Jump to content
Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

Recommended Posts

KIO,

Do you wear a face mask? (are they allowed?) I don't mean the screen type.

If you can, then get some FFP3 masks, these give the best protection (for disposable type masks).

I have a few of these that I wear when I go to clients, left for a min of 3 days between uses.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news on Pfizer 

 

"The research in Israel - two months into one of the world’s fastest rollouts, providing a rich source of data - showed two doses of the Pfizer shot cut symptomatic COVID-19 cases by 94% across all age groups, and severe illnesses by nearly as much.

The study of about 1.2 million people also showed a single shot was 57% effective in protecting against symptomatic infections after two weeks, according to the data published and peer-reviewed in the New England Journal of Medicine on Wednesday."

 

Message also seems to me however that particularly for those over 80, the single shot of Pfizer gives a low level of immunity so second dose is very important. Should we be reviewing the 12 week strategy for Pfizer in light of these findings, seems to me that we most definitely should. 

 

"The Pfizer vaccine provides strong protection against Covid symptoms and severe disease after two doses but markedly lower protection after a single dose, the first large-scale peer-reviewed study of the real-world effectiveness of the vaccine has found.

Separate survey data published by the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) found that for those over 80 who had received just a single dose of the Pfizer vaccine blood antibodies were relatively low at 34.7 per cent.

The study by Israel's Clalit Research Institute was conducted in collaboration with researchers from Harvard University and published in the prestigious New England Journal of Medicine on Tuesday night.

It found two doses of the Pfizer vaccine reduced symptomatic Covid-19 by 94 per cent and severe disease by 92 per cent. A single dose reduced symptomatic Covid-19 by 57 per cent and severe disease by 62 per cent after three weeks"

 

Edited by Van wink
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, SteveN8458 said:

KIO,

Do you wear a face mask? (are they allowed?) I don't mean the screen type.

If you can, then get some FFP3 masks, these give the best protection (for disposable type masks).

I have a few of these that I wear when I go to clients, left for a min of 3 days between uses.

 

In communal areas of school yes, but not allowed to wear one whilst teaching. I was thinking that I needed to look into the masks in more detail so appreciate the heads up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Good news on Pfizer 

I'm not deep into the vaccine info as it will come too late for the "at risk" period for me(/family), so I haven't really kept on top of the info but I thought 57% after 1 dose was lower than expected?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I'm not deep into the vaccine info as it will come too late for the "at risk" period for me(/family), so I haven't really kept on top of the info but I thought 57% after 1 dose was lower than expected?

Thats after two weeks I believe KIO.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Van wink said:

 Should we be reviewing the 12 week strategy for Pfizer in light of these findings, seems to me that we most definitely 

It found two doses of the Pfizer vaccine reduced symptomatic Covid-19 by 94 per cent and severe disease by 92 per cent. A single dose reduced symptomatic Covid-19 by 57 per cent and severe disease by 62 per cent after three weeks"

 

Should we be reviewing? Yes,  but that is true if all measures, all of the time.

 If we assume that immunity will be fairly constant between weeks 3 and 12 and as 62% is more than half of 92% the policy we have now is the right one in determining roll out within a group.

What we should be asking though is should we go to less  vulnerable groups before second doses go into the most at risk. This is a much more difficult question and raises issues of effect on spread as much as it does questions about severity of disease.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

le groups before second doses go into the most at risk. This is a much more difficult question and raises issues of effect on spread as much as it does questions about severity of disease.

This is the true conundrum - Is it better to stop/limit spread (and hence infection and worse) than try to simply treat the infected.

Alternatively are we using the vaccine roll out currently to limit the symptoms and not the cause ?

I fear with the schools going back and by definition the children unvaccinated, most of the staff, teachers and parents also we can only expect a surge in infections in those groups rapidly spreading elsewhere.

Will we be able to hold it in check until Easter ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

National

9985 - 323

Over 740k tests today

Local

image.png.3a9a9fec2f5135ca6a8d22e021f28121.png

image.thumb.png.ec9dc86eeed78d886256c0369a211ddc.png

Another big ramp up as second doses slowly increase.

Edited by ricardo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, ricardo said:

National

9985 - 323

Over 740k tests today

Local

image.png.3a9a9fec2f5135ca6a8d22e021f28121.png

image.thumb.png.ec9dc86eeed78d886256c0369a211ddc.png

Another big ramp up as second doses slowly increase.

