Sign in to follow this  
pete

The money will decide this season

The outcome of this season will be decided by the money the PL stand to lose in legal disputes.  The PL has many contracts with foreign broadcasters and the clubs and many other parties.

Each of those contracts will include a force majeur clause.  This clause provides a party may breach its contract where it is unable to perform the contract due to circumstances beyond its control act of god for example.  The coronavirus certainly falls into this category.  

The PL provides the season is 38 games for a complete season.  Which is postulated ss highly unlikely.  But does force majeur apply it is arguable the PL breached its contract unilaterally when it decided to suspend the PL whist the games can be played with or without fans.  It is unlikely that the attendance of supporters is an applicable provision as to the completion of games.  Therefore behind closed doors matches will allow the PL to perform its contractual obligations.  Expect therefore the season to be completed behind closed doors.  

Will they though.  Best to just cancel 19/20 now.

I suppose in answer to your question, other games have been suspended in the past (for all kinds of reasons, financial, political, even medical) so this temporary suspension is just that. Granted, we are in very new territory.

17 minutes ago, pete said:

The outcome of this season will be decided by the money the PL stand to lose in legal disputes.  The PL has many contracts with foreign broadcasters and the clubs and many other parties.

Each of those contracts will include a force majeur clause.  This clause provides a party may breach its contract where it is unable to perform the contract due to circumstances beyond its control act of god for example.  The coronavirus certainly falls into this category.  

The PL provides the season is 38 games for a complete season.  Which is postulated ss highly unlikely.  But does force majeur apply it is arguable the PL breached its contract unilaterally when it decided to suspend the PL whist the games can be played with or without fans.  It is unlikely that the attendance of supporters is an applicable provision as to the completion of games.  Therefore behind closed doors matches will allow the PL to perform its contractual obligations.  Expect therefore the season to be completed behind closed doors.  

Will they though.  Best to just cancel 19/20 now.

But the season wasn't suspended because of whether fans could or could not attend but because the virus had got into clubs and their players:

"This action, which will be kept under constant review, has been taken due to the increasing numbers of Clubs taking steps to isolate their players and staff because of the COVID-19 virus.''

• Like 1

Anyone who thinks that this will be done by August is not looking at the facts. Cancelling it will be the only option in my opinion. 

What purple said. The PL can’t continue with so many players in isolation. Playing behind closed doors is irrelevant, the PL has a duty to the players and staff of each club. There was no choice but to suspend the season. 

7 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

What purple said. The PL can’t continue with so many players in isolation. Playing behind closed doors is irrelevant, the PL has a duty to the players and staff of each club. There was no choice but to suspend the season. 

It is not only the isolation, but fitness. For each day a player is self isolating he needs a days training to recover. So to isolate for two weeks means taking the player out for the best part of a month. That doesn't even include match fitness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Anyone who thinks that this will be done by August is not looking at the facts. Cancelling it will be the only option in my opinion. 

This. Can't see any other viable option. 

1 hour ago, Fiery Zac said:

I think we are going to have to accept that everyone will take a hit.

Lowered TV subscriptions. less advert income meaning less money to clubs, less money to players

However there is a lot of slack with the prize money never being a certain amount as is the TV money so I expect much of that might not be paid out.

I would also suggest things will get more back to normal in a month or two when the 'winter pressure' on the NHS eases, extra resources become available and can be increased (via army etc)

If this serves to deflate the PL financial balloon then there will have been some benefit, but for the moment we will just have to accept that football, like much else will be in mothballs for the time being and maybe put our energies to another use. I wonder howwhat

20,000 or so football fans could achieve on a Saturday afternoon.

I'm sure there are plenty of voluntary services that would be welcome of the help - without fans has having to be directly in contact with 'patients'.

Perhaps it's time to see a bit of that 'war time' spirit so many claim is no longer part of society.

If we can't win on the pitch.... then lets' dig for victory (loud cheers)