Jump to content
Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
On 11/08/2020 at 10:46, Herman said:

Why is Sweden still being lauded as an example to follow? 

I told you why back in April and again on pg 332 of this thread:

 

Jools ~ The Swedes are suggesting the virus is no different to any other flu:

https://softwaredevelopmentperestroika.wordpress.com/2020/07/06/sweden-is-back-to-normal/

And as I suggested back in April, it's looking like the government should've gone with their initial plan of 'Herd Immunity'...

Unfortunately, the government were persuaded to lockdown on the strength of a Lefty scientist who threatened half a million Covid 19 deaths by now...

Labour would've done nothing differently --- In fact the consequences would likely have been dire.

 

Your reply to the above:

Herminge ~ Blimey, you write some utter pony at times but this is probably the worst I've seen. A clear refusal to look at the facts to see what actually happened and is happening  👈🙃

Edited by Jools
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, sonyc said:

Look what I shared: What we can learn from the Swedish paradox - UnHerd https://unherd.com/2020/08/why-sweden-is-different-when-it-comes-to-covid/

 

A view here on Sweden and their approach / culture. It explains Tegnell well I think.

Bit late to the party, sonyc 😜

Looks like overactivity on this message board leads to poor concentration...

See Herman, Billock and their alter egos for further proof 😃

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Jools said:

Bit late to the party, sonyc 😜

Looks like overactivity on this message board leads to poor concentration...

See Herman, Billock and their alter egos for further proof 😃

I didn't realise I was late to any party Jools. I've been active on this thread since inception. The Swedish article was offered because of discussions and questions between a number of posters (not you I believe) and it offered a view on the cultural domain.

Sweden has been discussed many times on this thread. I don't think anyone knows what the answers are. We may know after a good passage of time once lessons are learned.

In the meantime, I don't feel my concentration levels are waning!

Edited by sonyc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Counting of deaths in England is finally being brought into line with every other country. People who had a positive test in March and got run over by a bus in July will no longer be counted as Covid deaths. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Counting of deaths in England is finally being brought into line with every other country. People who had a positive test in March and got run over by a bus in July will no longer be counted as Covid deaths. 

Again just over a 1000 new cases today.

The reporting by the government seems as changeable as the weather at the moment. Perhaps we should simply use the ONS data in the future. We know for example that excess deaths are currently below the yearly average and have been for some time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Positives slightly up but other indicators still flat or down.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Again just over a 1000 new cases today.

The reporting by the government seems as changeable as the weather at the moment. Perhaps we should simply use the ONS data in the future. We know for example that excess deaths are currently below the yearly average and have been for some time. 

PHE numbers have been out of kilter with ONS for several months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Counting of deaths in England is finally being brought into line with every other country. People who had a positive test in March and got run over by a bus in July will no longer be counted as Covid deaths. 

Were you listening to More Or Less? A good episode today explaining the different types of counting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000llw2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Herman said:

Were you listening to More Or Less? A good episode today explaining the different types of counting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000llw2

Yes very interesting Herman. It shows that the announcement that Scotland had no deaths for five weeks was playing fast and loose with the truth. It is also further confirmation that the ONS are likely to be the most accurate over time. 

The PHE method would have you as a Covid death if you ever tested positive this year and then lived for another 50 years. Obviously nonsensical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Counting of deaths in England is finally being brought into line with every other country. People who had a positive test in March and got run over by a bus in July will no longer be counted as Covid deaths. 

just as the best way to fatten a pig is not to keep weighing it

these silly numbers bear no relation to dealing with the virus - and serve only to over excite the nerds that lurk amongst normal society

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see that doesn't include the specific numbers, which rather proves my point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ricardo said:

image.thumb.png.84300bcf139d4ede7857eaf351e9abfe.png

An interesting comparison chart for all us "nerds".

I guess all forms of measurement have strengths and weaknesses when planning next steps. The trick is to know what these are.

I'm not an advocate of this but does your data give a suggestion as to when we might be at 'net zero' for excess deaths?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ricardo said:

It is also further confirmation that the ONS are likely to be the most accurate over time.

If that's the case, Ricardo, the government should cease wrecking the economy any further...

The ONS says that overall deaths are below average for the time of year for the seventh consecutive week and COVID-19 deaths are at a 19-week low --- In the week ending July 31 there were 193 deaths that had COVID-19 on the death certificate, which makes three months of falls since a weekly peak of 8,758 in April - It's the lowest figure since 103 died in the week ending March 20, before lockdown.

928 people died of flu or pneumonia in the last week of July -- The 7th consecutive week in which more people had died of flu or pneumonia than of COVID-19.

While fewer than usual died in care homes and hospitals, 676 more died at home than average -- Experts say this is because people are staying away from the NHS out of fear.

The ONS tells us we are now well below normal average deaths, so the government should cease with their stupidity in believing Marxist professors and end the lockdown.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Yes very interesting Herman. It shows that the announcement that Scotland had no deaths for five weeks was playing fast and loose with the truth. It is also further confirmation that the ONS are likely to be the most accurate over time. 