That’s a massive number of tests Ricardo, is this reflecting the surge testing?  Massive increase in testing capacity, a good job done by those concerned. ( and a shout out for the tracers who get a lot of bad press in the media and on here! )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Scandalous behaviour from the EU

F329E499-75DC-4622-8C57-F4DA1A6AE7F8.jpeg

Really irritates me no end to see this seemingly "its all in the mind" attitude of Germany in general towards the AZ vaccine, when here at home i cannot still get a 1st jab even thou im in the over 65 age group, with our situation seeing a huge take up of the vaccine. Just dont understand the mentality of the German populace, when science has stated over and over  how pretty good the AZ vaccine is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

Really irritates me no end to see this seemingly "its all in the mind" attitude of Germany in general towards the AZ vaccine, when here at home i cannot still get a 1st jab even thou im in the over 65 age group, with our situation seeing a huge take up of the vaccine. Just dont understand the mentality of the German populace, when science has stated over and over  how pretty good the AZ vaccine is.

This might help, it's open to all 60 and over. A couple of friends booked it today.

https://www.nhs.uk/book-a-coronavirus-vaccination/do-you-have-an-nhs-number

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Scandalous behaviour from the EU

F329E499-75DC-4622-8C57-F4DA1A6AE7F8.jpeg

 

This is surely a German problem not an EU one Buh.

Does you no credit to confuse simpletons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Infection numbers shooting up in Europe. France, Germany and Italy recorded highest numbers yesterday for some weeks.

Merkel and Macron will regret fanning the flames of vaccine hesitancy.

Edited by ricardo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Infection numbers shooting up in Europe. France, Germany and Italy recorded highest numbers yesterday for some weeks.

Merkel and Macron will regret fanning the flames of vaccine hesitancy.

Absolutely, the whole thing has been managed appallingly, and the comments by the likes of Macron really are beyond belief.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

 

This is surely a German problem not an EU one Buh.

Does you no credit to confuse simpletons.

Vaccine issue is an EU one not specifically German. Although they are all doing unique things as member states to **** it up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Real Buh said:

Vaccine issue is an EU one not specifically German. Although they are all doing unique things as member states to **** it up

image.png.3bf5c565dccecf47a7329a7bd63a984e.png

Two truths.

They are making a mess of the vaccine supply. It's not good.

We have ****ed up everything bar the vaccine. It's not good.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Herman said:

image.png.3bf5c565dccecf47a7329a7bd63a984e.png

Two truths.

They are making a mess of the vaccine supply. It's not good.

We have ****ed up everything bar the vaccine. It's not good.

 

Nobody’s done a perfect job, never claimed we or anyone else had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Herman said:

image.png.3bf5c565dccecf47a7329a7bd63a984e.png

Two truths.

They are making a mess of the vaccine supply. It's not good.

We have ****ed up everything bar the vaccine. It's not good.

 

I saw this on the other thread too Herman, believe me - I know our Government have f***ed up so much but I really do find it hard to believe we are that much worse than France. They seem to have got at least as much wrong as us but amazingly are coping even better than Germany over the last few weeks...............and I am prone to believing German statistics  🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mark .Y. said:

I saw this on the other thread too Herman, believe me - I know our Government have f***ed up so much but I really do find it hard to believe we are that much worse than France. They seem to have got at least as much wrong as us but amazingly are coping even better than Germany over the last few weeks...............and I am prone to believing German statistics  🙂

 

I think it has always been said wait till the end before making judgements, we have made huge mistakes and so have others, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, kick it off said:

Surprised this one hasn't made it in here yet - brilliant news, particularly for the developing world and poorer countries. Johnson and Johnson vaccine is safe and effective - 500million units were ordered as part of the Covax project. Cheap and only needs standard refrigeration. Effective against the variants. Sounds like it's not great at stopping moderate symptoms but if it stops hospitalisation and death then it does everything it needs to.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56186965

Also for those following my rage earlier in the week - Firstly, thank you for the support - when teachers are getting a kicking every day in the press, it's reassuring to know not everybody is against us!! The rage has subsided now. I am still bloody angry because this is all so stupid, pointless and avoidable but I have accepted it for what it is. SAGE say 50-70% increase in R-rate and tens of thousands of deaths if schools reopen in the big bang rather than staggered opening. Literally state sponsored murder.

