Sign in to follow this  
Huddy

MCVEIGH to be offered new contract

NW tonight at the meet the board evening that NCFC will be taking up the extra year option on Mcveighs contract soon. He said that  he hoped it would be sorted out in the near future.

Worthy also said that it would be 1 year on the basis that Mcveigh only seems to perform near the end of his contract, which to be honest seems to be true. He is gifted, but hasnt done much over the past 2 years untill this season. It seems that he hasnt performed in training and thats why he wasnt picked.

"Worthy also said that it would be 1 year on the basis that Mcveigh only seems to perform near the end of his contract, which to be honest seems to be true. He is gifted, but hasnt done much over the past 2 years untill this season. It seems that he hasnt performed in training and thats why he wasnt picked."

As a lot of us suspected.

He should be offered longer than a year.

Yes he has been poor till recently, but statistically over his career he has proved more than capable of being one of our more consistent performers.

Tie him down before he leaves on a free!

When has WLY had the opportunity to play over the previous two seasons?  When he was used he was not played as a striker but as a midfielder - Zipper has sparkled as a striker this season.

Even when he did play well, for example against spurs at home he was subbed and dropped despite having a midfield crisis - and even now worthy continues to give faint praise for one of the few players to actually perform this season!  Where is the back handed criticism of the performances of Hughes, Flem Charlie Etuhu Colin, Thorne, Jarrett, Hux and Henderson over the last couple of games?  All have played SIGNIFICANTLY worse than WLY yet it is the latter who is repeatedly subbed and criticised despite being the best player on the pitch...

Doesn''t try very hard in training?

OR

is significantly unmotivated to play for a manager who DOES NOT value his contribution to the team, and his natural talent, touch and vision?

If I was Paul, I would have chucked in the towel a while ago, too. WHO CARES if he isn''t the best trainer? Eidur Gudjonssen was on the radio last week saying Del Horno and Drogba were the worst trainers at Chelsea BUT MOURINHO PICKS THE BEST TEAM.

He''s a footballer for crissakes. He doesn''t need to be top of the "shuttle runs" league, as long as he''s fit enough to play 120 mins without flagging, and make a valuable contribution to the team whilst doing so.

[quote user="Old Boy"]

"Worthy also said that it would be 1 year on the basis that Mcveigh only seems to perform near the end of his contract, which to be honest seems to be true. He is gifted, but hasnt done much over the past 2 years untill this season. It seems that he hasnt performed in training and thats why he wasnt picked."

As a lot of us suspected.

[/quote]

So worthy cant motivate him in training. better managers would have players like McVeigh motivated all the time......  its quite hard to get too motivated when you are always blamed for defeats and hardly ever get played

I think Worthy explained why he hasn''t played more - because he doesn''t bother in training. I accept that, having seen him play when he looked overweight and unmotivated. It happens in football - talented players who are too lazy to try.

[quote user="Mook"]

Doesn''t try very hard in training?

OR

is significantly unmotivated to play for a manager who DOES NOT value his contribution to the team, and his natural talent, touch and vision?

If I was Paul, I would have chucked in the towel a while ago, too. WHO CARES if he isn''t the best trainer? Eidur Gudjonssen was on the radio last week saying Del Horno and Drogba were the worst trainers at Chelsea BUT MOURINHO PICKS THE BEST TEAM.

He''s a footballer for crissakes. He doesn''t need to be top of the "shuttle runs" league, as long as he''s fit enough to play 120 mins without flagging, and make a valuable contribution to the team whilst doing so.

[/quote]

great post - especially the del horno/drogba comment....  I doubt Matt Le Tiss ws great in the shuttle runs, but he could place the ball on any seat you cared to name at the Dell such was his quality on the ball.  Also you can''t doubt McVeighs attitude on the park - he is a Norwich City player and WANTS the team to do well - that comes across in his play and attitude, he is always extremely disappointed to be substituted and blamed.  And of recent times has had to put up with the ball being hoofed upfield endlessly..

Too right Paul, Le God is a perfect example - and Worthy would not have played him.

Or would he?

McVeigh always chases back, chases around, doesn''t let his man go during a game, closes down the last defender.

Huckerby, on the other hand, does NONE of the above. He never tracks back, in fact, he barely contributes apart from trying constantly to dribble down the line and take on three men.

How come HE doesn''t get subbed, dropped or blamed?

Yeah very good post Mook.

