Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

6 hours ago, sonyc said:

A quick note here to mention that the under 65 groups can now get their flu jab (had mine this morning as saw the chalk sign outside the pharmacy - a walk-in). The 50-64 group with no health conditions are invited as well as other groups of people.

With the third booster programme starting we will be a very vaccinated society!

Our surgery has no supplies. Earliest appointment at Boots or Lloyds Pharmacy in  Norwich is 27th Oct. Plus I'm in the extremely vulnerable group.

But plenty of petrol available😉

Edited by ricardo

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Our surgery has no supplies. Earliest appointment at Boots or Lloyds Pharmacy in  Norwich is 27th Oct. Plus I'm in the extremely vulnerable group.

Thats odd, had mine last weekend, it was like throwing darts at the Ally Pally, anyone that moved was a target.

36 minutes ago, ricardo said:

But plenty of petrol available😉

It must be one of those simple vagaries of the system (can't be blamed on Brexit for example, though I could always be tempted 😄). I'm sure you'd be able to find a pharmacist though somewhere near you? Don't think it has to be your nearest?

Don't tell me about petrol. Very hit and miss up here. Son has taken train tonight to see his girlfriend in Sleaford as he has not been able to fill his car all week. I was lucky earlier but we've had to cancel a trip to Wales and likely next week now.... It would have been our first trip away from home for any proper distance in two years. Keep reading the news and it's conflicting. Not sure I can trust there'll be enough or you can trust that you won't get stranded a long way from home.

Feel very sad about it as this was a trip to visit my Welsh heritage, landmarks and family places.

One other tip today (apart from the flu jab above) is to buy your Xmas stuff now and freeze it (if you are a turkey type of person) because there will be a shortage. Advice was in today's Independent. Rather incredible but there you go. Just shows that Covid seems to be moving from the front pages.

We've bought candles too (first time ever in 40 years I reckon). Could be a long winter! Again, something I read a while ago. And I'm not even going to mention Norwich City and a bunker mentality (or hiding behind a sofa🙂).

8 minutes ago, sonyc said:

We've bought candles too (first time ever in 40 years I reckon). Could be a long winter! Again, something I read a while ago. And I'm not even going to mention Norwich City and a bunker mentality (or hiding behind a sofa🙂).

I recall playing a darts match in the pub during the 1970's miners strike and power cuts when we had to resort to candles. I shot a 180 just after the lights went out, well thats what I shouted out, but strangely nobody believed me.😉

Just now, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

How many candles?

Four?

😁

How did you guess!😀 It was. 

Bought some pumps too.....

(No reactions left HIWEM)

• Haha 1

But plenty of petrol available

lol for the first time in a week 2 of our 12 local garages have some fuel. Don’t know if you also noticed the price has increased from 1.27 - 1.31 per litre to 1.39 - 1.54 per litre.

5 minutes ago, Well b back said:

But plenty of petrol available

lol for the first time in a week 2 of our 12 local garages have some fuel. Don’t know if you also noticed the price has increased from 1.27 - 1.31 per litre to 1.39 - 1.54 per litre.

Plenty up here mate and world oil price up sharply.

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/Surging-Energy-Prices-Push-Eurozone-Inflation-To-Highest-Since-2008.html

so not really a surprise

4 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Energy was discussed on More or Less tonight (the Market Coupling system has affected the UK since we left the EU). You'll probably know already. Our dependence on wind for power hurts us too.

We have some of the most expensive fuel in Europe also:

https://www.tolls.eu/fuel-prices

5 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Energy was discussed on More or Less tonight (the Market Coupling system has affected the UK since we left the EU). You'll probably know already. Our dependence on wind for power hurts us too.

We have some of the most expensive fuel in Europe also:

https://www.tolls.eu/fuel-prices

Cheaper than Germany, Italy, Nertherlands, Greece, Denmark, Norway and France as long as you don't have a diesel.

Moldova a long way to go for a cheap fill up.

National

30,301 -121

rate of increase 3.1% .(7 days) 6th day of decline

Local

Norwich infection rate     271.5  up 24% but from low numbers

15 patients in the N&N  28th Sept ( Down from 16 on previous report))

Vax

1st Dose      37,787             89.8% done                 Norwich numbers   77% 

2nd Dose     33,638             82.5% done                                                     71%

In Hospital

30-09-2021                                         6,733
29-09-2021 6,876
28-09-2021 7,002
27-09-2021 7,020
26-09-2021 6,789
25-09-2021 6,932
24-09-2021 6,895
23-09-2021 7,148
  • Like 1

Currently sitting out, sweating a 10 day holiday at home, with temperature and a slight headache. done the PCR with the wife and today when I felt really bad, got a flurry of test and trace emails demanding that I sign on and give them information. This when my wife already informed them about all our movements, were we got it from and the precautions we instantly took the moment we felt something was wrong with us, even before we tested positive.

The harassing pings, some eight times this lunchtime felt like being harrassed. I have not contacted their wretched expensive outfit and they can ring me up at home if they want anything.

Do they not realise that this online stress only exacerbates the situation? is like hospital food, not at all conducive to a healthy quick recovery.

2 hours ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

Currently sitting out, sweating a 10 day holiday at home, with temperature and a slight headache. done the PCR with the wife and today when I felt really bad, got a flurry of test and trace emails 

Best of luck to you.  Not the way you'd probably want to celebrate our first point in what feels like months but it'll be OK in the end.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

Currently sitting out, sweating a 10 day holiday at home, with temperature and a slight headache. done the PCR with the wife and today when I felt really bad, got a flurry of test and trace emails demanding that I sign on and give them information. This when my wife already informed them about all our movements, were we got it from and the precautions we instantly took the moment we felt something was wrong with us, even before we tested positive.

