the clip below should be mandatory watching - to stop idiots wandering about looking like they are a hospital surgeon

I accept there is a good reason for certain suffolk people to wear masks........................ they are ugly

for the rest of us, there's no need

watch short clip

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-51881555/coronavirus-do-face-masks-actually-work

Edited by Bill

Just now, dylanisabaddog said:

Screwfix has sold out anyway 😂

dust masks 🤣

it's now selling garlic that can be worn around the neck

I will be selling my St Engreevsee charm that wards of 

'noxious fumees, vile pestilence and evil spirits of the air

which also cures ye danduffe and hairy ears (women only)

retailing at £89

You are wrong. The wearing of masks is one of the factors which has helped Taiwan to be the most successful country in the world in stopping the spread. 

a numpty or Dr Shunmay Yeung from London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine

hmmm 🤔

1 minute ago, Bill said:

a numpty or Dr Shunmay Yeung from London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine

hmmm 🤔

a bit aggressive...the evidence from Taiwan is there for all to see. Wearing masks helps stop people spreading the virus. 

no, there is no proof of the connection - as in the case of Norfolk where wearing masks is almost non existant as is cases of this virus

and it is not aggressive to refer to someone spreading false information liable to ramp up people's concerns as

a numpty

8 minutes ago, Bill said:

no, there is no proof of the connection - as in the case of Norfolk where wearing masks is almost non existant as is cases of this virus

and it is not aggressive to refer to someone spreading false information liable to ramp up people's concerns as

a numpty

the irony.  

You are incorrect O/P (but right about those most people are currently wearing.)

Proper N95 respirator masks are effective for protection.**

All masks,to a greater or lesser extent, prevent an infected person's breath and cough blobs spreading. 

Proper eye protectors are necessary along with N95 to prevent infection ... which enters through nose, throat and eyes.

Rubber gloves (disposable) are necessary when touching hard surfaces, eg atm number pads.

** Be careful of fakes on Amazon and especially EBay.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

of you claiming that an expert in the field is wrong but you with no evidence to back your claim are correct

whilst you guff may help you deal with this it does not help the wider problem

Taiwan among others acted very early using it's experience of SARS

where the concentration was on checking and monitoring - not some buffoonery that wearing a mask has any real effect... that is just a comfort blanket

it is the ignorance spread by the likes of you Trump and others that has contributedto the greater spread than it should have been

now why not refute what the doctor has said- or even tell us what Taiwan is actually doing

It says after about 55 seconds, "logically if you are not standing close to people and they are not coughing and sneezing then a face mask isn't necessary..."

My guess is that she doesn't use public transport in the rush hour!

3 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

You are incorrect O/P (but right about those most people are currently wearing.)

Proper N95 respirator masks are effective for protection.

All masks,to a greater or lesser extent, prevent an infected person's breath and cough blobs spreading. 

Precisely.They help a bit as part of a range of measures.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Proper N95 respirator masks are effective for protection.

Proper eye protectors are necessary along with N95 to prevent infection ... which enters through nose, throat and eyes.

nope, I am correct in fact otherwise I would not have posted what I did

along with that medical experts we have

Should I wear a respirator in public?

CDC does not recommend the routine use of respirators outside of workplace settings (in the community). Most often, spread of respiratory viruses from person-to-person happens among close contacts (within 6 feet). CDC recommends everyday preventive actions to prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, such as avoiding people who are sick, avoiding touching your eyes or nose, and covering your cough or sneeze with a tissue. People who are sick should stay home and not go into crowded public places or visit people in hospitals. Workers who are sick should follow CDC guidelines and stay home when they are sick.

I think I know whose expertise I trust

I think in an ideal world where there was no issue of shortages and everybody used the equipment correctly and took all the other corrective measures, that facemasks would slow the spread. But there are lots of caveats as I have suggested. The biggest clue comes later in the clip when the doctor suggests that panic buying would mean that those most in need - medical staff etc - would not be able to get the masks.

My guess is that it is a supply issue that does not exist in Taiwan.

It should also be borne in mind that the govt is not trying to stop the spread of the virus but control the speed of its spread to a cquire "herd immunity." Although the WHO today suggested that the science behind this approach is unproven.

There appears to be so much expertise. Believe what you want.

What mask do you suppose medics wear then?

Ignorance is bliss. it appears

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

My guess is that it is a supply issue that does not exist in Taiwan.

if you read the link I posted you'll see the government implemented strict rationing of masks here. children are required to wear them in schools and you cannot enter a hospital unless you are wearing one. Scientists and the WHO (from which we are banned due to those bullies in China) disagree on the usefulness of masks but to totally dismiss them is wrong in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

No wonder I'm happy 🙄😂

7 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

scraping the barrel now

the need for 'medics' even dentists to wear masks has long been known and accepted - just as it is not necessary for the non medic going about their business outside of hospitals etc to wear one

so stop being silly

wearing masks has had a greater usage in such Asian countries as a supposed protection against pollution so it has not been that difficult to convince people and to supply them

somewhile back the gormless were convinced that you needed to drinl a couple of buckets of water a day so we saw a huge number walking about carry water in bottles, before them people hung bits of rubber from their back bumper, as they did with beads on their car seat

this, almost. primevil need for some form of reassuance has been kith us since recorded time,................despite evidence to the contrary

I am talking about the medics who are dealing with coronavirus victims in hospitals. NOT the mask worn normally by surgeons or dentists.

