Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

FA Chairman - season won't be completed

29 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

But as far as the top four leagues are concerned all the clubs currently in the automatic slots woukd go up and no-one would be relegated, so any legal challenges would be hard to argue.

Not at all, because it assumes a completed league which has not taken place. You cannot fairly base anything on a non completed league table.

30 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

If the season doesn’t get completed then I think that there should be no champions, promotion, or relegation as no teams are officially champions, promoted, or relegated yet - anything is possible and we might have stayed up. I also feel that a lot of our autumn results were down to injury - had Klose/Zimbo been fit when Amadou was playing I think we could have done better. Also ban all clubs from signing players who aren’t out of contract so teams can restart next season with how their squad would have looked in case they’d received no offers for players

The leagues would be in limbo for years while the lawyers coined it in. There is no way to resolve this other than declaring the season nul and void and sorting out finances to keep struggling clubs going.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ricardo said:

The leagues would be in limbo for years while the lawyers coined it in. There is no way to resolve this other than declaring the season nul and void and sorting out finances to keep struggling clubs going.

Liverpool are about 25 points clear and not won the league for 30 years so it can't happen.

Just now, Canary dwarf said:

Liverpool are about 25 points clear and not won the league for 30 years so it can't happen.

Tough $hit.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Fairly sure Sky’s t&cs allow them to vary the programmes being shown without the customer having much come back - as long as they air something else then I don’t think customers will have much come back. If they offer any refund I can’t see it being more than a proportionate amount for the part of the season cancelled. But most packages aren’t just for live games.

Would Sky want their money back? I doubt it. If they did, then the clubs and the EPL wouldn’t be very inclined to enter into any contracts with them in the future. Yes sky might get back a bit this season, but would probably lose in the long run.

I'm currently paying £20 a month for Skysports via NOW TV (it's supposed to be £34-35 a month but the last two times I've tried to cancel they offered me £20 a month) but will end up cancelling if realistically they haven't got any sport till September

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Not at all, because it assumes a completed league which has not taken place. You cannot fairly base anything on a non completed league table.

Pure logic says void this season, as if it never happened. Start the 2020-21 season in September, say, as if it was August 2019. If one could be sure that would not face serious legal challenges that would be fine. I would not bet on there being no challenges.

Yes, this plan is based on an incomplete season, and so lacks pure logic, but it has a practical cleverness and an appeal to voting clubs, particularly in the PL, to it, in that there are no losers, because no-one suffers relegation, and some clubs that might well have sued are bought off with promotion.

10 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Tough $hit.

Cost us Europe in '85!  Never forgive them, like they still try to pretend their fans didn't cause the deaths of Juve fans.  What goes around, comes around.

The thing about Leeds and wba is that they don't actually have a legal arguement, as the pl and EFL are technically separate competitions the promotion/relegation is essentially just an agreement between the two organisations to transfer members from one to the other, there is little to no legal basis underpinning it. This is why the EFL have been toothless in Pershing FPP against promoted teams, because they fear that the PL will just shut the shop...

56 minutes ago, Aggy said:

I believe the conference north and south were due to expand to 24 teams (from 22) starting 20/21 season. If you push that back a year, it could help accommodate the higher number of relegations needed to get back to current league sizes (if your plan above was followed).

Christ, I didn't know about that, but having googled it, it's true.

How on earth does a league that already has 42 games, at least two cup competitions, numerous games called off every season due to bad weather and a fixture pile-up every March/April think it's a good idea to add an extra four matches!?

The National League (and maybe even the EFL) should be looking to trim the calendar slightly, not add to it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Indy said:

I don’t have an issue with the season being called off, but I think a full transfer ban should be in place to insure no teams are allowed to strengthen either.

Why? Some clubs will have players out of contract that they need to replace / unemployed players will need to find a new club.

And if we're cancelling the season I don't want us to finish 20th at second attempt, and we haven't got enough quality to do much better.

Although I do believe that in the event that they do play the rest of this season in the summer that the transfer window shouldn't open until those games are completed (or at least, any new signings can't play in those games).

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

2 hours ago, Canary dwarf said:

It would be mega harsh on Liverpool though.

The two (possibly three?) Seasons of European competition the behaviour of their fans cost our club could have totally changed NCFC's trajectory. There's no doubt we would have a higher standing in the football world had they gone ahead. Karma.

1 hour ago, cornish sam said:

The thing about Leeds and wba is that they don't actually have a legal arguement, as the pl and EFL are technically separate competitions the promotion/relegation is essentially just an agreement between the two organisations to transfer members from one to the other, there is little to no legal basis underpinning it. This is why the EFL have been toothless in Pershing FPP against promoted teams, because they fear that the PL will just shut the shop...

