Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

47 minutes ago, Van wink said:
  47 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Nationalism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. If this virus does nothing more than make people realise that nationalism should be confined to Sport and little else, then there is its silver lining.One world one race. 

Sorry that's just factually untrue - unless you want to redefine the meaning of the word 'race'.

What's important is whether it has any significance. I would say it doesn't.

The important differences are cultural, & they are significant, & they do exist.

2 minutes ago, Mark .Y. said:

T,

I don't know what meeting that was but I thought the rhetoric from the Government was that they are speaking to their opposite numbers in Europe regularly (not sure if that is true or not !). Also wonder why only 8 European countries took part, what happened to the rest of them, seems a bit strange to me ???

Sorry to disagree again but I don't think the quality of information is very good at all. I still have seen no update on the amount of people tested yesterday which didn't include Manchester and Leeds apparently. I don't see an easy place to go and see how many people are in intensive care (though I accept it may exist and I haven't seen it) and I would like to see a clear figure for how many ICU beds are still available (either as a percentage or the actual number).

I hate the idea of complaining at this particularly difficult time but it does seem poor to me. 

It was just 8 major countries. The code is open source so will be generally available. I just think the UK is a major country and would expect them to participate rather than follow  

I think the info on the NHS sites is better than I’ve seen elsewhere. I think most countries want to improve the data for managing this by more testing and using technology. The data analytics available these days that we all see for instance in the advertising and marketing we receive can also be applied to this issue.  I don’t disagree that the data needs improving and I’m sure the experts agree. All the experts agree if you don’t measure something you can’t manage it. But for instance there are daily briefing and q and a in the UK which you doesn’t occur in other countries. I wish the politicians  would just be honest and answer the questions though rather than give their rehearsed answer but I understand why when people are so keen to be critical  No they won’t be releasing the restrictions soon  No it will take longer to achieve the testing target as it is taking longer to develop reliable anti body testing than expected  I understand and accept that but just be honest and straightforward about it please 

6 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Sorry that's just factually untrue - unless you want to redefine the meaning of the word 'race'.

The important differences are cultural, & they are significant, & they do exist.

We all share 99pc of the same DNA I read the other day. Same race. I would agree not by definition but we have a lot more in common than differences about 99pc the same in fact. 

Just now, T said:

We all share 99pc of the same DNA I read the other day. Same race. I would agree not by definition but we have a lot more in common than differences about 99pc the same in fact. 

We also share 98% of our DNA with the great apes, does this make them the same race? (Hilarity will doubtless ensue).

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, T said:

No that is wrong its 99.9%😉 all humans are the same species

Edited by ricardo

24 minutes ago, Ian said:

I don't doubt it might help, but I think it would have limited application. Along with technology reliability, the main issue is that nobody actually knows how many asymptomatic and/or very mild cases have existed and helped to spread the virus. Presumably this required self-identity to show whether people have the virus?

I also expect S Korea - being a high technology society probably have a higher percentage of users than over here but who knows?

This is where fitness trackers corona virus app helps. It knows I’ve a raised resting heart rate. It knows that I’m not training so gives locations where people are sick. It obviously wouldn’t help if asymptotic but would help if sick  

I think if you are a confirmed case you would enter into the app as data is anonymous it then sends an automatic anonymous message to people who have been in close contact with you. It doesn’t give location details. 95pc of Young Generation have smart phone. 55pc of older generation. 

Absolutely no one claiming that this is a Full Solution just a Tool which is part of the Solution giving Meta data which is just not available at the moment. 

I wouldn’t compare different races to apes personally. 

i do find we have a lot more in common than differences around the world. You can either choose to focus on the fundamental things that  we have in common or the minor cultural differences. 

12 minutes ago, T said:

It was just 8 major countries. The code is open source so will be generally available. I just think the UK is a major country and would expect them to participate rather than follow  

I think the info on the NHS sites is better than I’ve seen elsewhere. I think most countries want to improve the data for managing this by more testing and using technology. The data analytics available these days that we all see for instance in the advertising and marketing we receive can also be applied to this issue.  I don’t disagree that the data needs improving and I’m sure the experts agree. All the experts agree if you don’t measure something you can’t manage it. But for instance there are daily briefing and q and a in the UK which you doesn’t occur in other countries. I wish the politicians  would just be honest and answer the questions though rather than give their rehearsed answer but I understand why when people are so keen to be critical  No they won’t be releasing the restrictions soon  No it will take longer to achieve the testing target as it is taking longer to develop reliable anti body testing than expected  I understand and accept that but just be honest and straightforward about it please 

Ah, you were talking about the App thing - sorry, thought you were referring to the overall response.

Agree completely, I am finding myself switching the TV off because they are simply not answering the questions and the journalists are not pressing them hard enough for the answers.

The Dutch public health website (you can select English language) seems far better than anything we have. Interestingly enough too, they talk about acquiring herd immunity hence why their childrens playgrounds are open, shops can be open as long as social distancing is being practiced etc.

Dutch public health website

9 minutes ago, ricardo said:

No that is wrong its 99.9%😉 all humans are the same species

Good point ricardo. Is it like butterflies? Individual butterflies can show large variations in markings & size, e'g. Meadow Browns, but still be part of the same species.

4 minutes ago, Mark .Y. said:

Ah, you were talking about the App thing - sorry, thought you were referring to the overall response.

Agree completely, I am finding myself switching the TV off because they are simply not answering the questions and the journalists are not pressing them hard enough for the answers.

The Dutch public health website (you can select English language) seems far better than anything we have. Interestingly enough too, they talk about acquiring herd immunity hence why their childrens playgrounds are open, shops can be open as long as social distancing is being practiced etc.

