Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

22 hours ago, kick it off said:

Surprised this one hasn't made it in here yet - brilliant news, particularly for the developing world and poorer countries. Johnson and Johnson vaccine is safe and effective - 500million units were ordered as part of the Covax project. Cheap and only needs standard refrigeration. Effective against the variants. Sounds like it's not great at stopping moderate symptoms but if it stops hospitalisation and death then it does everything it needs to.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56186965

Also for those following my rage earlier in the week - Firstly, thank you for the support - when teachers are getting a kicking every day in the press, it's reassuring to know not everybody is against us!! The rage has subsided now. I am still bloody angry because this is all so stupid, pointless and avoidable but I have accepted it for what it is. SAGE say 50-70% increase in R-rate and tens of thousands of deaths if schools reopen in the big bang rather than staggered opening. Literally state sponsored murder.

I decided if the government won't protect me, then I will have to protect myself so have just spent £100 of my own money on a HEPA air purification system for my classroom. Outrageous that I have to spend sums like that to be safe at work but I was left with little alternative. It's about the best I can do to protect myself in current circumstances. Catches 99.97% of particulate matter including Covid - should entirely cleanse the air in my classroom 5 x per hour. It's essentially the same air filtration systems they run in hospital operating theatres. Between that and having every window open all day every day (regardless of temperature! sorry kids!) I feel like I should be reasonably protected.

I still think it should be a staggered return and mandatory testing of kids before they step in a classroom (current guidance is voluntary testing, if they refuse they can come in regardless which is wrong in my opinion - they have right to refuse but no test, then stay at home and carry on online would be my solution). I do however feel like with the air filtration, the level of risk is now at an acceptable threshold. Shame that our government are too incompetent and feckless to put it in themselves (USA are putting them in at Biden's behest) but what can you do.

KIO, have you thought about doing a gofundme page for your filter? I''m sure the good folk of the Pinkun would chip in for you

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Looks like Mrs Merkel has been asked if she would take the AZ vaccine but has said she would refuse, what a mess, I guess the press were pushing her on this to get a headline but its not a good look in a country becoming more sceptical about the AZ vaccine.

Of course she is 66 and in Germany the vaccine has been authorised only for under 65 year olds, sadly it just gets worse, wish they would stop digging, lots of AZ vaccine availabe in Germany and not being used.

send it over here and we can start the 24 hour centres 😀

10 hours ago, kick it off said:

Maybe I've just been reading the wrong places, but all I ever see online is "Lazy teachers" "Been off for a year" etc etc. Maybe that's not the case with wider public perception.... which would be nice! 🙂

You can read  ???  😂

10 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

KIO, have you thought about doing a gofundme page for your filter? I''m sure the good folk of the Pinkun would chip in for you

Thanks RTB, but not my style - There's plenty of more worthy and deserving causes out there.

Things not looking good in France atm

"Nice was put under a two-weekend lockdown last week and Dunkirk will require all-day confinement for two weekends from today.

After two weeks of a slight but sustained fall in infections, cases are rising again nationally. On Wednesday there were 31,519 new cases, the highest daily figure since mid-November just before a month-long second lockdown was imposed. “We have erased in one week the two weeks of consecutive drops,” Olivier Véran, the health minister, said on a visit to Dunkirk. “The situation is deteriorating.”

Just had my jab, Pfizer for me! 👍

There were loads in the 50 category and a few younger I’d imagine with conditions, but certainly all ages being vaccinated in the centre here at Kirkley. 
Really well organised and a big thank you from me for all those involved.

• Like 7

More good news on Pfizer

"A single dose of the Pfizer vaccine appears to cut the risk of covid transmission by three quarters, research by Cambridge University suggests. 

Scientists said the findings were “dramatic” and showed that vaccines offered a way out of lockdown and “a much brighter future”.

The study involved almost 9,000 hospital workers who were screened for coronavirus in January, meaning that cases could be detected whether or not symptoms were showing.

It found that 0.8 per cent of tests from unvaccinated workers were positive, compared with just 0.2 per cent of those who had been vaccinated at least 12 days before. A similar reduction was seen among those with symptoms of the virus, when those given the jab were compared with those who had yet to receive it. 

But the impact shown on asymptomatic cases is particularly significant, because it suggests the vaccines are blocking transmission of the virus."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Indy said:

There were loads in the 50 category and a few younger I’d imagine with conditions, but certainly all ages being vaccinated in the centre here at Kirkley. 

Good on you. Us 40 somethings are up next. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Me too Indy. AZ for me. Very professional, lots of people volunteering at a special hub. Nurses clearly very happy and in good spirits because they know they are making a difference. Lots of thank you's echoed through the rooms.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Van wink said:

More good news on Pfizer

"A single dose of the Pfizer vaccine appears to cut the risk of covid transmission by three quarters, research by Cambridge University suggests. 