I decided if the government won't protect me, then I will have to protect myself so have just spent £100 of my own money on a HEPA air purification system for my classroom. Outrageous that I have to spend sums like that to be safe at work but I was left with little alternative. It's about the best I can do to protect myself in current circumstances. Catches 99.97% of particulate matter including Covid - should entirely cleanse the air in my classroom 5 x per hour. It's essentially the same air filtration systems they run in hospital operating theatres. Between that and having every window open all day every day (regardless of temperature! sorry kids!) I feel like I should be reasonably protected.

I still think it should be a staggered return and mandatory testing of kids before they step in a classroom (current guidance is voluntary testing, if they refuse they can come in regardless which is wrong in my opinion - they have right to refuse but no test, then stay at home and carry on online would be my solution). I do however feel like with the air filtration, the level of risk is now at an acceptable threshold. Shame that our government are too incompetent and feckless to put it in themselves (USA are putting them in at Biden's behest) but what can you do.

I'm not sure why you think that KIO........... the vast majority of people I know fully back teachers. Not just in these strange times but also when things were "normal". Of course there are the odd bad eggs......... but that is true of every profession, the overwhelming thing that I have come across is that teachers are generally very well supported by the public.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mark .Y. said:

I saw this on the other thread too Herman, believe me - I know our Government have f***ed up so much but I really do find it hard to believe we are that much worse than France. They seem to have got at least as much wrong as us but amazingly are coping even better than Germany over the last few weeks...............and I am prone to believing German statistics  🙂

 

I actually think its a pretty confused picture with the various variants.

Yes we messed up badly in December and the Christmas relaxation with the UK variant making hay - in effect let it rip.  Our recent hard lockdown has clearly won out and the vaccines will hopefully see it get to really low levels possibly with a bump or two in the road.

In Germany and France - the UK variant was less prevalent and they managed to keep it at bay for longer - Germany certainly and as per us now they are getting the vaccines out.  

I think we'll all have to see what happens next!

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Mark .Y. said:

I'm not sure why you think that KIO........... the vast majority of people I know fully back teachers. Not just in these strange times but also when things were "normal". Of course there are the odd bad eggs......... but that is true of every profession, the overwhelming thing that I have come across is that teachers are generally very well supported by the public.  

Maybe I've just been reading the wrong places, but all I ever see online is "Lazy teachers" "Been off for a year" etc etc. Maybe that's not the case with wider public perception.... which would be nice! 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Maybe I've just been reading the wrong places, but all I ever see online is "Lazy teachers" "Been off for a year" etc etc. Maybe that's not the case with wider public perception.... which would be nice! 🙂

Most of us support teachers and the work they do, we have all been to school and most have sent our kids through the state system, it does though give us all an “expert” opinion based on our own experience, some of which may have been in a different time zone.

What I will tell you is I have huge admiration for teachers, I was vice chair of governors at our local “ middle school” as it was then and also a governor at our local high school. I had the “privelage” of sitting in on a few French lessons at our High school and to be honest was shocked at the behaviour of the pupils. I don’t know what has happened with society but at my school when I was a kid some of the behaviours I witnessed would have been met with a close encounter with a flexible cane.  Makes me sound really old, but it’s not that long ago really. Anyway society has to account for the way society behaves but as for the role of teachers I applaud you in a very challenging environment.👍

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still can’t get my head round not getting teachers vaccinated before the 8th!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kick it off said:

Maybe I've just been reading the wrong places, but all I ever see online is "Lazy teachers" "Been off for a year" etc etc. Maybe that's not the case with wider public perception.... which would be nice! 🙂

it's basically just the new working class populist movement that have this ignorant attitude. No surprises there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ricardo said:

Infection numbers shooting up in Europe. France, Germany and Italy recorded highest numbers yesterday for some weeks.

Merkel and Macron will regret fanning the flames of vaccine hesitancy.

Looks like Mrs Merkel has been asked if she would take the AZ vaccine but has said she would refuse, what a mess, I guess the press were pushing her on this to get a headline but its not a good look in a country becoming more sceptical about the AZ vaccine.

Of course she is 66 and in Germany the vaccine has been authorised only for under 65 year olds, sadly it just gets worse, wish they would stop digging, lots of AZ vaccine availabe in Germany and not being used.

Edited by Van wink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...