Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

Putin says Omicron may be a live vaccine. 

Rest of the world is trying to stop it spreading.

Limited testing in Russia but deaths look very worrying.

1 minute ago, Well b back said:

Press conference at 6pm

Can't see Plan B having any positive impact at all. The cat is out the bag. Working from home makes little difference as work environments are pretty sterile and safer than supermarkets and pubs.

I think I know how this will end up. 

8 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Can't see Plan B having any positive impact at all. The cat is out the bag. Working from home makes little difference as work environments are pretty sterile and safer than supermarkets and pubs.

Not too sure about that, maybe some are but plenty don't seem to be, plus there is the travel there & back especially for those that use public transport, viz the Underground.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Not too sure about that, maybe some are but plenty don't seem to be, plus there is the travel there & back especially for those that use public transport, viz the Underground.

Surely it has to be a question of slowing it - so called 'flattening the peak' if the NHS is to manage at all.

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

The precedent has been set so they will finish the season even if they have to call in the pools panel.

If you want to know in advance I can tell you now that we are relegated.😉

I think events are already overtaking them - Spuds having difficulty fielding a team etc.

Odds for all being at the next 2 home games?

Edited by Yellow Fever

55 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Given the way Johnson works perhaps the cat you speak of is one of his dead ones. The kind to deflect.

23 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Surely it has to be a question of slowing it - so called 'flattening the peak' if the NHS is to manage at all.

Yes absolutely, I was questioning @Capt. Pants suggestion that working from home will have no impact - seems very likely to me that it will have an impact on slowing the virus down.

It is one of the relatively painless measures, along with increased mask wearing, that should have been brought in some time ago to slow the virus down without having to resort to the more severe restrictions - restrictions which are now probably going to be required as well in the very near future.

As always, Johnson has dithered, fudged and done too little and far too late.

4 hours ago, Essjayess said:

Well, tried a walk in and no i couldnt get a jab straight away, they said i need to go thru my own GP practice to obtain official documentation. So then i rang my GP's practice and after a long and lengthy wait on the line finally got a Booster appointment for myself and my son...for January 8th.

Ive heard so many do this and do that conflicting reports about the Booster program and  it all seems very messy..now my son and i have a month long wait for our Booster but at least we now have a time thank goodness.

This kind of thing must be down to the local administration, surely ???  

I booked mine and OH's online down here in Portsmouth area and only had to wait two weeks - all now done a while back 

1 hour ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Yes absolutely, I was questioning @Capt. Pants suggestion that working from home will have no impact - seems very likely to me that it will have an impact on slowing the virus down.

It is one of the relatively painless measures, along with increased mask wearing, that should have been brought in some time ago to slow the virus down without having to resort to the more severe restrictions - restrictions which are now probably going to be required as well in the very near future.

As always, Johnson has dithered, fudged and done too little and far too late.

Actually given the present expected rapid rise in cases I suspect plan B is now too little too late. 

At least the kids break up in a week, students too.  However I'm suspicious that we'll be in a real mess in a couple of weeks with spiralling cases yet only then knowing the severity - too late to react if a poor prognosis.

Over 50's flat, over 60's and 70's still falling

Young'uns and lower vacinated cohorts still driving it.

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

Dr Campbell thinks its good news on Omicron

To be fair his report on hospital numbers in SA was a complete load of rubbish and his mate Ryan who said Omicron was less transmissible than Delta was quite worrying. 
We need to slow the numbers, simple as, to get those boosters in arms and first and second doses moving fast. Hopefully the vaccinating of the most vulnerable, the house bound, will begin next week, all be it 10 weeks later than it should be. The current data coming out of South Africa on paper is quite worrying, but in practice is likely to be totally different in Western countries. The government appears to have acted on the info coming out of Guateng, which is just as likely to be as right or as wrong as your guy, but let’s hope it’s wrong. Personally I suspect it will be somewhere in the middle, but of course if the vaccines don’t hold infections we could see one hell of a lot of infections, then we just need to hope ( no reason to suspect they won’t  ) Pfizer and Moderna hold up against severe disease. If they do and treatments work then it will be the western world getting back to normal in Spring and I have no reason to suspect the MRNA vaccines won’t do well. 

