Sign in to follow this  
pete

No legal challenges?

Further to my earlier posts that the season is over and the 30th June was an important date, this has now become the date fixed for season to be decided by UEFA.  I reiterate the season will not be completed by this date.  The virus will still be potent long after May when the season will need to have started to complete by June 30th.  Even if the season resumes which will need to be behind closed doors it only takes one person in the league player or coaching staff to be infected to disrupt finishing the season.  So there will be no relegation Leeds cannot be promoted the season will be ruled as null and void.

Which brings us to the perceived legal challenges which are mooted by everyone with a vested interest namely Leeds, WBA and the 10 clubs or so who might just make the play offs.  However are they in any position to take legal challenges we have to question whether there is any contractual relationship with the PL.  I presume there is contract or agreement between the PL and EFL but feel it unlikely this extends to the clubs.  Whereas there will be contracts between current PL clubs and the PL to cover the relationship needed to run the competition this will include the PL rules stating that the league comprises 38 games.  Which means the only teams who might be able to take legal action are current PL clubs.

I cannot fail to be gleeful to see Leeds 17th EFL season couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.

The PL does have contracts around the globe with broadcasters to show PL.  Any legal action by these companies will be of more concern to the PL and they will do all they can to start next season at the soonest opportunity next Aug may be too soon.  They may have incurred liability for these contracts due to cancelling the PL prematurely even if it was for one week.

So see you next season for PL football.  A caveat is there is a miracle and the virus is eradicated by June.  Some hope.   

Also may be some basis for legal action that I am unaware.  If so forgive me but pretty sure.   

The rules for EPL and EFL state 3 relegations and promotions at the end of the season. Both sets of rules state that each team has to play every other team at home and away. So no relegation unless all games are played as things stand. 

There is apparently a PL rule that any of the other rules can be changed with a two thirds majority. That is reported in the media but I've looked at the rule book and didn't see it. But it's a huge document and I lost the will. 

Two thirds of 20 could be taken as 13 or 14. 

This will probably be decided by UEFA on Thursday. I suspect that all the domestic leagues would be grateful to have it taken out of their hands. The only certainty I can see is that there is no chance of getting it finished by 30 June. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

This too is my understanding. I haven't seen the agreement between PL and EFL, but it is reasonable to assume that it states that at the completion of the season, the qualifying sides from the EFL will / will be invited to join the PL. The wording is crucial, as is the intent of the agreement. Based on what we know and can reasonably assume, I do not believe there are grounds for an action against the PL if they void the season, irrespective of the sabre-rattling by Leeds United and others.

As you say, contractual disputes with broadcasters etc could rattle on for years, but that is largely incidental as football can resume while it goes on.

5 minutes ago, Pugin said:

This too is my understanding. I haven't seen the agreement between PL and EFL, but it is reasonable to assume that it states that at the completion of the season, the qualifying sides from the EFL will / will be invited to join the PL. The wording is crucial, as is the intent of the agreement. Based on what we know and can reasonably assume, I do not believe there are grounds for an action against the PL if they void the season, irrespective of the sabre-rattling by Leeds United and others.

As you say, contractual disputes with broadcasters etc could rattle on for years, but that is largely incidental as football can resume while it goes on.

Sky etc need to be very careful about sabre rattling. They have the likes of Amazon breathing down their necks. If they lose football they will disappear quite quickly. 

The Sun is suggesting behind closed doors at neutral venues. Bearing in mind that we have a good home record and appalling away record that doesn't bode well

https://www.givemesport.com/1555731-premier-league-plan-to-play-all-remaining-matches-behind-closed-doors-when-it-returns?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=web-view&utm_campaign=organic-social

16 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The Sun is suggesting behind closed doors at neutral venues. Bearing in mind that we have a good home record and appalling away record that doesn't bode well

https://www.givemesport.com/1555731-premier-league-plan-to-play-all-remaining-matches-behind-closed-doors-when-it-returns?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=web-view&utm_campaign=organic-social

At last a sensible, eminently workable solution. I cannot see any legals challenges there could possibly be to that...

What is missing from the Sun's explanation of how this would work is how the Championship, League One, League Two etc etc etc are going to finish off their seassons, or is the PL going to operate with only 17 teams when it restarts? Or will no-one be relegated and this is just an exercise to provide football that can be televised and to give Liverpool the title? Or will the PL try to choose three Championship teams to come up?

So tournament football where a squad of players and support staff say self isolate for 2 weeks then live in a bubble for 6 weeks. Sounds at the same time doinable, but also impossible.

