Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

20 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Sonyc, check his posts

Fair enough. Any luck on where I criticised the government for being too slow to introduce lockdown initially?

58 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Fair enough. Any luck on where I criticised the government for being too slow to introduce lockdown initially?

you might just have noticed that you have had the same arguments with BB,

whereby he claims something that you never said

then sets himself up, on that basis, as being correct

the penny will drop, eventually

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Aggy said:

Seeing my name check, need to reply. At the moment there are articles about pubs maybe closing again (some Sage advisors) and linking this to the issue of schools re-opening later in terms of reducing the overall level of risk. This is being debated and it's out in the public arena. This is my whole point. If then a decision is made in a week or a few days time that pubs have to shut, people at least understand (though may not of course agree). 

The northern restrictions announced yesterday had no such lead in. Indeed Bradford yesterday reportedly had very few new infections. Ricardo's data above likewise shows the patterns. No wonder there is anger and frustration, NOT at the issue but just basic sensitivity about the latter (especially literally an hour or two ahead of Eid). There is a main article about it in the Independent today and it's on many other outlets. 

There are 6 other towns where there are numbers rising. I'm guessing these will be under scrutiny too.

As for Spain, France, Germany, clearly there are rising infection rates (which may or may not translate into rising death rates). You do just wonder then, as we were a week or two weeks behind their infection curves, whether in a week's time, we may see new infections at over 1000 or towards 2000? I imagine this was expected when lockdown was eased.

Johnson appears to now acting very suddenly as things occur (the Spain quarantine and now the 4.6m northern area restrictions). It doesn't feel like a 'strategy' that engenders public trust as such but you get the sense that it's more akin to the term you used Aggy ('whack a mole').

Edited by sonyc

15 hours ago, sonyc said:

Seeing my name check, need to reply. At the moment there are articles about pubs maybe closing again (some Sage advisors) and linking this to the issue of schools re-opening later in terms of reducing the overall level of risk. This is being debated and it's out in the public arena. This is my whole point. If then a decision is made in a week or a few days time that pubs have to shut, people at least understand (though may not of course agree). 

The northern restrictions announced yesterday had no such lead in. Indeed Bradford yesterday reportedly had very few new infections. Ricardo's data above likewise shows the patterns. No wonder there is anger and frustration, NOT at the issue but just basic sensitivity about the latter (especially literally an hour or two ahead of Eid). There is a main article about it in the Independent today and it's on many other outlets. 

There are 6 other towns where there are numbers rising. I'm guessing these will be under scrutiny too.

As for Spain, France, Germany, clearly there are rising infection rates (which may or may not translate into rising death rates). You do just wonder then, as we were a week or two weeks behind their infection curves, whether in a week's time, we may see new infections at over 1000 or towards 2000? I imagine this was expected when lockdown was eased.

Johnson appears to now acting very suddenly as things occur (the Spain quarantine and now the 4.6m northern area restrictions). It doesn't feel like a 'strategy' that engenders public trust as such but you get the sense that it's more akin to the term you used Aggy ('whack a mole').

Once the analysis is done there is a choice: act immediately at the expense of notice  and clarity or give notice and work at the finer detail at the expense of speed of action. 

The pattern had been set now though so hopefully everyone is reminded that this is still running.

1 hour ago, Barbe bleu said:

Once the analysis is done there is a choice: act immediately at the expense of notice  and clarity or give notice and work at the finer detail at the expense of speed of action. 

The pattern had been set now though so hopefully everyone is reminded that this is still running.

‘Immediately’ here meaning over 28 hours later?

I'm curious, so I have to ask: Does anybody here at the Pink'Un know of anyone who has died from the virus or had the virus and survived?

8 minutes ago, Jools said:

I'm curious, so I have to ask: Does anybody here at the Pink'Un know of anyone who has died from the virus or had the virus and survived?

personally know? no to both questions

19 minutes ago, Jools said:

Two colleagues working at company in Essex. Spoke to one of them when they were first off. Both OK now but had no doubt at all it was bad.

Posted (edited)

3 people that I know have had it. None of them serious* because of their ages and health but one with ongoing health issues. The third one is from second hand information but as it came from a family member about another family member I tend to trust their word. You don't have to believe me if you don't want to.

*Serious as in hospitalised.

Edited by Herman

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Herman said:

3 people that I know have had it. None of them serious* because of their ages and health but one with ongoing health issues. The third one is from second hand information but as it came from a family member about another family member I tend to trust their word. You don't have to believe me if you don't want to.

*Serious as in hospitalised.

I believe you.

I know a chap here in Cromer who was hospitalised at the Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital for a couple of weeks back in April --- He's a 60 years of age 60 fags per day smoker and he wasn't put on a ventilator -- He reckons it was no worse than the Winter flu he suffered several years ago and that he could've recuperated at home.

Edited by Jools

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jools said:

You obviously did not read my post saying that Mrs Shrimps brother in law was one of the first three people to die in the QEH of covid 19.

Edited by SHRIMPER

A friends father died within two days of going into JPH. Another friend had all the symptoms, tested negative BUT is still not 100% after two months.

