Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Prof Spector saying that infections may rise for a time in younger cohorts (schools etc) and unvaxed.

Older corts still in gentle decline.

Also of those in hospital with Covid, 52% are in for non Covid related disorders.

T'was ever thus........😀

• Haha 1

National

96,871 -  338

rate of decrease of  2.2%           1.44 million tests

Local

Norwich   West rate             640.3

N & N Patients

25-01-2022                                        83
24-01-2022 87
23-01-2022 91
22-01-2022 92
21-01-2022 100

Vax  

1st Dose           15,358                90.9% done                               Norwich numbers   79.2%        Booster rate 55.9%     

2nd Dose          30,919                 84% done                                                                 73.6%

Booster    54,464    total          37,104,942                64.5%   

In Hospital

26-01-2022                          16,510
25-01-2022 16,604
24-01-2022 17,204
23-01-2022 16,934
22-01-2022 16,970
21-01-2022 17,574

• Like 1

The decrease seems to have levelled off at the moment, I'm guessing that's mainly down to the return to school.

But as long as hospital numbers stay where they are (particularly given the point mentioned that half of those Covid numbers are actually in hospital for another reason) then things are ok.

Speaking personally, I currently know more people with Covid (or who've had it since Christmas) than at any other time in the pandemic, and some of them have felt pretty poorly even when it's the 2nd time they've had it, but (so far - fingers crossed)  none of them have been bad in the sense of having to go to hospital.

So I'd say it's definitely time to get on with life, being sensible but not worrying about it.  I'm planning to go to the Wolves game which is my 2nd game of the season 🙂 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Still virtually everyone wearing masks in Tesco this morning. Not sure if Tesco asked people to do it as Sainsbury did. Pasty shop still asking for observance.

Vat majority of people still wearing masks in the shops in Fareham area too. 

49 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Very interesting and an intelligent discussion of where we are now, and I agree, it's hard to disagree with what he says.

High numbers in Denmark but they now plan to lift nearly all restrictions. It should tell us something.

7 minutes ago, ricardo said:

High numbers in Denmark but they now plan to lift nearly all restrictions. It should tell us something.

I remember when Indie Sage used to drool over the Denmark response...

6 hours ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

Direct quote from the BBC - Research has found side-effects from the vaccines are rare. Last year, feedback from about 40,000 people found about one in three reported some side-effects.

1 in 3 is rare????!!!!!

What the survey said was  " None was serious - a common one was some soreness around the injection site " .

Who would have thought it , and who would think it was worth making a fuss about.

19 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Still virtually everyone wearing masks in Tesco this morning. Not sure if Tesco asked people to do it as Sainsbury did. Pasty shop still asking for observance.

When compulsion was lifted last time, at the start you could sense people looking around to see what others were doing.  I get the same impression now.  Why people can't decide for themselves is beyond me.

1 hour ago, benchwarmer said:

When compulsion was lifted last time, at the start you could sense people looking around to see what others were doing.  I get the same impression now.  Why people can't decide for themselves is beyond me.

Seems a weird assumption to make, clearly everybody does have to make their own decision whether or not to wear a mask but I don't find it at all surprising in the current situation that they are also taking note of what others are doing - doesn't mean they can't make their own decision.

Nor is it remotely surprising that just because our idiot PM tells people that they don't have to do something that it automatically makes it a bad idea to do it (quite the reverse in many cases) so I think what we are seeing now, and TBH for a long while now, is that people are making up their own minds about what they think is sensible to do or avoid, and that has worked in both directions as far as following, or not following, government rules/advice.

When the government themselves, from very early on (Barnard Castle), have been flagrantly breaking the rules they set then it is not surprising that the public start making up their own minds about how to behave so I think you are on completely the wrong track there.

The party-gate/lame duck government/Tory rebellion may be one of the better things that comes off the back of this virus. As the virus recedes some governments and authorities cling to the power they’ve brought on their citizens ours is at least terrified of rebellion from within its own party: 

Hopefully we’ll avoid vaccine passports and all manner of unnecessary control that some governments around the world are seeking. It’s amoral and transparently Orwellian. If you support it then we’ll done, you are one of the background characters screaming into the void in the two minutes of hate. A literal husk-person.

“having to show your papers to enter a coffee shop or a sports stadium is not how a functional society should work” if you disagree read that again and give your head a wobble. This is basic stuff you were taught in first school history. Authoritarianism and totalitarianism = bad. It’s not hard. Countries where this is brought in are crap countries and should be lauded as such.

live your life, pursue your interests, let children start to live in a world not ravaged by this disease. It’s torn their lives to pieces, the endless demand for some to feel safe cannot be allowed to continue unencumbered. We are already headed for a future of technological terrors and the right to privacy torn from us. Can we not enjoy one last snooze button press of relativistic freedom before it’s take from us entirely?

9 hours ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

Direct quote from the BBC - Research has found side-effects from the vaccines are rare. Last year, feedback from about 40,000 people found about one in three reported some side-effects.

1 in 3 is rare????!!!!!

A sore arm is a side effect. Don't panic.

10 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

What is it with waving national flags? Is it like people who think buying an A1 birthday card makes them love you more?

I'm waving my flag because I am a patriot and you are not because you haven't got one.

22 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

What is it with waving national flags? Is it like people who think buying an A1 birthday card makes them love you more?

I'm waving my flag because I am a patriot and you are not because you haven't got one.

Are regional flags ok? At what point does it cross your line?

24 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

My Mum caught me once. She said save it until you are married.

I had three jars full.

Thank god nobody was looking for the jar of tapioca 

2 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Old Billy used to post with one hand on the flagpole I suspect.

Yes, he did work up quite a froth at times😉

Blimey, I only came on these pages for Ricardo's 4pm update. Turns out that the update today is that bill came on here in a very different way, bless him.

Still it's character forming stuff and no doubt is inspiring his next creation.

More seriously I guess that the fact that things like this are being  discussed is proof that we are now in the 'new normal'  and we are putting 20/21 behind us (and obviously that the new normal is filled with *****)

• Haha 2

National

89,176 -  277

rate of decrease of  2.7%           1.28 million tests

Local

Norwich   West rate             605.7

N & N Patients

25-01-2022                                         83
24-01-2022 87
23-01-2022 91
22-01-2022 92

Vax  

1st Dose           15,706                90.9% done                               Norwich numbers   79.2%        Booster rate 56%     

2nd Dose          29,948                 84% done                                                                 73.6%

Booster    52,956    total          37,157,898                64.6%   

In Hospital

27-01-2022                                      16,149
26-01-2022 16,514
25-01-2022 16,608
24-01-2022 17,210