Either way McVeigh wins. If he gets another year at the club to, as everyones says,  show what a talented player he his, play well and attract a new club. His contract is up next season so he will walk away on a free transfer to a club who will use his abilities wisely. Oh and he will probably have a decent manager who won''t use him as a scapegoat when the team isn''t performing.

Worthless is only using the 1 year option on him because of all the injuries. If we had a full squad, i think McVeigh would have been shown the door at the end of this season.

No - you''re right - Worthy isn''t Mourinho. And he doesn''t have Mourinho''s resources which enable him to buy players with both skill AND motivation. You''re also taking one player''s opinions of another, which demands a leap of faith that I can''t make - and anyway, what is "worse" in terms of training - technically worse, lazy or what?

If you look around, you''ll see players like McVeigh at almost every club, and although there always were players like that, IMO it''s worse now because the players have the whip hand. But don''t kid yourself that it''s just this club or this manager. Look at Man U. That''s not to say Worthy couldn''t do better as a man-manager. But don;t keep absolving the players of any blame - that''s wrong in every sense.

You''re right though, you''d have thought that McVeigh would have got sick of it by now. So why hasn''t he?.....

[quote user="Old Boy"]

No - you''re right - Worthy isn''t Mourinho. And he doesn''t have Mourinho''s resources which enable him to buy players with both skill AND motivation. You''re also taking one player''s opinions of another, which demands a leap of faith that I can''t make - and anyway, what is "worse" in terms of training - technically worse, lazy or what?

If you look around, you''ll see players like McVeigh at almost every club, and although there always were players like that, IMO it''s worse now because the players have the whip hand. But don''t kid yourself that it''s just this club or this manager. Look at Man U. That''s not to say Worthy couldn''t do better as a man-manager. But don;t keep absolving the players of any blame - that''s wrong in every sense.

You''re right though, you''d have thought that McVeigh would have got sick of it by now. So why hasn''t he?.....

[/quote]

no, we pay large sums for players lacking Skill and Motivation it would seem.

McVeigh shows the right attitude on the park along with his abilities (and i don''t think he is the greatest player in the world, or at the club).  So he struggles in training with a manager whom doesnt like him.  he is probably doing so well because he isnt following the managers orders because he doesnt have to worry anymore cos he is leaving.....

This manager gives workhorses so much leeway its untrue, a certain player lacking ability will be played every match while worthy is in charge even though he is a 1st Division player and nothing more and has been completely ineffective....  his predecessor Holty last year was INEPT the whole season and was continually played even while unfit - to no effect (the fact we got twice as many points in games he didnt play to those he did says a lot). And I respect Holt because he had far more footballing ability than his replacement.

Come on, Dad. I''m not saying Paul McVeigh is God, even if I do think he''s the best player to pull on the yellow jersey since Eadie or Crook.

I know he can be lazy, I know he''s an arse. I don''t doubt he''s always mucking about when people are training.

But footballers have personalities. Or at least, everyone apart from those within the current England squad do.

They need to be managed, and managed with empathy. Eidur was talking about the lazy trainers, the ones that don''t try. But as long as they''re fit, and the manager considers them to be the best men for the job, then they will play. Because some players have to train harder than others - Citizen Neville, Stuart Pearce, NIGEL WORTHINGTON, Kevin Keegan were all players who''s natural talents were not god given. They had to work hard to keep up.

Paul is already head and shoulders above the rest of our lot in terms of ability. He is fit enough to play. He works hard during the games, and they''re the ones we need points from.

I don''t jump to the players'' defence all the time - but McVeigh is the only one who HASN''T let himself down this season. That has had the bottle to face the challenge, that wants the ball, that wants to play. I don''t feel he''s taking the money and running, like Fat Phil or Damien for example ...

OK Paul, but we''re talking about McVeigh here, not other players, or other selection decisions by Worthy. I don''t get the impression that McVeigh "struggles in training", I get the impression that he just doesn''t try. And that''s why the manager doesn''t like him. You''d rather interpret the situation to blame Worthy, but the facts that we know (rather than think we know) point another way - McVeigh''s best spells are at the end of contracts, and he''s made no attempt to leave the club despite not being selected and being "named and shamed" by the manager. I said some time ago that I thought he''d play well now unitl the end of the season, and then he''d be signed by another club. I expect that they''ll have the same experience with him, but we''ll see. It''s a shame, because I think he IS the best player at the club - or at least he has the tools to be.