Scientists said the findings were “dramatic” and showed that vaccines offered a way out of lockdown and “a much brighter future”.

The study involved almost 9,000 hospital workers who were screened for coronavirus in January, meaning that cases could be detected whether or not symptoms were showing.

It found that 0.8 per cent of tests from unvaccinated workers were positive, compared with just 0.2 per cent of those who had been vaccinated at least 12 days before. A similar reduction was seen among those with symptoms of the virus, when those given the jab were compared with those who had yet to receive it. 

But the impact shown on asymptomatic cases is particularly significant, because it suggests the vaccines are blocking transmission of the virus."

It’s all looking very positive, with the science behind any new variant now confident of tweaking any vaccines, it certainly is superb future. Just hope that governments around the world now stick by and help other nations with vaccinations.

Wouldn’t it be nice for this pandemic to show the world how small this globe actually is and we need to work together in the same manner on other massive issues facing us in the near future!

Wouldn't it just, if China can eliminate poverty at a stroke then I guess anything is possible😀😉

Edited by Van wink

Misinformation about the Oxford vaccine from Macron and  Merkel has cost the EU a lot of lives, now they both are saying it's as good  as any other, whilst loads have been wasted 

What a shocking situation!!

"Europe’s AstraZeneca stockpile mounts as citizens snub jab ....Emmanuel Macron forced to extol its virtues after efficacy doubts and adverse publicity damped trust

After battling with AstraZeneca over shipment delays, and even casting doubt over its Covid-19 jab’s efficacy, EU countries are seeing stocks of the company’s shots pile in — unused. As of Friday, France had administered 7 per cent of the 2.5m doses of the two-injection vaccine it received since the first delivery in early February, according to health ministry data. As of Thursday, Germany had given a little over one-fifth of the 1.45 million doses, about the same proportion as Italy, which has received over 1m doses. Spain has used just under a third of a total of 808,000 doses as of Friday. The situation has prompted several European leaders to talk up the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine in recent days, with one French health ministry official even calling for a “collective rehabilitation campaign” to improve its reputation. German chancellor Angela Merkel acknowledged that there was “an acceptance problem with the AstraZeneca vaccine at the moment” that was slowing the jab’s rollout. In an interview with Frankfurter Allgemeine newspaper on Thursday, she urged people to keep an open mind to it: “All the authorities tell us that we can trust this vaccine.” The tone is a change from only weeks ago when European politicians were engaged in an acrimonious battle with AstraZeneca over its deliveries and when French president Emmanuel Macron suggested the vaccine was “quasi-ineffective” on older individuals. Now that they have doses however, EU governments face a sceptical public, in addition to logistical challenges and restrictions of their own devising. Health experts have warned that the continent’s already sluggish rollout could be further hampered if uptake of the Anglo-Swedish company’s vaccine is not improved. The EU had inoculated only 6.82 per 100 people by Friday, compared to 28.6 in the UK, 20.4 in the United States, and 91 in Israel, according to Our World in Data. France has used little of its Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine supply. "

"One dose of the Pfizer vaccine could be enough to protect millions of people who have already had Covid, research by Public Health England suggests.

Scientists said the findings could "potentially accelerate vaccine rollout" if those going for jabs were offered tests to see whether they had antibodies first.

One of the studies, led by researchers at University College London and Public Health England (PHE), tracked 51 health workers in London who had undergone regular tests for antibodies and infection since March.

Roughly half had been infected, and a single dose of the Pfizer vaccine increased their antibody levels more than 140-fold from their peak levels before being inoculated, the study said. This appeared to give them more robust protection than two doses of the vaccine did in people who had never been infected.

"This could potentially accelerate vaccine rollout," the scientists wrote, suggesting that speeding up the programme could also slow the spread of new virus variants. The paper said "wider coverage without compromising vaccine-induced immunity could help reduce variant emergence".

There have been more than four million confirmed cases of Covid in the UK, though this is likely to far underestimate the number of people who have been infected. 

The second study, led by scientists at Imperial College London, measured the immune responses of 72 health workers who were vaccinated in late December. 

One third showed signs of having previously been infected. For them, one dose of the Pfizer vaccine stimulated "very strong" antibody responses, the study said, as well as "very strong T-cell responses", referring to another arm of the immune system."

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Herman said:

Intersting thing from this feed is he also produces similar charts for the rate of decline in May, and its reversed in that the the over 85 group were the slowest to decline, really showing the benefit of vaccinating the elderly.

16 hours ago, Van wink said:

Wouldn't it just, if China can eliminate poverty at a stroke then I guess anything is possible😀😉

Also, around 150,000 over 80s no longer claim benefits in China since last year according to reports, even though they only had 3,000 deaths due to covid.   Strange indeed......

