Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

One of my friends from work had a bunch of anti-vax protesters when she left after having her booster. Really does confuse me why such idiots exist.

1 minute ago, KernowCanary said:

One of my friends from work had a bunch of anti-vax protesters when she left after having her booster. Really does confuse me why such idiots exist.

Takes all sorts.

More easy meat for the virus to chew on.ūüėČ

• Haha 1

Has anyone seen this modelling - into 2022? Looks encouraging in the shorter term! Numbers rising again mid 2022.

Edited by sonyc
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, ricardo said:

National

36,567 - 38

rate of increase of 2.2% over 7 days,

Another big drop in numbers from last Monday (13k down) more confirmation that the peak is past nationally.

Local

Norwich rate 559.9  up 21.4% (7 days) local peak not far off.

patients in N&N 

19-10-2021                              31
18-10-2021 33
17-10-2021 28
16-10-2021 28
15-10-2021 29
14-10-2021 28
13-10-2021 27

Vax      (recalibrated again)

1st Dose      25,747             86.4% done                               Norwich numbers   75% 

2nd Dose     18,082             79.2% done                                                                  68.5%

No info on Dashboard re booster jabs.

In Hospital

22-10-2021                            8,239
21-10-2021 8,268
20-10-2021 8,187
19-10-2021 7,937
18-10-2021 7,796
17-10-2021 7,429
16-10-2021 7,163
15-10-2021 7,139

Whoops.

Just saw this on the CV dashboard. 

36,567 - 38 - Did not include Wales.

I guess it will be corrected for today.

25 October 2021

LOG CATEGORY:DATA ISSUE

UK cases and deaths do not include figures from Wales

Because of a technical issue at Public Health Wales, it was not possible to include reported cases and deaths within 28 days of a positive test in Wales. Figures will be added when available.

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

Whoops.

I guess it will be corrected for today.¬† Maybe, or maybe not ūüôĄ

25 October 2021

Because of a technical issue at Public Health Wales, it was not possible to include reported cases and deaths within 28 days of a positive test in Wales. Figures will be added when available.

Unbelievable, well over a year on and with the bill standing at ¬£28 billion+ and yet we still haven't got a IT system that delivers the numbers reliably. Just who are the clowns that have been paid billions to deliver this software shambles when most 15 year olds could knock them up a working system orn their home PC (or maybe phone in the case of 15 yr olds ūüėÄ)

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

Whoops.

I guess it will be corrected for today.

25 October 2021

A regular occurrence, the smaller nations often don't report figures every day whereas the England figures are and they were down over 6k yesterday.

14 minutes ago, ricardo said:

A regular occurrence, the smaller nations often don't report figures every day whereas the England figures are and they were down over 6k yesterday.

Yes - But weekends always dodgy anyway.

Even todays 'headline totals need circumspection as admitted incorrect - 

"Because of technical issues at Public Health Wales yesterday, the cases and deaths reported today cover a 72-hour period. However, due to further technical issues, not all cases in the 72-hour period have been flagged as new. The true number of new cases since the previous update is likely to be just over 8,000. The cumulative total is unaffected by this reporting issue.

Edited by Yellow Fever

National

40,954 - 263

rate of decrease of 0.4% over 7 days,

Welsh figures cover the last three days

Local

Norwich rate 565.5  up 13.3% (7 days) local peak not far off.

patients in N&N 

19-10-2021                      31
18-10-2021 33
17-10-2021 28
16-10-2021 28
15-10-2021 29

Vax     

1st Dose      37,809             86.5% done                               Norwich numbers   75% 

2nd Dose     21,446             79.3% done                                                                  68.5%

Still no booster dose info on Dashboard site

In Hospital (will rise for another week yet)

25-10-2021                  8,693
24-10-2021 8,388
23-10-2021 8,227
22-10-2021 8,248
21-10-2021 8,272
20-10-2021 8,190
19-10-2021 7,942

• Like 2

Some England only figures. (looking like past peak for cases, hospital and deaths to follow later))

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

Appears we may be passing the peak, let’s hope so.

Yes. Lots of threads on Twitter indicating we are at peak and the trend may be to fall next week. 

Very sad reading those death numbers. We have perhaps become (necessarily) de-sensitised to such figures. They will include the weekend I know.

I posted last night a thread I came across projected into 2022. Sees a big  (steep) drop in November and December.

• Like 1

Who knows the relevance, but just over a couple of weeks ago we are encouraged to wear masks again to avoid more restrictions. Not sure about everywhere but up here certainly noticeable more masks are being worn again. Also as 1/2 term kids are no longer testing regular so random unsymptomatic cases not being picked up.

Who knows, COVID is a law to itself.

Boosters are more important than anything, once again, please, please get yours if it is your time and tell others get it done. Unfortunately the booster programme will take a hit this week as the teenagers take priority to get that back on track after that debacle.

1 minute ago, Well b back said:

@sonyc said Sees a big  (steep) drop in November and December.

As long as we can get boosters back on track.

Indeed, there has to be massive focus on a longer term vaccine with longevity. 

27 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Appears we may be passing the peak, let’s hope so.

Let’s hope so, but I seriously hope that Javid wasn’t playing politics by lying that cases would be going north of 100,000 just to make it look like they had done something amazing and kept numbers down.

