Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

National

44,104 - 73

rate of increase 35.8% (7 days)

lower than expected (schools breaking up perhaps???)

Local

Norwich infection rate up from  313.7  to 339.3 (3 patients in N&N)

Vax

1st Dose       39035                88.1% done                 Norwich numbers   75%

2nd Dose     161,279              69.1% done                                                   52.8%

In Hospital

20-07-2021             4,658
19-07-2021 4,599
18-07-2021 4,297
17-07-2021 4,188
16-07-2021 4,114
15-07-2021 3,999
14-07-2021 3,823
13-07-2021 3,644

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

quelle surprise...

Hi TJ

Our figures don’t seem to be showing these sorts of level, especially in new cases. If and I stress if their figures are correct and not exaggerated, the mRNA vaccines are holding up amazingly well. 

2 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Hi TJ

Our figures don’t seem to be showing these sorts of level, especially in new cases. If and I stress if their figures are correct and not exaggerated, the mRNA vaccines are holding up amazingly well. 

have we got our figures broken down like that? Are they testing asymptomatically to the level we do?

I suspect many of their mild/asymptomatic vaccinated cases may get missed

19 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

have we got our figures broken down like that? Are they testing asymptomatically to the level we do?

I suspect many of their mild/asymptomatic vaccinated cases may get missed

Not sure TJ, those figures do seem to tie in with their trial results, but really would be amazing if they are correct. Would love to have our figures of positives split between mRNA vaccines and Oxford. 
Oxford clearly ( as a minimum ) does what it was made to do and protect from severe disease, but wouldn’t it be great to know if they are both as good at protecting from catching it.
To political so guess we will never know the answer.

5 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Not sure TJ, those figures do seem to tie in with their trial results, but really would be amazing if they are correct. Would love to have our figures of positives split between mRNA vaccines and Oxford. 
Oxford clearly ( as a minimum ) does what it was made to do and protect from severe disease, but wouldn’t it be great to know if they are both as good at protecting from catching it.
To political so guess we will never know the answer.

06P47IV.png

• Like 1

When, in the midst of a deadly pandemic, the government's inability to provide an effective test and trace system makes it more rational to delete the NHS app from your phone, then you have yet another measure of just how incompetent this government has been throughout this crisis (vaccine roll-out being the sole exception).

Don't forget there are 1000s of people self isolating because of the pingdemic and this useless Covid app. 

We're not looking at the true picture until we see the impact of; restrictions being lifted, the main UK holiday season and football stadiums full to the brim.

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

Don't forget there are 1000s of people self isolating because of the pingdemic and this useless Covid app. 

We're not looking at the true picture until we see the impact of; restrictions being lifted, the main UK holiday season and football stadiums full to the brim.

If they are taking it off on 16/8 why wait, can’t see what a few days difference will make now ?

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

32 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

If they are taking it off on 16/8 why wait, can’t see what a few days difference will make now ?

To be fair the app is doing EXACTLY what is was supposed to do. I think I heard a figure last night that 1 in 3 of those 'pinged' go on to develop Covid themselves - that's a terrifyingly large number.

In short don't shoot the app messenger - it's just trying to control the spread of Covid - shoot those that caused the mayhem in the first place by their total incompetence. 

Edited by Yellow Fever

2 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

To be fair the app is doing EXACTLY what is was supposed to do. 

Yes, the app is very efficiently and very effectively telling people who may have been in effective contact with a carrier that they may have the disease.This is the contact tracing everyone wanted and bemoaned did not exist.

Unfortunately the virus was always going to make up ground lost to lockdowns and unless we were hunkered down until Christmas  or were to make jabs compulsory efficient contact tracing was always going to result in lots of people getting a call or a ping.

6 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Unfortunately the virus was always going to make up ground lost to lockdowns and unless we were hunkered down until Christmas  or were to make jabs compulsory efficient contact tracing was always going to result in lots of people getting a call or a ping.

Not entirely true. The current ping 'pandemic' and it's issues is clearly caused by letting the virus 'rip' in the first place before we are anywhere near any sort of herd immunity. Simply the government has lost control of the situation, mixed confused messages (are we actively trying to have a summer peak or not ?) and then what will be will be.

Anybody know of any competent PMs that might be available for hire? 

• Thanks 1

To be fair the app is doing EXACTLY what is was supposed to do. I think I heard a figure last night that 1 in 3 of those 'pinged' go on to develop Covid themselves - that's a terrifyingly large number.

In short don't shoot the app messenger - it's just trying to control the spread of Covid - shoot those that caused the mayhem in the first place by their total incompetence. 

interesting stat that 1 in 3... be good to get a source on that. Anecdotally, everyone I know who has been pinged never developed any symptoms or tested positive. Is anywhere else in Europe using a similar app?

