Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

13 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

That is a slim one. We were the highest in Europe a couple of weeks ago. And it was unseasonably warm. I am still wearing shorts outside and I normally consign them to the bottom drawer by the middle of October. I played Golf in shirt sleeves on Tuesday.

True, and mainly for Rocky's benefit I just thought I'd confirm that I am still picking summer fruiting raspberries on top of a hill in Yorkshire in November.

Wrong thread I know, but it is unseasonably warm as KG said and Rocky seems to be struggling to process that. 🙄

Evening chaps.  After exploding elsewhere and being incredibly bloody minded in pursuit of reintroducing actual political debate I am expecting a lengthy break from the forum.

If I don't speak to you again soon.... Take care and take (almost) any jab offered to you . We could be facing two equal threats this winter and I dont think either is very pleasant. On the plus side though, if we are all even mildly sensible this winter WILL be better than the last.

This thread and the come on Sarah one have been  an example of the best the pink un can be.  High quality and robust but respectful debate.  For a football forum to be so informative on the issue is actually quite odd if thought us given. I'll be reading from beyond!

54 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I am still wearing shorts outside and I normally consign them to the bottom drawer by the middle of October. I played Golf in shirt sleeves on Tuesday.

You need a weekend in Cromer to get back to reality. A pleasant hour outside the pub at lunchtime but it very quickly got parky.

25 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Evening chaps.  After exploding elsewhere and being incredibly bloody minded in pursuit of reintroducing actual political debate I am expecting a lengthy break from the forum.

If I don't speak to you again soon.... Take care and take (almost) any jab offered to you . We could be facing two equal threats this winter and I dont think either is very pleasant. On the plus side though, if we are all even mildly sensible this winter WILL be better than the last.

This thread and the come on Sarah one have been  an example of the best the pink un can be.  High quality and robust but respectful debate.  For a football forum to be so informative on the issue is actually quite odd if thought us given. I'll be reading from beyond!

You will never get sense out of a flowerpot.😉🌻

52 minutes ago, ricardo said:

You need a weekend in Cromer to get back to reality. A pleasant hour outside the pub at lunchtime but it very quickly got parky.

But it was being brought up in Norwich that got me seasoned to the cold weather.

8 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

But it was being brought up in Norwich that got me seasoned to the cold weather.

Its brass monkey's at Brancaster and you will need an overcoat in Overstrand.

11 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

I think you'll find you were imploding rather than exploding and with a whimper rather than a bang - of course, given your complete lack of self-awareness you maybe don't appreciate the difference but the rest of us certainly did, and to be perfectly honest I suspect most of us rather enjoyed you making a complete fool of yourself 😂

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ricardo said:

It's crappy at Cromer and don't even go near Sheringham.😀

As nobody cared to mention it yesterday I include the latest gold standard REACT study (ONS random sampling) from yesterday to the 30th October

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/articles/coronaviruscovid19latestinsights/infections

Basically no change from the previous week - and certainly no significant drops. Best that can be said is that it is generally stable. Now we an all come up with ideas why it doesn't show the significant drops that the 'non-random' confirmed PCR tests show - possibly we now underestimate the time an infection has to be present to symptoms and a test or that the population has become very complacent.

Lets hope it goes down next week .... but of course the kids will then have been back for about a week.

In the latest week (ending 30 October 2021), the estimated percentage of the community population that had COVID-19 was:

• 2.02% in England (1 in 50 people) 

• 2.39% in Wales (1 in 40 people) 

• 1.49% in Northern Ireland (1 in 65 people) 

• 1.25% in Scotland (1 in 80 people)

Quick shout out to anyone eligible...according to reports on Twitter you can now book a booster using the official NHS site (169 days after your second jab rather than 182). @Well b back was correct that a change to 5 months would come. I've tested the site and you can now book (mine booked for Friday).

Get on the system!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ricardo said:

Porthtowan had waves twenty feet high hitting the cliffs. But it wasn't cold and a nice afternoon to sit and just watch.

