Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Eddie Howe - wise words

Recommended Posts

Asked about the EPL meeting today he said it would be preferable to finish the season but said it would be stupid to promise something that may not be delivered. Just wait and see. 

It's nice to think we will be in a position to play 9 football matches before the end of June but.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Asked about the EPL meeting today he said it would be preferable to finish the season but said it would be stupid to promise something that may not be delivered. Just wait and see. 

It's nice to think we will be in a position to play 9 football matches before the end of June but.... 

It's more that that. You would have to allow for 12 championship games before the end of June so the play-offs could be fitted in, and so on down the pyramid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It's more that that. You would have to allow for 12 championship games before the end of June so the play-offs could be fitted in, and so on down the pyramid.

I hadn't thought of that. It's just not feasible is it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It's more that that. You would have to allow for 12 championship games before the end of June so the play-offs could be fitted in, and so on down the pyramid.

Quote

 

Which is still do-able if games have started by May. Much later than the start (maybe middle) of May and, as you allude to, it doesn’t work. I don’t think we’ll see any concrete decision made until around that time though as everyone sits tight and waits to see what will happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Which is still do-able if games have started by May. Much later than the start (maybe middle) of May and, as you allude to, it doesn’t work. I don’t think we’ll see any concrete decision made until around that time though as everyone sits tight and waits to see what will happen.

Indeed Aggy. I would be surprised if there is a definite decision today. But there have been a couple of slight straws in the wind suggesting at least some clubs in the PL, despite the bullish 'we must play the season to an end' talk, realise that if it isn't finished by June 30 it never will be.

The Mail has a line today to that effect, and David Conn in The Guardian said that although Karren Brady's argument that you would have to void the season and start as if it had never happened was widely mocked, it got quiet nods of agreement from some clubs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Screenshot_20200319-080853_Chrome.thumb.jpg.da30189afb7e0d011a9ab25b82bb2758.jpg

This is what happened in China. They had no new cases yesterday. The timescale is misleading for us as China took draconian measures at a very early stage. Our government has taken a different approach to flatten the curve and stretch out the infection. 

I can't stand Karen Brady but on this occasion the statistics appear to support her view. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

You would have to allow for 12 championship games before the end of June so the play-offs could be fitted in, and so on down the pyramid.

They could cancel the play offs and just go with top 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

They could cancel the play offs and just go with top 3

But that, like all the other supposed solutions, would almost certainly attract a legal challenge, because it is ending the season artificially. The only way I can see this being resolved without legal problems is if at least the top four divisions play their seasons to a natural preordained halt, with promotion and relegation and play-offs, by June 30, with the games taking place under circumstances roughly equivalent to those under which the matches so far have been played. Whether that would allow for closed-door games is a question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Re. fall in cases in China.  We assume it was all down to the measures they took, but that may be only part of the story.  Predictions about the behaviour of this virus are based on previous ones, which again may be only part of the story.  No one really knows what will happen this time.  Don't let them persuade you otherwise.

Edited by benchwarmer
spelling mistake
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aggy said:

Which is still do-able if games have started by May. Much later than the start (maybe middle) of May and, as you allude to, it doesn’t work. I don’t think we’ll see any concrete decision made until around that time though as everyone sits tight and waits to see what will happen.

As long as the emergency services agree to fulfil all that in such a short space of time, regardless of whether there are fans there or not, police and ambulance services will be required

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

As long as the emergency services agree to fulfil all that in such a short space of time, regardless of whether there are fans there or not, police and ambulance services will be required

True - but the championship plays two games a week and, if it is behind closed doors or (as mentioned on another thread yesterday) possibly at a neutral ground, then the number of emergency services would not need to be quite so high. My personal thoughts are that the season will ultimately be scrapped, but I don’t think we’ll get that decision until we know for certain we can’t get the games done before end of June.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'd hope at the meeting today the EPL will come up with a number of scenarios based on when play can resume.  It would be silly to place all their eggs in one basket to complete everything by June 30th since as others have said if the situation hasn't changed come 1st May, there's no realistic way to finish the season in that amount of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't get past the fact that everyone else is being flexible with postponing things indefinitely and football should be no different. In the current situation, trying to pin down dates is impossible, so there should be no time scale put on it - simply play the games when it able to do so - be it July, August or later.  If contracts are an issue it is always possible to make alterations to contracts. 