22 hours ago, ricardo said:

Yes, but they are just the totals infected on that day, the accumulated totals will obviously be higher and people remain infectious for more than one day. Also if you look at Bradford over the last 7 days you will find 230 plus cases to Norwich' s 1.

The figure for Norwich is wrong, which makes me wonder about the other data

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, ricardo said:

BBC site, official numbers from Gov.UK dashboard.

area

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

I’m not doubting that those are the quoted figures Ricardo, but I know that the figure should be higher. A bit odd!! 

Edited by Van wink

17 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I’m not doubting that those are the quoted figures Ricardo, but I know that the figure should be higher. A bit odd!! 

Yes, maybe a timing delay?

4 hours ago, Jools said:

I believe Canary Dan had symptoms and reported on this messageboard and explained his symptoms and hospitalisation, indeed how he was a very healthy bloke but it still knocked him hard. I believe also a couple of people have lost their mothers in care homes (as i did too at the end of January and I do not believe she had the symptoms but was extremely frail).

Posted (edited)

I'm curious as to the view of others in getting the schools largely back in about 4 weeks .. and the costs we must all bear to do it. The childrens education and futures are paramount.

I'm tempted to throw the whole country back into full-lock known for August.. as tough (& no Cummings excuses) as ever in an attempt to get the virus to effectively zero before the kids return nationally.

Yes unpopular, but else we will keep stumbling along into the winter with even higher costs.

Edited by Yellow Fever

On 01/08/2020 at 14:54, Barbe bleu said:

I wonder how much this was discussed.  You could probably sanitize an area, say Cornwall, with a massive influx of resources and isolation until vaccine and then move outwards.

Question is would the regional economy survive and would the resources not be better spent elsewhere. 

The thing is we don't know and we don't know because of the lack of transparency in the governments decision making. The only way to enable regional economies to survive in the absence of a vaccine is to adopt a zero Covid approach. It is the best use of resources, and Sunak promised he would do whatever it takes.

12 hours ago, BigFish said:

The thing is we don't know and we don't know because of the lack of transparency in the governments decision making. The only way to enable regional economies to survive in the absence of a vaccine is to adopt a zero Covid approach. It is the best use of resources, and Sunak promised he would do whatever it takes.

Zero covid sounds great but its ridiculously hard to achieve. Even New Zealand with all its advantages is struggling to get there.  Most nations are now following the Swedish model and just accepting some minor spread but trying to confine it to the less vulnerable population. 

14 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

I'm curious as to the view of others in getting the schools largely back in about 4 weeks .. and the costs we must all bear to do it. The childrens education and futures are paramount.

I'm tempted to throw the whole country back into full-lock known for August.. as tough (& no Cummings excuses) as ever in an attempt to get the virus to effectively zero before the kids return nationally.

Yes unpopular, but else we will keep stumbling along into the winter with even higher costs.

the problem with the thought of zero virus is that it is not in our hands

the pandemic of 1918 died out of its own volition.

As we don't have the resources to test everyone we don't know who is a carrier and could therefore trigger another outbreak

Without a foolproof vaccination the only way you can have zero virus is when all those who are possible carriers have died - the rest is just wishful thinking

2 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

Zero covid sounds great but its ridiculously hard to achieve. Even New Zealand with all its advantages is struggling to get there.  Most nations are now following the Swedish model and just accepting some minor spread but trying to confine it to the less vulnerable population. 

All true @Barbe bleu, but the point is that as a stretch target it diminishes community transmission significantly even if it doesn't eradicate the virus totally. ONS estimates that the current regime is resulting in c4k infections per day so obviously isn't working in England but Scotland is doing nicely with a firmer approach. Oh, and the current English approach has torched the economy in any case.

3 hours ago, Bill said:

the problem with the thought of zero virus is that it is not in our hands

the pandemic of 1918 died out of its own volition.

As we don't have the resources to test everyone we don't know who is a carrier and could therefore trigger another outbreak

Without a foolproof vaccination the only way you can have zero virus is when all those who are possible carriers have died - the rest is just wishful thinking

You will never get zero - but as Big F notes a near zero target - not bumbling along as we are with 1000 or so well dispersed waiting to explode. 

49 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

You will never get zero - but as Big F notes a near zero target - not bumbling along as we are with 1000 or so well dispersed waiting to explode. 

Thats the path that spain is following.   Deaths are/appear to be/might be well down at the moment so might not be the worst thing.  Can we protect the venerable though?

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Thats the path that spain is following.   Deaths are/appear to be/might be well down at the moment so might not be the worst thing.  Can we protect the venerable though?

I would prefer that they concentrate on the vulnerable personally.😁

Edited by ricardo

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

I would prefer that thet concentrate on the vulnerable personally.😁

But there is so much wisdom amongst the venerable, surely they need to be protected as well😀

13 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Sod the venerable . They have it too cushy already . 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I agree. But of course the very select few of us who are actually venerated😇 need and deserve the most careful protection...

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

what about the meek........................... they never get much of a deal

blessed are the meek

Edited by Bill