Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

Don’t shoot the messenger 

Growing expectation new Covid restrictions set to be announced

Our political editor Laura Kuenssberg says there is "growing expectation" in Westminster that the government is about to announce extra Covid restrictions. 

"Nothing confirmed but turning out out to be quite the day,"

46 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Don’t shoot the messenger 

Growing expectation new Covid restrictions set to be announced

Our political editor Laura Kuenssberg says there is "growing expectation" in Westminster that the government is about to announce extra Covid restrictions. 

"Nothing confirmed but turning out out to be quite the day,"

no indoor gatherings outside SW1A 2AB postcode?!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Can't  see anybody paying regard to further restrictions now. Its blown wide open.

The restrictions will be for the boosters to be administered, if he had taken them serious in the first place we wouldn’t be in this position. 300,000 of the most vulnerable ie the housebound yet to be vaccinated, shutting the hubs to name but a few things. Restrictions are to slow the variant down to protect those people that should already be protected.

30 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Can't  see anybody paying regard to further restrictions now. Its blown wide open.

many will. This country has plenty of people who love being told what to do rather than rely on their own common sense. It's engrained in our education system.

Not much really for the individual to follow though with vaccine passports and WFH guidance, more on businesses.

At this point I see it all a bit futile really. The virus is gonna virus and all you can really do is fight it with vaccines and treatments.

I absolutely detest our government using the vaccine as a political football at this point, risks undermining it and other vaccines.

I feel like at this point we'd do a better job of pandemic management if the whole lot in government just sacked it off now 😆

35 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Its certainly going to give the antis a reason, not an excuse, for non mask wearing etc.

19 hours ago, ricardo said:

Vax     

1st Dose      19,979              88.9% done                               Norwich numbers   77.7% 

2nd Dose     25,012              81% done                                                                  70.9%

Booster     329,165     total          20,909,809                36.4%

This statistic is painful to see, why do we lag behind so much in terms of vaccination in this fine city? I hope we can all agree on the efficacy of the vaccine, especially with the evidence being so clear. 

Does anyone have any guesses as to the reason that Norwich lags behind the rest of the country?

Factor's to consider:

• The average age of the county being significantly higher than the national average, uptake is generally better amongst older age groups.
  • Demographic of the area is more polar than the national average, with lower representation of groups who have been reported to have lower uptake. 

12 minutes ago, greendoor said:

This statistic is painful to see, why do we lag behind so much in terms of vaccination in this fine city? I hope we can all agree on the efficacy of the vaccine, especially with the evidence being so clear. 

Does anyone have any guesses as to the reason that Norwich lags behind the rest of the country?

Factor's to consider:

• The average age of the county being significantly higher than the national average, uptake is generally better amongst older age groups.
  • Demographic of the area is more polar than the national average, with lower representation of groups who have been reported to have lower uptake. 

it must be an age thing surely?

Norwich is hardly the most culturally diverse area of the country and most of the patterns of low uptake come from BAME communities. I was lead to believe this accounts for many of Londons woes in vaccine rates compared to the rest of the country.

23 hours ago, Well b back said:

Was and partly is not good. Messed up by 1. Not being taken seriously in September 2. Cancelling the leases on the hubs 3. I know at which point you can go and get your booster, I wonder if any of you know wether it’s 3, 5 or 6 months currently 4. The leases on the big hubs cannot be renewed until mid January 5. Weren’t getting the important people there ie the more mature so invited over 40’s.

Johnson has told you what you want to hear. As I have said many times forget texts, emails, booking, get to a walk in where you can get your jab straight away ( answer to 3. is 5 months at a walk in 6 on a booking ). Don’t delay please get it now. 

Well, tried a walk in and no i couldnt get a jab straight away, they said i need to go thru my own GP practice to obtain official documentation. So then i rang my GP's practice and after a long and lengthy wait on the line finally got a Booster appointment for myself and my son...for January 8th.

Ive heard so many do this and do that conflicting reports about the Booster program and  it all seems very messy..now my son and i have a month long wait for our Booster but at least we now have a time thank goodness.

On 13/03/2020 at 11:33, BigManInTheBarclay said:

I can see the rest of the season being written off.....quite how they'll handle that in terms of legal issues is another thing.

Some people are requesting this season be null and void and start again next season....that could potentially cripple the EFL in terms of financial implications.

Let's hope sensible heads prevail

I keep seeing this thread at the bottom of the first page and wonder for 2022.....

2 hours ago, greendoor said:

Does anyone have any guesses as to the reason that Norwich lags behind the rest 

Large student population with home addresses all over the country and indeed all over the world who may well have been vaxed in their home area but don't  show up on our vax count.

