Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

Sport can continue

Horse Racing - Televised Escalado.

Grand Prix - one of those massive scalextrix that they had a Butlins when I was a kid.

Football - Managers play subbuteo to complete the final fixtures of the season.

Olympics - That daley Thompson arcade game.

Golf - That free game used to get on a PC, the one where you kept playing the 17th from Sawgrass.

Rugby - None cares so forget it.

12 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Horse Racing - Televised Escalado.

Grand Prix - one of those massive scalextrix that they had a Butlins when I was a kid.

Football - Managers play subbuteo to complete the final fixtures of the season.

Olympics - That daley Thompson arcade game.

Golf - That free game used to get on a PC, the one where you kept playing the 17th from Sawgrass.

Rugby - None cares so forget it.

Glad you didn't fall into the trap of classifying cricket as a sport - if anyone does feel the need to replace cricket with something - you could always try competitive sandwich making against the family. Far more exciting, requires a much higher level of athleticism, way more action and doesn't take a month to complete a fixture.

2 hours ago, kick it off said:

Glad you didn't fall into the trap of classifying cricket as a sport - if anyone does feel the need to replace cricket with something - you could always try competitive sandwich making against the family. Far more exciting, requires a much higher level of athleticism, way more action and doesn't take a month to complete a fixture.

Then eat them in a tea break.

😐

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

I'm also expecting ITV to bring back 'Indoor League'.

The Arm Wrestling and Shove Ha'penny, them was proper sport. I'll sithee!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Indoor_League

There's a thriving Bar Billiards league in Norwich, which is still going ahead despite the virus!

🤗
2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Ah, the good old days.

Who can forget the heady excitement of all the family participating in a 'Pong' tournament.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pong

If anyone is a similar vintage to me (around 40), I've recently found out that there's a new version of the Amiga arcade classic 'Sensible World of Soccer', fully updated with 2020 squads. What's better, it's totally free to download and play, and is constantly getting updated with new patches! They even have both online and real-life tournaments, with real trophies and everything:

www.sensiblesoccer.de

• Thanks 1

It's a shame SWOS was before the days of competitive computer games, give me a keyboard and some pre-BBC Jonathan Pearce commentary and I wouldve ruled the world...

@Pete Raven, I'm still getting these silly emojis when I quote other people's posts. Also, I wanted to go into the previous post to edit the URL and make it clickable, but I can't edit my own post. When I hover over the word 'Edit', it's not clickable. And neither is 'Quote', for some reason - @TIL 1010 said the other day that he couldn't quote one of my posts, so there's definitely something odd going on with my profile...

2 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

It's a shame SWOS was before the days of competitive computer games, give me a keyboard and some pre-BBC Jonathan Pearce commentary and I wouldve ruled the world...

Download it, mate! I'm still using keyboard rather than a joypad, and Career Mode is an absolute joy.

One of my mates is actually on the development team for SWOS 2020, and I'm very keen to get more local people involved - we could even do a local tournament if enough people get into it (or an online one for exiles, of course).

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

@Pete Raven, I'm still getting these silly emojis when I quote other people's posts. Also, I wanted to go into the previous post to edit the URL and make it clickable, but I can't edit my own post. When I hover over the word 'Edit', it's not clickable. And neither is 'Quote', for some reason - @TIL 1010 said the other day that he couldn't quote one of my posts, so there's definitely something odd going on with my profile...

Test. Quoting FTW's post. 😀

Just now, A Load of Squit said:

Test. Quoting FTW's post. 😀

Thanks mate. Can you quote the one above that, where I mention bar billiards?

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

Thanks mate. Can you quote the one above that, where I mention bar billiards?

Nothing happens when I hit the 'Quote' button for that one.

2 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Nothing happens when I hit the 'Quote' button for that one.

Nope, me neither 😞

49 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Why not have the football managers play football manager? It even packages highlights up for the telly automatically...

With our young squad one of them must be great at FIFA on the PS4

4 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

It was about 3 posts in total over a couple of weeks wolfie.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

It was about 3 posts in total over a couple of weeks wolfie.

If it helps @Feedthewolf I tried to quote you as well after Tilly posted that and it didn't work for me either...

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Download it, mate! I'm still using keyboard rather than a joypad, and Career Mode is an absolute joy.

One of my mates is actually on the development team for SWOS 2020, and I'm very keen to get more local people involved - we could even do a local tournament if enough people get into it (or an online one for exiles, of course).

I had the original game-I was hoping it had something to do with Captain Sensible from The Damned!

As I remember you were able to do a lot of customising parts of the game. They also had a mad version based on World War One where the ball was a hand grenade 🤣

Edited by Mr Angry
Where for were

10 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

I had the original game-I was hoping it had something to do with Captain Sensible from The Damned!

As I remember you were able to do a lot of customising parts of the game. They also had a mad version based on World War One where the ball was a hand grenade 🤣

The war version of the game was a canon fodder crossover (both by sensible software) that they did for an Amiga magazine cover disk (Amiga power I think). 

I'm intrigued by this new version you mention @Feedthewolf, they did a new on in the early 00s that I was very excited when I saw it and then very disappointed when I actually bought it, it just didn't lend itself to increased graphics/realism...

1 hour ago, cornish sam said:

The war version of the game was a canon fodder crossover (both by sensible software) that they did for an Amiga magazine cover disk (Amiga power I think). 

I'm intrigued by this new version you mention @Feedthewolf, they did a new on in the early 00s that I was very excited when I saw it and then very disappointed when I actually bought it, it just didn't lend itself to increased graphics/realism...

Oh right, thanks, I either didn’t know that or had forgotten 👍

4 hours ago, cornish sam said:

It's all the original code from the Amiga version, the graphics are identical to the 90s version. It's totally authentic!

People are playing Football Manager in record numbers, prompting an article about Tonton Zola Moukoko, a player who was a legend on Championship Manager, the previous incarnation of the game, but sadly never made it due to a family tragedy.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51904874

I can't say I remember him that well but I do remember there were a load of Swedish players in one year who were available very cheaply but were world beaters-Stefan Ishizaki, Kim Kallstrom and Kennedy Bakircioglu.

On 15/03/2020 at 12:19, Feedthewolf said:

It's all the original code from the Amiga version, the graphics are identical to the 90s version. It's totally authentic!

I've downloaded it and been enjoying it today, thanks for the heads up. The keepers are better than I remember, I've not hit double figures yet, I think I had v1 of the pc CD ROM (as I don't remember the players having letters after their names, that was something I first saw on the console version of sensi I think) so it wouldn't surprise me if it were tweaked...

4 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

People are playing Football Manager in record numbers, prompting an article about Tonton Zola Moukoko, a player who was a legend on Championship Manager, the previous incarnation of the game, but sadly never made it due to a family tragedy.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51904874

I can't say I remember him that well but I do remember there were a load of Swedish players in one year who were available very cheaply but were world beaters-Stefan Ishizaki, Kim Kallstrom and Kennedy Bakircioglu.

In the last week, I must have spent at least 50 hours on it. 

It's probably good that I'm back working (from home) this week...