Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

They will probably be Ginsters🤒😷

Then you will be ill.

Will the vax protect me from Ginsteritis?

58 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Will the vax protect me from Ginsteritis?

Only if you have the Cornish vaccine. Roddas Clotted Cream. Several helpings needed.

I was out on the golf course today and bumped into God walking around.

I asked him what he doing.

"I'm working from home today" he said😇

Edited by keelansgrandad

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

They will probably be Ginsters🤒😷

Then you will be ill.

Getting deliveries from Lavenders, 10 in a box for £32 

Highly recommended for the non Cornwall City fan😀

Pleased to see this report adding supportive data to our oft criticised policy of extending the period between first and second dose of AZ and Pfizer vaccine

"A single dose of either the Oxford/AstraZeneca or the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine generates a big protective antibody response against the coronavirus in people 80 and over, researchers have found.

The first study to look at the comparative performance of the two vaccines that have been in use in the UK in recent months shows that 93% of people develop antibodies against the coronavirus spike protein by five to six weeks after a single Pfizer jab, and 87% after a single AstraZeneca one.

But the researchers from the UK Coronavirus Immunology Consortium, which includes scientists from 20 different centres, found a difference when it came to the cellular response elicited by the vaccines. That is the generation of T-cells that help fight the virus.

Advertisement

The AstraZeneca vaccine had a greater effect – with 31% of people developing T-cells against the spike protein compared with 12% of those who had the Pfizer jab. People who had the AstraZeneca shot also had a stronger cellular response.

The findings suggest that the UK’s policy of a 12-week wait between doses is safe, as the most vulnerable age group does develop a strong antibody response to the vaccines well before the second delayed dose. They say more work is needed to find out whether the difference in cellular response is significant.

• Like 1

Hi VW

Nobody objected to the Oxford vaccine being 8 - 12 weeks as that was what the data shew was the most effective and was considered by Andrew Pollard and AstraZeneca as the missing part of their jigsaw. It was Pfizer and Pfizer itself that caused the controversy as this was recommended at 21 - 28 days. If I am reading your post right and happy to be corrected that says Pfizer ( although it provides good protection ) is nowhere near the Israeli and US results.

As I understand it no country does Oxford dose 2 at less than 8 weeks and likewise we are the only country that does Pfizer at 12 weeks. That is not to say these results are not good, but it was a lucky mistake in the way AZ ran the trials that resulted in the 8 weeks minimum not a master stroke by Blair or Johnson. Deaths are plummeting here and that is the main justification. Hopefully we will soon be at Israel’s low case rate. 

29 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Hopefully we will soon be at Israel’s low case rate. 

Official cases per million population we aren’t far off already - Israel at around 22 new daily cases per million people rolling seven day average, UK now around 34 per million. France for reference at around 565 per million.

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

The AstraZeneca vaccine had a greater effect – with 31% of people developing T-cells against the spike protein compared with 12% of those who had the Pfizer jab. People who had the AstraZeneca shot also had a stronger cellular response.

Thanks for this.  I'm going to look at the report.

It's was almost gospel that Pfizer was superior but maybe this is the first clue that AZ gives rise to a more enduring and more wide ranging response that can deal with variants better.

Edited by Barbe bleu

9 hours ago, Well b back said:

Hi VW

Nobody objected to the Oxford vaccine being 8 - 12 weeks as that was what the data shew was the most effective and was considered by Andrew Pollard and AstraZeneca as the missing part of their jigsaw. It was Pfizer and Pfizer itself that caused the controversy as this was recommended at 21 - 28 days. If I am reading your post right and happy to be corrected that says Pfizer ( although it provides good protection ) is nowhere near the Israeli and US results.

As I understand it no country does Oxford dose 2 at less than 8 weeks and likewise we are the only country that does Pfizer at 12 weeks. That is not to say these results are not good, but it was a lucky mistake in the way AZ ran the trials that resulted in the 8 weeks minimum not a master stroke by Blair or Johnson. Deaths are plummeting here and that is the main justification. Hopefully we will soon be at Israel’s low case rate.

Hi WBB, this study does seem to show that 93% of over eighties had developed antibodies after 6 weeks of Pfizer which is an outstanding result. In my view that definitely adds support to our 12 week policy for both vaccines and has meant many many more people have been given a initial level of immunity than would have been possible with a three or four week Pfizer regime. The decision was based on the limited AZ data as you say but in the case of Pfizer we took a unilateral decision which was based on an assessment of risk and our understanding of the immune response which in my view has given us an advantage in the progress of our fight against the virus, a decision made in the face of considerable criticism but which has proved to be the right one so far, as far as the UK is concerned. Of course with this virus there are always twists and turns which can change your understanding but so far so good.

Edited by Van wink
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

Thanks for this.  I'm going to look at the report.

It's was almost gospel that Pfizer was superior but maybe this is the first clue that AZ gives rise to a more enduring and more wide ranging response that can deal with variants better.

Would be interested in your thoughts when you have had a look.

3 hours ago, Van wink said:

Would be interested in your thoughts when you have had a look.

I looked at the study but it doesn't say much beyond 'we noticed this difference In t cell response and will leave it to someone else to consider the relevance'

My memory on this is hazy so this is just no more than speculation really but I think it possible that a good t cell response is important for the duration of immune system memory and one half of this response uses larger fragments in recognition and therefore this half might be less sensitive to small mutations than are the B cell/antibody responses.  Conversely I think t cell response takes a while so the study might be too early to bottom out the differences.

I have this down as an unproven curiosity but with potential that AZ response is slightly better in some regards.

Edited by Barbe bleu
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Aggy said:

Official cases per million population we aren’t far off already - Israel at around 22 new daily cases per million people rolling seven day average, UK now around 34 per million. France for reference at around 565 per million.

