Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

41 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

That's our money. And much more of our money has been given to net beneficiary member states. Next time you fly into a Greek airport remember who paid for it. 

The EU.

2 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

False equivalence. The £300b spent on Covid will now be clawed back in taxes and lower government spending. (nurses salaries). The £226b sent to the EU is gone. 

I'm astonished that people are suddenly upset that 0ubliic sector salaries are going to be frozen. Where do you think the money to develop the vaccine was coming from? Or the money for track and trace? Or the money for furlough?

It was always ever going to come out of our pockets in one form or another. The day of financial reckoning has arrived. 

... and of course 226b we could have avoided paying by never joining in the first place, but at least over the future years we will be saving hundreds of billions, much of which could be used to repay the covid costs. The logic of these remoaner commentators  is as flawed as ever... 🤣

Edited by paul moy

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

The EU.

Indeed, and with our money. The EU never has its own money but your ilk would never understand. 🤣

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

Yes we were a net contributor. We also received billions back over the years (more recently about £6bn a year) in targeted funding. That was part of the membership.

I was careful to state that I was not making such a direct Brexit point. It's therefore not false equivalence RTB because I wasn't making a point about the EU per se, simply comparing what we have spent on Covid (and contracts) in one year against a lifetime of EU contribution. It's a staggering comparison which I believe you'd probably agree is stark?

And the poorest will pay. The main winners are Tory benefactors, those that have funded the party very often. This isn't a One Nation party. Yet it's one that appears on course to continue for years, further dividing the country. 

It is a false comparison just as RTB states.

4 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Indeed, and with our money. The EU never has its own money but your ilk would never understand. 🤣

When we pay the money into the EU budget like we said we would it's no longer our money. That's how it works.

6 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

When we pay the money into the EU budget like we said we would it's no longer our money. That's how it works.

If nobody pays in the EU is broke and we have started the trend by denying them our money.  The fact is that it is our money that they were spending on the Greek transport system.  

Similarly, in the UK, HMG spend taxpayer's money or borrow to provide public services. It is not HMG's money.......  🙃 

14 minutes ago, paul moy said:

If nobody pays in the EU is broke and we have started the trend by denying them our money.  The fact is that it is our money that they were spending on the Greek transport system.  

Similarly, in the UK, HMG spend taxpayer's money or borrow to provide public services. It is not HMG's money.......  🙃 

We are not denying them our money we are still making the budget contributions that we agreed.

If the money you pay to HMG is still yours after you pay why don't you try asking for it back. I think you'll find that they will tell you it's no longer your money.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

We are not denying them our money we are still making the budget contributions that we agreed.

If the money you pay to HMG is still yours after you pay why don't you try asking for it back. I think you'll find that they will tell you it's no longer your money.

I believe you need to earn to pay to HMG, my guess is PM gets his money for nothing and doesn’t want to share the UK handouts with those nasty foreigners!

Anyhow why has the Covid thread been allowed to take the Brexit thread line, why don’t you brexiteers take this back to the Brexit thread! I’m more interested in Covid chat....

Edited by Indy
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Indy said:

Anyhow why has the Covid thread been allowed to take the Brexit thread line, why don’t you brexiteers take this back to the Brexit thread! I’m more interested in Covid chat....

Look back 3 hours and see who brought it into the conversation.

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Can’t be arsed Ricardo, but I look on here for your daily numbers and info on Covid, this has just gone to 🐀 💩

7 minutes ago, Indy said:

Can’t be arsed Ricardo, but I look on here for your daily numbers and info on Covid, this has just gone to 🐀💩

Still waiting for the Government Computer to update. Apparantly a delay in submission of cases by PHE.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Was it that Junckers fellow?? 😉

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Can’t be arsed Ricardo, but I look on here for your daily numbers and info on Covid, this has just gone to 🐀💩

You will have to form your own view about the motivation of a few on here who try to bring everything to back to Brexit. It’s a bit sad but they know who they are. For the rest of us the pandemic is far more important and relevant to our lives 

Edited by Van wink
  • Like 1

Well perhaps it was my fault. I wanted to post about the cost of Covid and borrowing and came across the story that it outshadowed every payment we had ever made to the EU since 1973. I felt it put things into perspective rather than trying to make it about Brexit and I did qualify my point. I wanted to link the cost with the budget and my annoyance that we seemed not to be trying to support the very institutions and key people who have been the backbone in keeping things going. Then the point was taken over and sent to Europe.

So, apologies folks, esp to Ricardo, Van Wink and Indy. I'm happy to take responsibility. I hadn't meant to derail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Well perhaps it was my fault. I wanted to post about the cost of Covid and borrowing and came across the story that it outshadowed every payment we had ever made to the EU since 1973. I felt it put things into perspective rather than trying to make it about Brexit and I did qualify my point. I wanted to link the cost with the budget and my annoyance that we seemed not to be trying to support the very institutions and key people who have been the backbone in keeping things going. Then the point was taken over and sent to Europe.