"Surgeons and nurses performing clean surgery wear disposable face masks. The purpose of face masks is thought to be two-fold: to prevent the passage of germs from the surgeon's nose and mouth into the patient's wound and to protect the surgeon's face from sprays and splashes from the patient."

Two completely different products for two completely different situations. 

I have acquired N95 masks. I will wear one on appropriate occasions.

Others can please themselves. BUT if infected thyen it is a person's duty to waer a proper mask to prevent transmission. FACT

Edited by BroadstairsR

14 minutes ago, Taiwan Canary said:

if you read the link I posted you'll see the government implemented strict rationing of masks here. children are required to wear them in schools and you cannot enter a hospital unless you are wearing one. Scientists and the WHO (from which we are banned due to those bullies in China) disagree on the usefulness of masks but to totally dismiss them is wrong in my opinion. 

actually they don't disagree

what you are doing is confusing cause and effect

and to keep strict control of the population to deal with the virus enforcing certain regulations can be an effective means ofacceptance

just as gasmask carrying was in the UK in WW2, as was 'put that light out'

it is the early intervention learned from SARS, not face maks that has been effective - it maybe that your government has told that it is face masks, but it is not

read your own link,

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

I am talking about the medics who are dealing with coronavirus victims in hospitals. NOT the mask worn normally by surgeons or dentists.

"Surgeons and nurses performing clean surgery wear disposable face masks. The purpose of face masks is thought to be two-fold: to prevent the passage of germs from the surgeon's nose and mouth into the patient's wound and to protect the surgeon's face from sprays and splashes from the patient."

Two completely different products for two completely different situations. 

I have acquired N95 masks. I will wear one on appropriate occasions.

I think the hip phrase is

reverse ferret

"reverse ferret"  What the fcuk!

No point in debating with you is there?

A conclusion many others on this forum have long since come to.

Btw: I added something else later to the post you quoted.

Perhaps your expertise leads you to disagree with this as well. 

Now! I've had my say. Take it or leave it. We are all vulnerable and we are free to take whatever measures we wish.

Edited by BroadstairsR

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

actually they don't disagree

what you are doing is confusing cause and effect

and to keep strict control of the population to deal with the virus enforcing certain regulations can be an effective means ofacceptance

just as gasmask carrying was in the UK in WW2, as was 'put that light out'

it is the early intervention learned from SARS, not face maks that has been effective - it maybe that your government has told that it is face masks, but it is not

read your own link,

I said it was one of the factors. I too used to be sceptical about them but having seen the Taiwanese reaction to the virus I am convinced that they can help as part of a coordinated response. The (rather competent) Taiwanese government also seems to think so. Posting one expert's opinion on a public forum about football doesn't really tell the whole story. As I said expert opinion is actually divided on this issue.

I'm intrigued to know why you are so against them? Surely they can't do any harm?

15 minutes ago, Bill said:

read your own link,

Resource Allocation: Logistics and Operations

The CECC took an active role in resource allocation, including setting the price of masks and using government funds and military personnel to increase mask production. On January 20, the Taiwan CDC announced that the government had under its control a stockpile of 44 million surgical masks, 1.9 million N95 masks, and 1100 negative-pressure isolation rooms.

Communications and Politics

Reassure and Educate the Public, While Fighting Misinformation

In addition to daily press briefings by the minister of health and welfare the CECC, the vice president of Taiwan, a prominent epidemiologist, gave regular public service announcements broadcast from the office of the president and made available via the internet. These announcements included when and where to wear a mask, the importance of handwashing, and the danger of hoarding masks to prevent them from becoming unavailable to frontline health workers. The CECC also made plans to assist schools, businesses, and furloughed workers (eTable in the Supplement).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill said:

along with that medical experts we have

Should I wear a respirator in public?

CDC does not recommend the routine use of respirators outside of workplace settings (in the community). Most often, spread of respiratory viruses from person-to-person happens among close contacts (within 6 feet). CDC recommends everyday preventive actions to prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, such as avoiding people who are sick, avoiding touching your eyes or nose, and covering your cough or sneeze with a tissue. People who are sick should stay home and not go into crowded public places or visit people in hospitals. Workers who are sick should follow CDC guidelines and stay home when they are sick.

I think I know whose expertise I trust

wasn't it "experts" who told us 5 years ago that we should all buy diesel cars?

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Really ? I don’t remember that ever bothering you last time you were on here 🙂

Edited by ......and Smith must score.