It just needs someone to take the initiative to do the simple thing - play the games when able and delay the start of next season accordingly, even if it means compressing next season into a lot less weeks with more midweek games etc. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I can't get past the fact that everyone else is being flexible with postponing things indefinitely and football should be no different. In the current situation, trying to pin down dates is impossible, so there should be no time scale put on it - simply play the games when it able to do so - be it July, August or later.  If contracts are an issue it is always possible to make alterations to contracts. 

It just needs someone to take the initiative to do the simple thing - play the games when able and delay the start of next season accordingly, even if it means compressing next season into a lot less weeks with more midweek games etc. 

 

Events are rapidly overtaking this solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Matt Juler said:

You'd hope at the meeting today the EPL will come up with a number of scenarios based on when play can resume.  It would be silly to place all their eggs in one basket to complete everything by June 30th since as others have said if the situation hasn't changed come 1st May, there's no realistic way to finish the season in that amount of time.

Even before then.

We have nine league games (ten for some), three FA Cup rounds, plus five Champions League games for those who could potentially reach the final. That's 17 games, and you'd need nine or ten weeks to play them, plus a small pre-season. Matches would have to resum by this time next month to fit everything in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is only to be expected that so many are saying they hope the season is finished. No-one is going to say they want it null and void.

Phil Thompson, obviously touting for Liverpool, says this season has started so we should finish it even if we disrupt next season. That is ludicrous. We don't know anything about next season yet. It seems sensible to say finish it now. Next season may well have to be shortened to half a season, who knows.

I expect the EPL and EFL to say little other than they will wait and see. 

We all want to get back to normal but we must not rush anything. If we bodge this one we could be suffering for years to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

 

I expect the EPL and EFL to say little other than they will wait and see. 

We all want to get back to normal but we must not rush anything. If we bodge this one we could be suffering for years to come.

When you are unable to take a difficult decision there is always the long grass.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aggy said:

True - but the championship plays two games a week and, if it is behind closed doors or (as mentioned on another thread yesterday) possibly at a neutral ground, then the number of emergency services would not need to be quite so high. My personal thoughts are that the season will ultimately be scrapped, but I don’t think we’ll get that decision until we know for certain we can’t get the games done before end of June.

I’d be very surprised if they did!  They seem so keen on getting it done, just to save money!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Phil Thompson, obviously touting for Liverpool, says this season has started so we should finish it even if we disrupt next season. That is ludicrous. We don't know anything about next season yet. It seems sensible to say finish it now. Next season may well have to be shortened to half a season, who knows.

I expect the EPL and EFL to say little other than they will wait and see. 

We all want to get back to normal but we must not rush anything. If we bodge this one we could be suffering for years to come.

The wait and see option is the only one available. Just put the season on hold until things can start up again, then get on with it and deal with next season as and when it might be able to happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wait and see option is the only one available. Just put the season on hold until things can start up again, then get on with it and deal with next season as and when it might be able to happen. 

There is a clear option to null and void. But they are like others. They dare not make a decision in case they upset someone. Tough. It is a crisis not a TV drama. Show leadership. If if some decisions might be wrong, nobody wants indecision.

I know it will end up in the courts. And I think maybe even the Government will have to say, back off. Economies are likely to be in crisis as well and we do not need football clubs, known for their excesses economically, clogging up courts or making protests. No-one wanted this darn virus but it is here and causing chaos. We need to bring some calm to proceedings when we can and bleddy football clubs and their prima donna views and attitudes need to learn a harsh lesson. With economies in disarray we cannot have them crying they are losing out on TV if not promoted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The wait and see option is the only one available. Just put the season on hold until things can start up again, then get on with it and deal with next season as and when it might be able to happen. 

But you can't really do that though in real practical terms as for one thing it leaves all the clubs totally up in the air and unable to plan their revenues. We are in the position where we're probably unlikely to see professional football in this country for another year. Italy is a disaster zone they months and months away from being Covid 19 free, and we can't even guess how London will be affected. Close the season now and let the clubs decide how best to run their business. Some clubs won't even be in existence come the restart let alone being able to pick up where they are now and finish a season. Football is dead for the time being and will resurrect itself when the right time comes.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are living through a world changing event. People who think in a few short months everything will be back to where it was are totally deluded. Everyone has a large adjustment to their lives coming swiftly down the track. Football and thr PL in particular are not excluded and will have to make do with much thinner fare whenever the resumption happens. That resumption is a lot more distant than most of us realise.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

The wait and see option is the only one available. Just put the season on hold until things can start up again, then get on with it and deal with next season as and when it might be able to happen. 