We are now at war with Ormicorn but as Vallance said today let’s prepare for the worse and hopefully it will be much better.

By the way I will be putting my trust in the vaccine at the weekend and attending FCR.

Hospitalizations in Omicron-hit South African province are RISING faster than in any previous wave with over 1,000 admissions in a week - as doctor warns: 'We shouldn't be seeing these kinds of numbers this early'

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Well b back said:

To be fair his report on hospital numbers in SA was a complete load of rubbish and his mate Ryan who said Omicron was less transmissible than Delta was quite worrying. 
We need to slow the numbers, simple as, to get those boosters in arms and first and second doses moving fast. Hopefully the vaccinating of the most vulnerable, the house bound, will begin next week, all be it 10 weeks later than it should be. The current data coming out of South Africa on paper is quite worrying, but in practice is likely to be totally different in Western countries. The government appears to have acted on the info coming out of Guateng, which is just as likely to be as right or as wrong as your guy, but let’s hope it’s wrong. Personally I suspect it will be somewhere in the middle, but of course if the vaccines don’t hold infections we could see one hell of a lot of infections, then we just need to hope ( no reason to suspect they won’t  ) Pfizer and Moderna hold up against severe disease. If they do and treatments work then it will be the western world getting back to normal in Spring and I have no reason to suspect the MRNA vaccines won’t do well. 

We are now at war with Ormicorn but as Vallance said today let’s prepare for the worse and hopefully it will be much better.

By the way I will be putting my trust in the vaccine at the weekend and attending FCR.

Hospitalizations in Omicron-hit South African province are RISING faster than in any previous wave with over 1,000 admissions in a week - as doctor warns: 'We shouldn't be seeing these kinds of numbers this early'

I'm always suspicious of 'social influencers'  - Dr. Campbell is actually a Ph.D in nursing - not a medical doctor.

I would agree what we know so far is high transmissibility - and as far as infections goes can certainly defeat 2 jabs. 3 as of tonight looks better.

As to severity that's still very much to be proved in our populations (and in winter too). At a guess I would suggest similar to previous but we can of course hope.

50 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Actually given the present expected rapid rise in cases I suspect plan B is now too little too late. 

At least the kids break up in a week, students too.  However I'm suspicious that we'll be in a real mess in a couple of weeks with spiralling cases yet only then knowing the severity - too late to react if a poor prognosis.

Have trust in the vaccine my friend. 
The booking app has crashed tonight, people are running scared of our new variant. What persuasion couldn’t do the fear of Ormicron is already working.

This could be the last battle.

8 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Have trust in the vaccine my friend. 
The booking app has crashed tonight, people are running scared of our new variant. What persuasion couldn’t do the fear of Ormicron is already working.

This could be the last battle.

Fear is a strong emotion and driver for some. I'm always positive that we have the means to defeat it but we need time and zero complacency which has been my bug-bear about Johnson and the 'it's gone away crowd let's party' all along. 

By th way - SA is 'summer' - It's not apparent to me how they could get more 'outdoors' there.

Edited by Yellow Fever

UK will be inundated by Omicron within weeks. Do not get sick for any reason or injured. Omicron doesn't have to be half as deadly as delta to completely overwhelm health care system.

Denmark has probably the best sequencing in the world. Two weeks until it takes the lead. This is real world data that says we are going into mother of all lockdowns.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/12/08/omicron-covid-cases-could-soon-exceed-one-million-day-says-sajid/?utm_content=telegraph&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1638997832-1

1 million cases a day coming our way by the end of the month 😂 bring it on! What a f***ing s***show!

I wonder if it will get to a point where we all just constantly have Covid.

2 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/12/08/omicron-covid-cases-could-soon-exceed-one-million-day-says-sajid/?utm_content=telegraph&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1638997832-1

1 million cases a day coming our way by the end of the month 😂 bring it on! What a f***ing s***show!

