Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

7 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Indeed

Oxford and London have both said Uni courses should be online to begin with and have made the government aware of the consequences of a full reopening.

Look at places like Canterbury with two Uni’s where their population something like doubles during Term time, disaster waiting to happen.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Yeh ok, over reacted, apology. I’m just feeling so peed off atm, it’s been so obvious what’s been coming yet I have been watching people coming to the North Norfolk coast all summer and behaving as if there had been no pandemic and everything was fine and I hear people on radio phone ins etc using Cummings as an excuse for this. He has a huge culpability but it’s to easy to blame him for ones own failure to behave. 

People ringing up on the radio often have over-exaggerated views don't they? ("Wass gorn orn" type utterings) and they may only represent a small cohort of views! But...that said agree it's been obvious what might happen. My annoyance is focussed, as Yellow Fever touched on, on the fact that we've not given out consistent or strong enough messages. It's been so laissez-faire as to be ridiculous. I've posted a few times. It's a f***ing pandemic....we need strong leadership!! Maybe it would not changed a thing though?

Trouble ahead.

Why doesn't the government just give over to scientists doing the messaging. We got a snippet  recently from Van-Tam. I trust the scientists more!

So if we have to "learn to live with this" forever, I'd be interested to know what the figures look like for a typical flu season.

I hate to do the old "compare it to flu" thing but if its going to become a balancing act with the economy etc. I wonder what sort of winter outbreak we can get away with without the NHS being overwhelmed?

I wonder if that whole rumoured over 50s isolation plan will be considered? As harsh and unbelievable as it may seem, it may be the best way to keep hospital figures down while the virus in "Thanos, I am inevitable" style smashes through our population.

As an aside, I just went to look at Frances figures and a "travel PCR test" advert came up for £93. As a crumb of comfort, deaths still don't seem to have increased significantly in France... Has anywhere had a proper "2nd wave" of deaths yet? edit: just seen Frances deaths today 😔

Edited by Tetteys Jig

8 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Look at places like Canterbury with two Uni’s where their population something like doubles during Term time, disaster waiting to happen.

Exactly what we have seen here in the US. For example University of Alabama - over 500 cases identified within a single week. 

Universities in California are on-line only until further notice. It's unfortunately another Democrat v Republican led State issue. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/college-campuses-face-explosion-covid-19-cases-challenges-get-students-n1238053

5 minutes ago, sonyc said:

People ringing up on the radio often have over-exaggerated views don't they? ("Wass gorn orn" type utterings) and they may only represent a small cohort of views! But...that said agree it's been obvious what might happen. My annoyance is focussed, as Yellow Fever touched on, on the fact that we've not given out consistent or strong enough messages. It's been so laissez-faire as to be ridiculous. I've posted a few times. It's a f***ing pandemic....we need strong leadership!! Maybe it would not changed a thing though?

Trouble ahead.

Why doesn't the government just give over to scientists doing the messaging. We got a snippet  recently from Van-Tam. I trust the scientists more!

They do indeed, but not all, and these are views often echoed by commentators. The messaging has be poor, it’s been better in Scotland according to many, not sure they have done a great deal better in terms of infections. 
Fully agree on the scientists, they were not comfortable with unlocking when we still had 2000 infections a day, they will have known as many of us did that the lowering of infection rates over the summer was merely a pause, yet we heard nothing from them. Would people have even paid attention.

15 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Exactly what we have seen here in the US. For example University of Alabama - over 500 cases identified within a single week. 

Universities in California are on-line only until further notice. It's unfortunately another Democrat v Republican led State issue. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/college-campuses-face-explosion-covid-19-cases-challenges-get-students-n1238053

Yes I put the New York Times story on the come on Sarah thread this morning. Think the figure was 50,000 infections to date, with 60 deaths but the thing that doesn’t get reported, the huge number of young getting life time disabilities.

Anyone watching BBC news ?

They just reported that hospital numbers have doubled this week in Birmingham and they expect it to double each week now.

21 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

So if we have to "learn to live with this" forever, I'd be interested to know what the figures look like for a typical flu season.

I hate to do the old "compare it to flu" thing but if its going to become a balancing act with the economy etc. I wonder what sort of winter outbreak we can get away with without the NHS being overwhelmed?

I wonder if that whole rumoured over 50s isolation plan will be considered? As harsh and unbelievable as it may seem, it may be the best way to keep hospital figures down while the virus in "Thanos, I am inevitable" style smashes through our population.

As an aside, I just went to look at Frances figures and a "travel PCR test" advert came up for £93. As a crumb of comfort, deaths still don't seem to have increased significantly in France... Has anywhere had a proper "2nd wave" of deaths yet? edit: just seen Frances deaths today 😔

Hi Tettey

Being a 60 year old diabetic I would be relieved if they locked down over 50’s ( I know this is very controversial ). 
BBC are reporting the first infections this time round in care homes as it is brought in unwittingly by carers. Lock care homes down NOW, 2 weeks time will be to late.

13 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Anyone watching BBC news ?

They just reported that hospital numbers have doubled this week in Birmingham and they expect it to double each week now.

Yes I did WBB. It was chilling. The hospital chief bloke looked very worried.

10 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Hi Tettey

Being a 60 year old diabetic I would be relieved if they locked down over 50’s ( I know this is very controversial ). 
BBC are reporting the first infections this time round in care homes as it is brought in unwittingly by carers. Lock care homes down NOW, 2 weeks time will be to late.

