Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Daily Mail......latest thoughts

11 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

I would assume that the lower divisions have promotion and no relegation too. So 2 promoted from championship being replaced by 2 from league one but none going down.  Repeated throughout 

Same number in championship. Fulham and forest miss out but no worse off than if the league were void and two top teams are not competing next year. Why would they challenge an enlarged premier league solution? 

It just won't wash. Too much wishful thinking by the likes of Leeds and WBA plus others. Unless you are already home and hosed in an auto-spot or beyond hope and already relegated no team or club can be promoted or relegated.

Season is over as Ricardo says. All it needs is to be formalized which will happen at the next meeting no doubt so all can plan and start again. New season to start as if this never happened in the autumn at the earliest. FA cup may complete then as well.

We might still have an excellent year yet! Farke's little miracle may know no bounds (not sure he's done a deal with him above or below yet 😉

Edited by Yellow Fever

10 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

I would assume that the lower divisions have promotion and no relegation too. So 2 promoted from championship being replaced by 2 from league one but none going down.  Repeated throughout 

Same number in championship. Fulham and forest miss out but no worse off than if the league were void and two top teams are not competing next year. Why would they challenge an enlarged premier league solution? 

There are lots of teams in all divisions still with a theoretical chance of promotion. Why would they be happy with the present top two being promoted.

As for a temporarily expanded Premier League, I agree with Bill insofar as there will be many votes against it. I am not sure what powers UEFA have so it may well be imposed from above to keep all European leagues in sync. What does seem almost impossible to me however is the idea that we will play out this season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ricardo said:

There are lots of teams in all divisions still with a theoretical chance of promotion. Why would they be happy with the present top two being promoted

Because if the only alternative is a void sesson they still wont get promoted.  They will slightly prefer the enlarged premierleage option as it will increase the chances of promotion next season.

Agreed that the sticking point is likely to be the premier league as I am not sure what clubs would vote to allow Leeds and west brom in and increase relegation next year.

11 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Because if the only alternative is a void sesson they still wont get promoted.  They will slightly prefer the enlarged premierleage option as it will increase the chances of promotion next season.

Agreed that the sticking point is likely to be the premier league as I am not sure what clubs would vote to allow Leeds and west brom in and increase relegation next year.

Quite. Scrapping the season means no-one gets promoted. The 22-club PL variant of calling a halt at least means two clubs get promoted and as far as the Championship goes increases the chances of the likes of Fulham of going up next time. I have no idea what will happen, except believing the season cannot go on to be finished properly, but the idea that voiding this season is a neat solution that won't attract legal challenges doesn't stand up.

48 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Quite. Scrapping the season means no-one gets promoted. The 22-club PL variant of calling a halt at least means two clubs get promoted and as far as the Championship goes increases the chances of the likes of Fulham of going up next time. I have no idea what will happen, except believing the season cannot go on to be finished properly, but the idea that voiding this season is a neat solution that won't attract legal challenges doesn't stand up.

Legal challenge, on what basis ?

That is out of line with what is happening elsewhere around the world ? That it is an action voted on by it's members ?

Look back at the voided Grand National- that is what will happen.

The idea that there can be a resolution where an arbitary selection is made that benefots two clubs moving from one legal entity is beyond absurdity - espiecally when it means breaking the accepted rules/contracts.

When games are postpond due to bad weather affecting play is the result allowed to strand ?

And the idea would require a shortage of two teams in one league somewhere down the list.

What the happens with TV money. The 20 would have to forgo 10% of their income to pay the enlarged league as neither SKy,BT could be expected to stump up more given they are tied with existing contracts.

How would that 10% cut affect club's abilities to meet wage bills- that again have already been agreed.