The PHE method would have you as a Covid death if you ever tested positive this year and then lived for another 50 years. Obviously nonsensical.

This has been an recognised for some time now. Surprised it’s taken so long to resolve. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Jools said:

If that's the case, Ricardo, the government should cease wrecking the economy any further...

The ONS says that overall deaths are below average for the time of year for the seventh consecutive week and COVID-19 deaths are at a 19-week low --- In the week ending July 31 there were 193 deaths that had COVID-19 on the death certificate, which makes three months of falls since a weekly peak of 8,758 in April - It's the lowest figure since 103 died in the week ending March 20, before lockdown.

928 people died of flu or pneumonia in the last week of July -- The 7th consecutive week in which more people had died of flu or pneumonia than of COVID-19.

While fewer than usual died in care homes and hospitals, 676 more died at home than average -- Experts say this is because people are staying away from the NHS out of fear.

The ONS tells us we are now well below normal average deaths, so the government should cease with their stupidity in believing Marxist professors and end the lockdown.

I thought the lockdown had ended, apart from a few local areas 

Have I got that wrong?

I was thinking of coming to the UK at the end of next week 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Yes very interesting Herman. It shows that the announcement that Scotland had no deaths for five weeks was playing fast and loose with the truth. It is also further confirmation that the ONS are likely to be the most accurate over time. 

The PHE method would have you as a Covid death if you ever tested positive this year and then lived for another 50 years. Obviously nonsensical.

Takes 5000 deaths off the U.K.Covid death figures,according to the Telegraph

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

I thought the lockdown had ended, apart from a few local areas 

Have I got that wrong?

I was thinking of coming to the UK at the end of next week 

Not wrong, but over 1000 new infections a day, how does that compare with the Ice 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Van wink said:

Takes 5000 deaths off the U.K.Covid death figures,according to the Telegraph

I'll wager good money now that the figure will end up a lot higher than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Takes 5000 deaths off the U.K.Covid death figures,according to the Telegraph

"That's good news for the families of the 5000 who have not died" (John Crace today)

 

The real comparitor will be those excess death figures  between countries once the virus has passed through (hopefully it does)

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sonyc said:

"That's good news for the families of the 5000 who have not died" (John Crace today)

Silly remark isn’t it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Silly remark isn’t it. 

It is in one sense but I think in another way he is simply explaining there is a human cost and that actual figures don't really matter. That's my reading of his comment anyway.

Edited by sonyc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Jools said:

 end the lockdown.

ah yes, that lockdown which only affects where you live.... Cromer isn't it ?

maybe you could meet up with n#hand crank who claims frequent visits to West Runton

odd how you cranks seem to get things wrong about what is happening in the UK - just hand crank once told us that he had been flat out dealing with 'track and trace', yet not a peep since

but plenty of similar guff about how the government didn't mess up dealing with it the virus, and their constant attempts to lower the death toll

strange folk these righty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Not wrong, but over 1000 new infections a day, how does that compare with the Ice 😀

We had it down to just one case in the country, total, in mid June 

Then they opened up the border a little. Though there is testing at the border  a couple of cases got through. 

There was 4 new cases today, I believe. One  day last week there was 13. Just over a  hundred, total

We can squash it by  closing the border, or imposing quarantine on everyone,  but that would mean abandoning tourism. So now, over the last couple of days, the debate has been which way to go, or how to compromise best

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I was creating a list of which countries to apply quarantine to the U.K. would be on it with the number you have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Jools said:

If that's the case, Ricardo, the government should cease wrecking the economy any further...

The ONS says that overall deaths are below average for the time of year for the seventh consecutive week and COVID-19 deaths are at a 19-week low --- In the week ending July 31 there were 193 deaths that had COVID-19 on the death certificate, which makes three months of falls since a weekly peak of 8,758 in April - It's the lowest figure since 103 died in the week ending March 20, before lockdown.

928 people died of flu or pneumonia in the last week of July -- The 7th consecutive week in which more people had died of flu or pneumonia than of COVID-19.

While fewer than usual died in care homes and hospitals, 676 more died at home than average -- Experts say this is because people are staying away from the NHS out of fear.

The ONS tells us we are now well below normal average deaths, so the government should cease with their stupidity in believing Marxist professors and end the lockdown.

I still think we need to be extremely cautious. Reacting quickly to any sudden upticks  will be key. A lot depends on people observing the rules. You can tell from on here that some people will continue ti be awkward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I suspect most appreciate there is a human cost without his help.

A bit like rearranging deckchairs though isn't it? It's excess deaths that will matter. Of course it's useful that countries measure the same but there's a phrase isn't there?...'comparisons are odious'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I still think we need to be extremely cautious. Reacting quickly to any sudden upticks  will be key. A lot depends on people observing the rules. You can tell from on here that some people will continue ti be awkward.

It’s odd that the virtue signallers are so inclined to spread the infection. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...