Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

What are the top three best moments you have seen at Carrow road

My best moments have all been away from home . . .

1967: Man U 1-2 City in the FA Cup

1972: City's first-ever promotion to the top flight, clinched at Leyton Orient

2002: Playoff final in Cardiff

. . . and so have the worst

1995: Leicester, hearing that Martin O'Neill had walked and was joining Leicester, then losing 3-2 after being 2-0 up

2002: Playoff final in Cardiff

2005: Craven Cottage, need I say more

We have had so many wonderful times at carrow rd particularly in the last few years.

Couldn't really get my list down to 3 in terms of best moments, particularly because every time Huckerby received the ball feels like the best to me But the most memorable ones for me are:

1. Steve Bruce v 1p5wich- On the way out of the ground my dad suggested taking a different route back home so we ended up walking up Thorpe rd just as the 1p5wich  fans came down chucking bricks at everything. Ended up crunching behind cars to avoid serious harm.

2. The 1-7 home defeat, first game in league 1. Mental to think that that game led to the Lambert years and all those crazy last minute winners.

3. Can't remember which game but again during lambert years. After yet another inspired substitution that led to victory my dad turned to me in disbelief and said about lambert "That lucky **** has got a ******* magic wand everything he does turns to gold."

Edited by yellowandgreen

1, 2 & 3. Not just my favourite memory of Carrow Road, one of my most favorite memories of my whole life. It's strange in that I can't actually remember the game, the score or even who we played (I think we lost). Not long before she passed away, I went with my mother - who never went to games but took an interest - to a reserve game at Carrow Road in 2004 the evening that Sunderland played (I can't remember who), if they didn't win, we would be promoted after such a long time away from the Premiership; they lost and we went wild. Nobody really paid any attention to the reserve game and the score of the Sunderland game was being updated on the scoreboard.  It was a spur of the moment decision to go, an hour or so before kick off, after seeing it mentioned on Anglia news that evening, she suggested we go. At the end of the game Delia and Worthy walked on the pitch in front of the City Stand and the (what felt full) stand were jumping up and down, experiencing and celebrating promotion with my mother is by far, my favourite footballing memory.

There are lots of others that were also good, but nothing comparable to this. As I moved away a number of years ago, the vast majority of my Carrow Road experiences are from pre-2006; honourable mentions to 4-4 against Boro, all UEFA cup games as a child felt special (even the Inter game), Wolves playoff semi etc.

Edited by All the Germans
  • Like 2

Specifically at CR and not including away games or games played anywhere else...

1) Jackson's winner vs Derby

2) Full time whistle against Bayern

3) Getting on the pitch with my Dad against Blackburn last season (we sponsored matchball), just after Mario's last gasp equaliser.

Edited by kick it off

12 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Was it Blackpool SOB?

This thread is brilliant. But like best goals the older you are the more there is to choose from. I saw all the contributions made on here and like SOB I couldn't even try to to whittle them down.

But there are moments, things that stick in your mind but weren't great goals or great results or even great excitement. One such moment for me was Easter Monday 1969. We played Huddersfield at home and didn't have much in the way of striker options. Bryan Conlon was injured and Hughie Curran had been sold. We had Albert Bennett with his white boots but he needed help. There was no media to pontificate about this and who might play. I turned up, the teams took to the pitch and the No. 9 was Terry Allcock. Now The Count hadn't played that season. In fact for the two years prior to that I'd only ever seen him play halfback. I knew he'd been a famous centre forward because I knew all about 1959 and all that. But for a boy of 12 any thing before 1967 was no more than stories. Anyway, I think this story was already written because we won the game 1-0 with a Terry Allcock header into the Barclay end goal.

The clean sheet was a surprise too because King Kev was injured so we had Peter Vasper in goal...

Yes it was Blackpool, big brawl including stewards, it was hard to determine the orange shirts of the Blackpool players from the orange hi viz jackets of the stewards........

