Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Peter Grant And His Time As Manager.

I still believe as far as managers in my lifetime, he was the worst. Seems a good guy but he did so much damage.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

I still believe as far as managers in my lifetime, he was the worst. Seems a good guy but he did so much damage.

You're not the only one. The players had no respect for him at all. 

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

You're not the only one. The players had no respect for him at all. 

He also signed some utter dross while he was here. For all his faults Roeder could actually spot a player generally.

I remember after he got sacked Ian Murray (who was dog****) complained that training wasn't fun anymore which summed up everything wrong with his reign. Training shouldn't be 'fun' when you're bottom of the Championship.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

He also signed some utter dross while he was here. For all his faults Roeder could actually spot a player generally.

I remember after he got sacked Ian Murray (who was dog****) complained that training wasn't fun anymore which summed up everything wrong with his reign. Training shouldn't be 'fun' when you're bottom of the Championship.

Well on the massive upside he brought in Wes........ but the names Omar Koroma and Troy Archibald-Henville still make me shudder.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Well on the massive upside he brought in Wes........ but the names Omar Koroma and Troy Archibald-Henville still make me shudder.. 

Yeah he had some misses.

But Clingan was sold for a solid profit, Gibbs and Bertrand went on to be England internationals, David Bell was pretty good and the Martin Taylor loan saved our season when he first came in.

19 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah he had some misses.

But Clingan was sold for a solid profit, Gibbs and Bertrand went on to be England internationals, David Bell was pretty good and the Martin Taylor loan saved our season when he first came in.

He signed so many players, mostly on loan, that the law of averages means he had to get some right.

He also signed Matthew Bates, Matty Pattison, John Hartson, Jimmy Smith, Juan Velasco, Maceo Rigters, Carl Cort, John Kennedy, Antoine Sibierski, Jonathan Grounds, Arturo Lupoli and Elliot Omozusi in addition to the aforementioned Koroma and Archibald-Henville. 

Bryan Gunn did even worse though, Grant Holt aside. His five signings in his first transfer window were Chris Killen, David Carney, Adrian Leijer, Alan Gow and David Mooney. Wow.

How we did we go into the final day with a chance of survival?

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

6 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

He also signed Matthew Bates, Matty Pattison, John Hartson, Jimmy Smith, Juan Velasco, Maceo Rigters, Carl Cort, John Kennedy, Antoine Sibierski, Jonathan Grounds, Arturo Lupoli and Elliot Omozusi in addition to the aforementioned Koroma and Archibald-Henville. 

Bryan Gunn did even worse though, Grant Holt aside. His five signings in his first transfer window were Chris Killen, David Carney, Adrian Leijer, Alan Gow and David Mooney. Wow.

How we did we go into the final day with a chance of survival?

All true.

Grant signed Jon Otsemabor, Matt Gilks, Jamie Cureton, Julien Brellier, David Marshall, David Strihavka, Darel Russell, Ian Murray, Chris Brown. Mark Fotheringham, Luke Chadwick and Simon Lappin.

Of those, Lappin was probably the best. Marshall did OK but we really didn't need to spend £1m on a goalkeeper at that point. Darel Russell did well in League One. The rest were pretty awful and ended up costing us a good £3-4m which was a lot for us then.

Some of these names are throwbacks. We've come some way from seeing a practically retired John Hartson waddle onto the Carrow Road pitch so we could punt some balls up to him and hope.

The recruitment between the three of them was absolutely dreadful.

Luckily Lambert's was brilliant over his three years here which not only dug us out of a massive hole, but also built something which we're still seeing the benefits of now, i.e. being able to yo-yo between the Premier League and the Championship. With another Grant/Roeder/Gunn, we could've easily ended up where teams like Bradford and Coventry are.

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Some of these names are throwbacks. We've come some way from seeing a practically retired John Hartson waddle onto the Carrow Road pitch so we could punt some balls up to him and hope.

I still remember a match, which could've been his debut and he may have been a half-time sub, where the teams were lining up ready for the second half. Hartson was standing on the edge of the centre circle, on the halfway line, facing the centre spot. I was sitting behind the goal on the second row of the Barclay so Hartson was side-on to me, and I could see his beer belly stick out from 60+ yards away. It was ridiculous.

I remember being a very optimistic 21 year old when Peter Grant was unveiled as manager, not sure why, as we had been linked heavily with Alan Curbishley and PG wasn't even mentioned as a candidate, but I just never could see it going as bad as it did.

It was all over for him within weeks of taking the job when he called the fans a "disgrace" after a home win against Leicester I believe. Also used to have a dig at players in the press so no wonder they had no respect for him.

39 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

I remember being a very optimistic 21 year old when Peter Grant was unveiled as manager, not sure why, as we had been linked heavily with Alan Curbishley and PG wasn't even mentioned as a candidate, but I just never could see it going as bad as it did.

It was all over for him within weeks of taking the job when he called the fans a "disgrace" after a home win against Leicester I believe. Also used to have a dig at players in the press so no wonder they had no respect for him.

He came across as a very odd guy. I remember him constantly calling players over for chats during the game, even with play going on. It always gave the impression he didn't really trust his players to actually carry out his instructions. 

I remember him calling out Cureton in a press conference after he scored a hat trick in a League Cup game because he had a shot when he thought he should have squared to Strihavka. Very weird.

16 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

What happened to that thread about limiting how many threads a poster can start in a single day? 

Who cares? Haven't you got anything else to worry about 

14 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Who cares? Haven't you got anything else to worry about 

No I am bored at home self isolating 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Fred said:

No I am bored at home self isolating 

Fair enough! Why you self isolating? Whats happened

Heard Peter Grant spent hours researching all players of all teams and then issued instructions so complex that players did not know which way to turn. Flecky once told me that the best managers gave you two instructions 1. What to do if you had the ball and 2. What to do if you did not have the ball.

3 hours ago, king canary said:

He came across as a very odd guy. I remember him constantly calling players over for chats during the game, even with play going on. It always gave the impression he didn't really trust his players to actually carry out his instructions. 

I remember him calling out Cureton in a press conference after he scored a hat trick in a League Cup game because he had a shot when he thought he should have squared to Strihavka. Very weird.

Poor old Cureton seemed to get a lot of stick from managers after scoring goals for us. (He scored two in that game against Barnet in the League Cup). 

The manager who criticised him after he scored a hat-trick was non other than Glen Roeder. There was even a thread on a well known Norwich City message board about it at the time.