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

As nobody cared to mention it yesterday I include the latest gold standard REACT study (ONS random sampling) from yesterday to the 30th October

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/articles/coronaviruscovid19latestinsights/infections

Cheers for posting that.  Most probably disappointed to see stable figures here when test data has been declining.

The next 2-3 of these will probably reflect transmission during worsening  weather and increased social and family mixing from school holidays and festivals, so might be the earliest clues as to prospects for the Christmas season.

I see that there are re-infection stats in the report this time.  Seems it is possible but still rare  despite the variants and time that has passed, which is very encouraging.  Where there is reinfection it seems to come mainly 4-6 months after the initial bout and is rarer after serious illness (and hence a strong immune response).  I would say that these characteristics support the argument for boosters vaccines.

• Like 1

National

30,693 - 155

rate of decrease of 10.8% over 7 days,

Local

Norwich rate 328.8  down 18% (7 days)

N&N Patients

02-11-2021                         36

Vax     

1st Dose      42,715             87.3% done                               Norwich numbers   76.7% 

2nd Dose     21,905             79.7% done                                                                  69.8%

Booster    305,967     total          9,653,041

In Hospital ( looks to have peaked on the 1st Nov)

4-11-2021                                          9,160
03-11-2021 9,327
02-11-2021 9,556
01-11-2021 9,585
31-10-2021 9,350
30-10-2021 9,195
29-10-2021 9,148
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, sonyc said:

Quick shout out to anyone eligible...according to reports on Twitter you can now book a booster using the official NHS site (169 days after your second jab rather than 182). @Well b back was correct that a change to 5 months would come. I've tested the site and you can now book (mine booked for Friday).

Get on the system!

Thanks again @sonyc - I’ve just been online and it works, I’ve booked mine!

10 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Basically no change from the previous week - and certainly no significant drops. Best that can be said is that it is generally stable. Now we an all come up with ideas why it doesn't show the significant drops that the 'non-random' confirmed PCR tests show - possibly we now underestimate the time an infection has to be present to symptoms and a test or that the population has become very complacent.

Lets hope it goes down next week .... but of course the kids will then have been back for about a week.

In the latest week (ending 30 October 2021), the estimated percentage of the community population that had COVID-19 was:

• 2.02% in England (1 in 50 people) 

• 2.39% in Wales (1 in 40 people) 

• 1.49% in Northern Ireland (1 in 65 people) 

• 1.25% in Scotland (1 in 80 people)

Thanks yes, I think these numbers are really encouraging because when you allow for the period they cover, IMO they’re completely consistent with the daily PCR case numbers.

These ONS numbers cover the week ending 30th October i.e. 24-30 October and if you look at @ricardo’s daily post on cases the PCR numbers peaked on 26th October I think, and then started to decline. So overall you’d expect that week (taken as a whole) to be level - the increase at the start would be roughly balanced by the decrease at the end. Which is therefore consistent with the ONS numbers.

So I’ll make a prediction next week’s ONS numbers, when they come out, will show a modest decrease in case levels, which we’ve already seen in the daily PCR numbers for that period.

• Like 1

So here I am looking at a hotel in London which is a boat, only to get the words “Staycation in London” looking back at me!.

Just when will this horrible so-called “Pandemic Dictionary” word go away and do one?. It’s not even used properly anymore thanks to the morons who started using it because Boris kept pressuring us to holiday at home from behind his lectern. It means staying at home and going to local attractions like a museum, a holiday at home is still a holiday!.

God, rant over!.

As for those stats, not looking all that bad at all, I just hope we have peaked now and people will get their boosters when and if needed. We need and deserve a damn good Christmas after everything.

• Thanks 1

On 05/11/2021 at 17:22, ricardo said:

I don't know if anybody has noticed but there's a very sharp north-south divide in Europe right now: Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Norway, Denmark (which had previously been almost completely spared) are all seeing accelerating case numbers, while in the South the numbers have barely budged. Could this possibly be weather related?