16 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Also, around 150,000 over 80s no longer claim benefits in China since last year according to reports, even though they only had 3,000 deaths due to covid.   Strange indeed......

Mass graves in the desert I reckon. 

1 hour ago, paul moy said:

1 hour ago, The Real Buh said:

Mass graves in the desert I reckon. 

Currently I think the official Chinese CV-19 death toll is about 4,500. Even if we assume as many do it could be 10 times larger that's still only 45,000 in country with an official population of c. 1.4Bn. We should note that the Chinese very much limited the outbreak to Wuhan and the local Hubei province.

However, let's take your extremely dubious and dodgy 150,000 deaths at face value (and your implication that they are all due to Covid - which is obviously untrue). So to make the numbers easy that's 150,000 in country with a population of 1,500,000,000 or about 1 in 10,000. Applying the same logic to the UK that would be about 6,000 deaths max if we were 'as good' as the Chinese at covid-19 suppression.

Hmm. 

We aren't doing very well then are we? We have c. 120,000 deaths so far. Bottom of the class. Need to try harder.

I really don't know what point some people are trying to make apart from being disingenuous with facts or incredibly simple and gullible.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Van wink said:

What a shocking situation!!

"Europe’s AstraZeneca stockpile mounts as citizens snub jab ....Emmanuel Macron forced to extol its virtues after efficacy doubts and adverse publicity damped trust

After battling with AstraZeneca over shipment delays, and even casting doubt over its Covid-19 jab’s efficacy, EU countries are seeing stocks of the company’s shots pile in — unused. As of Friday, France had administered 7 per cent of the 2.5m doses of the two-injection vaccine it received since the first delivery in early February, according to health ministry data. As of Thursday, Germany had given a little over one-fifth of the 1.45 million doses, about the same proportion as Italy, which has received over 1m doses. Spain has used just under a third of a total of 808,000 doses as of Friday. The situation has prompted several European leaders to talk up the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine in recent days, with one French health ministry official even calling for a “collective rehabilitation campaign” to improve its reputation. German chancellor Angela Merkel acknowledged that there was “an acceptance problem with the AstraZeneca vaccine at the moment” that was slowing the jab’s rollout. In an interview with Frankfurter Allgemeine newspaper on Thursday, she urged people to keep an open mind to it: “All the authorities tell us that we can trust this vaccine.” The tone is a change from only weeks ago when European politicians were engaged in an acrimonious battle with AstraZeneca over its deliveries and when French president Emmanuel Macron suggested the vaccine was “quasi-ineffective” on older individuals. Now that they have doses however, EU governments face a sceptical public, in addition to logistical challenges and restrictions of their own devising. Health experts have warned that the continent’s already sluggish rollout could be further hampered if uptake of the Anglo-Swedish company’s vaccine is not improved. The EU had inoculated only 6.82 per 100 people by Friday, compared to 28.6 in the UK, 20.4 in the United States, and 91 in Israel, according to Our World in Data. France has used little of its Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine supply. "

Shocking in terms of disappointing and sad it’s got to that point, yes. Can’t say I’m shocked though that the populace is slow to accept it/sceptical given how the politicians have handled things in the past few weeks and months. 

31 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Currently I think the official Chinese CV-19 death toll is about 4,500. Even if we assume as many do it could be 10 times larger that's still only 45,000 in country with an official population of c. 1.4Bn. We should note that the Chinese very much limited the outbreak to Wuhan and the local Hubei province.

However, let's take your extremely dubious and dodgy 150,000 deaths at face value (and your implication that they are all due to Covid - which is obviously untrue). So to make the numbers easy that's 150,000 in country with a population of 1,500,000,000 or about 1 in 10,000. Applying the same logic to the UK that would be about 6,000 deaths max if we were 'as good' as the Chinese at covid-19 suppression.

Hmm. 

We aren't doing very well then are we? We have c. 120,000 deaths so far. Bottom of the class. Need to try harder.

I really don't know what point some people are trying to make apart from being disingenuous with facts or incredibly simple and gullible.

So it’s just ok for China to blatantly lie yeah?

100 yen has been deposited in your account comrade

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Well, he believes all that comes out of the EU, so Quelle Surprise !!!   

Now what did they say about the AstraZeneca jab ?   😂

Edited by paul moy

47 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Hmm. 

It does seem strange that some are far more concerned with what is going on hundreds or thousands of miles away but are completely oblivious to what has gone on on their own doorstep.I'm not sure why.😉

• Like 1

Whilst the vaccine roll-out has actually been relatively effective, don't forget how much of a dithering idiot BJ and his cronies have been before now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Can't even get the currency right.

Renminbi (RMB)  or Yuan (CNY). Yen would be Japanese ?

Vacant is as vacant does ?

100 RMB I always think of as £10 notes.

Edited by Yellow Fever