Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Daily Mail......latest thoughts

29 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Seen someone online claim to have inside information that all league leaders will be announced champion / promoted and all bottom clubs relegated. 

If true we would launch legal action without question. Does anyone objectively think that could be a fair solution? Norwich are about to play weaker sides and may he picking up points on Villa who lost 4-0 to a team we beat. 

give your brain a squirt of that stuff

it might get it working again ..... perhaps

5 minutes ago, Bill said:

give your brain a squirt of that stuff

it might get it working again ..... perhaps

Hah. Clever man...

Not advocating it but another opinion I’ve seen that isn’t represented here. I find it believable their looking for legitimate ways to give Liverpool in particular the title. 

The thinking in Italy is to push Uefa to postpone this summers Euros to try and complete this season in the summer. I’ve no idea how feasible that would be even if this virus has gone by then. What happens with players contracts? Any season completion must have the same squads, some players will have signed pre contracts with Other clubs. What happens with the players fitness levels? You can’t put players into a full in competitive match without the necessary pre season after such a long lay off, it would increase the risk of injury for them. 

4 minutes ago, JF said:

The thinking in Italy is to push Uefa to postpone this summers Euros to try and complete this season in the summer. I’ve no idea how feasible that would be even if this virus has gone by then. What happens with players contracts? Any season completion must have the same squads, some players will have signed pre contracts with Other clubs. What happens with the players fitness levels? You can’t put players into a full in competitive match without the necessary pre season after such a long lay off, it would increase the risk of injury for them. 

Ludicrous, some do not understand how long this will last.

Just now, ricardo said:

Ludicrous, some do not understand how long this will last.

I can’t see any possible solution to this that isn’t cancel the season. And that’s not just me wanting it cancelled for our clubs position, which obviously I do. But it’s the only solution to an unprecedented problem. I appreciate they will try to come up with every other solution and legally they probably have to but time and circumstances will render this irrelevant. 

41 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Hah. Clever man...

Not advocating it but another opinion I’ve seen that isn’t represented here. I find it believable their looking for legitimate ways to give Liverpool in particular the title. 

your previous post had said it was going to happen

now it is they could be looking

so here's a thought

the 'shut down' is barely a few days long, so I hardly think there has been any discussion whatsoever, if only that whatever is proposed will have to have been agreed by the various boards of directors

I suspect you are just trying to get soem perverse pleasure out of posting such foolish nonsense..... as we both know 😉

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

your previous post had said it was going to happen

now it is they could be looking

so here's a thought

the 'shut down' is barely a few days long, so I hardly think there has been any discussion whatsoever, if only that whatever is proposed will have to have been agreed by the various boards of directors

I suspect you are just trying to get soem perverse pleasure out of posting such foolish nonsense..... as we both know 😉

?

Attached is image of original post. Please point out where I said something would happen? Just sharing something I had seen.  
Or are you getting perverse pleasure out of belittling people on the internet?

DBF6A072-E55F-49D0-B205-3370C7D59CE7.jpeg

It appears some just like a kneejerk response rather than actually reading what people say.

Incidentally, I just listened to the ‘football daily’ bbc podcast - the talk is very much still about finishing the season at some point whenever it can restart, however late it is, with any knock-on (eg a shorter season somehow?) in season 20/21.  Euro 2020 needs to be deferred first, at Tuesday’s meeting, but that’s surely a given.   It is certainly a bit of a mess and going to be hard to come up with a concerted agreed plan with no legal stuff following.

Imo any stuff about player contracts +/or transfer windows is a red herring, things will just be assumed to be extended/altered 

Edited by Branston Pickle

Surely this can be linked in with the World Cup in Qatar, move everything over by how many months needed. A new season could start after the Cup Final

Yup, if you assume 2022 World Cup is a (relatively) fixed point and work back, you can presumably sort it...we were always going to have a weird season then anyway.

Edited by Branston Pickle

4 hours ago, ricardo said:

But that is no more than delaying a game hoping the fog might clear in time to finish. In this case we can be fairly certain there will be no timely restart.