It is very diverse in NR2 and to be honest everyone I know including some students have been vaxxed. 

16 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I keep seeing this thread at the bottom of the first page and wonder for 2022.....

The precedent has been set so they will finish the season even if they have to call in the pools panel.

If you want to know in advance I can tell you now that we are relegated.😉

• Like 1

A bit more on Pfizer and the boosters just released, good news. As I have said many times we should be so much more protected but now there will be a clamber for the boosters with the hubs reopening mid January. I understand the vaccinating of the house bound will finally start next week. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-59582006

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Well b back said:

A bit more on Pfizer and the boosters just released, good news. As I have said many times we should be so much more protected but now there will be a clamber for the boosters with the hubs reopening mid January. I understand the vaccinating of the house bound will finally start next week. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-59582006

excellent news WBB

• Like 1

National

51,342 - 161

rate of increase of  11.3%    

Local

Norwich   West rate             346.1      Local   R  estimated 0.9 - 1.1

N&N Patients  (falling)

30-11-2021                                20
29-11-2021 23
28-11-2021 24
27-11-2021 26

Vax     

1st Dose      23,512              89% done                               Norwich numbers   77.7%        Booster rate 26.1

2nd Dose     28,375              81.1% done                                                                  70.9%

Booster     391,050     total          21,300,859                37%

In Hospital 

07-12-2021                                    7,317
06-12-2021 7,339
05-12-2021 7,239
04-12-2021 7,143
03-12-2021 7,302
02-12-2021 7,401
01-12-2021 7,338

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

Putin says Omicron may be a live vaccine. 

Rest of the world is trying to stop it spreading.

Limited testing in Russia but deaths look very worrying.

1 minute ago, Well b back said:

Press conference at 6pm

Can't see Plan B having any positive impact at all. The cat is out the bag. Working from home makes little difference as work environments are pretty sterile and safer than supermarkets and pubs.

I think I know how this will end up. 

8 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Can't see Plan B having any positive impact at all. The cat is out the bag. Working from home makes little difference as work environments are pretty sterile and safer than supermarkets and pubs.

Not too sure about that, maybe some are but plenty don't seem to be, plus there is the travel there & back especially for those that use public transport, viz the Underground.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Not too sure about that, maybe some are but plenty don't seem to be, plus there is the travel there & back especially for those that use public transport, viz the Underground.

Surely it has to be a question of slowing it - so called 'flattening the peak' if the NHS is to manage at all.

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

The precedent has been set so they will finish the season even if they have to call in the pools panel.

If you want to know in advance I can tell you now that we are relegated.😉

I think events are already overtaking them - Spuds having difficulty fielding a team etc.

Odds for all being at the next 2 home games?

Edited by Yellow Fever

55 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Given the way Johnson works perhaps the cat you speak of is one of his dead ones. The kind to deflect.

23 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Surely it has to be a question of slowing it - so called 'flattening the peak' if the NHS is to manage at all.

Yes absolutely, I was questioning @Capt. Pants suggestion that working from home will have no impact - seems very likely to me that it will have an impact on slowing the virus down.

It is one of the relatively painless measures, along with increased mask wearing, that should have been brought in some time ago to slow the virus down without having to resort to the more severe restrictions - restrictions which are now probably going to be required as well in the very near future.

As always, Johnson has dithered, fudged and done too little and far too late.

4 hours ago, Essjayess said:

Well, tried a walk in and no i couldnt get a jab straight away, they said i need to go thru my own GP practice to obtain official documentation. So then i rang my GP's practice and after a long and lengthy wait on the line finally got a Booster appointment for myself and my son...for January 8th.

Ive heard so many do this and do that conflicting reports about the Booster program and  it all seems very messy..now my son and i have a month long wait for our Booster but at least we now have a time thank goodness.

This kind of thing must be down to the local administration, surely ???  

I booked mine and OH's online down here in Portsmouth area and only had to wait two weeks - all now done a while back 

1 hour ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Yes absolutely, I was questioning @Capt. Pants suggestion that working from home will have no impact - seems very likely to me that it will have an impact on slowing the virus down.

It is one of the relatively painless measures, along with increased mask wearing, that should have been brought in some time ago to slow the virus down without having to resort to the more severe restrictions - restrictions which are now probably going to be required as well in the very near future.

As always, Johnson has dithered, fudged and done too little and far too late.

Actually given the present expected rapid rise in cases I suspect plan B is now too little too late. 

At least the kids break up in a week, students too.  However I'm suspicious that we'll be in a real mess in a couple of weeks with spiralling cases yet only then knowing the severity - too late to react if a poor prognosis.