More like rules being more lax and everything being advisory now. When I went to Iceland it was like everything was normal again, just that facemasks were being worn in my hotel and a Bistro opposite by the staff.

Here, I still see people wearing them, not just in restaurants and pubs, but also on trains. It’s just not as common as it used to be though.

Official announcement tomorrow morning reducing to 5 months. Any walk in doing it today, and I understand the system is set up for tomorrow. Anyone that qualifies please ensure they know, these jabs are vital.

We have huge queues so back to work for me in a minute, anyone in Birmingham New Street station or Mel Square Solihull.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Van wink said:

Figures shooting up in Broadland for some reason.

CDCF5E5E-52E4-41C3-8096-D1CAD01217D4.thumb.png.410c7f1c261dd5bb3c03c1f3455eadc3.png

Immunity on vaccines running down and with the greatest respect people not realising the importance of the boosters until we dug a hole again. 

25 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Immunity on vaccines running down and with the greatest respect people not realising the importance of the boosters until we dug a hole again. 

Very likely a factor, generally an older demographic with waning immunity and many local surgeries that vaccinated dose one and two not administering boosters. 

5 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Very likely a factor, generally an older demographic with waning immunity and many local surgeries that vaccinated dose one and two not administering boosters. 

image.thumb.png.90a227d22cbbe8ed9c2653c862c371bb.png

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

image.thumb.png.90a227d22cbbe8ed9c2653c862c371bb.png

Sky seem to be suggesting you can make your appointment for booster when you are at 5 months, from Monday, but can't receive it until you are at 6 months, that's not correct is it? Not what I had understood from your post above but maybe I had misunderstood.

"The third shots are currently available to those aged over 50 and those deemed most at risk from coronavirus.

The rollout began in September, and people in England have had to wait until six months after their second dose before they have been eligible to book.

But from Monday, they can make their appointment after five months, although they will still only be able to actually receive the booster after six months."

Edited by Van wink

52 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Sky seem to be suggesting you can make your appointment for booster when you are at 5 months, from Monday, but can't receive it until you are at 6 months, that's not correct is it? Not what I had understood from your post above but maybe I had misunderstood.

"The third shots are currently available to those aged over 50 and those deemed most at risk from coronavirus.

The rollout began in September, and people in England have had to wait until six months after their second dose before they have been eligible to book.

But from Monday, they can make their appointment after five months, although they will still only be able to actually receive the booster after six months."

Wait for tomorrow’s announcement, if it is not 5 months then the NHS got it wrong Saturday and Sunday as our new date used was 7/6/21. @sonyc also managed to book his 5 month for Tuesday I believe ?

On 06/11/2021 at 09:42, sonyc said:

Get on the system!

@Van wink

4 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Wait for tomorrow’s announcement, if it is not 5 months then the NHS got it wrong Saturday and Sunday as our new date used was 7/6/21. @sonyc also managed to book his 5 month for Tuesday I believe ?

Just seen this...the date I've booked mine for happens to be exactly 6 months from 2nd jab. But previously you couldn't use the NHS site until those 6 months had elapsed. Mrs S was also able to book. Hers is two weeks after mine but her booster effectively has been brought forward through being able to do the booking now by 2 weeks at least (so 5.5 months between). Hope this helps.

Just means that you can be more proactive rather than waiting on a text (which sound a bit hit and miss for some).

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Apologies in advance if my info is incorrect and yours turns out to be correct but we definitely used 7/6/21 as the approved booster day.

15 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Apologies in advance if my info is incorrect and yours turns out to be correct but we definitely used 7/6/21 as the approved booster day.

Mixed messaging again I suspect, I’m not doing contact tracing anymore, haven’t been for sometime, but confusion reigned I can tell you! 
Par for the course sadly.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Mixed messaging again I suspect, I’m not doing contact tracing anymore, haven’t been for sometime, but confusion reigned I can tell you! 
Par for the course sadly.

When you see it on the front line, you actually struggle at times to believe what you are seeing.