So, apologies folks, esp to Ricardo, Van Wink and Indy. I'm happy to take responsibility. I hadn't meant to derail.

Never mind Sonyc, it’s a little sad that Brexit is still the focal point with this global tragedy! The reality is we should all celebrate the science from all over the world as well as at home in helping us get out of this! No point scoring and the reality this has shown us how small the world is and how connected we all are! We need to work together on a global scale, level playing field and together make the world a far better place.... I have no time for racism of any type or form, no love lost humanity, we need to show compassion to all and move forward together!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

Never mind Sonyc, it’s a little sad that Brexit is still the focal point with this global tragedy! The reality is we should all celebrate the science from all over the world as well as at home in helping us get out of this! No point scoring and the reality this has shown us how small the world is and how connected we all are! We need to work together on a global scale, level playing field and together make the world a far better place.... I have no time for racism of any type or form, no love lost humanity, we need to show compassion to all and move forward together!

Yes though not intended to be point scoring I have been a little naive in even mentioning the subject. The two areas occasionally collide (like in the vaccine debates) so it's not always a wrong subject to raise. Plenty on here critical of the EU (rightly) about pathetic posturing and slowness to respond.....(damn....I'm starting again😅)

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ricardo said:

National 5497 - 236

992k tests!!!!!!

Local

image.png.6be61524e346435a74c60b9b5d202433.png

image.png.4e70e1ce2657033878ca127b854d67c0.png

image.thumb.png.34a8fcb70d184c3577f9154b899f79e8.png

Nearly a million tests, how times have changed. Looking very promising.

15 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Bit worried about how it's going over the channel. France only doing a third of our testing and finding four times as many positives. Italy on a similar trajectory.

4 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Bit worried about how it's going over the channel. France only doing a third of our testing and finding four times as many positives. Italy on a similar trajectory.

France seem to be consistently over 20,000 cases and figures sadly heading in the wrong direction for them atm. Hopefully Macron can show some real leadership and turn things around.

19 minutes ago, Van wink said:

A controversial question perhaps but does there come a time when we stop this mass testing? 

We heard today that 85% of the £32 billion cost if T&T is spent on testing yet only 0.1% of people being tested are positive. At what point do we say that this is poor value for money and save it for something like cancer screening etc?

Yes, we have built a 'world beating'  testing regime but is that achieving much for us?

24 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Testing most likely boosted by all the kids returning being tested. Lateral flow ones.

Yes, possibly.   Doesn't change the fact that the regime is estimated to cost us £28 billion.  

9 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

A controversial question perhaps but does there come a time when we stop this mass testing? 

We heard today that 85% of the £32 billion cost if T&T is spent on testing yet only 0.1% of people being tested are positive. At what point do we say that this is poor value for money and save it for something like cancer screening etc?

With the number of cases falling the cost of T&T also falls, very few shifts available now which is great.

image.thumb.png.aaaefc4dde8d3a882bdfa605da29a23b.png

Edited by Van wink

10 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

Yes, we have built a 'world beating'  testing regime but is that achieving much for us?

Actually I think testing is incredibly important while we’re trying to start to open up again. We could easily see a big upsurge in cases because those under 60 haven’t been vaccinated and if we have a lot of cases we risk a vaccine-resistant mutation developing. If we keep on with mass testing we may be able to avoid this while continuing to reopen through to June.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Actually I think testing is incredibly important while we’re trying to start to open up again. We could easily see a big upsurge in cases because those under 60 haven’t been vaccinated and if we have a lot of cases we risk a vaccine-resistant mutation developing. If we keep on with mass testing we may be able to avoid this while continuing to reopen through to June.

Testing tracing is crucial to control, and particularly now genomics as variants are the main threat to opening up our lives and economy.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Testing tracing is crucial to control, and particularly now genomics as variants are the main threat to opening up our lives and economy.

Yes can’t emphasise this enough I really think test then trace is crucial for the next few months 

11 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

Yes, possibly.   Doesn't change the fact that the regime is estimated to cost us £28 billion.  

An argument I suppose that if a proper testing system allows us to get people back to work we’d be saving more than that by reducing/ending furlough (and other support schemes for businesses).

There will come a point where the cost of testing outweighs the value, and probably not all that far in the future, but I’d expect testing to be around at least until the majority of people have had both jabs and probably over next winter as well.

Edited by Aggy

11 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

It's a fair question and has been asked before. The BMJ view is attached here (with clear support for financial assistance for those isolating being  considered an effective way to allocate resources).

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n327?utm_source=etoc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=tbmj&utm_content=weekly&utm_term=20210212