Perhaps, Zipper, WLY has very much more to offer than those you have mentioned in terms of all round ability.  And as Worthy knows, WLY is paid to perform to his potential at least in 90% of his games, and only does it if and when he pleases, I believe he actually owes NCFC.  With the exception of Hux and Etuhu, I think the others are, from their body language busting a gut and at least trying, un- fortunately to no avail, their reading of the game seems to be limited, but one can live in hopes that it will improve, it is said that monkeys can learn if they perform the necessities  enough times. 

What I fear is the distinct lack of mobility in the defence from mid field/back, as well as their apparent lack of a cohesive system.

I would offer to pay WLY by the game as a trial and give abonus to him for every win, plus an incentive for a full years contract if he is selected on merit for every game of his trial game by game, contract.  Henderson for me seems to be a person with too much bustle and not sure of his direction.  IMHO he needs strong individual, one on one coaching for the next month.  If the coaching staff can be coached off their a***S to oblige!!!

What about pride and self motivation.  Winners are winners because of their fitness and ability to apply themselves to the job in hand constantly.  After all you woud''nt be tempted to start climbing a mountain if you personaly was''nt sure of your fitness and ability to last the climb.

Also those in charge watching a training session where a player does not last the session.   If the others are putting the work in, why should any member of a team be given leave to slack.  What other criteria is to be used to assess the ability of an athlete to perform.  The other point it is also about the team as a collective unit putting in an equal amount of personal effort to get to the level of fitness required.

Lastly it ought to be sorted as a contractual obligation by players that they must be prepared to train as directed by the coaching staff to be able to reach a level of fitness that will enable them personally to perform at a level to aid team success,  if not the club can terminate the players contract with the club and moneys lost as a result of the termination can be can be claimed by either party.

Not nice to have on your CV, reason for termination, player would no participate in training schedules designed to reach the level of fitness required by the club, that were necessary for him to be included in the first team.

[quote user="beelsie"]

Perhaps, Zipper, WLY has very much more to offer than those you have mentioned in terms of all round ability.  And as Worthy knows, WLY is paid to perform to his potential at least in 90% of his games, and only does it if and when he pleases, I believe he actually owes NCFC.  With the exception of Hux and Etuhu, I think the others are, from their body language busting a gut and at least trying, un- fortunately to no avail, their reading of the game seems to be limited, but one can live in hopes that it will improve, it is said that monkeys can learn if they perform the necessities  enough times. 

What I fear is the distinct lack of mobility in the defence from mid field/back, as well as their apparent lack of a cohesive system.

I would offer to pay WLY by the game as a trial and give abonus to him for every win, plus an incentive for a full years contract if he is selected on merit for every game of his trial game by game, contract.  Henderson for me seems to be a person with too much bustle and not sure of his direction.  IMHO he needs strong individual, one on one coaching for the next month.  If the coaching staff can be coached off their a***S to oblige!!!

[/quote]

I agree to some extent with whjat you are saying beelsie, Henderson needs to be sent on loan at the first available ooportunity - I feel as an U20 player there should be takers in the lower leagues, with a proper run of games in his correct position for another side maybe we can then see the real hendo.

I also get the impression their is no TEAM at the moment, not in the motivational sense but in the Sam Allardyce sense.  In Sams teams everybody knows what is expected from them and has Specific instructions as to what to do. When the fail to do his orders he is out bellowing at them to foollow the ''plan''.  Obviously a player like hucks falls somewhat outside this remit, but a player Like Jurgen Colin seems to have no choice but to hoof it when he picks the ball up, Andy Hughes can be found running around almost at random in areas of the pitch, Etuhu does not seem to no what to do when the ball is not at his feet and even with experience and quality like Greeno, Drury, The Doc and Fleming the defense is all at see at the moment.  As for the forward line, they have really not seen any of the ball in the last few matches (barring a 2nd half showing against watford), let alone Quality ball.

In the end all these problems have started from a lack of quality in the squad.  Many times this season a below par Hucks has bailed us out of even worse results than would otherwise have been obtained.  Lets hope the new faces have some impact - even if it is just for a couple of matches before they begin to fall into the dross seen at carrow road this season.

Beelsie - Paul McVeigh owes us nothing. In pretty much every game he has been asked to play in, he has delivered. You say he seems only to perform "if and when he pleases"?

Come on.