I agree but that doesn't mean the legal argument will not be used. That is not how the law the law works. In case it needs spelling out again I don't think there is any chance of the season being restarted (actually if the latest forecast is correct one wonders about the next season as well but...) and I am not advocating the 22-club solution. Only pointing out that as far as I can see it has no more drawbacks than any of the other supposed solutions and is certainly not completely unworkable.

7 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I agree but that doesn't mean the legal argument will not be used. That is not how the law the law works. In case it needs spelling out again I don't think there is any chance of the season being restarted (actually if the latest forecast is correct one wonders about the next season as well but...) and I am not advocating the 22-club solution. Only pointing out that as far as I can see it has no more drawbacks than any of the other supposed solutions and is certainly not completely unworkable.

The real question is not the absurd nonsense above but the income streams coming to the TV companies. If the games are not being shown will advertisers sponsors have a reason for reduced payments. Which if so would that mean the TV companies defaulting on their payments to the clubs. What happens to STs who have paid to watch 18 games ?

It is the commercial side of this that is going to be the real problem - and the idea that the PL would embark on further legal complications by trying to gerrymander things by admitting two clubs who have not qualified can only be the result of some poor soul trying to get a perverse pleasure by posting up a rather feeble attempt at a wind up

On 15/03/2020 at 16:51, PurpleCanary said:

For what it is worth, being no expert at all in sports/contract law, my amateur view is this.

It seems the PL as a body - not sure if that is just the executives or the clubs as well - is still determined somehow to play the season to an end. Like other posters I think the short- and medium-term chronological and logistical difficulties of that are enormous, especially if the other four major European leagues decide to void and start afresh in the autumn.

It would also be based on the perilous assumption that the virus had been eradicated from football by, say, the beginning of August, and could not possibly reappear while the final matches were being played. The one advantage over the other solutions is that it would, I think, avoid all legal challenges.

Pure voiding and starting in August or September, with the four divisions comprised of the teams from this season, seems the neatest and most hassle-free plan. But I would be surprised if it did not create a flood of legal challenges from those clubs potentially missing out on promotion.

Calling a halt with clubs as they are and relegating those in the bottom three and promoting the top three from the Championship, and so on down the pyramid, would undoubtedly face legal challenges from those relegated and those in and around the play-off zones.

The variant to that plan, of having no relegation but allowing promotion for those clubs in the automatic slots, would no doubt also be challenged. But the challenges would be fewer and less forceful than those prompted by the basic 'calling a halt' plan.

Finally, I do not see how any English plan can work unless it is in synch with the other major leagues. They all either have to carry on and try to finish,, or all scrap this season and start in the autumn as if this has all been a dream. I gather it worked for the Dallas scriptwriters and since football is pretty much a soap opera...

In totally unsurprising news The Times is reporting that the top six in the Championship have already met with a view to legal action if pure voiding is implemented and there is no promotion to the PL.

The longer this goes on the more irrelevant the league tables become. The season is broken, it cannot be put back together again.

What the top 6 in the championship have to say or how many meetings they have will become increasingly unimportant. 

In my Sun Football Yearbook from 1971.

Sheffield United and Leicester promoted

Norwich 10th and Watford 18th Div 2

AV 4th Div 3

Anyways it was 22 in Div 1

League 1971.jpg

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

In totally unsurprising news The Times is reporting that the top six in the Championship have already met with a view to legal action if pure voiding is implemented and there is no promotion to the PL.

Any legal challenge will surely be doomed. People are losing their lives and it is only going to get worse. Nobody's fault so how could a court find someone to blame. Ain't gonna happen. Cancel the lot and start again. In August. Teams start with points they have now and effectively play others 4 times over 2 seasons. That way Liverpool will have a huge advantage which they may well sustain over the course of another season.  

3 minutes ago, canarycop said:

Any legal challenge will surely be doomed. People are losing their lives and it is only going to get worse. Nobody's fault so how could a court find someone to blame. Ain't gonna happen. Cancel the lot and start again. In August. Teams start with points they have now and effectively play others 4 times over 2 seasons. That way Liverpool will have a huge advantage which they may well sustain over the course of another season.  