The whole idea of simply inviting two clubs into a then enlarged PL demonstrates how some folk don't think their ideas through.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

more a case of that's how it will be, as there is little else that can be done

none of us know how things will be. though if it is ok to finish off the season then fine

however as that is looking less and less likely, the only real solution is to void it all and start again when it is considered safe enough to do so

concentrate on dealing with this, look after yourself and maybe more importantly those who will benefit from you helping them to look after themselves - and accept that all football will be the loser in some way, rather than trying to 'put things right'

ps a good find, Til

23 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

The lengths we all go to in order to stop Leeds United getting promoted is getting ridiculous. Bat based viruses.

There is no step that is too far👍

20 minutes ago, Bill said:

1) Legal challenge, on what basis ?

That is out of line with what is happening elsewhere around the world ? That it is an action voted on by it's members ?

Look back at the voided Grand National- that is what will happen.

The idea that there can be a resolution where an arbitary selection is made that benefots two clubs moving from one legal entity is beyond absurdity - espiecally when it means breaking the accepted rules/contracts.

When games are postpond due to bad weather affecting play is the result allowed to strand ?

2) And the idea would require a shortage of two teams in one league somewhere down the list.

What the happens with TV money. The 20 would have to forgo 10% of their income to pay the enlarged league as neither SKy,BT could be expected to stump up more given they are tied with existing contracts.

How would that 10% cut affect club's abilities to meet wage bills- that again have already been agreed.

3) The whole idea of simply inviting two clubs into a then enlarged PL demonstrates how some folk don't think their ideas through.

1) On the basis that clubs down the pyramid are being unfairly denied promotion because the PL could finish the season if it allowed for a long enough delay. The point being that the PL has opened the door to just that legal argument by having this initial short delay purportedly to try to finish the season. Not a follower of racing but I don't believe you have promotion and relegation in the Grand National.

2) No it wouldn't, at least not in the four top divisions. it might once you got to non-league.

3) Well I have thought it through, as has the chairman of Brighton and Hove Albion, and while it has drawbacks I don't see any that are insuperable, and cetainly none that are more difficult to overcome than those all the other supposed solutions have. There is not a flawless and legally free-from-challenge solution here.

5 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

1) On the basis that clubs down the pyramid are being unfairly denied promotion because the PL could finish the season if it allowed for a long enough delay. The point being that the PL has opened the door to just that legal argument by having this initial short delay purportedly to try to finish the season. Not a follower of racing but I don't believe you have promotion and relegation in the Grand National.

2) No it wouldn't, at least not in the four top divisions. it might once you got to non-league.

3) Well I have thought it through, as has the chairman of Brighton and Hove Albion, and while it has drawbacks I don't see any that are insuperable, and cetainly none that are more difficult to overcome than those all the other supposed solutions have. There is not a flawless and legally free-from-challenge solution here.

I think the best solution is null and void ,give Liverpool the title but still finish the fa cup.😬

5 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

But that is no more than delaying a game hoping the fog might clear in time to finish. In this case we can be fairly certain there will be no timely restart.

1 minute ago, Canary dwarf said:

I think the best solution is null and void ,give Liverpool the title but still finish the fa cup.😬

Surely null and void means there is no title to give - you can't win a title for a season which in effect has never happenerd (null and void), just as you can't be relegated either!

4 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Surely null and void means there is no title to give - you can't win a title for a season which in effect has never happenerd (null and void), just as you can't be relegated either!

If Liverpool were only one point ahead or one point behind would we even be having this discussion.

Nul and void it.

4 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Apparently if every club in the prem agree to Liverpool being awarded the title ,then it can happen.

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

If Liverpool were only one point ahead or one point behind would we even be having this discussion.

Nul and void it.

No of course not but 25 is enormous .

1 minute ago, Canary dwarf said:

Apparently if every club in the prem agree to Liverpool being awarded the title ,then it can happen.

Decisions made need to be by a minimum 14 of the 20 clubs

1 minute ago, Bill said:

Decisions made need to be by a minimum 14 of the 20 clubs

Well if that's the case it will deffo happen.