There is a clear option to null and void. But they are like others. They dare not make a decision in case they upset someone. Tough. It is a crisis not a TV drama. Show leadership. If if some decisions might be wrong, nobody wants indecision.

I know it will end up in the courts. And I think maybe even the Government will have to say, back off. Economies are likely to be in crisis as well and we do not need football clubs, known for their excesses economically, clogging up courts or making protests. No-one wanted this darn virus but it is here and causing chaos. We need to bring some calm to proceedings when we can and bleddy football clubs and their prima donna views and attitudes need to learn a harsh lesson. With economies in disarray we cannot have them crying they are losing out on TV if not promoted.

Realistically they are not going to void the season until it is physically impossible to finish it. My thinking is that there may be some other timescales put on things today, but realistically, if we're not back playing games by the second week of May (and there will obviously be some logistical issues with regards to this as well) I cannot see what realistic alternatives there are.

I suspect that as we get closer to the end of April there will be many more who come to the conclusion that there's only one real option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately many on here seem to think that it is a case of resolving this 'fairly'...it is not

There are huge sums of money involved, much of which are dependent upon certain events being resolved. I doubt sky, BT etc give a shiney sh it who wins what, who is relegated, or not etc it is about keeping their business afloat. Much as with the PL.

So they will do what is needed....where possible

For my part that would be trying to finish the PL so all monies due are paid etc, So maybe for those who want the current systen to survive will need to bite on the bullet and recognise that for the 'greater good'  results, titles etc  are not going to be the primary concerrn,

Keeping the gravy train going is.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are not going to be playing the remaining games.

There are two options 1) void 2) finsh the season as is.

Arguing about your clubs current position or your rights to be promoted / win a title are tasteless in the extreme where people are losing income / ability to buy food / lives etc. Football needs to get a fxxking grip.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bill said:

Keeping the gravy train going is.

 

 

Looking at the financial markets and the huge amount of money being magic'd up out of nothing, I fear the gravy has already been spilt over the tablecloth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bill said:

Unfortunately many on here seem to think that it is a case of resolving this 'fairly'...it is not

There are huge sums of money involved, much of which are dependent upon certain events being resolved. I doubt sky, BT etc give a shiney sh it who wins what, who is relegated, or not etc it is about keeping their business afloat. Much as with the PL.

So they will do what is needed....where possible

For my part that would be trying to finish the PL so all monies due are paid etc, So maybe for those who want the current systen to survive will need to bite on the bullet and recognise that for the 'greater good'  results, titles etc  are not going to be the primary concerrn,

Keeping the gravy train going is.

 

 

It is about the money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding is that the view is that it will take at least 6 weeks to finish the football season and that of course assumes no more players/officials are confirmed as having contracted coronavirus. It matters not if games are played behind closed doors or not, three weeks into the period of trying to get the season completed and a team has a player confirmed as contracting coronavirus and that will be the end of any chance of completing all fixtures in that period. Given that things look as if they are going to get far worse, the options appear to be null and void or extending the season into 2021 and then you have a clash with the Euros in 2021......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Looking at the financial markets and the huge amount of money being magic'd up out of nothing, I fear the gravy has already been spilt over the tablecloth.

That's how money does happen.

You want to make some, then lend students £9000 so they have to pay you back that money and interest...money made

As long as folk believe that the money they have just been lent has some worth they will accept it, and spend it themselves

Eaiest scam in the world - and I'm afraid those on the right fall for it

If a boss and a worker were stuck on a desert island with the boss having £1m in money what use would it be to him, unless he could force/persuade the worker to make and do things....whereby the worker received less back than he produced.

It's not much mpore complicated than that, honestly

Once you can see through the con it is very difficult to comprehend how others can't

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'Eaiest scam in the world - and I'm afraid those on the right fall for it'

Or we just print more and more money to pay for stuff until we run out of borrowing and everyone is unemployed. I'm afraid those on the left have continually pointed to this as Utopia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...