Not sure about that, based on the custom-and-practice long-standing nature of the agreement. It certainly wouldn't stop Leeds and West Brom arguing it. The potentially piquant aspect of this is that by suspending the season the PL and the EFL may have made it more likely they will face legal challenges if the season is later simply voided.

By only suspending rather than voiding now and by in effect acknowledging that the season won't finish on time it opens the door to the claim that a longer suspension could see the season completed. Which it could. It would cause absolute chaos but it could be done.

Of course the real reason for the suspension is not to allow the season to be finished, but to give the authorities a week or so in which to decide how to void, but again that won't stop lawyers for the likes of Leeds. Which is why someone has dreamt up this promotion-but-no-relegation scheme.

Could we tie next season into this? Turn it into a two year, 76 game season. Only 10 games to catch up on, that’s a few midweek evening games. More of an issue for the lower divisions where they already play midweek games, but extend into the end of this summer/start of summer 21 and shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

I think there will be some very busy and rich lawyers once this lot eventually dies down. There will be breached contracts throughout the business world not just sport. Legal ranglings galore. It will take months if not years to finalise. 

Unless the death rate miraculously reduces over the next month we have to assume the 2020/21 season is in jeopardy. This season is over.

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Some fantastic ideas but I think we all know it will be voided.

It depends on what they do with the euros.

Just now, Canary dwarf said:

It does't. There is no possibility of the Euro's taking place this year.

No question in my mind at all that, as the corona virus spreads exponentially, there will be no other option but to void the season for all leagues. There is no possibility of compromise because all alternative solutions to this conundrum are too complicated and, if implemented, would cause delight for the few but acrimony for the many and a consequential plethora of lawsuits. As Ricardo already referenced yesterday, this season is over, it is no more, has ceased to be, it's bereft of life, it rests in peace ..... it is an ex-season. 

1 minute ago, Erraticus said:

No question in my mind at all that, as the corona virus spreads exponentially, there will be no other option but to void the season for all leagues. There is no possibility of compromise because all alternative solutions to this conundrum are too complicated and, if implemented, would cause delight for the few but acrimony for the many and a consequential plethora of lawsuits. As Ricardo already referenced yesterday, this season is over, it is no more, has ceased to be, it's bereft of life, it rests in peace ..... it is an ex-season. 

What’s complicated about tying this season into next and making it a 76 game season, matches to be ‘caught up’ with mid week games etc.? Surely that solves all problems. Looks like the players will be getting an extended ‘spring break’ for a while so should be refreshed!

14 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

UEFA will need to make an early decision and it's got to be cancellation.

Totally agree. Null and void

Zero chance of it renewing or being completed. We will live to fight another EPL season.

All that remains to be done is the formal announcement I guess in a few weeks.

1 minute ago, Aggy said:

What’s complicated about tying this season into next and making it a 76 game season, matches to be ‘caught up’ with mid week games etc.? Surely that solves all problems. Looks like the players will be getting an extended ‘spring break’ for a while so should be refreshed!

Not trying to be a smart-**** but I think you just answered your own question. IMO the ramifications of what you are suggesting are too complex and far-reaching to be feasible. 

The idea that you can just tag on the final quarter of the season in a few weeks time is strictly for the birds.

As the numbers swiftly ramp up over the coming days it will become apparent that any sort of resumption is months away, possibly not even this year. 

Report in the Telegraph

In bold and controversial plans, five teams could be relegated from the top flight and the EFL Cup axed completely in order to facilitate football when it resumes

Another proposal which may be placed on the table would be for the top two in the Championship, currently Leeds and West Brom, to be promoted and for 22 teams to compete in next season's Premier League. 

Voiding (not to mention the postponing of Euro 2020) became an absolute certainty the moment the government's chief health adviser said this would not peak until mid-June, although the voiding may include some finagling, such as the 22-team PL idea.

The only '...but...' is that because European football is so inter-connected the other four major leagues really have to void as well, with an agreed start date for the 2020-21 season of, say, the first weekend in September.

Just to add, any decision will be heavily influenced by the PL lawyers. If they say pure voiding is legally safest that is probably what will happen. If they say some finagled version (which has its attractions from a footballing perspective) is less likely to be seriously challenged then it may be adopted.

Edited by PurpleCanary

11 minutes ago, Erraticus said:

Not trying to be a smart-**** but I think you just answered your own question. IMO the ramifications of what you are suggesting are too complex and far-reaching to be feasible. 

Why are they?

They have to figure out a fixture list anyway. Adding in a few extra games isn’t going to be too difficult. The ramifications are far less concerning for every club than every other option. Null and void the season - everyone who doesn’t go up moans, everyone who earns less because they finished lower last season than it looks like they’ll finish this season moans, Liverpool moan. Freeze the table now and everyone who goes down moans, everyone who has a chance of going up but misses out moans.

This way, everyone is happy. Nobody loses out. Nobody unduly gains.