Whilst the app is proving very effective at doing as its told, I do wonder if people are using it appropriately... my sister for example got pinged a while ago only to realise later on it was probably through the wall of her neighbours who happened to be isolating at the same time and she'd had no contact with them.

If people used it on say public transport then it may be effective but there's so many situations where its going to falsely tell you of exposure. I think daily LFTs or similar will be far more appropriate than the current scenario. The people it could really do with targeting won't use the app anyway, especially in its current form.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

interesting stat that 1 in 3... be good to get a source on that. Anecdotally, everyone I know who has been pinged never developed any symptoms or tested positive. Is anywhere else in Europe using a similar app?

Whilst the app is proving very effective at doing as its told, I do wonder if people are using it appropriately... my sister for example got pinged a while ago only to realise later on it was probably through the wall of her neighbours who happened to be isolating at the same time and she'd had no contact with them.

If people used it on say public transport then it may be effective but there's so many situations where its going to falsely tell you of exposure. I think daily LFTs or similar will be far more appropriate than the current scenario. The people it could really do with targeting won't use the app anyway, especially in its current form.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-07-19/pingdemic-puts-dampener-on-lifting-of-covid-rules-in-england-as-businesses-hit-by-staff-shortages

🙂

Covid app won't be 'tweaked' as 'one-third of people pinged develop symptoms', PM spokesperson says

Edited by Yellow Fever

4 hours ago, horsefly said:

When, in the midst of a deadly pandemic, the government's inability to provide an effective test and trace system makes it more rational to delete the NHS app from your phone, then you have yet another measure of just how incompetent this government has been throughout this crisis (vaccine roll-out being the sole exception).

And when you remember that they've spent £25b+ on a system that has already been through one re-design but has still never worked properly .....................

That is money that could have given doctors and nurses the really substantial pay rise they deserve and still had more than enough left over to give local authorities public health departments a big capacity boost in order for them to provide an effective and efficient track and trace system - something that they've been doing for many years and could have scaled up for a fraction of the cash that Johnson has handed to his private sector chums.

7 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-07-19/pingdemic-puts-dampener-on-lifting-of-covid-rules-in-england-as-businesses-hit-by-staff-shortages

🙂

Covid app won't be 'tweaked' as 'one-third of people pinged develop symptoms', PM spokesperson says

I doubt they are telling the truth, or perhaps are just being extremely disingenuous.

They didn't say that a third have tested positive (in that quote anyway), which makes you wonder why since that data is clearly also available.

There have been many reports recently of A&E departments being swamped with people with various bugs and viruses which seem to have emerged during the phased unlock and having some similar symptoms to Covid. But most of these have actually turned out to be the standard seasonal bugs which have been suppressed by the lockdown. Certainly amongst the younger members of my family we've had a number of incidents of feeling pretty poorly with worringly Covid like symptoms - every time they have test negative (thank goodness).

Shopping Report.

Sainsburys Queens Road, 99% mask wearing.

All shelves full, 5 checkouts opperating, short queues.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Shopping Report.

Sainsburys Queens Road, 99% mask wearing.

All shelves full, 5 checkouts opperating, short queues.

Our local Morrisons was similar the other day for masks & queues, but whilst 'empty shelves' would probably be over-egging it there were certainly some substantial gaps in quite a few places.

But then we're up north so what can you expect 😃

Edited by Creative Midfielder

ZOE appear to have completely changed the way they calculate the numbers. I think they got worried that their numbers weren't increasing at the official rate.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ricardo said:

ZOE appear to have completely changed the way they calculate the numbers. I think they got worried that their numbers weren't increasing at the official rate.

Up to 60k overnight, that must have been one hell of a party. 
Not a great look for Zoe!

2 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Up to 60k overnight, that must have been one hell of a party. 
Not a great look for Zoe!

Was that Wembley Wiveton again ?

3 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Was that Wembley Wiveton again ?

Cookies crab shack was closed yesterday so no surprise that numbers went down.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Kwasi Kwarteng was non committal on GMB that there wouldn't be a u-turn within 24 hrs on 16/8 being brought forward. Industry getting very concerned about staff being isolated, and it's causing issues with the Police too.

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Kwasi Kwarteng was non committal on GMB that there wouldn't be a u-turn within 24 hrs on 16/8 being brought forward. Industry getting very concerned about staff being isolated, and it's causing issues with the Police too.

The real problem will be the true positives that will need to isolate come what may. I suspect the pings are just the gentle foothills of what's to come.

Not entirely true. The current ping 'pandemic' and it's issues is clearly caused by letting the virus 'rip' in the first place before we are anywhere near any sort of herd immunity. 

The big problem with the 'ping epodemic' is that it is meaning people have to isolate.  But your solution to isolation appears to be isolation?

48 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

The big problem with the 'ping epodemic' is that it is meaning people have to isolate.  But your solution to isolation appears to be isolation?

If you have fewer cases you'll have fewer pings and maybe can manage it better.