But some teams will only have played each other three times.

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

But some teams will only have played each other three times.

True but can add those in over the course of a season. Few extra games but those at the top get paid enough. Either that or cancel the whole lot and start again

3 minutes ago, canarycop said:

Yes people are losing their lives and yes it will get worse. But sooner or later, and it may quite a lot later, there will be some kind of solution proposed, and I cannot see any one of those so far mooted not being challenged in the courts.

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

The longer this goes on the more irrelevant the league tables become. The season is broken, it cannot be put back together again.

They're now talking about a possible lock down of up to 18 months so whether there is football or not it is the least of our worries.

26 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

They're now talking about a possible lock down of up to 18 months so whether there is football or not it is the least of our worries.

Quite right MP

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Yes people are losing their lives and yes it will get worse. But sooner or later, and it may quite a lot later, there will be some kind of solution proposed, and I cannot see any one of those so far mooted not being challenged in the courts.

except a unilateral agreement to suspend football (as with so much else) and void the season will be challengred by who

there would be no grounds for a legal challenge as those making the decision would be those challenging

..............themselves🙄

Edited by Bill

Legal challenges for what?

Football and Football Clubs will have to be like everything else and everybody else and just take it on the chin.

Anybody taking anybody else to court over this will be wasting their time and money because it doesn't stand a cat in hells chance of being successful.

This season is over, finished, done and the 2020/21 season is also in doubt.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Legal challenges for what?

Football and Football Clubs will have to be like everything else and everybody else and just take it on the chin.

Anybody taking anybody else to court over this will be wasting their time and money because it doesn't stand a cat in hells chance of being successful.

This season is over, finished, done and the 2020/21 season is also in doubt.

I agree that this season cannot be completed, although it seems there some influential voices in Uefa who don't want to believe that. And I agree that there must be serious doubt about when football can start again.

But when it does there will have to be a decision about the composition of the various divisions, because of this uncompleted season, and I have yet to see a made-up solution that does not involve some clubs having grounds to argue that they have unfairly lost out, either by being relegated or being denied promotion.

This is not a question of that pathetic notion of thinking football is more important than life or death. But eventually, when the death threat has passed, or been severely curtailed, life will get back as much as possible to normal. That will include football, and it is naive to think there will not be legal action by clubs that think they have been arbitrarily punished.

Edited by PurpleCanary

How can a club take legal action on an event that hasn’t actually played out? No one has been promoted yet, no one has been relegated. I can’t see how any legal action on those grounds stands a hope in hell with the circumstances at the moment. This time last season Villa were 10th and Leeds top 2. There is far too much yet to play for any presumptions other than Liverpool would have won the league 

30 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

Well, they have the Duckworth-Lewis method in cricket, don't they ......

I don’t think there’s many statistical methods that would see us staying up - we could have a go though🤔🙂

Oddly enough, the guy on football daily or whatever it is, did a couple of models using ‘expected’ results and something else - obv we were bottom in both, but one had West Ham relegated so it’s not surprising Brady was so adamant the season should be binned!

Postponing the Euros counts as a predictable and fruitless decision, given that apparently the aim includes allowing for this season to be finished. But I hope Uefa have realised that the new start date of June 11 2021 comes just three days after scheduled European qualifying matches for the 2022 World Cup.

2 minutes ago, JF said:

How can a club take legal action on an event that hasn’t actually played out? No one has been promoted yet, no one has been relegated. I can’t see how any legal action on those grounds stands a hope in hell with the circumstances at the moment. This time last season Villa were 10th and Leeds top 2. There is far too much yet to play for any presumptions other than Liverpool would have won the league 

What next ?

Players sueing themselves for failing to score a penalty.

What you an almost everyone else says is correct. This is something that is way beyond control of football so there is no case for legal action, however much anyone feels they have 'lost out'.

Legal action is pretty much based on the tort of negligence, maladministration, not honouring contracts etc

Proving that a wrong was commited - not how jolly 'unfair it all is'