Edited by Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB

5 hours ago, All the Germans said:

1, 2 & 3. Not just my favourite memory of Carrow Road, one of my most favorite memories of my whole life. It's strange in that I can't actually remember the game, the score or even who we played (I think we lost). Not long before she passed away, I went with my mother - who never went to games but took an interest - to a reserve game at Carrow Road in 2004 the evening that Sunderland played (I can't remember who), if they didn't win, we would be promoted after such a long time away from the Premiership; they lost and we went wild. Nobody really paid any attention to the reserve game and the score of the Sunderland game was being updated on the scoreboard.  It was a spur of the moment decision to go, an hour or so before kick off, after seeing it mentioned on Anglia news that evening, she suggested we go. At the end of the game Delia and Worthy walked on the pitch in front of the City Stand and the (what felt full) stand were jumping up and down, experiencing and celebrating promotion with my mother is by far, my favourite footballing memory.

There are lots of others that were also good, but nothing comparable to this. As I moved away a number of years ago, the vast majority of my Carrow Road experiences are from pre-2006; honourable mentions to 4-4 against Boro, all UEFA cup games as a child felt special (even the Inter game), Wolves playoff semi etc.

Sunderland were playing Ipswich who beat them 1-0. We were playing at Reading the same night, there was a very large City away following at the Madejski, the concourse erupted when Ippo scored, I never ever thought I would see Norwich fans celebrating an Ippo goal. That was also the night where the ref (Neale Barry) teed up the Mulryne winner in the 86th minute.......

13 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Sunderland were playing Ipswich who beat them 1-0. We were playing at Reading the same night, there was a very large City away following at the Madejski, the concourse erupted when Ippo scored, I never ever thought I would see Norwich fans celebrating an Ippo goal. That was also the night where the ref (Neale Barry) teed up the Mulryne winner in the 86th minute.......

I don't think this is correct? I am certain that our first team were not playing the night I mention and Sunderland were playing their game(s) in hand against us. It was purely that result - them not winning - that promoted us. I am also fairly certain that I'd remember if it were Ipswich that I wanted to win.

35 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I don't think this is correct? I am certain that our first team were not playing the night I mention and Sunderland were playing their game(s) in hand against us. It was purely that result - them not winning - that promoted us. I am also fairly certain that I'd remember if it were Ipswich that I wanted to win.

You are correct, Wednesday 21st April 2004 Sunderland lost 3-0 at Palace, promoting us. The games on 12th April meant we only had to win two more games for promotion.

Thanks for all the replies, lots of great memories. Another I thought of was not at Carrow road but up the road , Johnny miller scoring twice to knock them out of the league cup after we signed him along with peter Morris and Clive woods from Ipswich 

7 minutes ago, Yellowhammer said:

Thanks for all the replies, lots of great memories. Another I thought of was not at Carrow road but up the road , Johnny miller scoring twice to knock them out of the league cup after we signed him along with peter Morris and Clive woods from Ipswich 

Martin O’Neil’s freekick on Boxing Day, or has my memory gone a.

Another one I've just remembered- Norwich 1-0 Forest on Boxing Day 2003.

Game wasn't hugely memorable (I think Svensson scored our goal) but the atmosphere in the ground due to the fact we'd pulled off the seemingly impossible singing of Huckerby that day was incredible. This was before we all had smartphones and 24/7 access to the latest info so I remember hearing rumours on the drive to Norwich that he'd actually signed and then he was properly unveiled that day.

• Like 2

On 16/03/2020 at 05:01, Yellowhammer said:

Another best thread , but what are the top three moments you have seen at Carrow road not on the tv but in the crowd , mine are in the seventies 

1 The two games v Chelsea in the league cup semi final ( the fog one and the rearranged game )

2. Dave stringers late headed winner v Crystal Palace keeping us in the top league 

3 Justin Fashanu great goal v Liverpool

Great atmosphere at all the games 27000 to 33000 and the noise was fantastic 

Having lived away from Norfolk for way too long, all I can say is yes, yes and yes. 

I was in the River End for the first Chelsea game, could not believe how unfair it was the ref stopped the game. 

I was in the South Stand for the Crystal Palace game. Could not see a thing, but the atmosphere was brilliant. 

I was back in the River End for Fash's goal. I played against him once in youth football, so that was extra special.