Dutch public health website

I didn’t specify to be honest but that was what I was thinking. Yes I would hope they are looking at what other countries and thinking what can be improved and I think those from a scientific background are but also by the same token I also think other countries should be looking at the UK. I suspect everyone is frantically inward focusing at the moment but it makes sense to cooperate on the way out and learn for the future which is far more important than the blame culture. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Only in your mind Herman.

People quite naturally  want to rule their own affairs.

Spend your time better by looking at the differences between types of nationalism. Some come from a exceptionalist and superior point of view. Some come from a GENUINE loss of sovereignty. 

1 hour ago, ron obvious said:

Ok one Humanity. Apologies Ronno, my eyesight is not sufficient  for hair splitting.  I agree ref cultural differences, which should be celebrated, not used by those of a nationalist mindset to create  divisions. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, T said:

This is where fitness trackers corona virus app helps. It knows I’ve a raised resting heart rate. It knows that I’m not training so gives locations where people are sick.

The computers know everything.

Doctors to be made redundant in the next 10-15 years.  Nurses in the next 30. Delivery drivers and supermarket workers......

All humam endeavour declared pointless by 2071. You heard it here first.

22 minutes ago, Herman said:

Spend your time better by looking at the differences between types of nationalism. Some come from a exceptionalist and superior point of view. Some come from a GENUINE loss of sovereignty. 

Every nation is exceptional. I regard German, French, whatever to be just as exceptional as ours.

I think any superiority of one nation over another is accidental. Nevertheless I prefer certain national traits to others.

9 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Banana declared to be 60% human in 2021

Ive just eaten one, am I a cannibal?🍌

(Provisional) Weekly death figures from week ending 27 March (week 13 of the year) now published. 

In week 13 in 2020, 18.8 per cent of all deaths were related to “coronavirus, flu or pneumonia.” This is still lower than the five year average - which suggests on average over the last five years, 19.6 per cent of deaths in week 13 were related to flu or pneumonia.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending27march2020

Whilst the percentage of deaths caused by coronavirus, pneumonia and flu remains in week 13 of 2020 remains smaller than the percentage of average number of deaths caused by pneumonia and flu in week over the last five years, according to the BBC app, the bank of France has said the contraction in the French economy in the last months has been the worst since the war. The Financial Times is reporting that the economic contraction in the Uk in 2020 could be the worst since 1900.

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Only if you ate all fore skins on the banana.

Used to wind my mum up  bjgtime when peeling a banana as a kid.....".one skin, two skins, three skins.....aaaaand ffffffffinaly the last one"...... never failed to get her in a tizzy.  Shes 93 now and next time I phone her , I think I'll have a banana,  itll cheer her up no end.

This is either a case of "I don't like Mondays" or a lesson in don't make assumptions about a three day "trend" in the "data".

Mondau.jpg

Edited by Surfer

I hope that every poster on the Pink'un, and their families, are holding it together (physically, mentally, financially) and staying safe in these very worrying times.

I do like getting a rise out of people on the odd football thread, and I've had real arguments with a few, but obviously I hope we come out of this with our numbers unaffected and everybody in good health. 

2 hours ago, Aggy said:

(Provisional) Weekly death figures from week ending 27 March (week 13 of the year) now published. 

In week 13 in 2020, 18.8 per cent of all deaths were related to “coronavirus, flu or pneumonia.” This is still lower than the five year average - which suggests on average over the last five years, 19.6 per cent of deaths in week 13 were related to flu or pneumonia.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending27march2020

Interesting that, although we aren't at the peak yet so lets see what week 15 looks like. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

Apparently when someone takes a bite out of a kiwi fruit.....a New Zealander screams!..... 

13 minutes ago, Surfer said:

This is either a case of "I don't like Monday's" or a session in don't make assumptions about a three day "trend" 

Mondau.jpg

Aye, with over 900 deaths  as a new high and maybe, like France, over 1000 tomorrow, its now clear that Italy / Spain had it bad, but now the epicentre has moved to UK /France / Belgium...and is even worse than what Italy / Spain had. As ive believed all along, we will be in total or  at least partial lockdowns for months ahead..people, even the lead medical / science guys, try to make head or tail of peaks, flattening curves, trends, and the like for any small sign of comfort...but reality says its 3-6 months minimum...maybe longer. Italy  reach a month in lockdown tomorrow and they are still getting 600 or more deaths a day...we and France are now getting higher death rates than Italy had and its still increasing..thats the reality.

3 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

..but reality says its 3-6 months minimum...maybe longer. Italy  reach a month in lockdown tomorrow and they are still getting 600 or more deaths a day...we and France are now getting higher death rates than Italy had and its still increasing..thats the reality.

In the meantime the PL will soon kick off behind locked doors so we can all be cheered up by a festival of football.

Pigs may also fly.

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Pigs may also fly

Or Fry, to get back to the bacon. Wonder if Marcus  was ever called "streaky " Rashford.  

18 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

Aye, with over 900 deaths  as a new high and maybe, like France, over 1000 tomorrow, its now clear that Italy / Spain had it bad, but now the epicentre has moved to UK /France / Belgium...and is even worse than what Italy / Spain had. As ive believed all along, we will be in total or  at least partial lockdowns for months ahead..people, even the lead medical / science guys, try to make head or tail of peaks, flattening curves, trends, and the like for any small sign of comfort...but reality says its 3-6 months minimum...maybe longer. Italy  reach a month in lockdown tomorrow and they are still getting 600 or more deaths a day...we and France are now getting higher death rates than Italy had and its still increasing..thats the reality.

Did you read those IHME analyses Essjayess? I know you read intelligence from a few sources. States the UK could end up with 40% of mortality. Seriously frightening analysis which is at odds from anything else I've read. States too that by 17th we may see 2000+ deaths. Some other analysts have disagreed of course.

The source is freely available via usual online search.

Edited by sonyc