Hi Aggy

Worth noting we are just coming out of lockdown, Israel are close to normal life.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Well b back said:

Hi Aggy

Worth noting we are just coming out of lockdown, Israel are close to normal life.

Not sure that’s quite right. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.timesofisrael.com/israel-reopens-all-the-new-rules-from-march-7/amp/

https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/israel/1614631163-israel-to-lift-more-coronavirus-restrictions-on-march-7

Suggests before 7 March they had shops closed, kids out of schools etc. The link suggests only a few year groups of kids went back to school (and only in low to medium risk areas) on 7 March. From that date restaurants allowed to serve food outdoors etc. Still now have bans on larger gatherings etc.

So a month ahead of us on the “freedom roadmap” perhaps, but it’s not like they’ve been close to normal life for months on end.

Edited by Aggy

Latest weekly update from Tim Spectre Zoe App

Edited by Van wink
  • Thanks 1

Sad to see France passing 100,000 deaths yesterday with 38,000 infections, hopefully they are passed the peak on the curve.

11 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Sad to see France passing 100,000 deaths yesterday with 38,000 infections, hopefully they are passed the peak on the curve.

Germany breached the 30k plus mark for the last two days. I don't think it has peaked in Europe yet.

9 hours ago, Aggy said:

Not sure that’s quite right. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.timesofisrael.com/israel-reopens-all-the-new-rules-from-march-7/amp/

https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/israel/1614631163-israel-to-lift-more-coronavirus-restrictions-on-march-7

Suggests before 7 March they had shops closed, kids out of schools etc. The link suggests only a few year groups of kids went back to school (and only in low to medium risk areas) on 7 March. From that date restaurants allowed to serve food outdoors etc. Still now have bans on larger gatherings etc.

So a month ahead of us on the “freedom roadmap” perhaps, but it’s not like they’ve been close to normal life for months on end.

Hi Aggy

This is the latest, yes currently 20 indoors and 50 outdoors, but now considering how close they are to herd immunity ( if there is such a thing ). 
https://www.jpost.com/health-science/coronavirus-israel-is-nearing-herd-immunity-expert-tells-post-665256

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Germany breached the 30k plus mark for the last two days. I don't think it has peaked in Europe yet.

Yeh possibly, having just had a quick look the seven day moving average in Germany is still on the up, it appears to be coming down in France but a little uptick recently so a bit hard to be sure. Its a desperate situation for them and from a purely self interested perspective presents real risks to us. The emergence of variants with such a high level of infection across such a huge population is surely something we need to be very aware of and concerned about. The idea of holidays on the Continent for the immediate future really is something that we need to put on the back burner imo.

• Like 1

"An Indian coronavirus variant with mutations that may help it evade immunity has been detected in Britain for the first time.

A total of 77 cases of the variant, called B.1.617, have been recorded up until April 14, Public Health England said. Four of them were in Scotland.

The variant has worried some scientists because it has two mutations to its spike protein, the part of the virus that the immune system attacks, that might make it harder for the body’s defences to spot. Its discovery comes amid surging infection rates in India, which yesterday recorded more than 200,000 cases."

Need to keep on top of this, this variant is ripping through India atm 

49 minutes ago, Van wink said:

"An Indian coronavirus variant with mutations that may help it evade immunity has been detected in Britain for the first time.

A total of 77 cases of the variant, called B.1.617, have been recorded up until April 14, Public Health England said. Four of them were in Scotland.

The variant has worried some scientists because it has two mutations to its spike protein, the part of the virus that the immune system attacks, that might make it harder for the body’s defences to spot. Its discovery comes amid surging infection rates in India, which yesterday recorded more than 200,000 cases."

Need to keep on top of this, this variant is ripping through India atm 

Also worth noting Cambodia, virtually untouched by Covid for a whole year but in the past few weeks been recording new cases in the 100s each day, low by our standards but  a worrying sign there. Also deaths there were mostly 1 or less  per month but around 2 a day now...just shows that, as with Eastern Europe during the 1st and 2nd waves that even nations untouched early on still have the possibility of being ravaged by this  virus and its variants.

23 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Cases in Cornwall were 7 per 100K but the last two weeks have seen a massive influx of visitors. 

But what can you do? 

Barbed wire and armed checkpoints 👍

36 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Cases in Cornwall were 7 per 100K but the last two weeks have seen a massive influx of visitors. 

But what can you do? 

Hard pasty crusts lobbed over the barricades is the only answer. 

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

National

2596 - 34

Local

image.png.440355cabc9f1dccef67b1f202bf5e52.png

image.thumb.png.1d30c8b9d4e8c4ac227d16783ea45bf7.png

image.thumb.png.ad295e274bcea446cdb469e6355f5276.png

After all the angst about vaccine supply, we seem to be still jabbing lots of folk.

New Covid variants appear to be escaping vaccines, with the latest figures showing a doubling in cases of the South African mutation in the UK in the last month.
Meanwhile, 77 cases of a separate variant from India – which it is also feared may resist vaccines – have now been found in the UK. Health officials said these were "geographically well spread", meaning surge testing would not be used in an attempt to contain the mutation.
Data from Public Health England reveals that there are now 600 cases of the South African variant in the UK – up from around 300 a month ago.
Officials have embarked on the largest "surge testing" programme to date amid concern that a number of the infections in London involve people who had already been vaccinated. Importation of cases of the South African variant has long been of concern because of its ability to escape vaccines. 

Pretty nurse with the nicest Irish accent around.👍 Big respects to all the volunteers and medical staff that don't hang around and get you jabbed within minutes. Well done the NHS.