Do you mind me asking if you are type 1 or 2 WBB? I've read a lot of late about ways of reversing type 2....reason for asking. I recently found out I'm prediabetic (only a bit older than you) so I'm making lots of small changes.

Full lockdown is just around the corner, I can see a 10pm curfew soon plus over 50’s asked to stay at home and self isolate. Care homes will be locked down with no visitors, it’s going to be a tough winter. Only hope is a vaccine

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

Yes I did WBB. It was chilling. The hospital chief bloke looked very worried.

And resigned to the fact. He wasn’t even saying unless we change, he was saying ‘ we see no reason why the numbers would not double again next week, the week after and the week after that. Let’s pray some of the treatments we have reported in the come on Sarah thread really work.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Do you mind me asking if you are type 1 or 2 WBB? I've read a lot of late about ways of reversing type 2....reason for asking. I recently found out I'm prediabetic (only a bit older than you) so I'm making lots of small changes.

Yes I am type 2, have always weighed 14 - 15 stone ( 5ft 7 ), but as soon as I heard what was happening to diabetics in China I changed. My diet changed completely and even via a WII I started exercising. I lost 4 stone, and believe I am remission. PM me I have some breaking news read the come on Sarah thread urgent.

These things are normally for the Come On Sarah Thread but here is breaking news via Midlands News a bit like your Look East.

West Midlands news have just reported breaking news that the vaccine ( apparently there are 2 ) will commence in October in The West Midlands. More to follow, but apparently being distributed as we speak.

Very worrying. It can work out if everyone remains committed to the process - especially masks. Here in California we don't have offices open yet, but shops, restaurants and cinemas just allowed a limited number of people inside after several months of pick up or outdoor service only. We are still testing testing, testing, despite recent reagent shortages and lab capacity issues ... so case numbers are falling and rather quickly. On the other hand another State that also has a Disney park looks like it also has good new cases news, but maybe it's "we can't find cases if we stop testing for them", and their death rate may be trending up again. 

(Dashed line US 7 day avg;  CA 4% , FL 16% +ve test) 

TWo States.jpg

Edited by Surfer

11 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Full lockdown is just around the corner, I can see a 10pm curfew soon plus over 50’s asked to stay at home and self isolate. Care homes will be locked down with no visitors, it’s going to be a tough winter. Only hope is a vaccine

I'd put the chance of another full lockdown as near to nil as makes no difference.

Full lockdown will not happen. Christmas is a time when many companies, especially the retail trade, make up to 50% of their money and sales.

This Government have been awful during the crisis but a full lockdown will send too many to the wall.

Many will lose their jobs when furlough ends as it is.

Morally it stinks, but even a leftie like me can see that its six or two threes in this situation.

There will be localised restrictions but lockdowns of the nature we saw in March, April etc are a thing of the past. Looking at the results of various forms of lockdown seem to indicate that they are of limited use in any event.

Here is an extremely thought provoking video which promotes the alternative view on lockdowns and a second wave. Bound to raise a few hackles I'm sure😉

All very much like yesterday

Latest UK Numbers  3497 - 6

Inpatients  884 up from 863

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Yesterdays European.

Italy   1616 - 10

France 9406 - 80

Spain   4708  - 48

Germany  1422  - 4

positives still under 2%

France overtakes UK on total infections

Edited by ricardo

16 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Yesterdays European.

Italy   1616 - 10

France 9406 - 80

Spain   4708  - 48

Germany  1422  - 4

positives still under 2%

To clarify, that’s 884 total in hospital, with 21 admissions today, (not 884 daily admissions today up from 863 daily admissions yesterday)? 

6 minutes ago, Aggy said:

To clarify, that’s 884 total in hospital, with 21 admissions today, (not 884 daily admissions today up from 863 daily admissions yesterday)? 

Correct

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Do you think the reason  for more positives is more testing ?

Its obviously part of it. Fatalities have not picked up yet and even France and Spain, supposedly a couple of weeks ahead are still not showing anything like the March / April level of acceleration. The video I posted earlier may well be proved correct. As always time will tell.

26 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Yes, it is --- The majority of those testing positive are also showing no symptoms and the virus will remain out there until we've garnered herd immunity -- That has always been the case.

Edited by Jools

1 hour ago, Jools said:

Yes, it is --- The majority of those testing positive are also showing no symptoms and the virus will remain out there until we've garnered herd immunity -- That has always been the case.

2 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Edited by Aggy

1 hour ago, Jools said:

he case.

Edited by Aggy

4 hours ago, Aggy said:

Net admissions of 21 I would guess.  I imagine some people got to leave hospital in the preferred manner.

Edited by Barbe bleu
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ricardo said:

Yesterdays European.

Italy   1616 - 10

France 9406 - 80

Spain   4708  - 48

Germany  1422  - 4

positives still under 2%

Hi Ricardo

Obviously these figures are from the ONS. On the Midlands news last night one hospital the QE in Birmingham was saying they now have 80 admissions, with 9 already in ICU. They were clearly concerned and went as far as saying 2 of those in icu were in their 20s with no underlying conditions. They were also deeply concerned about the number of people walking into A & E with coronavirus symptoms. They also mentioned they expected deaths to start occurring in 2 weeks.