Sign in to follow this  
pete

30th June the pinch point

If the PL cannot be resolved by June 30th which seems unlikely unless PL wants to abandon an August start for next season.  On this date most player contracts terminate for players out of contract.  Another issue is players on loan the loan arrangements will presumably terminate sometime in May.  To complete by end June PL needs restart a month before to fit in all the games.

On SSN Sunday Supplement the four journo's were adamant the season will be completed I fail to see how that will be possible when virus supposedly at its peak.  The start of 20/21 is likely to be delayed further if the virus not over by Aug/Sept.

Thursday meeting with PL should clarify hopefully and we can stop hoping..    

Yes, decision times are indeed approaching Pete. Journalists and even us here can formulate opinions but events will overtake any footballing issue. The cries of unfairness, because whatever is decided, inevitably will upset many,....I fear, will simply be lost in a far greater wind as the outbreak continues. It is almost becoming unimportant isn't it to the wider world events. And it's only just starting!

• Like 1

Football journalists are probably the last people to listen to on this subject. There is a long haul to go through before another ball is kicked in anger.

31 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Football journalists are probably the last people to listen to on this subject. There is a long haul to go through before another ball is kicked in anger.

I've listened to numerous football journalists over the last couple of days. None of them have taken the trouble to read the rule books. But the solicitors representing the football clubs have. Football journalists won't decide this. It will be decided by UEFA and their solicitors and the solicitors of clubs like ours

41 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I've listened to numerous football journalists over the last couple of days. None of them have taken the trouble to read the rule books. But the solicitors representing the football clubs have. Football journalists won't decide this. It will be decided by UEFA and their solicitors and the solicitors of clubs like ours

I don’t know the answer to this DIABD, but what do the rules say (if anything) about decisions made with the agreement of other clubs? If the clubs vote for [option x] does that solve a lot of the problems?

Edited by Aggy

2 hours ago, Aggy said:

I don’t know the answer to this DIABD, but what do the rules say (if anything) about decisions made with the agreement of other clubs? If the clubs vote for [option x] does that solve a lot of the problems?

Everyone signed up to the rules at the start of the season. They say everyone must play all the other teams twice. That's where the solicitors come in

It's increasingly likely there won't be a 2020/21 season let alone finishing this one. There will be no TV or supporter revenue coming in, there will be players contracts to fulfil or curtail. Only the rich clubs will survive to fight another day, and that might not include NCFC.

23 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

It's increasingly likely there won't be a 2020/21 season let alone finishing this one. There will be no TV or supporter revenue coming in, there will be players contracts to fulfil or curtail. Only the rich clubs will survive to fight another day, and that might not include NCFC.

au contraire

it is not about supposed assets, but inescapable liabilities

I doubt very much if we have a large amount we owe in stage payments, whereas a so called wealthy club may well have (where now that debt on the new stand ?)

I would expect player contracts to have some sort of clause depending on such an unforseen occurence

so it will be those who can meet their bills, not the size of their bills (not me)

• Haha 1

I am not sure what would be achieved by knocking the season on the head now, even if  it finishing is increasingly likely.  There should be a plan for what happens if it cannot finish but no reason to up stumps now i wouldn't have thought.  

In the Prem at least they seem to make their own rules and 1 of the rules is they only need a14 club majority to pass a vote as far as I u understand so the clubs will decide what happens in the prem.

I have no idea how this will play out. My gut tells me the season will be completed somehow but they are now taking about over 70s isolating for 3 or 4 months so you have to think mass gatherings will be banned for similar period.

If the season can not be completed all other outcomes are unfair but ppl have to remember it's no ones fault, this is unprecedented

The virus situation will not be resolved anytime soon.

Things are going to get worse rather than better for many months.

The remaining 2019/20 football fixtures cannot/will not be completed.

NCFC will be in the PL next season (if there is one)

• Like 1

Again it falls into liability.

Would a club be liable for any player required to play who then contracted the virus, much as with the police and any auxiliary staff.

Much as the Mail and other rightwing numpties like to bleat out political correctnes, health and safety,  in the real world employers have what is known as a duty of care, Which means that what appear to be over zealous rules are merely there to protect the employer.

So the fear is of putting yourself at risk of litigation rather than putting the employee.spectator at risk

Look up The Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007

Edited by Bill

24 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

In the Prem at least they seem to make their own rules and 1 of the rules is they only need a14 club majority to pass a vote as far as I u understand so the clubs will decide what happens in the prem.

I have no idea how this will play out. My gut tells me the season will be completed somehow but they are now taking about over 70s isolating for 3 or 4 months so you have to think mass gatherings will be banned for similar period.

If the season can not be completed all other outcomes are unfair but ppl have to remember it's no ones fault, this is unprecedented

People will be dying in their hundreds per day so I doubt very much if anyone advocating a restart is going to get much of a hearing. The chance of any football before the cut off date is essentially nil.