More like "if and when he''s selected and the ball doesn''t spend 90mins by-passing him."

[quote user="KanYe West"]Well mook, francis didnt let us down last seaon (imo), showing what quality is in a top league. Yet mcveigh wasnt to be seen all season.[/quote]

when he was played he ws put on the right (his least effective position - and he got a good goal at old trafford.  Worthy just doesnt like him, its plainly obvious.

Rant,

Interesting point about game plans.

For me one moment will stand out this season.

Norwich won a corner against Watford and an angry Boothroyd bawled convincingly

''Do your jobs.''

"Well mook, francis didnt let us down last seaon (imo), showing what quality is in a top league. Yet mcveigh wasnt to be seen all season."

EH????

McVeigh wasn''t to be seen, because he wasn''t played! Jarvis, Crowe (where is he now?), Jonson, Huckerby and even Svensson were tried on the wing to avoid playing McVeigh. And yet, when he did play against Man U, he scored.

And if you think Francis didn''t let us down all season, just ask youself this - where was he when he wasn''t scoring the odd goal? Jogging around, scratching his lazy behind while Holt was left to look an absolute fool. Francis'' one decent all-round game was Newcastle away, and he never recreated that form again.

This whole debate just reminds me of "Andy Cole needs six chances before he scores a goal" rubbish.

He obviously doesn''t, but if you throw enough mud it will eventually stick. And McVeigh is tarnished with the "inconsistent" tag - name three games you can remember where Paul McVeigh played badly.

beelsie, with respect to a couple of your points, I''m not sure these monkeys can learn with Worthington at the helm. It had me literally picturing a new generation of monkeys being taught by Nigel how to unpeel a banana. If you step aside Nigel, I would bet the monkeys will start to get to the "fruit" pretty quickly.

As to your point on McVeigh, obviously there are some different views expressed on this front but, even if the negative view on McVeigh is correct, then for goodness sake why hasn''t Worthington dealt with it long since. Does it take a whole career for a manager to arrive at a decision that says "This player does not meet my needs."

[quote user="Mook"]

"Well mook, francis didnt let us down last seaon (imo), showing what quality is in a top league. Yet mcveigh wasnt to be seen all season."

EH????

McVeigh wasn''t to be seen, because he wasn''t played! Jarvis, Crowe (where is he now?), Jonson, Huckerby and even Svensson were tried on the wing to avoid playing McVeigh. And yet, when he did play against Man U, he scored.

And if you think Francis didn''t let us down all season, just ask youself this - where was he when he wasn''t scoring the odd goal? Jogging around, scratching his lazy behind while Holt was left to look an absolute fool. Francis'' one decent all-round game was Newcastle away, and he never recreated that form again.

This whole debate just reminds me of "Andy Cole needs six chances before he scores a goal" rubbish.

He obviously doesn''t, but if you throw enough mud it will eventually stick. And McVeigh is tarnished with the "inconsistent" tag - name three games you can remember where Paul McVeigh played badly.

[/quote]

Name One game when McVeigh played badly whilst all around him were having good games!!

Worthy doesnt like him because hammy signed him!!! im convinced!

isnt he the only player who hammy signed who''s still at the club????

jas :)

I for one will be very annoyed if wly doesnt get a contract he is happy with to keep hi m at the club.His passing is excellent and he links play to our front players very well as well as scoring enough for himself.Some players are poor trainers but if they perform on match day that is were it really needs to be.Its a shame worthy or the coaching staff dont take a different view to training given all the injuries we have had from the training ground this year something definately needs changing there. 

All these theories are fine, but only one fits the facts that we know.

• If Worthy didn''t "like" McVeigh, he''s have sold him long since. He''s hanging on to him because he appreciates how talented he is. He is the most talented player at the club, bar none. But Worthy''s sick of the laziness, so he tells the world. A manager cannot force players to do more than the minimum - see the Sol Campbell/ Arsene Wenger situation for a recent example.
  • If McVeigh resented that or thought it was unfair, he''d have gone long since.
  • If McVeigh really wanted to play football, he wouldn''t have retired from international football with N. Ireland. He''d have had the opportunity to show the world his talent, as the one shining light in a very mediocre squad.
  • The best thing to do is to take up the 1-year option, and hope that McVeigh values his career a bit more as he gets older.

And the crap about Worthy not liking him because Hamilton bought him is just pathetic. Find a different stick to beat Worthington with. There are plenty lying around just now.