11 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

No need for that. If you wanted to be the most famous club in EPL history, being the only club ever to be denied the Title by the fact the season was declared null and void would assure you of your unquestioned uniqueness. It will still be brought up 50 years from now when Man City and Chelsea and Man Utd's repeated success, and Arsenal's unbeaten season have been forgotten about. And what a perfect match for Scouser Victimization Syndrome, because this time it would actually be true. Gain the Title and display a silver pot, or be denied the Title and gain football immortality. Latter is so much better. Euro & World Champs, "The Immortals"

Edited by Surfer
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

eh ?

what on earth are you one about

this is not a decision taken unilaterraly by the PL - it is by the FL, EUFA etc therefore there would be no case for legal action whereas your idea that one body (PL0 could decide for all is nonsense

and any increase in numbers has to mean a reduction further down the chain...whatever you might claim

and it is a measure of the idiocy that you use the words of a football chairman - perhaps you could tell us what the chairman of Leeds and WBA are thinking

and the Grand National is an example where an event that has statrted can be ended, then voided - no legal challenge as it was the right thing to do - whereas had there been an attempt to award finished places without the race finishing then that would be where legal challenges would have arisen, much as they would with your rather bizarre idea of 'gerrymandering'

Until we reach a peak here, and that is going to be guesswork if we don't test, then the only decision that can be made is to null and void. I cannot see how anyone will be satisfied with wait and see what happens. The FA, they are the proper authority not the EPL, need to make a decision this week and stick with it. And if the EPL try and alter things then the Government will have to step in and tell them.

This nation is becoming a joke. I have just spoken to my Brother in Law who is in Jalon in Spain and they are in lockdown but it isn't the problem many make it out to be. They can go to the Pharmacy and Supermarket. That is all they need. Finances will be sorted out.

16 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Until we reach a peak here, and that is going to be guesswork if we don't test, then the only decision that can be made is to null and void. I cannot see how anyone will be satisfied with wait and see what happens. The FA, they are the proper authority not the EPL, need to make a decision this week and stick with it. And if the EPL try and alter things then the Government will have to step in and tell them.

This nation is becoming a joke. I have just spoken to my Brother in Law who is in Jalon in Spain and they are in lockdown but it isn't the problem many make it out to be. They can go to the Pharmacy and Supermarket. That is all they need. Finances will be sorted out.

The Spanish are threatened with fines of €500 to €2000 and prison for breaking the lock down. Police are patrolling and enforcing. They all had a letter from the PM. 

Screenshot_2020-03-15-17-08-11.jpg

19 minutes ago, Chumino said:

Tabbaconists are open though, aswell as banks, supermarkets and pharmacies. 

When I go to Spain I am mainly interested in other outlets such as the bars, restaurants and beaches. They are all closed so not much point in going.

Seen someone online claim to have inside information that all league leaders will be announced champion / promoted and all bottom clubs relegated. 

If true we would launch legal action without question. Does anyone objectively think that could be a fair solution? Norwich are about to play weaker sides and may he picking up points on Villa who lost 4-0 to a team we beat. 

1 minute ago, WD40 said:

Seen someone online claim to have inside information that all league leaders will be announced champion / promoted and all bottom clubs relegated. 

If true we would launch legal action without question. Does anyone objectively think that could be a fair solution? Norwich are about to play weaker sides and may he picking up points on Villa who lost 4-0 to a team we beat. 

Obviously nonsense.

9 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Never ever going to happen. Can’t relegate a team when the season hasn’t been played out. Of all the scenarios mentioned this is the one that definitely won’t happen 

14 minutes ago, WD40 said:

You mean arbitrarily give Leeds the title over West Brom....let Barnsley go down and not Luton....

.....give Crewe the title over Swindon 

.....etc etc? 

Who has come up with those decisions?!

I don’t think the season will restart but there’s surely more chance of that happening than this ‘one up’ scenario - imo it is a total non starter for many reasons (which oddly makes it more likely given how things often pan out!)

Edited by Branston Pickle

22 minutes ago, WD40 said:

No way will this happen .😄