Sign in to follow this  
BobLoz3

Sutton's thoughts...

I'm sure we've all seen this on the main page but I'll post the link here anyway- https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/chris-sutton-suggests-city-bournemouth-villa-would-accept-relegation-if-there-was-no-money-involved-1-6564573

What are our thoughts on this? I think Mr Sutton is talking complete tripe.

Especially with regards to Leeds who are still more than capable of falling apart (again) 😂😉

He makes a very valid point - relegation is such a massive issue because hundreds of millions of pounds are involved.  The headline does not reflect what he is quoted as saying. How typical of the EDP.  He doesn't express an opinion as to how the issue should be resolved. We should be shocked, but I think we are used to shoddy sub-editing.

it will either be finished, or voided

there can be no arbitary awarding of places as that would need to happen right down the football 'pyramid'

and to judge then maybe numpties in favour of this might care to look at league placings at this stage in other seasons and compare them to how the fina; positions were

• Like 2

The biggest issue is the Villa game in hand- how do you square the idea fairness with a team being relegated with one less game played?

I maintain the most sensible suggestion is the one as in the Bundesliga- promote the top two, don't relegate anyone, 42 game season next year.

I think yesterday changed everything. We now have at least 3 months of social distancing throughout Europe; even if it ends then (mid-June) and everyone is fine (unlikely) UEFA will use the available time to complete the Champions League and Europa League because that is where the most money is at risk - assuming they have postponed Euro 20.

That means European football continues until at least the end of July, with domestic leagues not being able to restart before September, but from there it's all about what the TV companies want to do and how the EPL and other European Leagues avoid financial penalty.

I still don't think that they will go for null and void because that would breach their TV contracts. I do think it is more likely that they will go with the places as they currently are, and come up with a financial solution for those clubs who feel they are adversely impacted by that decision. I suspect that will be the "least worst" financial scenario, perhaps costing £500m of the future TV money, spread over 20 clubs over the next 2-3 years of the current deal.

32 minutes ago, king canary said:

The biggest issue is the Villa game in hand- how do you square the idea fairness with a team being relegated with one less game played?

I maintain the most sensible suggestion is the one as in the Bundesliga- promote the top two, don't relegate anyone, 42 game season next year.

where does the extra £200m plus come from ?

who compensates the Championship clubs for a drop of nearly 10% in income ?

why would bottom half PL clubs vote for 5 clubs to be relegated in May 2021?

trying to 'gerrymander' results is fraught with legal obstacles - there are enough problems already without setting up this

Edited by Bill

There's no way this can be resolved with everyone happy, unless every fixture is completed. 

I just cannot see it happening, unless the rest of the season is played behind closed doors. Even then... Unlikely. 

It will be interesting to see how it is handled. 

Another issue would be the availability of full squads for the teams. Should a team like us be without a full squad if they should resume the it would put us at a disadvantage.

As Ricardo says, the least complicated would be null and void. The lawyers would be recouping anyhting they lose over the next few weeks.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

and to judge then maybe numpties in favour of this might care to look at league placings at this stage in other seasons and compare them to how the fina; positions were

This ^

Playing the rest of the games behind closed doors and scrapping the FA Cup is still an option.  Null and void seems a bit defeatist.

10 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

Playing the rest of the games behind closed doors and scrapping the FA Cup is still an option.  Null and void seems a bit defeatist.

Not defeatist,  Pragmatic. 

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I wonder if most people on here would be this ambivalent if Norwich were top of the Championship right now.

I think MY has a point!

The fairest way would be to try to complete the season even if this involves delaying the next season. A three month break may men that there even has to be a mini pre-season and starting again in mid/late July. It might mean the new season not starting until October with a reduced international schedule/ no league cup/ replays etc.

16 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I wonder if most people on here would be this ambivalent if Norwich were top of the Championship right now.

Probably as they're suggesting a 22 team Prem season so... Yeah. I'd still be cool with it!

8 minutes ago, Badger said:

I think MY has a point!

The fairest way would be to try to complete the season even if this involves delaying the next season. A three month break may men that there even has to be a mini pre-season and starting again in mid/late July. It might mean the new season not starting until October with a reduced international schedule/ no league cup/ replays etc.

Contracts end, players move on, the season cannot simply be restarted after a 3 month break. Players may go down with the illness at any time and isolation will start all over again.

Its not about fairness, the season cannot complete within the rules. The competition has to be nul and void.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

"Not defeatist.  Pragmatic."

For us Norwich fans, there's a very fine line between pragmatism and self-interest. 

Agreed, pragmatism is self interests cousin. Defeatism isn't a relative of either.

Penalty shoot outs for the remaining games! Maybe that is just confidence from FA Cup have just remembered our penalties last season!

Edited by NeonYellow

8 minutes ago, Badger said:

I think MY has a point!

Its called a season for a reason and completing all the games outstanding within it, as @ricardo keeps pointing out is probably impossible already. It is not fair, but Covid-19 isn't fair, so voiding is the only outcome I see working. If I was a Liverpool, Leeds or Baggies fan I would hate it but it doesn't compare with the loss of a loved one.

June 30th is the deadline for completion because it aligns with player contracts. After that the 2019/2020 squads will change (particularly considering loan players). The PL already involves too many matches and the clubs will be unwilling to share the Sky money 22 rather than 20 ways, particularly if, or rather when, they have to refund the broadcasters and season ticket holders for this year. Write it off now.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, ricardo said:

the season cannot complete within the rules

I don't disagree with you about the difficulties and recognise that it might not be possible. However, delaying the end of the season may well be within the rules.

With regards players may becoming sick at any time - surely this could happen in the new season as well - are you suggesting that next season may be null and void as well?

Yep play the season out or null and void.  Nothing else is possible, legally or morally.  Euros cancellation will provide a window of opportunity to complete, but like Ricardo, I've no confidence the ban on public gathering will be lifted until a vaccine is ready for use.  So null and void.  And a move to summer football.  

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

I don't disagree with you about the difficulties and recognise that it might not be possible. However, delaying the end of the season may well be within the rules.

With regards players may becoming sick at any time - surely this could happen in the new season as well - are you suggesting that next season may be null and void as well?

That might burst the the Premiere money bubble. Cash is king and always will be.

Just now, Badger said:

I am suggesting that there may well be no more football this calendar year.

Attempting to squeeze more than 20 percent of the season into a period when casualties are coming in high numbers is not going to work and will reflect badly on any football authorities that suggest it.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I am suggesting that there may well be no more football this calendar year.

Attempting to squeeze more than 20 percent of the season into a period when casualties are coming in high numbers is not going to work and will reflect badly on any football authorities that suggest it.

If this were the case, what would happen to next season?

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

As I said, what some people have wanted for years, summer football (yep like Rugby League). 

6 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

As I said, what some people have wanted for years, summer football (yep like Rugby League). 

It would actually fit in quite well with the World Cup, but what would Sky/ BT say about no football for 9 months? Surely they wouldn't keep paying the money and what then for the finances of Premier League clubs? (And indeed all the others.)

11 minutes ago, Badger said:

Impossible to say when the next season begins. I doubt if anybody is going to pay Sky subs to watch behind closed doors games without a crowd atmosphere. If there is no money from TV and no money from the gate then there will be no football.

12 minutes ago, Badger said:

Next season? There may not be any professional football left to come back at all. How long without revenue will many of our clubs survive? One thing is likely is that there will be a lot of unemployed footballers on 1st July. City's prudent approach may well look a masterstroke.

• Like 1