I prefer to believe Andrew Pollard who has said numbers will stabilise as the virus has a few less places to go over the next few weeks. He does as well stress the importance of boosters and if they don’t pick up could be trouble ahead.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Indy said:

Indeed, there has to be massive focus on a longer term vaccine with longevity. 

I would love that to happen, but I fear looking at the latest comments from Israel and Portugal ( who’s cases especially deaths and hospitalisations dropped considerably after boosters ) that the next set of boosters will come 4 months after these ones.

It seems like the common cold, your body cannot remember the virus after around 4 months.

Not good today, after the figures have gone up again and the worse death tally since March, it just seems to keep going up and down all the time and not just down.

Edited by KernowCanary

This is much more my view.

12 minutes ago, Well b back said:

I prefer to believe Andrew Pollard who has said numbers will stabilise as the virus has a few less places to go over the next few weeks. He does as well stress the importance of boosters and if they don’t pick up could be trouble ahead.

It's the vaccines in the young, school kids - those that spread it most that will have the greatest and speediest effect to drop incidence - and where we have been very slow off the mark and where we still have large unvaccinated cohorts.

The boosters in the elderly are not in themselves the major driver of any case numbers / reductions at present (hospitalizations perhaps but as yet unseen) as of course although there may be a waning most are fully vaccinated and have some if not perfect protection.

Compare with Israel and what they did when (and they have a relatively young populations) .

With the 'data' over the last few days, flawed though it might be, we are in danger of 'one swallow a summer does not make' wishful thinking. Schools are off for (just) a week, tests already down (3.3 %) and we wonder why we don't report so many positives ? Even No 10 urges caution, which for Johnson, is saying something.

We may be approaching a peak, we may not be as its all far far too soon to say. Caution is king so get vaccinated / booster / masks and socially distance and take care. The data will then look after itself.

2 hours ago, KernowCanary said:

Not good today, after the figures have gone up again and the worse death tally since March, it just seems to keep going up and down all the time and not just down.

The death tally covers many dates, some are not reported for many weeks. People seem to not understand that the figures are not the number of people that died yesterday.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sonyc said:

Yes. Lots of threads on Twitter indicating we are at peak and the trend may be to fall next week. 

Very sad reading those death numbers. We have perhaps become (necessarily) de-sensitised to such figures. They will include the weekend I know.

I posted last night a thread I came across projected into 2022. Sees a big  (steep) drop in November and December.

Yep, there were three studies and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical medicine seems to be the one that has grabbed the headlines. They are all reported below

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1027851/S1383_SPI-M-O_Summary_autumn_winter_scenarios.pdf

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Lots of booster clinics now in north Suffolk, right through till mid December 

In the Midlands we are already told we will be there till March

4 hours ago, Well b back said:

It seems like the common cold, your body cannot remember the virus after around 4 months.

Is that something  you've read or a bit of your own analysis?  

Blood antibody levels go down in time, that's to be expected, but for the underlying memory to be defunct after 4 months due to viral mutation puts a whole new complexion on this.

Edited by Barbe bleu

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/missed-targets-unused-labs-and-staff-paid-to-watch-netflix-how-nhs-test-trace-frittered-away-37bn/ar-AAPYYfQ?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

The Telegraph

Missed targets, unused labs and staff ‚Äėpaid to watch Netflix‚Äô: How NHS Test & Trace frittered away ¬£37bn

Who would have thought that the failed chief executive who presided over a disasterous massive data breach at TalkTalk might not be the best person to preside over the Test and Trace system?

Edited by horsefly

Massive waste of money in many ways, as we all said at the time, supporting, investing in, and finding a balance with local Public Health services with enhanced support from the centre would undoubtedly have been far less expensive and more effective. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Massive waste of money in many ways, as we all said at the time, supporting, investing in, and finding a balance with local Public Health services with enhanced support from the centre would undoubtedly have been far less expensive and more effective. 

Never mind, there's always a bright side if you look hard enough. I am sure it provided many a NHS early retiree with an unexpected nice little earner.ūüėČ

There's always a silver lining somewhere, or in this case a golden one.ūüėÄ

Well there is a bit of a surprise - the Torygraph leading with something I, and many others, have been saying for over a year now https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/10/26/eye-watering-waste-money-says-damning-report-nhs-test-trace/

Better late than never I suppose but this report is not the first by any means so makes you wonder why the Torygraph have decided now is a good time to give Johnson a bit of a kicking.

Are even they getting fed up with his utter incompetence or is it a useful distraction from his utterly shambolic preparation for COP 26?

18 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Never mind, there's always a bright side if you look hard enough. I am sure it provided many a NHS early retiree with an unexpected nice little earner.ūüėČ

Now now ūüėĀ Everyone had to do their bitūüėČ

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I think you'll find the only golden linings went not to any NHS retirees but to Johnson's mates who were awarded the vastly overpriced contracts, just as in the PPE VIP lane, and who trousered nassive profits despite delivering sub-standard to completely useless products/services.

And who picks up that £37b tab - the taxpayers, i.e. pretty much all of us including everyone in the NHS whether working or retired.

• Like 1