The harassing pings, some eight times this lunchtime felt like being harrassed. I have not contacted their wretched expensive outfit and they can ring me up at home if they want anything.

Do they not realise that this online stress only exacerbates the situation? is like hospital food, not at all conducive to a healthy quick recovery.

In their texts you should have their reference number. Unless you are sick with full pay ( or similar ) you should be able to claim £500 ( tax free )

• Like 1

National

30,439 - 43

rate of increase 1.1% .(7 days) 7th day of decline

Local

Norwich infection rate     284.9  up 21% but from low numbers

Vax

1st Dose      27,675             89.8% done                 Norwich numbers   77% 

2nd Dose     33,926             82.5% done                                                     71%

In Hospital

30-09-2021                                  6,733
29-09-2021 6,876
28-09-2021 7,002
27-09-2021 7,020
26-09-2021 6,789
25-09-2021 6,932
24-09-2021 6,895
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ricardo said:

The youth wave seemed to have topped out at last.

Are these the official figures or modelling Ricardo?

On 02/10/2021 at 21:41, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

Currently sitting out, sweating a 10 day holiday at home, with temperature and a slight headache. done the PCR with the wife and today when I felt really bad, got a flurry of test and trace emails demanding that I sign on and give them information

To echo Barbe Bleue's note NNHHIS I hope you are on the mend and feeling a lot better. Hope too those T&T emails have subsided equally.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Aggy said:

Are these the official figures or modelling Ricardo?

Official figures.

Its not a model.

National

35,077 - 33

rate of decrease of 1% over 7 days

Local

Norwich infection rate     294.7  up 29% but from low numbers

Vax

1st Dose      24,123             89.8% done                 Norwich numbers   77% 

2nd Dose     21,532             82.5% done                                                     71%

In Hospital

01-10-2021                               6,556
30-09-2021 6,753
29-09-2021 6,890
28-09-2021 7,015
27-09-2021 7,034
26-09-2021 6,801
25-09-2021 6,943
  • Like 1

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/04/world/australia/new-zealand-covid-zero.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Standing ovation for New Zealand for being the last man standing.

They probably saved thousands of lives of their citizens and a hell of a lot of disruption but it's now the correct call in a world with vaccines and therapeutics.

It's obviously a shame we couldn't have realistically followed a similar path but there was never really much hope of that looking back in hindsight unless we'd locked down in like January 2020 and completely shut the borders at which point everyone would have thought we were bat**** crazy and we'd have completely screwed our supply lines.

It'll now be interesting to see how they go about opening up. I suspect their first proper wave of Covid will be pretty tough going so hopefully everyone that wanted to managed to get vaccinated down there.

It's one of my most favourite places I've ever been and I'd love to go back one day

• Like 2

National

33,869 - 166

rate of decrease of 2.3% over 7 days

Local

Norwich infection rate     313  up 9.4%

Vax

1st Dose      37,671             89.8% done                 Norwich numbers   77% 

2nd Dose     29,337             82.5% done                                                     71%

In Hospital

04-10-2021                                      6,747
03-10-2021 6,564
02-10-2021 6,413
01-10-2021 6,569
30-09-2021 6,763
29-09-2021 6,895
28-09-2021 7,019
Edited by ricardo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

National

33,869 - 166

rate of decrease of 2.3% over 7 days

Local

Norwich infection rate     313  up 9.4%

Vax

1st Dose      37,671             89.8% done                 Norwich numbers   77% 

2nd Dose     29,337             82.5% done                                                     71%

In Hospital

04-10-2021                                      6,747
03-10-2021 6,564
02-10-2021 6,413
01-10-2021 6,569
30-09-2021 6,763
29-09-2021 6,895
28-09-2021 7,019

It's very encouraging that new case numbers have started to drop again, now that schools have been back over a month and the autumn weather is fully upon us.  Out & about I'd say most people are fully back to normal & social distancing has largely gone. 

Cautiously we can hope that the "back to school" wave may be just a ripple.  Now it's all about how long the vaccine resistance holds up and getting the booster programme through.  Oh and also, hopefully, supporting the worldwide vaccine rollout .

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

It's very encouraging that new case numbers have started to drop again, now that schools have been back over a month and the autumn weather is fully upon us.  Out & about I'd say most people are fully back to normal & social distancing has largely gone. 

Cautiously we can hope that the "back to school" wave may be just a ripple.  Now it's all about how long the vaccine resistance holds up and getting the booster programme through.  Oh and also, hopefully, supporting the worldwide vaccine rollout .

Looking at the figures it appears that all age groups are slowly declining and deaths are also past peak. I think it is pretty clear now that we have entered the endemic stage where there will be a low but continuous rate throughout the winter. The non vaxed will still be at high risk but that has always been the case. If hospitalisation was going to rocket we should almost certainly have seen it by now.

All the moaners in The Sailors back terrace garden (pub and restaurant in Newquay), saying back in July that there will be another lockdown in October!.

Those doom and gloomers were wrong and I hope they are glad to be too. Usually they jinx things like this just by saying it over and over again. They did the same thing with the November lockdown, and I’ll never forget Boris with glee going “lockdown!” and bragging on about “recreation”. Recreation for me was just depressing, so I stopped doing it, I’ve always been an out and about type actually doing fun things, not exercise/jogging around. Lockdown damaged me.

It’s time to enjoy our lives once again and stop watching the news, all with their science boffins only interested in one thing and that’s being on the telly. The trend lines are on their way down and the third booster jab will lead the way.

Edited by KernowCanary