Sign in to follow this  
FenwayFrank

Peter Whittingham

Appears that he had been in hospital for about 10 days after falling at home but his condition suddenly worsened. A great player, underrated. Very sad if true.

Unfortunately it’s correct. RIP

English footballer and fan favourite Peter Whittingham has passed away at the age of 35. 

Reports state he was in intensive care after falling down stairs at his home.

The winger started his career at boyhood club Aston Villa making 56 appearances in the first team before spending 10 years at Cardiff City.

Seems very strange-there was a thread on a Cardiff City forum with some ITK saying it was true as they knew how it happened but couldn’t say anymore. But nothing has been added to the thread since 4.40 pm yesterday.

This was on Twitter yesterday and it was said that the person who put it out there then deleted their account.

I know the BBC and SSN are not the only sources but they haven't mentioned it at all.

2 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I know the BBC and SSN are not the only sources but they haven't mentioned it at all.

Nor have Cardiff City FC.

Oh my goodness. Massively underrated player-except at Cardiff. We were linked with him a few times weren't we?

1 hour ago, Uncle Fred said:

There are some sick sick people out there spreading rumours of his death

Honestly how bad can you get? 

As a Cardiff City legend I doubt that the people posting about his death on their forum would have been doing it with any sick intent.

As I said before though, this is very strange. From their forum it looks like he was watching the England vs Wales rugby match in a pub in Barry when he had the fall-so he has been in hospital for 10 days with no word coming out before yesterday. As his condition appears to have worsened considerably very recently, has he contracted coronavirus in hospital?

BBC SPORT - update, he is still with us!

Former Cardiff City and Aston Villa midfielder Peter Whittingham is in hospital with head injuries.

The ex-England Under-21 international suffered the injuries after an "accidental" fall in a pub in Barry.

"At around 10pm on March 7, South Wales Police were called to a licensed premises in Barry," a statement read.

"A 35-year-old man from Penarth suffered a head injury as a result of a fall and remains at the University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff."

The South Wales Police statement continued: "At this stage there is no evidence or suggestion of a criminal act, and it appears the injury was caused by an accidental fall.

Sadly, Cardiff City have confirmed he has died. Awfully sad new. RIP Peter and thoughts with immediate family. 

Terribly sad. RIP. 

Second really tragic news from Cardiff in recent times.