pumped out.

How would a resumption look when casualties are in the hundreds daily?

4 minutes ago, ricardo said:

How would a resumption look when casualties are in the hundreds daily?

It does seem rather strange when they are talking about schools no re-opening until September! I still think that there might be a case for resuming the 19-20 season in the Autumn rather than voiding it.

Just now, Badger said:

It does seem rather strange when they are talking about schools no re-opening until September! I still think that there might be a case for resuming the 19-20 season in the Autumn rather than voiding it.

Possibly, but what do you then do with a shortened 2020/2021 season that already contains the UEFA Nations League, the delayed 2020 Euros and the World Cup qualifiers?

Too much football, some will need scrapping

Here's the general problem I have with pushing 2019-2020 into summer ... now you've got 2 seasons that are f*cked up instead of one!

Even if everything could be sorted out by, say, July it still interferes with contracts, friendlies, pre-season training, transfer windows, etc. Everything has to be sorted. Raise your hand if you feel confident in the FA/PL/EFL to sort all that out in a suitable and timely fashion ... 😂

1 minute ago, Canary dwarf said:

Could well be bad news for us it seems there desperate for the season to be played out ,null and void looking less likely.😭

Its not, its just playing for time.

Which they will find that they don't have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's all about the money.......plus give the scousers the title, relegate 'ickle Nodge' an' ensure that the moighty leedz get back to where they roightly belong.....

.....Pah......

18 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

It's all about the money.......plus give the scousers the title, relegate 'ickle Nodge' an' ensure that the moighty leedz get back to where they roightly belong.....

.....Pah......

Yep, that has been my worry plus some resigned expectation I have to admit.

Yet common sense indicates the situation could well get a good deal more serious and football becomes a mere irrelevance in the wider context.