I wonder if it will get to a point where we all just constantly have Covid.

We do to a point, cold virus is a Covid isn’t it? 
Reality is we can’t stop this strain, you can try to put the brakes on, but it’ll go through the population at some point…..

Edited by Indy

36 minutes ago, Upo said:

Denmark has probably the best sequencing in the world. Two weeks until it takes the lead. This is real world data that says we are going into mother of all lockdowns.

who's footing the bill for this one? When does it end? When the entire world is at ZeroCovid? Then another pangolin will give us "Covid 20 - the squeakual"

Just now, Indy said:

We do to a point, cold virus is a Covid isn’t it?

1 million a day. If an infection period is 2 weeks then 20% of everyone will have it at 1 time.

If this really does come to fruition then jobs ****ed for the whole world healthcare system for a good while at least as no lockdown would be severe enough to stifle this short of the police shooting people in the streets and essential services stopping. Strap in guys! Hope we can at least beat Man U at the weekend so we don't end the world bottom of the prem

7 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

1 million a day. If an infection period is 2 weeks then 20% of everyone will have it at 1 time.

If this really does come to fruition then jobs ****ed for the whole world healthcare system for a good while at least as no lockdown would be severe enough to stifle this short of the police shooting people in the streets and essential services stopping. Strap in guys! Hope we can at least beat Man U at the weekend so we don't end the world bottom of the prem

Well 20 million have had the triple jab, so vast majority of them would be protected, the mild symptoms being reported appear to be backed up by the numbers being hospitalised in SA, the virus has been there for decent time and they’re not seeing additional beds taken by the virus, they are seeing more patients in hospital with other ailments testing positive so it looks like this is the variant most in the know were saying 18 months ago.

Who knows but I can’t see any lockdown being adhered to nor needed, time will tell, this government has totally cocked up any trust this population had in them.

4 minutes ago, Indy said:

Well 20 million have had the triple jab, so vast majority of them would be protected, the mild symptoms being reported appear to be backed up by the numbers being hospitalised in SA, the virus has been there for decent time and they’re not seeing additional beds taken by the virus, they are seeing more patients in hospital with other ailments testing positive so it looks like this is the variant most in the know were saying 18 months ago.

Who knows but I can’t see any lockdown being adhered to nor needed, time will tell, this government has totally cocked up any trust this population had in them.

yup, I can't help but think we are at a pivotal moment with all this. We may just about squeak to Christmas without too much of a crisis but January is going to be a complete ****show either way. What even happens after the Omicron wave leaves town? We just wait for a new one to materialise and go again?

7 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

yup, I can't help but think we are at a pivotal moment with all this. We may just about squeak to Christmas without too much of a crisis but January is going to be a complete ****show either way. What even happens after the Omicron wave leaves town? We just wait for a new one to materialise and go again?

Indeed,but treatments are moving forwards too, so there’s a moment when we just treat Covid as another cold virus type. Just depends on how long before that moment comes! By March hopefully.

8 hours ago, Indy said:

Please don’t be led by the nurse claiming to be a medical doctor. 1000 in hospital in Gauteng in the last 5 days alone. Does not mean that it will happen in Western Europe if the vaccines hold up, but only time will tell. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Please don’t be led by the nurse claiming to be a medical doctor. 1000 in hospital in Gauteng in the last 5 days alone. Does not mean that it will happen in Western Europe if the vaccines hold up, but only time will tell. 

I haven't got a problem with him being a Ph.D  - but as with most of these YouTube channels they tend to tell people what they want to hear as opposed to what they should. Its just far too soon to draw any real conclusions on Omicron much beyond it's very very transmissible. There will always be an 'influencer'' selling an odd pseudo scientific crackpot theory - 'the fat emperor' comes to mind but Campbell I think is at least trying to be honest but still grasping at anything anecdotally positive.

My own completely unsubstantiated concern is that if Omicron is spreading so fast in 'outdoors' SA in summer - it might make hay in Carrow Road at a home game! Every football stadium could become Cheltenham super-spreader with rocket boosters!