Yes, I think it's impossible too. I never thought I would be sorry for a footballer but I would if they're asked to do that. I suspect that the players will say no and I for one wouldn't blame them 

92 games with teams playing every 3 days with only a few venues being used, some hosting 2 matches on the same day.

Those pitches are going to be in pretty poor condition after maybe as many as 20 games each in a few weeks.

And it will only take one Club to report a player with the virus for the whole thing to collapse like a pack of cards.

It ain't going to happen before 30th June. Also, there is the consideration of when next season might start too, for which there is no certainty.  

Like most events that have been postponed, the matches that have to happen to finish off this season and allow an orderly start to next season, will happen when it is safe to do so.   It might be September, with the new season starting in October, it might be in October and the new season would start in November, with lots of midweek games to make sure there is time to fit it all in. 

The bottom line is due to the ongoing situation, no-one knows when matches might be able to be played, so the only thing they can announce is that this seasons games will be played when the situation improves - and next season will be pushed back to accomodate it.  

Trying to fiddle some sort of half measure to complete games under a different format is total nonsense. You can't change the rules part way through and expect no legal challenge. 

The rest of the season is lost and with it the money. Sky and the PL need to face up to reality and start making decisions based on facts. The season is broken and cant  be mended with these silly sticking plaster ideas.

• Like 1

Haven’t read the sun article, but why the suggestion of playing at a neutral ground? How is that fair (when others have had home/away advantage for two thirds of the season) and why would it be necessary? 

1 hour ago, Aggy said:

Haven’t read the sun article, but why the suggestion of playing at a neutral ground? How is that fair (when others have had home/away advantage for two thirds of the season) and why would it be necessary? 

To stop home fans from causing disruption outside the ground as with PSG recently - and witnessed when away coaches try to get to Anfield.

Any sort of disruption would be seen as an unecessary gathering, and a use of police/medical resources.

London 'derby' games would especially be vunerable to such activity

Edited by Bill

5 hours ago, pete said:

The PL does have contracts around the globe with broadcasters to show PL.  Any legal action by these companies will be of more concern to the PL and they will do all they can to start next season at the soonest opportunity next Aug may be too soon.  They may have incurred liability for these contracts due to cancelling the PL prematurely even if it was for one week.

I would assume that most of their contracts will include a force majeure clause, so probably not a big concern for them.

4 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

At last a sensible, eminently workable solution. I cannot see any legals challenges there could possibly be to that...

What is missing from the Sun's explanation of how this would work is how the Championship, League One, League Two etc etc etc are going to finish off their seassons, or is the PL going to operate with only 17 teams when it restarts? Or will no-one be relegated and this is just an exercise to provide football that can be televised and to give Liverpool the title? Or will the PL try to choose three Championship teams to come up?

In case anyone thought this was the stupidest idea yet, one Mail ‘expert’ journalist said the season should be played to a conclusion no matter how long that took, even if it meant the next PL season only had time for each team to play each other once...

The best decision to take would be to null and void this season. This would remove any we shouldn't have been relegated or they shouldn't have been promoted arguments as the rules clearly state all teams must play each other twice. As for Sky, BT etc I think with their current stance with customers of no refunds they would struggle to win any legal action with regards to loss of earnings. Once this decision has been made the PL should then announce a fund for all League 1 & 2 and National league clubs to cover the cost of there loss of gate receipts (based on there future projections which they must already have in their business plans) surely a drop in the ocean of next seasons £6bn Tv deal.   

42 minutes ago, howzer14 said:

The best decision to take would be to null and void this season. This would remove any we shouldn't have been relegated or they shouldn't have been promoted arguments as the rules clearly state all teams must play each other twice. As for Sky, BT etc I think with their current stance with customers of no refunds they would struggle to win any legal action with regards to loss of earnings. Once this decision has been made the PL should then announce a fund for all League 1 & 2 and National league clubs to cover the cost of there loss of gate receipts (based on there future projections which they must already have in their business plans) surely a drop in the ocean of next seasons £6bn Tv deal.   

The problem there is with nearly 25% still to be played the loss of 'earnings' would be for PL clubs = hence their wish to get the games played.

Contary to what some might think TV money is not paid up front but on a ongoing basis, funded by monthly subscriptions and sponsorship/ads. The latter would not be due to pay without the games and the former would not want to pay. So it would be PL clubs going ti tis up, as with ITVDigital.

Projected TV income will already be comitted via player salaries so the only way I could see is for players to contribute from their wages///after being paid. Agents ill not allow contracts to be broken,as it would set a pattern,

So it is not so much a case of snouts in the trough but ar ses on the line.If the games are not playee the whole sorry pack of cards would quickly collapse