As for mass gatherings, I think we are now very close to pubs, resturants etc being told to close.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 1

and I think any whinging by fan or club that they have beenn unfairly treated will not be seen in the best of lights if the mortality rates hit anywhere near what Ricardo has mentioned

at this tage we are not sure of how this will pan out, but the idea that somehow there will be a way of playing the remaining games on an equal basis is far fetched, as no club will want to be seen as being more concerned with trophy hunting than social safety

and if Liverpool fans feel they have been robbed then let them remember the clubs who were robbed of playing in Europe in the late 80's

but of far, far more signifocance let them remember 39 Italian football fans who were robbed of much more that May night in 1985  - no missin g trophy or open top parade for them...ever

• Like 2

I'm not convinced that the situation will continue to escalate for months and months.  Covid-19 belongs to the same family of viruses as the common cold, which doesn't thrive in warmer weather.  Many fewer cases have been reported in the southern hemisphere, where the outbreak coincided with their summer.  Ditto tropical locations.

8 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

I'm not convinced that the situation will continue to escalate for months and months.  Covid-19 belongs to the same family of viruses as the common cold, which doesn't thrive in warmer weather.  Many fewer cases have been reported in the southern hemisphere, where the outbreak coincided with their summer.  Ditto tropical locations.

'The coronavirus epidemic in the UK will last until next spring and could lead to 7.9 million people being hospitalised, a secret Public Health England (PHE) briefing for senior NHS officials reveals.

The document, seen by the Guardian, is the first time health chiefs tackling the virus have admitted that they expect it to circulate for another 12 months and lead to huge extra strain on an already overstretched NHS.'

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/uk-coronavirus-crisis-to-last-until-spring-2021-and-could-see-79m-hospitalised

a must read

16 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

Iran?

15 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Iran?

Iran is very cold this time of year. Only now leaving a cold winter behind. Perhaps improve ss spring arrives.

Edited by ricardo

34 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

maybe their measuring and collating systems are not so accurate

Doesn’t there come a point though where things have to try and go back to “normal”? If that ‘normal’ means more people are getting ill than previously, then so be it. If it’s around for another year (or, as the article Bill posted says, for ever - albeit becoming less infectious and deadly as immunity builds), you can’t ban all large public gatherings for a year plus. You can’t spend the next five years forcing people to self isolate for a fortnight every time they’ve got a bit of a cough. The economy will grind to a halt and more people will die from poverty and malnutrition when jobs are scrapped as a result. Right now, we’ve got to play for time and the isolation tactics employed elsewhere in Europe seem sensible to me on the basis of trying not to overload the health service. But there comes a point when we have stabilised a bit where things have to go back to some sort of normality - if at-risk people wish to continue to avoid large public gatherings etc then fair enough.

I’d be surprised if next season doesn’t start at its usual time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bill said:

so it will be those who can meet their bills, not the size of their bills (not me)

😂 Not sure why that’s made me laugh as much as it has.

6 hours ago, pete said:

On SSN Sunday Supplement the four journo's were adamant the season will be completed I fail to see how that will be possible when virus supposedly at its peak.  The start of 20/21 is likely to be delayed further if the virus not over by Aug/Sept.

But Sky have a vested interest in the matter. They're hardly likely to point out that Skysports might not have any coverage of anything until September, because people will cancel their subscription until then.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Aggy said:

😂 Not sure why that’s made me laugh as much as it has.

then today has not been wasted 😍

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Doesn’t there come a point though where things have to try and go back to “normal”? If that ‘normal’ means more people are getting ill than previously, then so be it. If it’s around for another year (or, as the article Bill posted says, for ever - albeit becoming less infectious and deadly as immunity builds), you can’t ban all large public gatherings for a year plus. You can’t spend the next five years forcing people to self isolate for a fortnight every time they’ve got a bit of a cough. The economy will grind to a halt and more people will die from poverty and malnutrition when jobs are scrapped as a result. Right now, we’ve got to play for time and the isolation tactics employed elsewhere in Europe seem sensible to me on the basis of trying not to overload the health service. But there comes a point when we have stabilised a bit where things have to go back to some sort of normality - if at-risk people wish to continue to avoid large public gatherings etc then fair enough.

I’d be surprised if next season doesn’t start at its usual time.

That pretty much sums it up - as one of the fears of the early part of the war was that people would develop a 'unker mentality' and stay in shelters. Hence the thought of 'keep cal and carry on'

I do think things will gradually normalise as the deaths become part of of lives and the media will not focus on them so much - just as has been the disappearance of the tragedy of the floods and mrs sparkle and ginger tom's shenanigans.

When it is seen that corpses are not piled up in the streets and people know people who have recovered a sort of resilience will take over

At the moment we are in a state of 'panic' simply through it being unknown. That is always the greater worry.

Today has an eerie, doomday feel about it being as so many are off work. But as with the Xmas break folk are soon glad to get back to work. Pi ssheads will wander back to Wetherspoons, just as gutbuckets will not be able to stay out of Greggs.

One of the notable opinions noted by Mass Observation in the war was how an attitude of 'if it's got your name on it' whereby better to carry on and if it happens it will happen.

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

...just as gutbuckets will not be able to stay out........

I'm amazed I can't find that one on Waveney's list. 😀